Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
washerman8

Costco's Kirkland Super Concentrated Laundry Detergent

washerman8
16 years ago

I purchased some Kirkland powder detergent over the weekend and used some yesterday for washing. I must say I was really impressed. It seems to work just as well as Tide. I've been using Tide for years and I am, truly, impressed how well Kirkland powder detergent performed.

I thought I would let other forum members know.

Comments (18)

• pato
    16 years ago

Thanks for posting this! I'm glad to know that someone else is satisfied with the Kirkland brand. Every time I go to Costco to buy laundry soap I go past the Tide and wonder how they compare. But for the price difference I buy the Kirkland and I have been very satisfied. However, there may be someone who has experience with the ingredients who could tell us the difference.

Pat

• User
    16 years ago

We used to use Tide, but switched to Kirkland liquid when we got our new washer. I use less of it and it seems to get the clothes equally clean. The fragrance isn't as strong as Tide, and really isn't too bad.

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    15 years ago

I also switched from Tide to Kirkland powder.

Great stuff and much cheaper.

• chipshot
    15 years ago

Is Kirkland powder HE?

Can't wait until our Costco reopens (it was so successful that they razed it to build a bigger one).

• cynic
    15 years ago

FWIW, last I heard Kirkland detergents were made by Huish who makes many of the store brand and "value priced" detergents, including Sun, (Walmart's) Great Value and others. Procter & Gamble make Tide so you really can't compare them too easily. I can say this, Tide has enzymes (an effective helper) and some Huish brands have enzymes. I've used Sun (without enzymes) and Great Value (with enzymes) and have been pleased with the results for the price although the Sun has required additives that GV requires less often and Tide just doesn't need. I'm still using Tide Free & Sensitive and will be for a long time to come but still have some of the other which will get used up in the mix. The Arm & Hammer gets used for cleaning the basement floor and the like.

• alldaylaundry
    15 years ago

I have the powder and I find it works well, and the smell seems pretty strong to me. I have a Maytag Epic FLer and I was getting a lot of suds at half the recommended dose, so now I am using 1.5 to 2 tbsp and that's working better. If I have a heavily soiled load though, I need to use OxyClean or bleach to make sure all the stains get out.

• chipshot
    15 years ago

I saw a big (really big) box of "refreshing scent" Kirkland HE powder with "color secure" at Costco last week. While it might be great stuff at a great price, I was hesitant to purchase for fear I wouldn't be able to find a suitable place to put it. Any opinions on the stuff and how it compares to the Tide HE powder we're presently using, the Cheer ColorGuard I wish were available in powder form, or any of the various Sears powders?

• TACHE
    15 years ago

HE? Please.

• pjb999
    15 years ago

We've been using the costco liquid and I think it's great. I really can't imagine the tide being that much better for the extra $10 or so.

I also found the old (before they went superconcentrated) bottles made excellent storage, I would use a hand saw to cut the top off. I store lots of stuff that way.

• Brmart_sbcglobal_net
    13 years ago

I have been using kirklands laundry detergent for about 2 years. I tell everyone about the high quality of the product. But now, I am trying to determine why my dishtowels are no longer absorbent. I do not use any form of softener therefore should not have any oils, etc. So are my old towels the problem, or the are the oils in the detergent causing the in absorbency. Any ideas??

• sparky823
    8 years ago

I think the Kirkland brand was rated well by Consumer Reports. Might have been the Pods though--really can't remember which version now. Seems the Members Mark liquid from Sams rated really high also.

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    8 years ago

Last time at Costco -- they don't carry the Kirkland brand detergent anymore (in the orange box).

Disappointed.

• sandiego_steve
    8 years ago

David - You are a riot! I need to try this out on some of my relatives.

• socks
    8 years ago

I use Kirkland HE pods in my Speed Queen. It's very economical per load. The eco-wash cycle in my machine does not fill for rinsing, but I don't feel like there is detergent in my clothes.

Previously I've used inexpensive detergents--All, Arm & Hammer, and had no problem with them either. I cannot justify high-priced detergents when I have to hand treat every spot anyway.

• larsi_gw
    8 years ago

Arm & Hammer 4in 1 powder detergent pods/packs are AMAZING. If you like the Kirkland pods, try the A&H. Very impressive....BIG bag and not $!

• sparky823
    8 years ago

Saw A&H 4 in 1 pacs today but they also said with Oxi-Clean in them. Wasn't sure if they were the right ones.? I will have to go back and look at the pic of your bag Larsi that you have one here or I think there was?.

• larsi_gw
    8 years ago

sparky823....I do not think my bag says with Oxi-Clean, but the ingredients looks the same as my bag! They are amazing, and produce almost no suds, and they rinse SO clean!!!

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz