Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gfish49366

Miele W4842 and T9822 Opinions

gfish49366
14 years ago

Anyone who has purchased the Miele W4842 washer and T9822 gas dryer. Curious to see how you like them. How is the shaking on the washer? Looking at purchasing the chocolate brown version.

Also, looking at the Electrolux models too, but think Miele is probably better.

Thanks,

Greg

Comments (52)

• gfish49366
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Does the washing machine vibrate a lot? Does the dryer do a good job drying. Wish it was a steam dryer, they seem to have the benefit of helping keep clothes more wrinkle free.

We have a Kenmore Elite He4 and it is terrible at vibrating.
    Was never impressed with the Kenmore to begin with. I wonder why Consumer reports always ranks them so high?

• suburbanmd
    14 years ago

I have W4840 washer since Sept. 2008 (still using an old dryer). It does an awesome job...whole different level of "clean" compared to old-style top-loader. No problem with vibration on a very sturdy wooden first floor over a basement. I can imagine vibration being a problem if your floor is bouncy.

Judging from the Electrolux specs, I doubt it can clean as well as the Miele -- wash cycles are much shorter, wash temperature choices are fewer and cooler, and wash temperatures aren't guaranteed by the heater (except for sanitary cycle). And AFAIK it has no special comforter cycle, a puzzling omission in a machine that seems ideal for washing large comforters.

monaw, have you determined if the W4842 uses the heater on the Normal cycle? The W4840 doesn't, but has the Custom cycle as an alternative.

• lip2000
    14 years ago

Don't be fooled by the steam drying marketing...imo anyway for whatever that is worth...

Next to no vibration on my washer at top speed(I think it's 1200 or 1400rpm...). Like any washer though it's got to be level.

Have you seen the units in person? Look at the build quality(robust hinges made of metal, heavy door with real glass, complete metal cabinet, etc...) an compare it to the electrolux. Again, I don't know much about the Electrolux units myself.

• monaw
    14 years ago

I just had the 4842 washer with matching electric dryer installed on second floor one week ago today. This is my first Miele washer and dryer and first front loader. I love them. Check out my post "Possible cure for second floor..." which explains what I did to reinforce the floor plus add padding. I would do this for any front loader not going on concrete. It's totally worth the extra trouble. These machines are powerful and need to be perfectly balanced and it helps to have a balanced load! The padding insures no walking and I think truly helps with vibration issues.
    No vibration problems although balance on mine needs to be tweaked a bit as the level shows it's slightly off so I'm calling the installers back to deal with it.
    So far very pleased with cleaning. I think the washer does an excellent job!
    I also really like the dryer. There's nothing I would change about it.
    It will dry the clothes bone dry if you wish. I am a 5 to 10 minute dry and then hang person, except for towels, socks, small items-
    Good luck!

• fahrenheit_451
    14 years ago

Looking at purchasing the chocolate brown version.

I believe that this specific color was only for the W 4840 and T 9820 or T 9800 as special edition with a factory ten (10) warranty included. You might wish to check with Miele to learn whether they are going to have this color with the newer models.

• sshrivastava
    14 years ago

I TOOK THE PLUNGE!

New W4842 and T9802 arriving on Thursday!

• aamassther
    14 years ago

sshriastava, Congratulations! I've been coveting the Miele also. Are you keeping the Asko? I love having two washers and dryers, you'll be amazed at how quickly wash goes.

• monaw
    14 years ago

Congrats! You won't be sorry!
    You must try Persil.
    Try the "Extra White" cycle with two tablespoons of Persil Universal and watch what happens to your old whites. That will get you going!

• sshrivastava
    14 years ago

Monaw,

How much Persil do you use for a full, soiled load? Do you have hard or soft water? I use 1 TBS in my Asko, but assume I'll need to increase that to at least 2-3 TBS due to the Miele's higher capacity. I have soft water.

• lip2000
    14 years ago

I've got hard water...2-3tbs makes me laugh considering how much I have to use...I use the recommendations which is about 10x more than what you guys use...

• gfish49366
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the all the feedback. Really enjoy reading it. I found the Chocolate Brown version here:

http://www.universal-akb.com/w4842-t9822.html

I think we will end up going with these units. The only thing that bothers me some, is their is no certified Miele service rep in the Cleveland, OH area. So, I wonder if this will be an issue if I have problems with the machines?

• fahrenheit_451
    14 years ago

The only thing that bothers me some, is their is no certified Miele service rep in the Cleveland, OH area. So, I wonder if this will be an issue if I have problems with the machines?

I would call Miele and determine how they handle service calls based upon your address. Also, determine whether you are receiving the ten (10) Miele warranty (a big plus). Since your machines will be a refinement of the first series, much of the firmware programming should be resolved. They've changed the exhaust a bit on the dryer and allowed more installation configurations and better flow, and what appears to be the final resolve for the lint screen (there were three (3) screens made for the dryer). Enjoy, you're receiving above average units that clean very wellÃand now dry well too!

• fahrenheit_451
    14 years ago

How much Persil do you use for a full, soiled load? Do you have hard or soft water? I use 1 TBS in my Asko, but assume I'll need to increase that to at least 2-3 TBS due to the Miele's higher capacity. I have soft water.

A very savvy Miele tech who actually owns these units, and provides feedback to Miele warned me to only run no more than two (2) tablespoons. Persil/Miele (made by Henkel) works very well in these units. I was warned to stay away from the eco detergents as they appear to be gumming matters; avoid OxiClean too (over sudsing).

WARNING: When you use too much determentÃand the wrong detergentÃthe heating elements can go into a shutdown mode because of over sudsing, and coating of the elements. Your washer will then start throwing faults. At this point is imperative that use a descaler to restore the washer's efficiency. The once monthly Sanitize cycle (now incorporated into the newer models as MasterCare: Clean Machine).

• monaw
    14 years ago

sshrivastava, In Atlanta we have water that's neither soft nor hard, and I usually use 1 tablespoon unless it's a larger load and then I might do two. Or if it's a load with some stains I might do two. (of the Universal) The other day I did three tablespoons of the Color Megapearls and I think there were almost too many suds. I should think if you have super soft water, you may not even need a tablespoon! I guess the only way to determine is just to experiment and see how many suds you get. The Miele guy said one tablespoon. I'm absolutely shocked at how brights the whites are coming out. Even dirt stained on the bottom socks are looking new! Miele guy mentioned something about if things had been bleached it may take washing twice before you really see the brightness. (whatever that means)

• sshrivastava
    14 years ago

I'm definitely excited! Most of my average loads meet or exceed the capacity of my Asko which is 5.5 kg. I believe I read somewhere that my tub capacity is 1.96 cuft. So the new Miele will be 204% larger than what I have now and with a 11 kg capacity, enabling me to double the amount of laundry I can do at once.

I am currently using 1 TBS of Persil for a full load in my Asko. Extrapolating for the MIele's larger volume should give great results with 2 TBS. Watching the videos, it seemed to me that the Miele's tub turns faster than my Asko. The wash action appears to be more aggressive, which should be great for stain removal.

• lip2000
    14 years ago

You soft water people must save a ton on soaps and detergents in your house...I can't stand soft water for showering but their sure are advantages with the amount of soap you need to clean!

• monaw
    14 years ago

sshrivastava, You're going to be blown away by the amount of clothes you can wash in a load. In fact more is better for balanced load as long as you don't overload...I'm still learning and finding that I can put quite a bit more in than I think!
    Seriously, if you have soft water, you might want to start with one tablespoon . While on the subject of detergent, do you use the Megaperls or the Universal? I'm not quite sure what the differences in the two are, except that one is much more expensive. I've noticed also that for some reason it is much more expensive per ounce to buy larger quantities than to buy the smaller boxes in the Universal. Go figure...?
    For example, on Amazon you can get the 35 load box for $24.99, but then the 80 load box is like $95, so I could by two 35 load boxes for $50. I don't get that! You can buy a case of three 35 load boxes for $72!
    Why on Earth would someone spend $95 for an 80 load box when you can get 105 loads for $72, not to mention not having to mess with gigantic boxes that are hard to store! You'd think the price would go down per ounce in bulk.

As for water, I know you can get a tech to increase the water in these machines, but I'm finding that everything's coming out perfectly clean and well rinsed.

Anyway I hope you come back here after your machines are installed on Thursday and let us know how you're liking them. Remember a "stall pad" if the vibration gets to be too much for you or if washer should walk! It's very powerful! :) Also the stands are supposed to make them vibrate more. I don't have the stands. (not recommended for second floor)

• sshrivastava
    14 years ago

Thanks Monaw, looking forward to seeing how much I can fit!

Can anyone shed some light on IEC vs. DOE capacity ratings? The Miele is rated at 4.0 cuft IEC but only 3.07 cuft DOE. Asko's big model is 4.55 cuft IEC and 3.96 cuft DOE. Maytag has a model that is 5.0 cuft IEC. Is the Miele really that small compared to the others?

• gfish49366
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, we ended up buying the W4842 and T9822, plus pedestals in the Chocolate Brown color. We should hopefully get them delivered on April 2nd. Can't wait to see them and try them out. Hopefully they will be as good as everyone say they are. We passed on the Electrolux.

Has anyone used the remotevision?

• hidroman
    14 years ago

I'm a Miele fan too :) ... but forgive me : name it RemoteVision or InfoControl as here, IMHO that thing are 200 dollars flushed down in that place ...

If you need the RemoteVision cause your house is so wide that you have to walk for miles to get to the washer .... I guess you have also some personnel that takes care of the washer at your place :)

• sshrivastava
    14 years ago

Remote Vision has nothing to do with controlling your machine remotely. Remote Vision will electronically (through WiFi/internet) report to Miele any faults or trouble your machine has. Miele is offering a special right now with their extended warranties - essentially you get the Remote Vision for $99 at the time of purchase, which is steeply discounted from what you would pay if you bought it later.

However, I don't see the usefulness of having the machine contact Miele if it has a fault. It's pretty obvious if there's a fault - it flashes and beeps at you - and you can give a call to Miele yourself. Perhaps the Remote Vision also provides other important operational data to their service teams, but it's a one-way device. Miele cannot re-program your machine using the Remote Vision, which is a shame.

• gfish49366
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That is a shame it is one way. If it is two way that would be a better benefit.

• hidroman
    14 years ago

I'm sorry.... I meant the remote control/display thing.

This one is a different thing we haven't here. The usefulness is in the fact that Miele Service headquarters can gain precious time in planning the service call. They are aware of your machine fault even before you call them, this way the repairman will come to your home already aware of what he is about to do and carrying the proper spare parts. Your country is really wide and spare parts have long trips eg coast to coast. L.A is four or fivefolds farer from Princeton than me in Northern Italy from Miele headquarters in Northern Germany

• gfish49366
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We had the Miele W4842 and T9822 installed today. They look gorgeous, however so far we are extremely disappointed in the washer. It vibrates worse than the Kenmore HE4T it replaced. I checked to make sure it was level and it was. Just called Miele to schedule a service visit. We are feeling terrible right now about our expensive purchase and if they can't correct it, really wish we would have purchased the Electrolux, because we knew that did not vibrate. Sure hope it works out, they are beautiful machines in hot chocolate color. Would rather have no vibration though.

• ghetterly
    14 years ago

gfish,

Just remember, when Miele can't deliver on their "Immer Bresser" motto, just ask for a full refund.

See this thread for a suggestion on what to do then.

Here is a link that might be useful: Forget Miele Laundry and buy a Speed Queen TL

• gfish49366
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion. I was just reading about their 90 day guarantee. Makes us feel a little better, but I hope they can just make it work.

• hidroman
    14 years ago

ghfish,

are you sure the shipping struts have been *actually* removed ?

• gfish49366
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes - the shipping struts were removed.

• sshrivastava
    14 years ago

Do you have the pedestals? I've heard that all machines vibrate a little bit more when installed atop pedestals. Also make sure that the attachment bolts are tightened properly on the pedestals, if that's what you have.

• gfish49366
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, we have the pedestals. I thought about that too. I just did a wash again and it vibrate like crazy. The pedestals seem like they are fine though. I can't believe how bad it is. There must be something wrong with it.

We had to front loaders before, a Bosch (which was very quiet, should have kept it) and an He4T. Neither were like this.

Did not hear from Miele today, but I think it was a holiday for them. Sure hope they can fix it, because I really want to keep them.

• fahrenheit_451
    14 years ago

I can't believe how bad it is. There must be something wrong with it.This is certainly not normal. Our spins like crazy (W 4840), but vibrates very little.

• suburbanmd
    14 years ago

Maybe the weight isn't distributed equally among the four legs. Try leaning on each corner of the machine and see if it rocks at all. It shouldn't.

• larsi_gw
    14 years ago

Our new W4842 was shaking and vibrating so badly, I finally called Miele and set up a Service call. The Technician came out, and we tried a small-medium sized load of towels. Sure enough (luckily while he was here :), when the Max Spin cycle started...the Machine began to shake and vibrate horribly. He stopped the cycle, and took the pedestal drawer out. Sure enough, when the machine was set up (by Miele authorized delivery), a bolt (or 2) was not tightened on the pedestal/machine connection. MUCH, MUCH better now.

Where the new Samsungs, LG, Kenmore Elite have all these fancy VRT, Zero vibration, etc, etc...Miele does NOT have this. They are just tank like, and built to last, but they are not the quietest. Read the Samsung or LG washer websites, and you will see so much about Silent wash, zero vibration, whisper quiet, run on 2nd floor, no neighbor disturbing, etc, etc. Read the Miele website or a brochure...NO where will you see any claims of being whisper quiet or vibration free. Miele is louder, but the build quality is THE BEST!!!

• sshrivastava
    14 years ago

The drum chassis in Asko's European sized machines are physically isolated from the exterior case. Once I forgot a glass of wine on top of my Asko and heard it go into high spin. I panicked and ran back into the laundry room, only to find my glass of wine sitting right where I left it. My Miele sales representative said the Miele is not isolated from the exterior case. In fact, the drum is suspended from it and vibrations can and should be expected. According to my local Miele representative, as long as the washer isn't banging or walking across the floor, it is functioning normally.

For those who have the pedestals, Miele installation instructions require the two pedestals to be connected to each other. However, Miele field service reps train installers NOT to attach the pedestals together. Apparently this has no effect on vibration one way or the other.

• hidroman
    14 years ago

Shivastava, that's true !

ASKO frontloaders have the door straight on the outer tub like commercial frontloaders, while residential and small commercial mieles have the rubber boot that connects the tub with the exterior case/cabinet.Not a case many laundry machinery manufacturers often rebadge ASKO machines with their own badges this is a Primus

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• jcflys
    14 years ago

We have the same set in white with an electric dryer and have been very happy with them. We had to have the installers come back and tighten a bolt on the pedestal base part, but other than that they run great. At max spin, the washer will make some noise even on a solid floor. Awesome machines.

• gfish49366
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes - I think their cleaning ability is great so far. The tech is coming on Monday, so I sure hope he can fix the vibration problem. I appreciate everyone's suggestions.

• Cyberspacer
    14 years ago

In three words: " they are good sh(*t."

• larsi_gw
    14 years ago

gfish...We had a new W4842 delivered on Friday 4/16/10. The shaking/vibrating and noise was unreal. Miele authorized installers came out again on Saturday, but they could not make it better. The machine is level, and ALL 4 rubber feet were making contact with the floor and also level and tightened. The floor is thick, solid marble (not a thin plywood floor with laminate flooring). The shaking and vibrating is SO bad, pictures on the wall move. Honestly, I knew this was ripping the machine apart.

This was the 2nd bad W4842. Materials used to build the W4842 (metals, glass and plastics are beautiful)...but I am OVER Miele wash machines!

New W4842 delivered on Friday....New Electrolux Wave touch washer and Wave touch dryer delivered on Sunday. Our Miele T9800 dryer worked great, but it looked odd next to the super modern Electrolux washer.

I've done about 12 loads so far in the 4.7 ft Electrolux Wave touch washer, and let me tell you....even at 1350 rpm spin, you could set a stack of stacked cards on top & then would not fall down. It is amazingly quiet. Plastics are not as refined as what Miele uses, but the metals and glass are great on the Electrolux. Wash cycles are offered, and it seems to use a nice amount of water for washes and rinses. Not wasteful or excessive, but honestly I was surprised that my clothes are softer, fresher and fluffier.

The 8 cu ft dryer is a DREAM. There is SO much room, clothes just dance around. The reverse drum cycle (a la Miele) is a must. Glad we spent the extra $ on the wave touch (the IQ model does not offer Perfect Tumble).

LOVE the Electrolux!!! I still am VERY happy with my Miele dishwasher, ovens and vacuums...but after having 2 W840s and 2 W842s, I was done!! Only 1/4 of our W48xx models were not defective from day one!

Let us know what Miele does for you. Thanks!

• gfish49366
    Original Author
    14 years ago

larsi - just posted a response in your Miele - Electrolux thread. Really appreciate the input. I can't believe how badly they vibrate for such an expensive machine. I guess I expected near perfection. We you able to return your washer and dryer under Miele's 90 day guarantee?

Too think, we almost just started with the Electrolux.

• crashbox
    13 years ago

Even though this thread is a bit dated, I figured I would throw in my two cents' worth on the W4842 which I just received about 24 hours ago.

First of all, this thing is HEAVY. My neighbor and I really had a challenge going down the basement stairs with it. If you choose to do the installation yourself I strongly advise using a hand truck with retaining straps (which is what we did)!

Second- I found the setup of this machine pretty straightforward. Remove the two shipping struts, take great care in getting the machine as level as you possibly can (this cannot be overemphasized IMO), hook up the water and drain hose, plug 'er in and you should be good to go.

Third- in my opinion Miele really put a lot of thought and research in their MasterCare programs. My observation is that this machine practically thinks for itself. I do wish you could choose spin speeds in the "normal" program, though (of course, the "custom" program is almost wide-open!). Having MAX speed as the only option in a program designed to handle the bulk of wash needs is bound to significantly reduce drum bearing life IMO; probably done to get the Energy Star rating...???? (I actually lowered the MAX speed to 1200 RPM via Program Mode to help it enjoy a longer life).

Fourth- the build quality of the W4842 seems to be very solid. It should last longer than my old warsher did.

Since I do not have the T9822 (yet) I can't comment on it but when my present dryer bites the dust I do plan on purchasing it or whatever Miele would currently have as its equivalent.

This is my very first Miele appliance and hopefully it turns out as good as others say about them.

Oh, did I mention that the W4842 seems to be SOLIDLY built?

• sshrivastava
    12 years ago

I was perusing the vZug website. If you want to see some sexy appliances, this is the place to go! What intrigues me is the fact that vZug's machines are advertised as 8 kg machines (same as W4842) but with a 60 liter drum volume. Miele's drum volume is 80 liters, so shouldn't the Miele W484X series have a 10-11 kg capacity if calculated the same way?

I noticed the following instruction in the Miele manual:
    Fill the drum only 3/4 of the way. Items need room to move otherwise they might get caught in the drum door seal.Guess what? 3/4 of 10-11 kg is right around 8 kg. I believe the Miele drum, if stuffed, can take 10-11 kg but Miele recommends you only fill it 3/4 full, to 8 kg capacity. This also explains why the machine has always felt that it took almost double the amount of clothes of my 5 kg Asko.

Any thoughts on this?

• suburbanmd
    12 years ago

The instruction about filling 3/4 full applies to the Normal cycle only. That's how it's written, and that's how I take it. I never use the Normal cycle.

• larsi_gw
    12 years ago

I have obsessed at the V Zug website for YEARS!! If we ever move back to Germany or Sweden (and have thought about Alsace France for years)...I will SERIOUSLY consider V Zug Swiss appliances. They are for sure a DIRECT Miele competior in Europe!!!

• sshrivastava
    12 years ago

@ suburbanmd

Why do you think they recommend a 3/4 full drum on Normal but not on Extra White or any other cycle? That seems strange.

• suburbanmd
    12 years ago

It's so strange that they can't mean it the way it's written. Since it isn't clear what they do mean, I'm not going to limit myself to 3/4 loads all the time, especially when I've never had a problem with items getting stuck in the door seal. How do you measure a 3/4 load anyway? 3/4 by height or by volume (how would you measure that?)?

• sshrivastava
    12 years ago

@ suburbanmd

Regarding measuring... I'm afraid if I tried, my family would have me committed. I also stuff my machine quite full on occasion, most recently using Sanitary. I ran the load through an extra rinse cycle just to be safe, since the rinse levels were so low, but everything came out shining. I put some curry and turmeric stained kitchen towels into that load and told myself I'd be lucky if the stains would at least fade significantly. No pre-treating, just Persil Megaperls and sodium percarbonate. Bam! White like nobody's business.

Possibility of adding a 4th rinse...

I read somewhere, or maybe it was a dream, who knows... anyways, supposedly you can get 4 rinses if you set the spin speed to slow at the beginning of the wash cycle. At the start of the rinse cycle, change the speed to your actual desired speed. The spin speed can still be changed. The hypothesis being as follows: When a cycle is set to a slow spin speed, the machine automatically adds a rinse to compensate. At the beginning of the rinse cycle, the machine sees the slow spin speed and sets itself to do three rinses versus the standard two. If you have also pressed Sensitive, you get an additional 4th rinse. Has anyone tried this?

• suburbanmd
    12 years ago

On my W4840, on the Custom cycle at least (and maybe others), choosing Slow or Medium spin increases the estimated cycle time by around 10 minutes, an indication that it's adding another rinse. If Sensitive was already selected, then the additional rinse makes four. The question is whether, if you increase the spin speed later, will it take away the extra rinse?

I've never seen four rinses due to choosing a low spin speed (because I don't use low spin speeds), but I have seen it when the machine couldn't achieve a fast enough spin between the wash and the first rinse. In that case it adds time to the cycle as above, corresponding to an additional rinse, which I've seen happen.

• whirlpool_trainee
    12 years ago

Yes, spin speeds of less than 700 rpm will trigger an extra rinse - at least on Euro models. Another fun thing to try is to set the spin speed to "No Spin" during a rinse spin. I did that once and the machine immediately filled with rinse water through the door nozzle - no slowing down! :)

As far a capacity claims: LG sells an 11 kg washer with a 78 liters drum. Samsung just released a 12 kg unit in the UK. I wonder how hard one has to stuff to get that much laundry in these Euro-washers. My Bauknecht big (European Duet) has 92 liters capacity. If I put 11 kg in there, which is its rated capacity, it is full to the top.

Here is a link that might be useful: Samsung 12 kg washing machine

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz