Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shadey_gw

Freaking out on LR Layout .. help!

shadey
10 years ago

Hello,

I am a long time garden poster, but relatively new to the home posting side of things. We purchased a cape cod home in dire need of renovation. We are doing the reno from afar. My brother is an architect and is the main design person. I am, however, frustrated as it is hard for me to envision all of this on paper and we have many limitations with the age/layout of the house. So, here goes, we have gutted the dining/kitchen/back entry in order to make it more practical for our lifestyle -- turning dining room into a transition from mud to kitchen that includes a small powder and laundry room.

It just seems like there is a lot of dead space here in those corners. I will have a pull out ironing board on the south side, under counter but above spot for hampers. I would love a desk in there too ... but it all doesn't seem to want to fit! Does anyone use the laundry area desk? We don't have the right space for it in the kitchen.

I need a sink, folding space, place to store supplies and hang shirts plus drying rack. Right now, sink is on north wall, w/d under window on east, south wall is a counter and row of upper cabs.

Feedback?

Thanks,
Shadey

Comments (5)

• dave1812
    10 years ago

my wife and i fold clothes on either the bed or the couch. why do u feel so much angst for having a "folding space"? this isn't rocket science. throw your stuff into a clothes basket, take it to a convenient spot and FOLD away! :)

• laundryvet
    10 years ago

Word to the wise, front load washer doors rarely can be reversed, the dryer door can almost always be reversed, so picking the brand of washer, if a front loader, may impact you washer vs dryer placement. It's nice being able to have doors swing away from each other to move wet wash load into dryer.

Just my 2 cents of advice.

Also, washers and dryers have gone deep in recent years to boost capacity ratings, allocating extra depth is a plus.

Laundryvet

• mydreamhome
    10 years ago

What a neat reno! I've got some ideas, but I have a couple questions for you before I start to tinker with it...

- What is going in the space to the left of the mudroom door (across from the mudroom bench)?

- How crucial is it to have access to the kitchen from the mudroom?

- What are the current laundry room dimensions? Mudroom? Hall from mudroom to stairs and living area?

- What are the 2 "closets" across from the stairs?

- What are the two rectangle shapes in the hall between mudroom and kitchen?

- Is the door on your left as you enter the main part of the house from the mudroom the garage access door? If so, do you have a "man door" into the garage from outside (a separate entry door into the garage besides the actual garage doors)?

• armjim
    10 years ago

I like your plans. I also like your space. I find it a pain in the rump to have to take the clothes from the laundry room to another area to fold-I know, because that is what I have to do curently. It is so much more convenient to fold and stack them as they come out of the dryer. Regarding the desk in that area, would it really get much use? I am thinking a desk there is not ideal just because it is in a laundry area and might not be used enough to justify the work and expense.

• rococogurl
    10 years ago

I don't care for the cramped laundry room. Ours is a combination laundry/mud and it's very handy. I have a 13-foot long counter for folding, staging, arrivals, wrapping etc. If you could go with front loaders that fit under a counter you can get that.

We have a hanging space that's used for laundry and for some coats. My rotary iron fits in there. This is one of the busiest rooms in our house. I would love it to be three times the size!

I'd speak to him about a combo laundry and mud rooms. And ask why the view from the powder room (which presumably will be used by guests) looks directly at the washer & dryer.