Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quiet washing machine recommendation

Posted by Danceing (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 17, 14 at 10:24

Hi,
I've been impressed by some really intelligent answers here, and now I need help.
I'm looking for a 24" wide electric washing machine for a 3rd floor. I don't care whether it is front or top load, and I don't care whether it stacks or is unitized. My biggest concern is about noise and vibration during the spin cycle. I run a vacation rental on the floor below, and I really don't want the folks who stay here to be bothered by machine noise from above.
Additional info: I am not able to decouple the ceiling below. I've triple-braced the floor joists and insulated with Sound Cow. There's a layer of 3/4" plywood, and I can add a layer of Hardi-board under the tile, but I'm still worried about machine noise.
Suggestions please?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quiet washing machine recommendation

I live in a 1917 apartment with rather less than ideal wood flooring and have a 24" FL washer. It's placed by a load-bearing wall at a corner, the floor has not been especially reinforced, and my downstairs neighbors say that the rarely notice it.
However, despite my personal preference for front loaders, if you main concern is reducing noise due to vibration, a top loader may be a safer bet. A front loader does seem to be more likely to have vibration issues on less-than-ideal flooring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here