Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Maximizing small laundry space

Posted by gle18 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 7, 10 at 12:52

We are moving in June to a newly built home. Everything is perfect except the size of our laundry room.

It is approx 6x8 in size and there will be a sink with one lower drawer. We have front loaders that will sit under the counter top. Any suggestions on how we could maximize the space? I need a lot of storage and since the garage is attached to the laundry room, we will be using it as the point of entry daily rather than the front doors.

I'm thinking of going to Ikea to get storage solution ideas. I would love to have a space for the kids to hang their things, almost like a locker style look, but nicer of course. Because the space is small, I was thinking of having everything white. Any thoughts? Our builder is suggesting the same colour as the kitchen cabinets (expresso stained) for the laundry room as it "flows" better.

I would appreciate any ideas as we do at least 4-5 load of laundry each week and I want to use that space to store our jackets, shoes and of course laundry detergent.

Thanks soo much!!

Gle18

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Maximizing small laundry space

Definitely think "up" -- I have some cabinets installed in the space over my laundry machines and they are great for storing all the detergent etc.

As for color -- I tend to agree with your builder to go same color as the kitchen cabinets, I have seen some houses where they went white in the adjoining laundry area and to me it looked funny. JMHO.

o
RE: Maximizing small laundry space

Have you thought about staking your machines? This will give you enough space for a good sized closet.

Also dont forget about the doors. Hooks for backpacks and coats. We will be installing a fold out ironing board to our door.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here