Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rdw07

LG 2277, 2487, 2687 vs Whirlpool Duet/Sport?

rdw07
17 years ago

I found this forum while doing a google search for information on washers - and the above washers in particular.

Sorry this post is long - I need to buy a w/d this weekend and I NEED help ;)

Our 13-year old (I'm guessing) TL washer died this week when a cinder block fell out of the bottom (I'm guessing it was put there for balancing purposes? we are not the original owners).

After reading a lot it seems like we should replace it with a FL. We will replace the dryer at the same time (I see no use in getting a good washer and waiting for the dryer to die)

The washer will go in a SECOND FLOOR LAUNDRY CLOSET. I think I would like the stack the machines (currently unstacked) so that I have more shelf space on the other side of the machines (there is currently a lot of unused vertical space).

So - I think I have narrowed it down to the machines listed above - but would like recommendations as to which to get and why. (for instance - do I really need the steam wash option or would the 2277 be enough?) I need to buy it this weekend as our machine is DEAD and we'd been holding off on laundry as we waited to get leaky hose fixed.

FWIW - we are currently two adults (DH sends most of his shirts to the cleaners to be washed - wondering if the steam option could take care of this - at least some of the time?) with a baby on the way.

Appreciate any and all help - Thanks!

Comments (16)

• rdw07
    Original Author
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Whoops - I meant LG 2277, 2487 or 2688. (getting them in white) - Thanks!

• sharper360
    17 years ago

I love my LG dryer and the Steam Washer 2487 is ready to be installed as soon as the plumber gets his part done. Mine are white. I will stack them in the new laundry room.

Consumer Reports rated the LG highly and that is why I went that way. I looked at the Duet/Sport and really wanted to buy it at Costco for all the rebate offers there. However, it looked cheap and plastic"y" compared to the LG. And it wasn't rated as highly.

With a baby coming, I would get the largest capacity and overall best ratings. No baby here, mine are grown, and that is what I did.

Good luck!

• dross
    17 years ago

The Costco Duets have no heater, so should be avoided. Other than that, the Duet/Kenmore is an excellent machine, with the advantage of ubiquitous service.

For a stacked installation in an upstairs closet you should also consider a set from Asko. - DR

• cdnhottie
    17 years ago

Here is your answer!!! haha

Seriously though, I have read EVERY SINGLE THING possible on these machines in the last two months. We are talking hundreds of hours of research. So though of course I don't know all, and other opinions will be correct too, I understand your suffering all too well.

Whirlpool Duet Sport

-Don't even consider it as there have been way too many issues with this machine. Dross above is right, the Whirlpool/Kenmore machines are great machines, but NOT this model. The Whirlpool Duet HT or 9150 model are the ones you should consider if you are going this brand, and there are good deals to be found on these right now. However, they are pretty hideous looking compared to the LG's in my opinion...you'll have to decide if the $$ savings is worth it to you.

LG2277

-Great machine, and to be honest, with the baby coming and the need to save $$ I'm sure, this would be a great choice. The good thing about this one is that the companion dryer that comes with this machine is actually higher rated by Consumer Reports than the other LG dryers, and lower in cost. I think this set is much nicer to look at than the Whirlpool's...but I would consider the Whirlpools if there was a substantial savings as compared to this set. I can tell you that I had a deal in place at Best Buy for this set at $1580 w pedestals a month ago. That was with little negotiation and I am certain I could have got them down further.

LG2487

-This is the washer w/matching dryer I bought in Candy Apple red. I absolutely LOVE them in ALL ways. They are cheaper than the LG WM2688 model you also mentioned, yet are beautiful to look at, have the steamwash feature and a high spin speed and all the cycles you could dream of. The only downside being of course the price. If you can arrange a deal that you are comfortable with, this is the set I would choose and did choose.

Now I know you are going to ask about the steam feature. Firstly, it actually can be used two ways: (1) you can use the "Steamfresh" cycle to de-wrinkle clothes or remove musty smells, b/o, etc from briefly worn clothing or stored clothing or clothing worn in smoke etc. I have tried this on ALL types of materials and articles of clothing and it works flawlessly no matter how smelly the article. (2) You can do a "Steamwash": what this is is the washer does a regular wash but incorporates steam into the cycle to remove stains. I have not done this yet, as the washer gets clothes so clean that even several year old stains come out without using this cycle.

Neither of these "steam" cycles are a replacement for drycleaning...PERIOD. Steamfresh will not do anything to ring around the collar, stains, etc., and although "Steamwash" will, I can't see substituting for drycleaning sensitive materials. After all, you DO use water when "steamwashing" and that water is what "dryclean only" clothes are often sensitive to.

LG2688

Beautiful machine again, and the only diff from the LG2487 is that this one has a small LCD screen for displaying cycle etc information, as well as a slightly higher spin speed in the medium spin speed setting. Other than that, it also allows you to display water temp, spin speed, and various other readings on the LCD display by holding down a couple of buttons. The 2487 doesn't allow for that.

In my opinion, if you have the $$ then this is without a doubt the coolest, most aesthetically pleasing and neat functioned washer out there. But I don't see any reason to spend the extra $3-400 for this machine over the 2487.

So there you have it! I would go with the LG 2487 as I do feel the Steam cycles are worth the extra $$. I love being able to throw a clean, but worn a few hours shirt in the washer and have it smell completely fresh for wearing the next day. The Steamfresh cycle only takes 20mins total, and although the manual says beware of steaming cotton, and some other materials...I've done them all and had no problems. An LG rep actually confirmed that the warning is only there to warn people that cotton and the other materials you are warned about absorb more water in this cycle and thus won't come out dry and ready to wear. They are however only slightly damp. Poly-blend shirts, skirts etc actually come out almost completely dry and ready to wear with no wrinkles...amazing.

Bosch Nexxt 500 w/matching dryer

You did NOT mention this set, but you definitely should have!! This is an outstanding set, and to be honest, if I had liked the looks of it more and not wanted the Steamfresh cycle of the LG, this is the set I would have bought. Outstanding features (such as water heater in ALL cycles), durability, and right now they are priced VERY well. I just couldn't see past the gorgeous LG's and buy this set happily.

So there you have it. I would say if you have tonnes of $$, get the LG2688. If you like that one but find it a bit pricey, yet want the Steam feature and like the LG look, get the LG 2487. If you desperately want LG, but don't need the Steam and want to save some $$$, then get the LG 2277 with its excellent dryer (You could also do LG2487 washer in white and get the dryer [LG 5977 I believe, in white] that normally comes with the LG2277 washer, and thus save a couple hundred $$.

Also definitely look at the Bosch and if you like the look, and again don't need Steam etc, then DEFINITELY get this set.

So ranking wise, cuz everybody loves rankings, I would say your best choices all things considered in YOUR scenario (baby coming, only 2 people etc) are:

1) Toss up LG 2487 or Bosch Nexxt 500...just decide if you want looks+steam or just reliable full featured pair like Bosch. I just couldnt' stomach buying the Bosch once I saw the LG's, and wanted Steamfresh, thus I went LG.

2) LG2277 -this set has all the cycles/features you'll ever need, and is much cheaper than higher end LG sets. In your pre-baby stage, this is a great bet. If saving $$ and NOT wanting Steam rank high on your list, then put this set ahead of the LG2487 set, but NOT ahead of the Bosch.

3) LG WM2688: The best set if you have the $$...but too much $$$ if you ask me. You don't need all those gadgets.

4) Whirlpool Duet Sport: Wouldn't even consider the "sport" Whirlpool Duet. But if you go Duet HT I would put these higher and possibly even with the LG2277 or ahead of it if cheaper.

I think that's enough for now...haha. Good luck and remember, you will love any of these machines.

Any other specific questions, post them up and one of the great people from this site will surely help.

• sr712
    17 years ago

I vote for 3) above. The extra price for those gadgets spread over the typical life of 15-20 years is nothing. Well, almost. :) Home Depot and Best Buy have deals on Appliances every so often. Tyically 10% off of normal price. They both sell these machines. If you are strapped, then go for 1) with the 2487. I wish we had had these machines when our 3 kids were small. It would have been much easier. They are so versatile and good at what they do. Plus they use such little amounts of hot water. Sanitary cycle would have been heaven back then.

They also extract so much of the water in the clothing in the spin cycle, that drying the load takes very little time. We got the gas version, and it will dry the entire load in 20-25 minutes. It used to take 60-80 minutes with our old 1992 vintage electric Kenmores.

• cdnhottie
    17 years ago

SR712: I haven't used my dryer a lot yet, but found that a load of "normal" laundry (mixed load shirts, towels) set at the regular dryness setting (machine shows 56mins I believe) DOES take that long. I have yet to encounter a 20-25min cycle, and our dryers are identical.

Any idea/info on that at all?? I would love 20min dry times! I do realize ur machine spins faster in top speed, but other speeds are same (except for medium spin which is negligibly higher in yours). Is that the dry time for ALL your loads, regardless of articles and are they coming out completely dry in that time???

Also, when you push the "Steam" button in a regular wash, do all of your other choices become locked? I found that pushing "steam" in say a normal cycle automatically prevents any other changes.

Thanks as always for your help!

• dross
    17 years ago

spread over the typical life of 15-20 years

This is very optimistic; LG has only been making washing machines for 7-8 years altogether, so there is no data as to their machine longevity.

Anyone with a steam device of any kind (in a washing machine or otherwise) would be well-advised to make sure they are using softened or otherwise demineralized water in the steam tank, otherwise even a couple of years would be optimistic. - DR

• sr712
    17 years ago

You are right. There is no data on the LG making it for 15 years. On the other hand, there was no data on the Plymouth Voyager we bought in 1987, and I was able to keep that running for 16 years, and was still going strong when I gave it to someone who needed transportation. The same with the second minivan we bought from Chrysler in 1995. That lasted for 11 years. The Kenmore set of washer/dryer lasted for 14 years (still was running fine, just wanted to try something new). The set before that lasted almost 20 years. I do all my own maintainence on all of our cars, and anything mechanical, electrical, and electronic, down to component level troubleshooting. Did any of these items ever need new parts? Sure, of course. Was I able to obtain them and fix them? Sure. I have looked inside these machines, thouroughly read the maintenance manuals, and I am confident that I will have this machine for 15 years. Will I ever need to fix something in it? I'm sure I will. However, I am impressed with the quality of many of the parts inside. I think the way they direct-drove the drum motor was ingenious; with the brushless motor rotor surrounding the stator rather than being attached to it. These machines are not really that complicated. And the chassis is much more robust than the Kenmore set we bought in 1992.

I guess I have faith in myself, that it will last that long. We'll see, I guess.

Our gas Hot Water heater that was supposed to last at most 10 years is now in it's 15th. A little preventative maintainence goes a long way, and I don't expect everything to be maintainence free.

• cdnhottie
    17 years ago

^SR712: Did you get a chance to read my post above with a question to you about your dryer? Please advise with any information u think relevant when you get a chance...thank you!

DROSS & SR712: In my post about the LG Steamwasher a few weeks back, and concerning my discussion with the LG rep and repair people, I forgot to mention that I did discuss calcium build up with them. They told me that the steam producing mechanism is made of a material that will NOT allow for calcium buildup, and that they were shown this in their service class. The serviceman said that he was amazed as they were shown how the calcium deposits just broke right off without attaching.

I can't remember his exact words as to whether the calcium would not attach, or simply broke off after attaching etc., but I can assure you they were prepared for that question and provided a very good answer to make it a non-issue.

Thought that might be relevant.

• veritas1965
    17 years ago

I highly recommend the LG2277. My mom has had one for a while, has had zero trouble and has five nieces and nephews she's constantly helping to raise. It washes impeccably for her, and she is fairly persnickety.

The 2277 has a heater in it and a "sanitary" cycle, which hits the 160's in F. That should be fine for sanitizing a childs clothing, diapers, etc. It's a very reliable machine.
    On that model, I can't say much about "longevity," since LG has only been making this model for US since about 2003? Lucky Chemical recently (15 years ago?) bought GoldStar Electronics (hence, LG), and GoldStar has been making reliable washing machines, top and front loading since the late 1960's.
    Don't worry -- you're in good hands with this brand, but I would call LG ahead of time and make sure they have copious and reliable service centers ensconced in your area, just to be proactive!
    The best of luck to you!

• dross
    17 years ago

Well, I find everyone's faith in their LGs rather endearing; it far exceeds my faith in my own machine! Let me add though that while I have kept an Italian car running for the last 15 of its 20 year life, I'm not sure I would draw any conclusions from that about the longevity of a washing machine...

cdnhottie, have you had a chance yet to figure out where your machine was made? - DR

• rdw07
    Original Author
    17 years ago

UPDATE

Ack - well, I'm still scared about the LG - but let me tell you where things stand. Thank you all for your advice - I was reading everything before I went out yesterday afternoon.

Checked out the Whirlpool Duet, Sports, Bosch and LG yesterday. Thought I was decided on the Duet from a local appliance place until I checked out the LG at Best Buy. In part b/c the LG is about 2" less deep than the Duet (and therefore a better fit for our space - the Duet would just fit - if it fits at all) - we decided to go with the LG. Decided to bite the bullet and go with the 2487 - for $300, let's get STEAM! Well, we need a machine right away and the 2487 was on backorder and couldn't be delivered till March 18 - unacceptable!

So - long story short(er) Best Buy brought the price of the 2688 washer and dryer down to the price of the 2487 (plus $40)! How could we pass that up? Plus 2 years 0% interest and $250 off to match a sale at Home Depot! The price of the 2688 came out to $1149 which I think (correct me if I'm wrong) is a great price for the 2688.

Pedestals were $179.99 each! (we decided not to stack) and I need to see if I can find them for less anywhere.

Of course, now I am still freaking out over the amount of $$ this will be and wondering if I should (a) - just go back to a much less expensive - but good top loader or (b) look for a less expensive frontloader (maybe the LG 1812 or WM 0462 recommended by consumer reports) - I never imagined I would even contemplate spending so much on a washer/dryer.

I figure I have until tomorrow to cancel the order (washer being delivered Wednesday) and I am still SO CONFUSED!

Any additional advice welcome - I really don't *need* all these bells and whistles - going to think long and hard today about whether there is a less $$ FL out there that would still suit our purposes. (as cool as steam is - we just don't *need* it).

Thanks for all of the advice so far and I'd appreciate any other thoughts and comments!

oh yeah - dross - I agree with you that I'm not counting on 15-20 years which is why I am so freaked out by this purchase. For this price - this thing should be folding my clothing and putting it away for me!

Thanks all!

• sharper360
    17 years ago

My advice is to relax...and at least try the one you so diligently researched. You did a good job and got a GREAT deal! I printed out your deal and am headed to Best Buy. That is how I got my dryer at such a deal.

I really expect 15 years out of my LG appliances. Someone told me that most of the American appliances are being made in Korea, and China, and the whole world is seeing how successful they are. (Look at Hyundai cars...competing with Toyota and Honda something fierce now.)

When I buy something, I research it to death, make the decision and then panic because it always comes back on me if a mistake was made. I felt really good about LG, though after using it. Much more efficient and QUIETER than my fairly new Kenmore which had required $400 of parts/labor in two years...it was 6 years old. (I purchased it without using CR cuz HECK it was a Kenmore! My mom had Kenmore for 40 years!)

The repairman told me he would fix it, but he would feel bad, cuz the machine just wasn't worthy of all the expense I had put in. I ended up giving it to a single mom and her boyfriend fixed it for $80 and she loves it. I felt great being able to help her, and my new machine is great.

Consumer Reports has never failed me. They recommend the LG and so do a lot of owners.
    (Oh and the bells and whistles are the things that will make you smile! Wait til you hear LG bells! My dryer bells are like chimes and everyone always mimics them, "dingdongdingdongdingdong" in a little sing songy way.)

Good luck with everything. LG...Life's Good!

• sr712
    17 years ago

CdnHottie- I might be a little optimistic about 20 min. :) However, It seems that when we turn on the dryer, and go to sit down to watch TV, the buzzer rings on the dryer way too soon. It drys way too fast. Can't get any TV in. haha. I know that the clothes that come out of the 2688 are very dry, compared to what we were used to with our old TL Kenmores. We use the "normal" cycle most, which uses the "high" spin setting. I have never actually timed the dry time, but it doesn't seem to take the length of time that it says on the display at first. It does change as the load drys, in accordance with the amount of moisture coming out of the exhaust. I will use a timer on a typical load for you this week, OK? Also, do you have the gas model? I can get something dry real fast when I use the high heat setting. Generally, I use the "normal" cycle, (which uses mid-high heat), with the "more dry" setting.

I don't think there is anything wrong with your dryer. I am just amazed at the difference between our old set, and this one. (The old one was electric, too.) It could just be the extra extraction. Could just be that I'm wacky ... haha.

PS. From your sig, I assume you are from Canada... how are our friends up there? I grew up in Western NY, and spent much of my time across the border, especially in Toronto. I miss it. Really good memories.

• rdw07
    Original Author
    17 years ago

sharper360 - good luck! A big part of the deal I got was due to the fact that the washer we wanted was back-ordered.

After talking with my husband - I think we will switch to the 0462 - recommended by consumer reports. If my quick mental calculations are correct - there will be about a $900 price difference (due to lower price and not needing pedestals) - with that type of price difference - I can live without some of the bells and whistles ;) B/c my washer is on a second floor with a drain pan, we wouldn't even be able to open the drawer on the pedestal to the washer - it's just too much $$ for something I can't use. Will keep you all updated.

• rdw07
    Original Author
    17 years ago

***** UPDATE ********

We decided to go with the LG WM 0462 - got a great deal on it, I like having some room on the top to work - and it's got the same (or more) features as the 2277 for less $$ and from a local appliance store that delivers and services the machines themselves! (and that met Best Buy's prices - couldn't be beat!)

Thanks for the help all and if anyone has any questions about the 0462 (or matching dryer) - let me know - they are being delivered tomorrow!

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm