Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
keyjey_gw

LG WT4870 Hot Wash Temp

Keyjey
11 years ago

Have a brand new LG washer with no hot wash. Highest temp is 80 degrees across the entire wash cycle when the washer is set to the hottest cycle; I measured several times. When I call LG, I am told the hot wash temp is 120 degrees and they sent me a copy of the spec sheet that confirmed that. We had a technician here who said the hottest the washer would get is 80 degrees and it's because of the HE rating, etc. I have 140 degree water at the tap.

Two questions:

1) Does anyone who has this washer realize an actual hot wash temp?

2) If the technician is correct, is there any combo of settings or a bypass so I can get a hot wash?

Seriously frustrated with this washer I've had in my home less than 24 hours!

Thank you.

Comments (30)

• johnmk
    11 years ago

Does your washer have a Whites cycle? If so, try that, see if it activates the heating element. It does in my new LG WM3470 front loader. Also try running hot water to a faucet nearby to spike the punch before you fill the washer with cold hot water lines. In my washer, by the way, Hot seems to have a goal of 105F.

• gates1
    11 years ago

thats what you get for a hot wash. My LG isnt much better, but I have the internal heater to brong the temp up

• whirlpool_trainee
    11 years ago

Yes, you might try either the Bright Whites or Heavy Duty cycle - possibly with Heavy Soil and maybe even Stain Treat. Some washers will up the temp the more heavy soil settings one adds on to the cycle.

Or wait till it's done filling and dump a bucket of hot water in there... :-/

• gates1
    11 years ago

Bright whites only heats the water if there is a heater on board. Heavy duty cycle does give you a more vigerous wash. If you want more hot water in the washer, all you have to do is turn the cold water valve off, and let it fill that way.

• Keyjey
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is not encouraging, but thank you all. The hottest cycle is a bright whites and it's 76 degrees today (with hot water). I had one warm water cycle that was 116 degrees -- wish I knew how to replicate that fluke when I wanted it to happen and not when I had a washer full of black cotton. I have "primed the hot water to the washer by running it to hot in a tap that t's off the same line to no avail.

LG told me again today that 120 degrees was the hot water temp. This washer has no on-board heater. The service tech who was out last week told me the machine would error if I tried to turn off the cold water -- don't know if that is true since I've not tried it. Don't want to muck up a warranty at this point since we still might be asking them to take the machine back.

If 80 degrees is the hottest the water can be in the machine, then LG needs to not lie and say I have hot, warm, eco warm and cold water temps possible. Ugh!! I resent the lie as much as any of it.

• dadoes
    11 years ago

Not likely you'd hurt the machine by turning off the cold tap. An error, if it occurs, would be temporary, until the cold tap is turned back on. If necessary, the machine can be disconnected from power for a few minutes to reset.

You will have to turn the cold tap back on before the rinse period because rinses are surely tap-cold.

• gates1
    11 years ago

you wont mess up the warranty by turning off the cold water. Mine did not error out when I did turn the cold water off, just filled with hot water and yes dont forget to turn it back on

• johnmk
    11 years ago

I have a front loader, the LG WM3470, so this doesn't relate to your situation directly, but anyway . . . with mine, I've learned that the heating element only seems to engage in cycles when I've enabled the TurboWash option, and to increase the amount of time in the wash cycle back to pre-TurboWash cycle length, I increase soil level. This works for everything I've tried so far, but apparently not Cotton/Normal. Cotton/Normal seems to be the most locked-down cycle there is, probably because it's the cycle that gets most of the attention in efficiency measurements.

• Keyjey
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks to all. We are replacing the machine. LG now says 83* is hot and that it cools our 140 degree water to protect the clothes. Value added service, I guess....

• rpsinfoman
    9 years ago

Has nothing to do with protecting your clothes, and more so with energy star ratings and ATC. These machines and fuzzy logic controls have a mind of there own. What generally happens is the fill begins with short bursts of cold water pre wetting the load. For example LG Whitest White cycle has a target HOT of 44C/104F. Machine adds hot water to bring to correct water. HOWEVER, if the temperature of the water is above the target temp, it tempers back and adds cold water to drop the tub temp to as close to the target temp as possible. And in doing so the internal heater never engages because the original fill temp was already above the target temp. The internal heater will not rengage and sometimes you end up with a wash temp far lower than the published spec. Unless there is some magic hack to disable and override ATC, we are just stuck with this insane logic.

• Suzanne Hagen
    7 years ago

I have a two year old LG washer. I have never had hot water. I called Home Depot where we bought it. They said adjust the intake valves.We did and I could then see they were hot and releasing hot water. My error. I was assuming. I paid little attention until it was out of warranty! Now I live with cold water. Last week I called Minnegasco Service Plus. the technician was here a total of four hours over two days: replaced valves, replaced circuit board. No hot water.

• dadoes
    7 years ago

"I called Home Depot where we bought it. They said adjust the intake valves."

I've heard that several times ... someone being told to adjust the valves. It's false information/instruction. Presumably the valves Home Depot meant are the supply faucets at the wall but that doesn't come into play unless for some-odd reason the hot tap isn't fully turned on ... but even then it would have to be turned down considerably to be an impediment.

The electric valves inside the machine as operated by the computer board
    are what limits the temperature ... there's no adjustment on them, nothing a consumer can do in that respect.

• boba1
    7 years ago

All these issues with your lack of hot water with our LG is exactly why I won't tolerate having a front loader without an onboard heater. It's a requirement for true, excellent laundry results with these machines and why I won't buy a Speed Queen front loader either.

• wrsevs
    7 years ago

Have the LG washer WT4970, purchased June 2014. Yes no HOT water on Hot water cycle. Our water heater temp is 125 degrees. The temp of the water in the washer is 95 degrees on HOT wash cycle. Have yet to contact LG but that looks almost senseless from all the comments read. Anyone interested in buying a perfectly good used LG washer in the Clearwater Fl area???

• dadoes
    7 years ago

wrsevs,

Presumably you're referring to the hot temperature on the Cotton/Normal cycle. It's the most-restricted for temperature.

You'll probably get higher temps on the Heavy Duty and Bright Whites cycles. Higher soil level selection also may increase the water temperature (but probably not on the Cotton/Normal cycle).

• HU-743171720
    5 years ago

I have the same problem. An LG service tech was out here yesterday and told me there is only 15 seconds that hot water runs into the tub. I said this is a joke and you are kidding me, right? We went to Lowe's where we purchased our top load washer and they are going to send another tech out in a couple of days. Our washer has a heater booster but it doesn't seem to help this situation. I will probably never buy another LG washer again after reading so many bad comments from disappointed buyers.

• Marilyn Hale
    4 years ago

We have the opposite issue. Our water is HOT no matter what temperature selection we make. Checked the water intake to make sure the water supply to the machine is correct but not sure what to check next. Obviously the heating unit is working overtime but not sure if the issue is a sensor, wiring, valve, thermistor or what.

• Alan Kyger
    3 years ago

I was so hoping to read this blog and learn the magic trick to getting Hot Water from an LG Top Load washing machine. I guess I'm stuck with cold water until I can afford to replace it. I did get a chuckle out of when the tech said the CW in the model number stands for Cold Water. Even though there is a setting for Hot Water.

• Andrea Dawson
    3 years ago

With the Pandemic raging across the US and Abroad, the need to sterilize linen and certain clothing is important. My LG
    top loader has never washed on hot/warm water cycles on any selection like normal, or bedding. There have been 2 techs out, one replaced (so he says) the motherboard and another electronic part, still no hot water. Through experiment I have found the heavy duty cycle produces hot water! BUT who wants to have a 2 hour wash cycle? So hot will work. just not on cycles that most homeowners need every day. Maybe a class action lawsuit, would get LG To understand that spending $800 on a washer should produce the cycles/temps that is displayed, if not it's false advertising!

• boba1
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

As nicely as I can put this, but most Americans are still expecting average washes to just. do a hurry up load. Thorough cleaning on modern machines involves long cycles. YOu could try selecting heavy duty cycle, but opt for the lightest soil level. But some machines are programmed that heavier soil levels do allow for hotter wash cycles. Thus, light soil could yield a "cooler" hot water temp. I came to accept this going on 12 years ago. It's why I will only have a washer with an onboard supplemental heater.

• luna123456
    3 years ago

Non-European washers just don’t heat water properly. Period. End of story. You have to spend money to get machines that actually heat water to the temp you set.

I have looked at every brand out there. Miele is the ONLY brand that GUARANTEES the wash water will meet the set temp in every cycle except ”Normal”. Which should be labeled eco. Even in this cycle the wash water temp is met if the machine is not filled with tap cold. Normal is almost always neutered in some way to get the energy start rating and the associated kick back money from the government.

Our family does MANY 60C (140F) washes. Usually several a day. These are anywhere from 70-90 minutes long. You can feel the heat on the door.

Bosch and asko will also heat, but they don’t publish the temps nor do they tell you the temp for each cycle. Hot in normal is usually different that Hot in Whites on Bosch. I have owned two and had to use a temp probe to find the temps per cycle. Never again.

Miele is simple. Every step up is another 10C. From 20C-70C. The clean machine cycle is 80C. There is a chart of every cycle and which temps are supported for that cycle in the user manual.

To expect similar from an $800 washer just won’t happen. Something has to give to meet that price point. Unfortunately many don’t realize what they give up until the machine is installed and frustration sets in.

I HATE paying for Miele appliances. I Love using them. I just grit my teeth and pay when i wear out an appliance and have to buy new. I have never regret the purchases once they are paid for. Clothes are always clean. Cycles for everything, including wool and silk.

I know this does not help if you already have an LG washer. Keep in mind for next time. Buy quality and cry once when you pay. Then smile and enjoy doing laundry after that. There is a reason there are functional toy Miele washer and dryer sets. Until you have or use a set it will be hard to understand.

• boba1
    3 years ago

Luna, I fully understand and agree with the information you pose above. I would love having a model with a dial you can set with specific temperature. But my honest opinion is most individuals in the U.S. just don't care all that much about what water temperature is best for doing certain laundry So many have been brainwashed with cold water wash. Where I live, Miele service is unavailable. I am fortunate enough my 11 year old Whirlpool Duet can reach temperatures of 90-100 F, 120F, 130F, 135-140F, and 155. That's all I need. When I have to replace it, I will have to study. But from what I see, Whirlpool Front Loaders still offer more flexibility with cycles energizing the heater and or steam than other U.S. domestic competitors.

• Andrea Dawson
    3 years ago

@Boba1. Another test; as you suggested by upping the soil level to get hot water, and amazingly, you were correct, on Normal cycle with heavy soil selected, the glass had steam on it, as hot water was entering the tub. However with that came a "full" tub of water and a 147 minute cycle! Still not acceptable. So if the machine is capable, why can't LG program these machines correctly? Looking for a Miele!!

• doreycrouse
    3 years ago

We probably are in the market for a new machine since our Duet is making odd noises that have yet to be diagnosed. However, this is a big issue for me since we want an LG machine, but I use tap hot washes at least 50% of the time. I hope that this issue has been addressed with some of the newer machines, but I am doubtful. I do not see the need to run either an Allergiene or Sanitary cycle any time I want a 140F wash.

• Edwin Watkins
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Fascinating thread here on the LG product and hot water. This was the only place I found a helpful discussion on the subject. We have a 10 year old LG WM2016CW front loader and I am ashamed to say it was only this week where I discovered I was not getting any hot water on the cotton or white wash setting when I selected hot water wash / cold water rinse - I will try to setting for higher soil level and see if that helps. I always prime the hot water by turning on the bathroom sink hot water. Oh well, at least I'm not crazy and certainly will not pay for a technician to replace mother boards when that does not seem to help according to these posts.

• boba1
    3 years ago

The "CW" at the end of your model number indicates there is no onboard heater. You will never have any hope of having any type of hot water wash because you don't have an onboard heater and/or steam option. I'd never select a front loader without an onboard heater.

• Edwin Watkins
    3 years ago

Hahaha - I guess the CW means "Cold Water sucker!"

• Claudette
    2 years ago

For those that say " turn off the cold water supply", I have turned off the cold supply tap and I still get cold water mixing with the hot. How is this even possible !!! So when I specify HOT water for the white sheets ( my set calls this setting - bedding ) the result in my tub of water is tepid Can't even call it warm ! How can this clean the body oils out of my sheets ? IT CAN'T

I thought LG made a good product. Guess we are all wrong.

• dadoes
    2 years ago

Claudette, cold water can't flow into the machine if the cold water faucet is turned off, it's physically impossible. How much plumbing distance is between the hot water source (water heater) and the washer? Frontloaders take in less volume of water, could be the tepid temperature in the machine when Hot is selected is due to standing water in the hot supply plumbing until the hot flow arrives. Is there a sink near or on the supply path to the washer at which you can run the hot faucet to purge the line immediately before starting the machine?