Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julescap_gw

mismatched vs matching pair w/d

julescap
13 years ago

Hubby and I are having a "discussion" because My 7 yr washer is dying .We need a new one. He insists washer only. I want matching set. I would agree to washer only if we move them to basement, which has been discussed before. Right now they are in mudroom /laundry room which is backdoor entrance and walk thru to our main floor bathroom.

So... how many of you all have matching or unmatching?

Comments (24)

• moonspinner7
    13 years ago

Matching - but only because they died at the same time!

• kris_zone6
    13 years ago

Matching because they are in a high traffic area.

• livebetter
    13 years ago

Just got brand new matching machines. I am way too particular to live with mismatching. I can see why one would only replace one or choose to buy mismatched but I personally would not be happy.

• dadoes
    13 years ago

I've had matched and mismatched. Mismatched for the past 3 years. I have several washers and occasionally swap them out, dryer stays the same. Anybody visiting my house who is offended is looking too closely at my stuff and concerning themselves with things that aren't their concern, LOL.

• herring_maven
    13 years ago

Our washer and dryer never have matched, ever. The first washer we bought after we were married, I insisted on a front loader, of which there were very few on the market back then, and the Westinghouse model that was the only washer that met our needs was not part of any Westinghouse matching washer/dryer pairing. For the dryer, we wanted a hamper door, anyway, and bought the Sears Kenmore branded made-by-Whirlpool hamper door dryer.

Two decades later, when the Westinghouse washer died and parts to repair it no longer were available (Westinghouse had long since exited the appliance business), we bought a Frigidaire-branded Electrolux front loader, which has required only one repair (the plastic door-lock "finger," which we were able to replace on our own without calling in a repair person) in (so far) 16 years. A year later, we replaced the Kenmore dryer with a Whirlpool-branded hamper door dryer that is internally identical to the Kenmore that it replaced, and that dryer has required only a single repair (the drum belt) in 15 years and counting.

I know that we could have had matching styling, but function and durability considerations trumped style for us.

• asolo
    13 years ago

If you care (and have the bucks) match them. Otherwise, it doesn't matter at all as long as the volume of the dryer matches the volume of the washer.

• covingtoncat
    13 years ago

Mine match now, but they are a stacked set, purchased second hand.

I've had some that were matched (came with the house when purchased) and some not (purchased by me).

When I decided to go from a TL to a FL, I was unwilling to pay several hundred dollars premium just to have them match. I got the largest volume available that would fit my space. I much prefer that dryer to the one I have now.

How well they work and how much they hold was more important to me than how they looked - kinda like people (:

• bigdogmom_pa
    13 years ago

I've had it both ways. However, I now have matched as they are stacked and it's a necessity with the room I have to have them stacked. Otherwise, I would go for what works for you.

• westvillager
    13 years ago

I really like this question. The previous owners of our weekend house was this super eccentric couple who had a brand new commercial-size washer and a dryer from like 1960 or something. She had to get someone from another state to come and fix it and claimed she once waited over 2 months for a part. She swore by its efficacy. They even listed it in the purchase contract, so they moved it with them.

Anywho, I'd choose matching.

• aliris19
    13 years ago

unmatched. But obviously this is entirely a personal question. It's just that personally, I couldn't care less what my machine/s look like. Depends where they're located of course too. YMMV for sure!!

• livebetter
    13 years ago

reyesuela, I donated my still working dryer - so I'm sure a family who needed one is now happy. I can afford to purchase a new one and prefer to have mine match and I'm sure have helped someone out by passing along my other one. I feel perfectly fine about it.

I went from a 10 year old Frigidaire to a new Miele and I can tell you they are not the same. The basics of the machine might be similar but the new dryer dries much faster and things are very fluffy.

• mark40511
    13 years ago

I have a white Duet matching set on pedestals. If the washer goes, I'm NOT ditching the dryer. To me, if I get a front loading white washer, it will pretty much somewhat match anyway.

The dryer is at six years old and no repairs yet.

• debo_2006
    13 years ago

I was in the same situation where my dryer was dying and I only wanted to buy replacement. But, I couldn't find one that matched the criteria I wanted. Our laundry is in a high traffic area on the other side of a kitchen wall where the powder room is. So, I ended up getting a matching set and glad I did. It's so more cohesive and makes the area look pulled together, IMO.

If our laundry was in an area where no one would see it or with closed door, I would have settled for something and lived with miss-matched.

• cangelmd
    13 years ago

I have Mutt and Jeff! A Miele washer and a big HT3 dryer. they work fine for me, but no one sees them.

• julescap
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The biggest problem is that the w/d are in a high traffic area and when visitors come thru the back door, the first thing they set eyes on is the w/d. I wil sell my current dryer, which, btw, is still a perfectly wonderful dryer! I'm definitely not a big "matchy-matchy" type, but in this area, I just have to have matching! We are still 'discussing"

• theclose
    13 years ago

I was starting from scratch and just purchased mismatched. Reason was cost. I wanted the Miele and if it was in the budget to get both pieces I would have, but it just wasn't doable. So we just ordered the Miele washer and the least expensive GE HE dryer. If I were you and could sell the dryer to recoup some money then I would get matched. Good luck!

• caryscott
    13 years ago

Depends what you care about - rarely will a pair (or manufacturer) offer you the best washer and dryer for your needs. I have to stack so I didn't have a choice but I have friends who got the washer and dryer that best suited their needs and budget and they don't match. They are very happy (they are side by side in a large closet so they had no aesthetic concerns).

• lee676
    13 years ago

Unless stacking is an issue, get the best washer and the best dryer for your needs/budget, regardless of whether they "match". At most, I'd stick with the same color and basic size/type; so I wouldn't get a washer with rear controls and a dryer with front controls and no back panel if I were buying both at the same time.

I'm convinced the reason laundry machines have become available in so many funky colors in the last several years is to help convince everyone who buys a new washer to buy a new dryer they don't need.

• gates1
    13 years ago

For me, its not who see's my washer dryer set, it just me. It has to be a matched set. If mismatched is not and issue for someone, then make sure the two match is capasity

• talley_sue_nyc
    13 years ago

"I'm actually kind of appalled that someone would throw out a perfectly functional dryer because it doesn't "match.""

who says they'd throw it out? Maybe they'd sell it used--and then some other person w/ less money would get a perfectly functional dryer, cheap.

And maybe the person replacing it would be defining it as "partly an attractive furnishing." We replace sofas because they're out of style, or we're tired of them. We replace perfectly functional clothes because they're out of style.

It's just a matter of whether the dryer's owner finds any value in their attractiveness. If using a perfectly matched set will make doing laundry a little more appealing, that might be worth money to someone.

I don't know that I personally would be willing to do it.

• mara_2008
    13 years ago

Anybody visiting my house who is offended is looking too closely at my stuff and concerning themselves with things that aren't their concern, LOL.

ITA with this, dadoes!

If you care (and have the bucks) match them. Otherwise, it doesn't matter at all as long as the volume of the dryer matches the volume of the washer.

I also agree with asolo on this.

mamorella, I didn't know there was a such thing as an HE dryer. I thought all dryers worked on the same principle, though I do know that some are better than others.

My washer and dryer are a matching set. When I bought them, I got several rebates from the store where I bought them, the manufacturer, and the state. Because of this, I got them at a much-lower price than I would have otherwise.

• fleethart
    13 years ago

Matched until 2002 when the 80's Kenmore died. Bought an Amana awd480 and kept the old dryer. In 2007 the old kenmore dryer finally bit it and I had to have a brand new shiny LG Tromm in 2008, but kept the Amana. Now the Amana is shot and I just don't think I am getting rid of the dryer to have a matching set. If we have to move across the country in May, I am not attached enough to drag the dryer with us. As for replacements, definitely not buying an LG washer even if it matches the dryer.
    All I care about it getting a TL that cleans clothes and lots of them. A dryer that dries them in the winter is nice, too. Something made in the US that lasts longer than 9 years is a must. Performance far outweighs aesthetics. I would buy a pink antique if it would last forever!

• acdclosgatos
    last year

If someone hits this discussion like I did:

Stacking Washer & Dryer MUST be same manufacturer and same model line to keep warranty from getting voided.

Even if you have a washer and dryer from same brand don't stack them until you contact the manufacturer. Get it in writing, at least an email, from their customer care stating that you can stack the dryer (include model number) on the washer (include model number).

I had to contact GE to verify if I could stack a GE GFD85E dryer on a GE GFW650 washer without voiding warranty. They stated the stacking unit is the same for the GE Ultrafresh washers & matching GE Smart dryers series- 550/ 55, 650/ 65, 850/ 85.

If I had tried to put a LG dryer on my GE washer then that would definitely be grounds for GE & LG to tell me my warranty is voided.