Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oranili

Liquid and powder detergent front load

oranili
10 years ago

Hey everyone
I wanted to know if its harm for the machine if i use sometimea liquid and sometimes powder..
I use for my towels and. Underwear powder.
And for other liquid detergent
Its matter to the machine to use regular detergent?
Or i can wash like now without problem?
Thx

Comments (16)

• fordtech
    10 years ago

The key is to not overdose which leads to soap scum buildup between the tubs and gets smelly after awhile. I prefer powders but others who use liquids have good results too if used appropriately. I also recommend at least one HOT wash per week to keep this problem down to a minimum.

• oranili
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I ask if its not harmful for machine if i use powder some times and liquid for other clothes sometimes...
    Or i need use regular detergent not to harm the machine?

• whirlpool_trainee
    10 years ago

Most powdered detergents contain a form of bleach - commonly referred to as oxy bleach - that has sanitizing properties in warm water. The warmer, the better. Liquid detergent does not have this type of bleach, thus won't help keeping your washer as clean as powder can. Nothing wrong with using liquids as part of your laundry routine, just use a powdered detergent and a 60ðC wash on a regular basis and you should be fine. I don't know what kinds of powders you have in Israel but stay away from those that tout being especially for colored clothes as these versions lack oxy bleach.

Alex

• oranili
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If i using liquid for towels they get mildew
    If i use powder its get fresh smell...
    So other clothes i using liquid
    Just towels wash with poder

• whirlpool_trainee
    10 years ago

That is because the powder you are using contains oxygen bleach that eliminates odor-causing bacteria.

• oranili
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes.. So why should i use this liquid ?

• curiousshopper
    10 years ago

If you mix liquid and poder in the same load your washer may explod

• oranili
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I didnt do that.
    After i use one load with liquid second load i put powder..

• whirlpool_trainee
    10 years ago

Why should you use liquid? You don't have to.

• herring_maven
    10 years ago

oranili: "So why should i use this liquid ?"

What I am about to write will challenge some semi-religious convictions; that is not my intent. One needs always to respect religious beliefs, and I do.

Powder detergent can perform no function at all until it is dissolved in the wash water ... at which point it becomes a liquid detergent. By the time that it does, or can do, anything, every laundry detergent is a liquid detergent.

A liquid detergent (out of the bottle) has a head start in dissolving in the wash water over a powder detergent (out of the box). It takes powder a longer time to dissolve into water than it takes a liquid detergent to mix with water

• beaglenc
    10 years ago

Oranili, in a nutshell, no it wont harm your FL. I have heard that powders will over time do harm to the medal parts but take it with a grain of salt. The most important thing to remember is to use HE detergents and not too much. Less is more, just want the water to feel slippery.

• MiMi
    10 years ago

currioushopper... someone is going to come across what you said and believe it... you are a little too honery....

• armjim
    10 years ago

I started using a FL washer 13 years ago. Initially I used Tide Liquid HE. I had a terrible time with my laundry smelling like mildew had set in. I started researching it here and elsewhere on the internet and got the same advice each time: switch to powder. I did and it solved the problem. It is especially of paramount importance if you use Fabric softner, which I do.

• herring_maven
    10 years ago

armjim: "I started researching it here and elsewhere on the internet and got the same advice each time: switch to powder. I did and it solved the problem."

Switching to a different brand of liquid probably would have solved the problem, also. Unless you do your laundry entirely without using any water, what is functioning inside your machine during the wash cycle is liquid, whether you had originally scooped in powder or poured in liquid. The powder detergent does nothing until it is dissolved in the water, and once the detergent is in solution, the detergents are functionally the same.

(My guess is that you had been overdosing the Tide HE.)

• gwarstong
    10 years ago

FWIW....in my many consultations with friends/family/neighbors about why their new HE machines weren't working right, (all FL's) I've found that overdosing was one of the culprits in EVERY instance.

None of of them knew anything about their water quality and none of them paid any attention to product dosage. Pleased to report that once they learned (and actually read their manuals) their machines miraculously worked fine.

Anecdotal, I admit, but combined with what I've read here and elsewhere, my suspicion remains.

• jstagaman
    10 years ago

I've primarily used liquid detergent in front loaders for over 15 years (and fabric softener) and have never had a problem. I generally only use poweder if I want to do a pre-wash (since the liquid will flow right in and not wait until the second wash on my machine).
    I'm inclined to agree that the issues are often due to users over-dosing. It may be hard to believe that such a small amount of detergent will actually get everything clean, but it does.

As to the question asked: yes, you can switch from powder to liquid for different washes with no harm to the machine.

Well done, curiousshopper. Boom!