Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caryscott

Missing the smell of fresh laundry?

caryscott
14 years ago

When I switched to a front loader I had to change to an HE powder from a regular liquid. I wanted something phosphate free so I switched to Nature Clean Living which is actually manufactured in the Province I live in and is reasonably priced (most grocery chains here stock it). I haven't used dryer sheets for a few years but the Nature Clean Living is fragrance fee and I missed having a bit of fresh laundry smell after the first couple of weeks (might be from the first couple of months I lived here and the dryer exhaust was pushing back through the stove hood because the vent was clogged so I got a lot of laundry smell - I fixed this before putting the new machines in). I looked for something packaged but any fragrance sheets I found were lavender - not for me. I did some google searches and nosed around on here and I decided to try this method: using a few drops of scented oil on a 3"x3" piece of cotton. I used drapery lining which is a bit too flimsy and shreds (a little) so the next batch will be some heavier cotton I have laying around (hopefully then I can re-use the squares - the drapery lining squares curl up and are hard to re-use). I am using a Home Fragrance Oil for the Body Shop called "Line Dried Cotton". Doesn't really stay in your clothes but it smells nice when you open the dryer. I am couple months in and I would say the little bottle should last me at least 4 months (I do about 3 loads a week in an apartment sized pair). At some point I'll add another scent but all in all I would say this was a fairly effective, healthy and economical solution. Read some concerns about transfer from the oil but I haven't had any problems - I just throw the square with about 8 drops of the oil on it in on top of the laundry and start the dryer.

I am open to suggestions if someone is doing something different that is working for them. Thanks.

My Dollarama storage container to store them:

Cotton squares (my Mom sews so she did these with the pinking shears for me):

Line Dried Cotton Home Fragrance Oil from the Body Shop:

Here is a link that might be useful: Body Shop Home Fragrance Oils

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!