Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phrogvt

is this a lie?

phrog
10 years ago

Just got back from speaking with the local Lowes appliance sales manager about a Samsung FL. From the beginning I thought he was a bit slimy, but I really wondered when he said that "free" installation required buying new water hoses from them if ours aren't brand new.

Well ours are about 10 y.o., but they're the braided steel kind. Also the washer comes with hoses.

Their website doesn't mention this. So what's the deal?

BTW, he also said that it can take longer to get parts for LG and Samsung than for US brands like Whirlpool and Maytag because they may have to come from Korea. I've never read about that before.

This post was edited by phrog on Thu, Feb 6, 14 at 15:46

Comments (8)

• laundryvet
    10 years ago

Phrog,

I switch rubber hoses every 5 to 6 years, as I know that rubber degrades over time, especially to hot water. It's cheap insurance to replace.

Surprised Samsung doesn't give a new set with the washer at those price points. Speed Queen gives you a fresh set with a purchase.

• herring_maven
    10 years ago

phrog: "Just got back from speaking with the local Lowes appliance sales manager about a Samsung FL. From the beginning I thought he was a bit slimy, but I really wondered when he said that "free" installation required buying new water hoses from them if ours aren't brand new."

We purchased our Samsumg washing machine from Lowe's a two or three years back. The price for the machine in the invoice was the price of the machine. We received free installation. We were not required to pay separately for the connection hoses.

Maybe, Lowe's policy has changed since then. Given the competitiveness of appliance retailing, I doubt it.

• dave1812
    10 years ago

for gawd sakes phrog, it's not a good idea to go well past 10 years with stainless. CHANGE THE HOSES and quit griping about Lowes. If you don't like them, go to another store.

• User
    10 years ago

Nope, not a lie. New hoses are required on all machines if you are going to have them do the install. They won't be liable for the damage when the old hoses fail. If you want to keep your old hoses, you will have to do the install. $20 is a darn cheap insurance policyfor a thousand dollar machine.

• MiMi
    10 years ago

The same thing now applies with water lines on refrigerators. I recently bought a new refrigerator at Home Depot and found this out. I told them fine, just don't hook up the water line, I can do it. My husband had just recently added a new braided steel line to the old refrigerator with two water filters in succession.

• scpalmetto
    10 years ago

While I was in Lowe's recently I overheard a salesman apologizing to a customer because they were unable to help them get service on an LG appliance. Later the same day I was in an independent appliance store and when I asked about an LG refrigerator they told me they stopped carrying them because it was next to impossible to get service for them. Finally I called the local repair guy and a friend from out of town, both authorized LG reps and they too steered me away from LG. Although they weren't thrilled with Samsung either they are not supposed to be so hard to work with. I have a Samsung W/D set and love them. You would think LG would get the hint. And, yes, get that new hose.:-)

• phrog
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was in an independent store looking at Electrolux FL's, and noticed that the water hoses are pre-installed in the machine. Would a place like Lowe's remove those and then install the ones I bought from them?

• gwarstong
    10 years ago

IMHO....secure washer hoses and connections are important. Consequences of leaks, I can tell you from experience, can be VERY unpleasant and expensive.

Because of previous bad experience, I toss the hoses supplied with the machine and use these instead. I've used them at two locations for more than ten years. Recommend without hesitation. I also use the goose-neck connections to minimize stress at the connection-points.

I am retail customer only. No association with mfgr or any other vendor.

Here is a link that might be useful: Washer hoses I recommend

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!