Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kon45

Allergy sufferers

kon45
12 years ago

I need to know what detergent to try for my son who seems to have developed an allergy to something. I currently use tide, sears, era and whisk so not sure what to try for him. I tried tide free and clear but not sure if he noticed a difference. He is currently seeing a dermatologist and going through some testing. It seems to lcalize in a very tender spot and it's not the obvious male prob, they have treated him for that already. Feel bad for him.

Comments (70)

• Cavimum
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

@dualref - I use the Cetaphil bar soap and really like it.

I avoid the 'antibacterial' version of it, because it contains Triclosan. Triclosan has it's own "baggage" and issues, and can bring a lot of problems to one's skin (ask me how I know) and I now avoid it like the plague.

• livebetter
    12 years ago

I can't believe what they put Triclosan in now. It's even in toothpaste! Seriously ... and people are under the false belief that if they sell it, it must be safe.

• Cavimum
    12 years ago

@livebetter - Colgate "Total" has Triclosan. Long story short - it set me up to suffer perioral dermatitis that had to be treated with antibiotics, several years ago.

Dermatologist told me are all sorts of scary stuff in toothpaste these days, and that she was even seeing children with perioral dermatitis from the kid toothpastes. She told me to hunt down and use plain toothpaste "with no bells & whistles" as she put it. I don't even use toothpaste with SLS and such in it, anymore, and opt in for the natural formulas.

• Pat z6 MI
    11 years ago

Cavimum, I must hear more about your caffeine allergy. I'm going nuts with laundry detergents, bath washes, food, etc., for whatever's got me now. I'm down to one cup of coffee a day and I love coffee more than anything else I can think of right now. Also trying All Free & Clear again. Trying to eliminate dairy and tomatoes, but COFFEE????

• sparky823
    11 years ago

Cokes break me out, which I guess would be like the coffee thing. I have an Aunt who used to have eczema really bad and if she ate eggs or anything they were in it caused it to be even worse. As she has aged hers seems to be gone, but she is careful about eating and drinks only water. She also uses the All F&C.

• Pat z6 MI
    11 years ago

spark, thank you very much for that info. I also suspect eggs, so your comment really helps. Today I'm on an egg- and nut-free diet, but the one cup of coffee is killing me so far. Now I hope to determine if enzymes in laundry detergents affect me, or just the dyes and fragrances. I also have a big black dog who follows me literally everywhere, so I really need to go to an allergist, I know.
    Thank you again, very much.

• Cavimum
    11 years ago

@patann - I've been out of town, just now home and on the desktop computer. Working from my iPhone isn't worth trying to type.....

My coffee allergy affects me in the sinus/inner ear congestion & vertigo, but *anything* is possible with allergies. If you think there might be a coffee (plant/bean) allergy, while it may not show up in the same place, it might compromise your immune system to the point where something, anything, else might cause the skin rash.

Are you absolutely, positively sure ALL the detergent is getting rinsed out of your clothes? I check a "Quick Rinse" after every load, and watch for the least amount of suds. QR on my machines fills with water above the bottom of the glass window, so I get a good view. A typical FL wash cycle doesn't use enough water in the rinses to expose the residue, while the Quick Rinse on my Miele does. If there is ANY residue, my poor husband gets a rash on his neck, chest and back. (we do not use fabric softener, at all) Your machine should have a similar cycle.

• Pat z6 MI
    11 years ago

Cavimum, I still have a top loader. I also rinse about 3 times. (Run full wash/rinse cycle and then put back on wash/rinse/extra rinse with no detergent.) I got poison ivy on my arm in May but it has never completely healed. I ate no eggs or nuts for the past two days, moisturized with my fave lotion and today have had no problem with my arm or scalp, or any other part that has been sensitive. I rotate between Arm & Hammer Free, Wisk, Tide powder, and Cheer Free. My shower soap has to be Aveeno or I pay the price in itchies. I'm trying to find my nemisis before calling for an allergist appointment. When you mentioned coffee, I remembered that Dr. Mark Hyman said it is bad for diabetics so I am down to one cup.

• Cavimum
    11 years ago

@patann - Decades of exposure to all the chemicals in our environment simply wear down our immune system. With allergies, everything becomes a possible irritant. Certain foods cause skin problems if I eat them too often in a week. I can't even ingest much aspartame or my brain goes wonky. Last week, I read the ingredients for a new formula, called "sensitive", of Cetaphil lotion, and it contains one of my worst allergen triggers: shea butter. Gah. I have to read labels, always.

Have you considered that the optical brighteners or enzymes in all your laundry detergents might be guilty? Again, each person is different.

My husband initially started getting his rashes from Charlies Soap residue, which has no optical brighteners or enzymes. We were using the old water-hog TL washer at that time. I was unknowingly overdosing with the CS because 1.) I had an extra-large capacity water-hog TL, and 2.) his whites were getting dingy *and* 3.) our water quality is much softer than anyone here realizes. After getting the FL washer and seeing realizing how much detergent residue was in the clothing, I've had to educate myself on the variables of laundry. One sometimes has to become a home-grown chemist just to do laundry for allergy control.

Here is a link that might be useful: detergent allergy symptoms

• Pat z6 MI
    11 years ago

Great link, Cavimum. I will go back to washing my things in Vaska again, with a lot of extra rinses this time. I'm programmed to think I need enzymes in all washes, but I'll give it a try. Next I'll try BioKleen enzyme-free formula. The Cheer Free and Arm & Hammer Free both have enzymes. I really don't like dividing up the laundry between his and hers, but it sure would be worth it if it works. Have 2 of my sheet sets in the Vaska laundry right now.ce
    Is there another bath soap you can use besides the Cetaphil? Don't tell me if it is Basis bar soap, the smell makes me sick. What shampoo do you use? I'm loving Joico but right now, as I write, my scalp is starting to act up.
    Getting old really sucks bigtime.

• Cavimum
    11 years ago

I use Cetaphil bar soap, but NOT the anti-bacterial version because it has Triclosan, which I avoid like the plague. Have you tried Aveeno bar soap? How are you with Ivory bar soap, other than it drying out the skin?
    Perhaps you would do well with baby shampoo? (Shampoos are not as much a problem for me.)

We have good luck with any "free/clear" type detergent, as long as I run extra rinses to remove detergent residue. (The perfumes from normal detergents give me a headache.) I am not saving much water (no way) with a FL washer. All the extra rinses and cycles sans detergent to remove slight overdoses, when 1 ml(!) too much detergent is too much . . . ugh..... and I never know until it's too late. Underdosing is not nice, either, been there, done that.

Another thought --- do you have a chlorine filter on your shower head? If not, give it a try. It can make a big difference for dry, itchy skin.

Here is a link that might be useful: chlorine allergy info

• Pat z6 MI
    11 years ago

Wow. Thanks for the great link, Cavimum. I will read it this afternoon. (Interesting, however, that one of those bad chemicals in laundry detergents is meant to diffuse chlorine in our water though, no?)

• Cavimum
    11 years ago

@patann - That company's advertising says the anti-chlorine agent in the detergent is there to minimize fading in the fabrics. Various water supplies have varying amounts of chlorine. In our previous home, ten miles away but a different municipal water supply, there were many times a shower smelled like a public swimming pool, due to the amount of chlorine in the water during the summer.

• wekick
    11 years ago

We have detergent allergies. These are some things we have resorted to. Our allergies are worse in the winter.
    Always double rinse but in the winter, one wash and rinse with detergent and some times half detergent and then wash and rinse with water softener used for the wash cycle. I have switched to soap at times as opposed to detergent. Ivory flakes used to be soap so it was easy but now I have to find real soap of some kind to use.

We are getting ready to buy a new washing machine and will probably buy a Speed Queen to have a good amount of water.

• Pat z6 MI
    11 years ago

I've done several loads of my towels, sheets, clothes with Vaska and it really makes a HUGE difference so far, but still checking out food and bath soap sensitivities. If needed, the only thing I would add would be Calgon (or Spot-Off or Bac-Out for stains) but haven't had the need yet. Still washing spouse's clothes in Tide. Will sneak in BioKleen with enzymes when "his" detergents are gone or after I take some detergents to humane society this weekend. I appreciate all your comments tremendously.

• dualref
    11 years ago

We have water that is has heavy chlorine added to it. When you walked into our bathroom after a shower it smelled like somebody poured a bottle of Clorox everywhere. So we added one of those shower filters and it makes a huge difference. No bleach smell anymore! And our skin is not nearly as dried out in the winter time either.

Sometime in 2012 Basis changed their formula on their bar soap. We have been using it for a number of years when all of a sudden it started causing itching really bad. Fortunately I was able to find 10 bars of the old formula being sold on Ebay. But that supply is now running low. And Cetaphil causes itching too.

I have heard that Goat's milk & Glycerine soap is good to use to prevent itches. Does anyone here use it? Also how about "Grandpa's Pine Tar Soap". Someone told me that it smells horrible but does the job without itching.

We used to use FOCA, Purex Baby Detergent & Tide but all of a sudden those have given me the itches pretty bad. We've used them for years but all of a sudden they are aggravating my skin again. So we tried the All Free & Clear and no itches at all.

It appears that the older I get the worse this allergy gets.
    Has anyone else noticed this?

• Pat z6 MI
    11 years ago

dualref, thanks for the various input above. My fave bath soap is now South of France verbena bar soap. Lots of natural oils and it rinses so well. No itchies. Will use Aveeno body wash when nesessary. And speaking of older and itchier, yes, they must go together. I'm still loving Vaska laundry with extra rinses and just ordered Vaska oxygen bleach today on-line. Not sure I need the enzymes in All FC but I won't give it away yet.

• sparky823
    11 years ago

Dual ref/Patann:I too have skin problems and I think they get worse with age. Mine are also worse in winter and you just itch & itch. Sometimes more than others. I have noticed that some of mine are worse with certain things I eat. Spicy things are one of mine but also eggs are the worst for me. I will be clawing in no time after eating an egg.

I have used a lot of different soap but Dove white or sensitive works best for me. Dial and some body wash(Olay thinking it was very moisturing)are the worst for me--feel like you are in an ant bed after using that stuff. I use lotion afterward--either Lubriderm or Eucerin and I do ok then. Have a relative that was having some skin problems and the Dr. told her to only use CeraVe and that helped her.

About the detergent:Used All FC for years due to a child with Asthma. Have flipped/flopped to other stuff just didnt use it on his stuff BUT I have noticed the Tide makes me itch. A few months ago my BIL told me he had been having a rash so he went to the Dermatologist and he ask what he washed in(Tide). Dr told him to get rid of that and go with All FC. He bought it went home washed his stuff again and he said the rash was gone--but the Dr also gave him some cream for it but them afterwards using All no more breakouts.

If you will go on the All website and click on the Dr link then on the Why All FC it tells how it gets rid of dust mites(even in low water temps) and others things too. I most time get the liquid--have used the 3X too. Tried the powder also(bought at W Mart). It is a very fine powder kind of like Ivory Snow used to be years ago. The powder has enzymes best I remember. I havent tried the one with the Oxi. I figure the Oxi or the enzymes might cause a problem for some folks??

Oh yeah, I also take Omega3 Fish Oil and that seems to help me cause I can tell a difference when I skip.

• Cavimum
    11 years ago

@dualref - Those chlorine filters on the shower head really do help!

@sparky823 - the 'all FC' site claims to remove dust mite matter, which is different from dust mites. The verbage is deceiving.

It is possible to become sensitive to anything we've used over time, including 'safe' soaps & detergents. I know someone in their 70s who had an allergic reaction to penicillin recently, even though it never bothered them all their 70 years of life. I wonder if reducing your detergent dose might help.

I know someone who recently got a TL 'he' washing machine in November . Her sons are a bit itchy and her daughter with terrible skin sensitivities is now covered in a body rash and absolutely miserable. In talking with the friend, she is still full-dosing detergent the Kirkland's 'he' FC detergent per bottle directions *and* adding a bit more detergent because she thinks that will help make the clothes even cleaner. I explained about detergent residue, etc. We're on the same city water supply, so I suggested she reduce to 1/3 or 1/4 dose and see how her daughter's skin goes.

This post was edited by Cavimum on Fri, Jan 18, 13 at 10:19

• Pat z6 MI
    11 years ago

When Cavimum first mentioned chlorine filters for showers some months ago, I didn't know that the filter fit right on the shower head because I didn't open up the link she provided. Thank you, Cavimum and dualref for the clarification. I will definitely look into it now.
    sparky, I don't think we react adversely to all enzymes, so All FC actually did not bother me, it's just that I'm not sure my clothes got as clean as they do in Vaska plus oxygen bleach. I would rather not use enzymes, just because I'd rather use oxygen bleach to get my stains out. I've decided that enzymes are just more harsh chemicals that I don't want to use unless I'm desperate about a stain removal. I remember that xhappyx once said she is only affected by the enzymes in Tide products but not any other products, so I've taken a que from that finding and am really picky (and obsessive) about what I use.

• sparky823
    11 years ago

The All FC Liquid doesnt have enzymes, just the powder form that I know of. Then there is the Oxi version which I have never used. I just add my own oxi or some peroxide for white clothes.

Cavi-I didnt realize that about the wording between matter and mites. Thanks for pointing that out.

• dualref
    11 years ago

Actually the chlorine filter for showers usually mount at the end of the water supply pipe in the shower and then your shower head mounts to the filter. Very, very easy to install. You just screw the filter onto the pipe.
    And it really prevents a lot of drying out of your skin. My DW says her hair feels much better with it too.

• Pat z6 MI
    11 years ago

Wow. How amazing would it be this late in life to discover the cause of my itchy scalp is chlorine? On my way to local hardware store right now.

• Cavimum
    11 years ago

@patann - Our local Home Depot sells the chlorine filters, if your hardware store doesn't have any.

From the trivia dept: Liquid ALL F&C "Oxi" is a different formula from Liquid ALL F&C. The "oxi" version has enzymes. I know this because I called the ALL people and asked. The ALL F&C "Oxi" cap is impossible to read for measuring, and I could not get a coherent answer from the people at ALL on dosing the F&C "Oxi" version, so I gave it away.

• dualref
    11 years ago

And I may add that Lowes & Maynard's also sells them too. Just make sure you buy one that has a replaceable filter.
    We use a GE model.

Here is what they look like:

• sparky823
    11 years ago

dual ref-Does the All F&C still seem to be working to keep you itch free? Maybe you have found the cause and won't be bothered with it any more.

• dualref
    11 years ago

Yes, it has stopped the itch completely! It used to start around where my socks hit my skin, then around my wrists when I wore a t-shirt with long sleeves. After about an hour of wearing clothes I would start to itch & scratch.
    I used the All F&C and noticed the difference the after the very first time I washed clothes & bed linens in it. Then I started using a simple Goat's milk soap and all the redness disappeared from my skin. A week later my skin looks 10 years younger. No more itching, scaling, flaking or anything at all!

• sparky823
    11 years ago

dual ref-Thats great. No more misery with the scratching! And for me the more I scratched the more you want to of course...

I saw today in a Wal Mart sale they have the AllF&C 110 load(172oz. jug) for $10.77. Target also has it, same jug but it is $11.99

Glad you found something that works. I have never tried the Goat Milk soap but plan to now. Thanks.

• dualref
    11 years ago

I tried Goat's mill soap with Shea butter and while I had no reaction to it, the honey/almond/oatmeal soap I found online was much better as far as repairing my damaged skin. Just make sure whatever goat's skin milk you buy has only goat's milk, glycerine, oils, essential oils in it for best results.
    If it has any of that sodium laurel stuff in it run away!

• dualref
    11 years ago

And you are right, itching the itch is a vicious cycle. You start to scratch and it makes you scratch more, then your skin gets damaged from the scratching and redness & flaking sets in and you scratch even more.

Once you start avoiding the things that make you itch (like detergents & soaps) it takes a couple of weeks for your skin to fully heal again. But the nice thing is that once you take action the itching usually stops immediately.

• dreambuilder
    11 years ago

Try putting vinegar in the "fabric softener" cup--I've read that it helps rinse out all the detergent residue. I wash most our laundry in baking soda, vinegar and I sometimes add Dr. Bronner's castille liquid soap (free of all perfumes/dyes) available at Target or Trader Joe's. Clean clothes that don't smell like "cleaner".

• dualref
    11 years ago

Just a note, we washed a set of sheets in Vaska Lavender and had no itching at all. The bottle said it is made from plant based products so whatever causes itching is probably not in it. But the sheets came out softer with the All FC.

And for Body washes, even Aveeno those are usually worse than bar soap. They have alcohol in them to keep them liquid and that can dry out your skin even further. I stay away from those. Last time I used Aveeno body wash I itched for days afterwards.

• Pat z6 MI
    11 years ago

I'll take this opportunity to reiterate that "South of France" soap, specifically the verbena formula, are the only soaps, liquid and bar, that I can use with no irritation. Also, believe it or not, Dial original gold bar soap does not irritate my skin. I use it about once a month, more in summer. It was once on a list of "least irriating soaps" on a dermatology website. But do try the South of France super-wonderful-oil bar soaps. I've been using the verbena for a couple of years now but a friend bought me the mango and it is has a natural scent and is glycerine as well.

The body washes don't work for me either, dual.

• dualref
    11 years ago

A few days ago I received a couple of bars of "South of France" Shea Butter soap. It doesn't have any Goat's milk in it but is a basic soap.
    It works ok for me. It doesn't irritate or itch, but it doesn't feel as smooth as the Goat's Milk soap I bought. I look at South of France soap as a good maintenance soap after your have repaired your skin with the Goat's Milk stuff. I just sent one of my cousins who has the same problem with detergents a bottle of All F&C, a bar of Goat's Milk soap and a shower filter with my compliments.
    I'm hoping she gets just as good a result with it as I did.
    Pat: Did you get your shower filter yet?

• Pat z6 MI
    11 years ago

No shower filter yet. Need another billing cycle to pass by. Wish I were your cousin, dual!

Washed all our goose down pillows in Vaska at a friend's house (I have a top loader) yesterday and I think Vaska needs to pay me a commission for pushing this wonderful stuff.

• dualref
    11 years ago

My cousin received her box today and called to thank me. She was going to use the Goat's Milk soap tonight with the shower filter. She said she'd let me know how it works for her in a week or so.

• dualref
    11 years ago

Spoke with my cousin today and the Honey-Oatmeal-Almond Goat's milk soap worked just fine for her. All itching gone and her skin is recovering too. She also likes the All F&C too.

• sparky823
    11 years ago

dual ref-What is the brand name of the Goats Milk soap you bought? I have looked and there are all different brands and also some are homemade. They might all do the same but since you have had such good results with the one you tried for you and your cousin, just wondered which one you bought if you dont mind saying.

Glad the soap and the All helped your cousin also.

• dualref
    11 years ago

I bought the soap from www.sundancesoapery.com. They also sell through Ebay. These are home made soaps too, they contain only the minimal ingredients. I used the Honey-Almond-Oatmeal soap. Before buying make sure the soap you want has Goats Milk in it, they also sell other types of soaps too. They actually have a very wide selection.

BTW, I have no interests in the Sundancesoapery company. I only mentioned it because a reader asked for more info about the company.

• sparky823
    11 years ago

Thanks Dual Ref. I just ordered some of the honey/oat/almond. Thanks Again for your help!

• dualref
    11 years ago

You will definitely like it. The scent is just wonderful. Let us know how your skin likes it after use.

• sparky823
    11 years ago

Dual-I was in Dollar General Market today and they have the 96 load of All Free/Clear for $8.50. I was surprised by that price. Just thought I would tell you in case you wanted to check it out in your area.

My Honey/Almond/Oat soap is supposed to be to me by Thursday.

• dualref
    11 years ago

Thanks for the heads up. I'll see if we have a Dollar General in our area. That's a pretty good price.

Now you have to tell us how the Goats Milk Soap did on your skin. That company has fast delivery.

• littlemrslarge
    11 years ago

I'm new here :-) and this may or may not help, but I make my own laundry detergent - I'm allergic to a lot of scented products, so it's the best option I've found. My basic recipe is 1 cup baking soda, 1 cup washing soda, 1 cup Borax, 1 bar castile soap (grated; can also use 1 bar Zote or Ivory, but the castile is 99 cents at my grocery!). Can add 1/4 cup Purex crystals for scent. Shake it all up in a bottle and use 2 tbsp per load. This is great for HE washers since it doesn't foam up. Our clothes are so much softer and cleaner now - we even stopped using fabric softener altogether! It's much cheaper than purchasing detergent and, for me at least, has been great allergy-wise. You might give that a try!

• dualref
    11 years ago

With the Castile Bar (Is it Kirk's?) I would worry about a soap build up in the washing machine. Maybe a reside in the tub?
    Yes, soap does make clothing washed in it feel softer.

• sparky823
    11 years ago

Dual-got my Goat Milk honey almond oat soap Thursday. So far I like it a lot! Using it I didnt really notice much difference lathering up, but then after you get dried off your skin just feels different. Even my hands felt different. I guess it is the exfoliating and moisturing together that makes your skin feel better.(removing the dead skin) I will be buying more.

Hope it and the All are still working for you.

Thanks again for the info on the soap!

• dualref
    11 years ago

After you use the bar of soap a few times it will become soapier. What I like about it is how fast it rinses off of your skin.
    It's kind of like you put moisturizer on after you get out of the shower, but with none of the stickiness.
    I ordered more soap from the same company and I was amazed at how many scents the Goats Milk Soap come in. I ordered a bunch to give away to friends as gifts this year. I also think the prices are very reasonable for what you get.

• fpmom
    11 years ago

Try 'Charlies Soap' - it doesn't leave any residue in the fibres/clothing and no fragrance etc so clothes come out very clean but free of any residual chemicals etc... I started using when my babies were born and have never looked back - you don't need fabric softener and your clothing will get softer and softer with each wash

• happymomof2kids
    11 years ago

I use All Free clear for my undies. Anything else (and this includes natural and eco friendly brands) causes an allergic reaction in that delicate area. I have sensitive skin all over, but not as bad as there, so I can get away with certain detergents on regular clothing, bedding, and towels. But it's always All Free and Clear on the undies. ALWAYS!!!! LOL :D HTH.

• Pat z6 MI
    11 years ago

happymom, do you use the All Free with the Oxi or the "plain" regular one?