Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
110v dryer? Just upgrade to 220v?

Posted by mupandspup (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 20, 08 at 14:45

I headed out to the Sears outlet and picked out a Kenmore stackable w/d, got home with my plugs, and realized the dryer was 220v--d'oh! I called them and the sales guy said they didn't carry any 110v dryers anymore.

So the question is, should I just upgrade to 220v? Is this a big undertaking? The salesman seemed to think 110v dryers weren't sold anymore, though I do see them on the Best Buy webside--however, I'm not sure if they're any good.

I'm just starting to explore this issue, and meanwhile the new w/d I bought are sitting in the warehouse, waiting for my decision. Any thoughts?

Thanks very much for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 110v dryer? Just upgrade to 220v?

All ELECTRIC dryers are 220v, yes, it's a major profesional rewiring job.

The 110v dryers you may have seen are GAS.

o

Yep you'll need a professional electrician.
You'll have to make a decision if you want a direct connection (220V directly connected to the dryer) or having a 220V outlet installed.

o

> All ELECTRIC dryers are 220v

Not true - there are some electric dryers that will run on 110v/15A. GE makes two of them, one with the controls on the bottom (for stacking over a washer) and one with the controls on the top. Whirlpool has one too. The GEs have larger capacity and easier to clean lint filters, but the Whirlpool has a proper moisture sensor to shut it off when the clothes are dry; i think the GE just uses a thermostat which is less accurate.

Still, if at all possible at a reasonable price - i.e. you don't need a new electric box to fit a 220v circuit breaker in ($$$), or live in an old apartment complex where you're not allowed to muck with the electrical service - have an electrician install a 220v/30a circuit. The resultant dryer will have access to 5500w rather than 1200w, and thus dry your clothes in considerably less time. You'll also have a much larger selection of dryers to choose from.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here