Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I get some washer/dryer advice? Model no.'s included.

Posted by StitchHappyMama (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 8, 13 at 10:51

Our Whirlpool Duet Sport dryer (model no WED8300SW1) died a few days ago. It's displaying an F-01 code which I have been told means it needs a new central control unit to the tune of roughly $300. I don't like the dryer that much. I'm buy used and getting a GE dryer, model no. GTDP208EDWW. If you know anything about this particular dryer, tell me all about it please.

I have a Whirlpool Duet Sport front-loader washing machine (model no WFW8400TW00) that I don't love. It works well so I plan on selling it and replacing it with something better-suited for us.

The guy I'm buying the dryer from has offered to trade my FL'ing washing machine for a GE Hydrowave with agitator (model no WJRE5550HWW) or a Whirlpool Direct Drive (model no LSQ9549LQ0). I've researched both and I don't think either are a good fit for me.

Can you recommend a good, basic, easy-to-repair washing machine for us? I want something that loads from the top, that uses enough water to get my clothes clean and is more gentle on clothes. We're a family of 5 with small children so I'll be washing at least a load a day, but probably about 3 loads a day. We cloth diaper also and the washing machine I have just isn't doing a good job at getting our diapers really clean.

I don't mind older models as long as they are very reliable. Sorry for all the chatter. I'm completely overwhelmed with this decision and have probably already over-analyzed. I really appreciate any help you can offer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I get some washer/dryer advice? Model no.'s included.

Speed Queen, Speed Queen, Speed Queen!!! A Speed Queen has everything that you are asking for, and nothing that you don't need. I've had my model AWN542 since May '12 and I am in love with this washing machine. It is built like a tank, actually uses WATER to get my clothes clean, doesn't have a bunch of electronic crap to break, and washes load after load after load beautifully. In all the time I've had it, it has never had an unbalanced load, even when washing throw rugs or blankets. The 542 model has gentle and delicate cycles and an extra rinse cycle as well. A 3-year warranty is standard. It is more expensive than most top loaders (mine was $830 OTD), but it is a very well made and simple machine and I don't see myself replacing it for a long, long time. After seeing what else was out there, I didn't blink at paying the extra money for the Speed Queen. I can't recommend this machine enough! Seriously, go look at everything else, and then go look at the Speed Queen. It won't hurt to read the testimonials online, either. People are happy with this washing machine because it does what it should do ... clean clothes WELL.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here