Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
paint over laminate?

Posted by lovetodream (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 4, 11 at 16:09

We just moved into a new house with a great laundry room. There is a laminate countertop that goes on top of the FL washer/dryer with a laundry sink.

The problem is, I want to paint the laundry room and the color I want to paint it will look terrible with the laminate (for some reason, the laminate is a cool forest green/gray color while the cabinets and tile are more of a warm, orangy tone and I want the paint to go more on the warm side).

Should I paint the laminate? Or would it be as cheap/less hassle to replace the laminate? It's not in bad shape at all but I haven't read a lot of great things about how the paint holds up on laminate and the time it takes to do the process correctly.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: paint over laminate?

In an area where the laminate will get a lot of use, it is usually a bad idea to paint. It chips and flakes easily with the abuse. You can get relatively cheap laminate to replace it, or another idea could be to use contact adhesive to put another kind of laminate sheeting over it.

Good luck with what ever you try.

o

I once painted laminate kitchen cabinets. I used a Benjamin Moore primer for laminate (2 coats), let it dry for several days, then used Behr latex paint, also dried for several days between coats. I think a long cure time is important for painting laminate. It looked good and was very durable. Cheap enough to give it a try before replacing your laminate.

o

You might think about putting a top coat of a urethane over the paint - it might help it hold up. I agree though its usually a bad idea to paint a laminate that gets a lot of abuse. Remember you should lightly rough up the surface area before you paint to help it stick!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here