Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Whitener needed

Posted by sayhellonow (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 16, 11 at 19:39

My dtr gave me a lovely blouse she bought at Marks & Spencer in England. Unfortunately, before she could get it to me, her AC filter went haywire and started spewing soot throughout her entire house. So what I have is a "dingy" white, gorgeous blouse.

It feels and looks like cotton, but there is no tag in it which gives the kind of fabric or cleaning instructions. I have washed it, but it's still dingy.

Can anyone help me?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Whitener needed

Take it to a good dry cleaners. Tell them it has soot on it. They are pretty good about getting out tough dirt and they will know what kind of fabric it is - or at least make a good guess. Washing it may make it worse.

o

That's good advice, although I'm not sure I can trust my local drycleaning shops. The only three in my area have all damaged my clothing at one time or another.

Someone said that dishwasher detergent will take out food stains because it breaks down the enzymes. Does anyone know if that might apply to dirt as well?

Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated. The blouse is lovely and my dtr paid a lot of money for it.

o

Try ALL liquid detergent in the designer shaped bottle (not the one in the old standard bottle.) Don't know why, but when I've tried everything else, this is the one that works for me. You may try adding a little Clorox 2.

o

Headed to the store now for ALL and Clorox 2, saying, "Why didn't I think of that?" I've never used Clorox 2, so it didn't occur to me.

Thanks everyone for your help.

o

Well, it worked and worked beautifully. I found Spray n Wash Max Whites for stains on white things. I saturated the blouse with it, then washed it in Clorox 2. It looks brand new now, and I'm wearing it tonight.

Thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here