Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
houseman2

Extended Warranty on HE Top Loader Washers

HouseMan2
13 years ago

Curious from those who have purchased a HE Top Loader Washer, did you get the extended warranty?

Comments (10)

• billp1
    13 years ago

We never buy extended . The original warranty is all we depend on. You would have to weigh the cost of repair for that machine as opposed to the cost of the extended warranty

Dealers love to sell extended warranties. There is good money for them when the sell the extended service. You must read the small print to see what will be covered in you extended warranty . Not always what you think...

• debo_2006
    13 years ago

Yes, we bought a 5 year warranty and it was only $250 for our LG units. Frankly, with all the electronics in these things today, (we) feel it's worth it. One repair will probably cover the cost of the warranty price, and if we don't use it, so what - piece of mind. They just don't build things to last anymore.

Our last Kenmore W/D had to be repaired 6 times between the two and it saved us well over a grand. The mother board went on both twice, among other issues, and it would have cost $350 for a MB replacement each time, plus labor. The first 3 repairs happened within 2 years. We bought those units from Sears so the EW was expensive, but, it ended up paying for itself a few times over. I won't ever buy Kenmore again, that's for sure.

Most people turn the other cheek at EW, but we generally buy them for larger ticket items made up of electronics, and we've had to use them on several TVs, the dishwasher, and the W/D. So, for us, it's worth it.

• HouseMan2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

debi_2006 - I am with you.

Ended up buying both the Whirlpool 5 Cu. Ft. Top-Load Washer (White) Item #: 327248 : Model #: WTW7340XW ($679) and the Whirlpool 7.6 Cu. Ft. Electric Dryer (White) Item #: 327249 : Model #: WED7300XW ($649), then when the moving coupon an additional 10% each appliance, plus FREE delivery. Went with the extended warranty of an additional 4 years for both appliances for only $180.

On the contrary, was initially looking at the comparable Kenmore models which ended up being more expensive, delivery would had been $70, and their 3 year warranty for both appliance would had been over $330 which would had offered one year less coverage.

• mara_2008
    13 years ago

I purchased the extended warranty when I bought my Maytag Bravos w/d set, and I'm very glad I did. I got 4 years extra coverage for $100, which averages out to only $25 per year. Just one "uncovered" visit from a repairman can cost well over $100!

• totsuka
    13 years ago

I always buy the extended warranty for major appliances. I got my money back on each purchase. Especially, on my KitchenAid Dishwasher. (4 visits in 5 years, total savings was about 1000 dollars). Lowes/HD extended warranty is only 100 dollars for 4 years and well worth the investment. Especially with the onboard computers with the fridge/washing/some dryers.

• msboc
    13 years ago

I was just going to start a thread about extended warranties. I have an LG 5101 TL which I love. But I've heard terrible things about LG repair. I bought the machine at Best Buy and plan to buy the matching dryer there.

Is the electronic control board under any warranty with LG? (the salesman told me it wasn't).

Has anyone used Best Buy's black tie vs. regular warranty? I've heard bad things about both. Is there other insurance you can purchase from an independent insurer?

Thans for your help.

• kcred
    13 years ago

We bought our Fisher & Paykel Aquasmart/Aerosmart w/d 3 years ago and got the extended warranty. $200 for 4 additional years of coverage. We've had the set for 3 years now with no problems.
    Even if I never use the warranty, I am glad I bought it for the peace of mind it provides. Service calls are not cheap.
    FWIW, I bought an Apple computer with the extended warranty, $150. The last month of coverage, both the HD and the logic board failed. $650 of parts/labor for free. Again, the peace of mind was worth even if I hadn't needed it.
    Smaller stuff, no extended warranties.

• gates1
    13 years ago

I bought a 4 yrs warranty on my waveforce set for 150.00 to cover both the washer and dryer. I know it cost 80-100 just for a repairman to walk in your door, well worth the money I spent on it

• imacboy
    13 years ago

Def get them. We just moved and left our Crapsko, I mean Asko W/D behind. I am so glad we bought the extended service plan because the lady at the repair place knew me by caller ID. Asko was good to us as well, but we saved a lot of money by buying it. Off topic, but we did it on our F&P dish drawers, again, same appliance repair shop (that's prob how she knew me so well), but we used it several times on them as well.

• dadoes
    13 years ago

I've bought an extended warranty only TWICE, which is largely *never* considering how many appliances and electronics I've purchased.

I've used said warranties only ONCE, on a Kenwood stereo receiver, more than 20 years ago. Had to drive the unit 2.5 hours distance to the store of purchase, although they did ship it back. Stroke of luck, that was the first-and-only warranty purchase up until ...

... The second purchase was on an F&P laundry pair, 6-1/2 years ago. Did not make use of the warranty.