Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LG WT4870 Hot Wash Temp

Posted by Keyjey (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 1, 13 at 12:38

Have a brand new LG washer with no hot wash. Highest temp is 80 degrees across the entire wash cycle when the washer is set to the hottest cycle; I measured several times. When I call LG, I am told the hot wash temp is 120 degrees and they sent me a copy of the spec sheet that confirmed that. We had a technician here who said the hottest the washer would get is 80 degrees and it's because of the HE rating, etc. I have 140 degree water at the tap.

Two questions:

1) Does anyone who has this washer realize an actual hot wash temp?

2) If the technician is correct, is there any combo of settings or a bypass so I can get a hot wash?

Seriously frustrated with this washer I've had in my home less than 24 hours!

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LG WT4870 Hot Wash Temp

Does your washer have a Whites cycle? If so, try that, see if it activates the heating element. It does in my new LG WM3470 front loader. Also try running hot water to a faucet nearby to spike the punch before you fill the washer with cold hot water lines. In my washer, by the way, Hot seems to have a goal of 105F.

o

thats what you get for a hot wash. My LG isnt much better, but I have the internal heater to brong the temp up

o

Yes, you might try either the Bright Whites or Heavy Duty cycle - possibly with Heavy Soil and maybe even Stain Treat. Some washers will up the temp the more heavy soil settings one adds on to the cycle.

Or wait till it's done filling and dump a bucket of hot water in there... :-/

o

Bright whites only heats the water if there is a heater on board. Heavy duty cycle does give you a more vigerous wash. If you want more hot water in the washer, all you have to do is turn the cold water valve off, and let it fill that way.

o

This is not encouraging, but thank you all. The hottest cycle is a bright whites and it's 76 degrees today (with hot water). I had one warm water cycle that was 116 degrees -- wish I knew how to replicate that fluke when I wanted it to happen and not when I had a washer full of black cotton. I have "primed the hot water to the washer by running it to hot in a tap that t's off the same line to no avail.

LG told me again today that 120 degrees was the hot water temp. This washer has no on-board heater. The service tech who was out last week told me the machine would error if I tried to turn off the cold water -- don't know if that is true since I've not tried it. Don't want to muck up a warranty at this point since we still might be asking them to take the machine back.

If 80 degrees is the hottest the water can be in the machine, then LG needs to not lie and say I have hot, warm, eco warm and cold water temps possible. Ugh!! I resent the lie as much as any of it.

o

Not likely you'd hurt the machine by turning off the cold tap. An error, if it occurs, would be temporary, until the cold tap is turned back on. If necessary, the machine can be disconnected from power for a few minutes to reset.

You will have to turn the cold tap back on before the rinse period because rinses are surely tap-cold.

o

you wont mess up the warranty by turning off the cold water. Mine did not error out when I did turn the cold water off, just filled with hot water and yes dont forget to turn it back on

o

I have a front loader, the LG WM3470, so this doesn't relate to your situation directly, but anyway . . . with mine, I've learned that the heating element only seems to engage in cycles when I've enabled the TurboWash option, and to increase the amount of time in the wash cycle back to pre-TurboWash cycle length, I increase soil level. This works for everything I've tried so far, but apparently not Cotton/Normal. Cotton/Normal seems to be the most locked-down cycle there is, probably because it's the cycle that gets most of the attention in efficiency measurements.

o

Thanks to all. We are replacing the machine. LG now says 83* is hot and that it cools our 140 degree water to protect the clothes. Value added service, I guess....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here