Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Minimum acceptable rinse temperature

Posted by johnmk (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 12:20

Tap cold in my area right now is around 45-50F (7-10C). Is there much to be gained by rinsing at, say, 65F (18C) instead, if I could snap my fingers and make that happen? Of course, my washer only allows cold rinses -- I believe tap cold.

What are the objectively defined differences between rinsing at various temperatures? Would three 45F rinses be as effective as two 65F rinses? What else should I know, also?

Thank you for any thoughts you can spare on this subject.

-John

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Minimum acceptable rinse temperature

FYI, I have a thermostatic mixing valve that lets me set the temperature of my cold water inlet on the washing machine. I presently have it set to 65F but I want to be sure it's really getting me something important, for the price (and less quantifiable, potential global effects) of the added hot water/energy use. Truly, I'm not hurting since 6.5 cents per kilowatt hour is cheap electricity, but unnecessary energy usage still rubs me the wrong way.

If there's appreciable benefit in a cool instead of a tap cold rinse, however, then I'll stay where I'm at.

o

Historically, hot/warm rinses were needed to remove soap from textiles. Modern synthetic detergents don't need a warm rinse anymore.

A warm rinse will make fibres swell so they can release detergent more easily, though. Miele Europe, for some time, had a washer that was capable of warm rinses that would, if set for a warm rinse, eliminate one of three rinses because of the better rinsing warm water gives - so Miele said. LG Europe offers a Medic Rinse option that raises the final rinse to 40C.

On the other hand, you can easily rinse dish soap (both for hand washing and the dishwasher) off dishes in cold water. Same goes for washing soap off one's hand - possible even with cold water.

In the end, you have to decide. If you feel that your clothes still have detergent in them... try a warm rinse.

Alex

o

That's good information, thank you Alex.

Additionally, I'm looking for objective information so that I don't have to invest my own equipment in laboratory experiments. I'm interested in this topic not just for tangible reasons, but also out of intellectual curiosity.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here