Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does your front loading washer have a filter?

Posted by eleena (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 3, 13 at 14:51

I was not sure any of them did till a friend of mine, who has LG 5 years newer than mine, said hers did.

It came up because I was washing floor mops with a lot of lint on them. After the wash cycle was finished, the mops were clean and there was no lint anywhere in the washer.

Where did it all go?

If it went down the drain, it might cause clogging sooner or later, right?

I think I want a washer with a filter. I have read the specs on two of my three my top contenders (Maytag and Electrolux) and couldn't find any mentioning of a filter.

TIA!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does your front loading washer have a filter?

Frontloaders do not have the kind of active lint filters that toploaders had in the past. What they have is a strainer to protect the pump from stray objects (coins, screws, nails) and debris, and large amounts of lint/strings. It strains the water only when the machine drains, not during wash/rinse tumbling. Far as I'm aware, all frontloaders have strainers but not all of them are user-accessible if cleaning is needed.

Here's where the pump strainer is located on a Whirlpool Duet that I refurbished a couple months ago. It's behind the lower panel. Brands/machines that intend for the strainer to be accessed by the consumer have a small door in the lower panel.

o

And this is what I found caught in the strainer. :-)

The machine had been abused with carelessness and BAD usage habits.

o

Thank you very much for clarification!

Do you by any chance know which washers have that little door in the lower panel?

o

Dadoes- I am surprised that Duet was draining the water out at all. That was a mess in there!

o

eleena: "Do you by any chance know which washers have that little door in the lower panel?"

I cannot give you a list, but I can tell you that our Samsung '419 washer has that little door for the filter.

o

I don't intend for the pics above to be alarmist or turn people away from frontloaders. This machine was horribly abused and neglected by the user (although to be sure, that may be more typical than not). They apparently rarely checked pockets, the collection of debris in the pump trap included screws, gun pellets, chicken bones, paper & cellophane wrappers, what appeared to be a tampon applicator, all bound together with lint into the most foul-smelling mass imaginable. There was a camera memory card caught in the tub outlet hose leading to the trap. The bellows, drum, & outer tub were coated with mildew & scum. I suspect they ran a lot of cold washes, likely *never* used the Sanitary cycle (the machine has onboard heating), overdosed liquid detergent and softener, never used chlorine bleach, and *never* ran the machine's cleaning cycle which in this case is not on the cycle dial but is a special key sequence outlined in the instruction manual (Read the manual? Why? It's just a washing machine, everybody knows how to use a washing machine ....).

o

"(Read the manual? Why? It's just a washing machine, everybody knows how to use a washing machine ....)."

LOL
I think what you found in the trap and overall condition of the machine says it all.

o

@dadoes: Wow that looks like the mission impossible trap. How did all those things make it through the tiny holes of the tub?! esp hard metal items?!

o

Reference the picture above. There's a small gap between edge of the drum and face of the outer tub. Small bits of debris can slip through there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here