Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phrogvt

which dealers will survive?

phrog
10 years ago

We've had good luck with extended appliance warranties from Sears. They even gave us a new refrigerator and paid for the spoiled food when our old unit couldn't be fixed. But now I"m wondering if Sears itself will be around for many years. I've read that the company is in bad health.

I'd consider a neighborhood independent for our new FL washer, but I think they're vulnerable to competition from places like Lowe's and HD.

So, who will be around to honor a warranty in 5 or 10 years? Any guesses?

Comments (9)

• laundryvet
    10 years ago

I read a very recent article in a business section of a major media website that questioned the viability of company's like Best Buy and Game Stop to compete over the long haul. They were not impressed by brick and mortar companies to compete against the Amazon.com of the world. They say their business plans are set up for failure aka Circuit City, that they rely strictly on price and their ability to negotiate favorable credit from their vendors (the root product suppliers). So if you believe the premise of the article, ALL brick and mortar (aka sellers with point of sale buildings) are vulnerable.

That said, I believe there is always a very large percentage of people who want to touch and feel the products before they buy them, that a photo and a review by another buyer is not good enough. I'm one of them.

Sears, despite their missteps, seems like they can make another 5 years, but there are rumors that the " bleeding" financially of their parent company is weakening them every year. Remember the parent holding company also own Kmart who competes against Target and Walmart tough competition.

Low man on the totem pole during a bankruptcy filing is warranty holders. I would not sign up for more than 3 years. Anything more is a big risk in today's retail climate where one years bad sales on a highly leveraged company can take it down.

Laundryvet

• mrb627
    10 years ago

Not all of the big box stores hold their own warranties because they don't have a service department. Make sure when you purchase and extended warranty, if inclined to do so, that you find out whom will be the long term servicer.

MRB

• fordtech
    10 years ago

I dont think it is possible to predict. I purchased a new Maytag refrigerator from Home Depot a few years ago. I purchased the 5 year extended warranty. Withing a few months that contract was sold to another extended warranty company.
    You can purchase a contract and it can be sold off to another far less reliable extended warranty service, the company goes out of business, etc and you are holding the bag with a worthless piece of paper.
    Car dealers have done this many times over the years selling extended warranty from companies that go out of business.

• phrog
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, I know that an EW bought at Sears always brings a Sears repair person, and that the service has been good. Also, I like the fact that you can renew the contract when it expires, although the cost goes up then.

Do you think it's safer to buy the extended warranty from the manufacturer? I'm considering Samsung, and I'm more confident about their long-term viability than Sears. (Of course, comments on Samsung EW service are mixed and I have no experience with it.)

• itguy08
    10 years ago

"I read a very recent article in a business section of a major media website that questioned the viability of company's like Best Buy and Game Stop to compete over the long haul. They were not impressed by brick and mortar companies to compete against the Amazon.com of the world."

That person is an idiot. Amazon has yet to make a consistent profit and the few times that they have it has been a very small amount. And who is going to buy appliances from Amazon where they cannot see them and see how they are made?

I know I avoid Amazon like the plague it is. I'd rather pay the same or a small amount more (Amazon's prices are OK, nothing special on many items) and support a local store. Those local stores employ my neighbors, friends, and others in the area. Think about it - the average Best Buy employs, what, maybe 100 people? Amazon employs few from the area and when your neighbors are out of jobs who buys products???

I think we may be in the midst of a shop local resurgence in the USA. I know I do my part when possible.

• phrog
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I prefer to shop local, too. However, online reviews of the few local appliance dealers near me are horrible (to my surprise) regarding order fulfillment, installation, and repair. I wouldn't mind paying a little more for peace of mind, if I could find it.

• laundryvet
    10 years ago

Itguy08,

Well I can say I have mixed feelings on this on buying local vs on-line. A big retailer's on-line and call center are based in my hometown and employs one of my sons and about a half dozen of my other sons friends. When that call center or on line retailer is in your country and hopefully is paying some taxes to local, state, and federal treasuries, than they might not be all that bad. When based overseas, that's a different story.

Would I buy a major appliance on-line? Unlikely, but I would consider a microwave for sure, and I have bought numerous expensive audio components on-line, sight unseen, without issue and with great buying experiences. Cameras, small appliances, music, electronics, computers, housewares, biking gear, boat parts, paddling gear, hiking gear, books, maps and especially clothing are all fair game in my book for buying on-line when I have a clear vision of what I want, the brand I want, and who I want to buy it from. And my UPS guy is happy to be employed delivering it to me.

I for one, do believe parts of the prediction that there are a few retailers with a difficult road ahead. Consolidation is inevitable across all retailers and in all product categories. But I do believe a few big box retailers and many Mom and Pop retailers will do just fine as the big box boys business plans only target the largest markets.

• phrog
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Laundryvet,

I'm not considering an on-line dealer. It's a choice between a chain and a local independent.

• laundryvet
    10 years ago

Reply was to itguy08.