Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pbx2_gw

Feedback Washers: LG WM2650 vs. WM3070 vs. WM3470 ?

pbx2_gw
11 years ago

Looking for feedback on the LG trifecta of washers below:

LG HM2650 vs. HM3070 vs. HM3470 ?

Do I need turbo speed wash cycle?
Do I need the Bulky cycle setting?
Good /bad expereinces with any of the three?

Thanks for any feedback.

Here is a link that might be useful: LG-WM3070H-vs-LG-WM3470H-vs-LG-WM2650H

Comments (8)

• smabrito
    11 years ago

We've had the 3470 for about a year. It has done a good job so far EXCEPT we had a problem with their "tub clean" cycle and this may something to consider for any of their machines. Our biggest concern is that after ruining an expensive shirt after running their tub clean we wrote an email to LG and they, after several weeks, still have not responded. We explained what happened in detail without being nasty or anything like that- we did tell them we felt that they should compensate us for the ruined shirt. Considering that they offered absolutely no response we'll more than likely "blacklist" any further LG purchases. Before sending my email I registered the washer on their website so yesterday they sent me a solicitation for a review of the product. My review gave a fairly favorable assessment of the general performance of the washer but also mentioned the problem & their lack of response so, i explained, I gave it a 1 star rating.. I just received an email from LG stating that they rejected my review. In my opinion the review was very even handed and was well within their guidelines for reviews. You may never have any problems with their products but just wanted to pass on this info for what it's worth

• orangerhymes
    11 years ago

What do you mean that you ruined an expensive shirt after running the tub clean cycle?

Did you wash the shirt while running the tub clean cycle? If you, you should know that you aren't supposed to put any clothing in the machine when running the tub clean cycle.

• johnmk
    11 years ago

I have the 3470 and I'm quite satisfied with it. Love the TurboWash, really gets this done quickly and without much sacrifice in cleaning performance. The Bulky cycle I use for washing my couch cover (I have an IKEA couch which lets me pick various colored covers & whatnot). The Bright Whites cycle I like because it enforces a Hot wash (well, 105F, not exactly hot but it's a start). Something like the LG WM2250 has no internal water heater to enforce anything -- Hot ends up being around 90-95. So the 3470 was an upgrade for me, from the 2250, both with TurboWash and the internal water heater. I haven't messed with Steam.

Anyway, I've had the 3470 for a month now and I'm thrilled with it. It gets my clothes clean, can do it quickly if I'm in a rush, and has a full feature set that satisfies all my needs.

• smabrito
    11 years ago

Guess I need to clarify. After running the tub clean cycle, carefully following instructions which come with the washer, I washed the shirt on the FOLLOWING load of clothes. Worst than the ruined shirt was LG's completely ignoring a detailed email explaining what happened. Only when I had this problem with the washer that has otherwise done a good job did I find that the support from LG, at least in my limited experience, was non-existent. This is the main problem. Any appliance or product can have problems, defects, etc. but the support is, in most people's opinion, a big part of what you're paying for when making a purchase.My comment is offered for what it's worth to anyone considering one of the LG products.

• pbx2_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Posted by johnmk (My Page) on Tue, Feb 19, 13 at 0:40
    I have the 3470 and I'm quite satisfied with it. Love the TurboWash, really gets this done quickly and without much sacrifice in cleaning performance. The Bulky cycle I use for washing my couch cover (I have an IKEA couch which lets me pick various colored covers & whatnot). The Bright Whites cycle I like because it enforces a Hot wash (well, 105F, not exactly hot but it's a start). Something like the LG WM2250 has no internal water heater to enforce anything -- Hot ends up being around 90-95. So the 3470 was an upgrade for me, from the 2250, both with TurboWash and the internal water heater. I haven't messed with Steam.
    Anyway, I've had the 3470 for a month now and I'm thrilled with it. It gets my clothes clean, can do it quickly if I'm in a rush, and has a full feature set that satisfies all my needs.

@johnmk - Thanks for the feedback.

I am actually looking to see if I need to spend the extra $$ on the extra Cu.Ft. of the 3470 vs. 2650.
    Also, looking to see if I need TurboWash.

But most everything else the 2650 has got as seen by my previous link in the OP.

Can you tell me what how many minutes TurboWash saved you over regular cycle?

& what does Bulky cycle do? Is it just a square footage thing or are comforters really able to get cleaned?

• johnmk
    11 years ago

TurboWash saves about 15 minutes overall, taking Cottons/Normal default down from, say, 45, to 31. I like the way TurboWash distributes water around more actively so tend to use it more often than not, and if I want a longer wash cycle, I just increase the Soil Level another level or two. So my tendency is to do something like Selected Cycle + TurboWash + Soil Level Medium High + Extra Rinse (just as a matter of policy I like three rinses). I often use the Pre-Wash option as well, maybe about half the time. That introduces a quick, cold 15 minute prewash (pre-wash is always cold no matter what temperature you have selected for the main wash) which is then drained and refilled which then becomes the main wash at whatever temperature was selected. This is a fantastic, set-it-and-forget-it approach to getting out any minor stains of unknown origin, as immediate heat will in some cases set stains semi-permanently, as you probably already know. By the way -- in cases where I use the pre-wash, I use Tide for Coldwater but only in the pre-wash detergent dispenser. In the main wash dispenser I almost always use Tide Ultra, with a scoop of sodium percarbonate added if I'm washing whites.

I think TurboWash should be a feature of every clothes washer out there, it's a pity that it's marketed as a time-saver, as IMO the purpose I value it for is it's just a smarter method to assure forcible, even, consistent dispersal of water throughout the clothes, even those that are compacted in the middle of the full load that tend not to be directly exposed to the small layer of water at the bottom of the washer. And TurboWash works those nozzles through the whole wash cycle.

I believe Bulky just assures there's enough water added for particularly thick, water-absorbent fabrics like comforters & whatnot.

This post was edited by johnmk on Tue, Feb 19, 13 at 15:46

• HoneyBee86
    9 years ago

I'm three days in with this model! Yes, I have sat with my face (along with my 6 year old) against the door to watch the action, lol.
    I've tried a lot of settings and different cycles. The first day I tried to find out where and how to add borax or Oxi. Still not exactly sure. I have been adding some borax directly in the tub, before loading. Would like to know what other options there are. I have liked adding vinegar to certain loads in my old top loader. I read where one person used the bleach compartment to add it...any thoughts.
    It seemed when I used the bulky cycle for a cotton braided rug tonight that the washer tumbled it a tad more gently. It didn't roll it all the way around, just turned it over on itself.
    Yep, pretty cool piece of equipment so far.
    I was shocked and questioned the small amount of water used.
    I also had no idea it would conserve the temp of the water. Thanks for the insight on that from above post!
    Absolutely love the turbine engine sound!! Plus, I'm love that it remains so stable at those speeds!

• Don
    9 years ago

The 2650 water heating is very limited. It only works in the sanitary mode. It doesn't bring up the temp of too cool water in other modes as one would expect.
    I'm very unimpressed with the lack of flexibility in the 2650. LG seems far more interested in features that sound good in the sales pitch rather than actual washer performance.