Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Traditional Washing Machine

Posted by kanaut (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 10:18

After a week of research and hours at the computer I thought I would ask on the forum. I have a HE washer now that I am about to drop off the tallest building I can find. What I am looking for is as follows:
Traditional top loading washing machine with the center agitator, where I can Adjust the water level (no sensor) and WITHOUT a locking lid (I like to be able to leave lid open and let clothes soak over night). I have a whirlpool cabrio now and I have to presoak, then wash, then rewash, then take what is still dirty to a friends to wash in her traditional washing machine. I need the machine to have ALL features 1. Top Loader 2. Adjustable water level 3. NO locking lid and NOT High Efficiency (I need water to clean clothes)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Traditional Washing Machine

IMHO, there's really only one: Speed Queen. About $830-$860. Essentially like the Maytags of 30 years ago but the tub is larger, agitates better, and handles off-balance loads better. Very well-built and the best warranty in the business. No color choice -- it's white. Agitation or spin will stop when lid is lifted but it does not lock.

Gripes: Comes from the factory with 70% fill-limit. Can be overridden by holding the knob over or making permanent adjustment with a 1/4" bolt behind the control panel. Easy either way. Also all rinses are tap-cold...no adjustment possible.

o

Thank you - just called Speed Queen, found dealer 20 miles from me, they have it in stock for $750 model 8WN412 and it is EXACTLY what I was looking for - top loader, manual water, lid does not lock. My husband is mechanic so he won't have a problem adjusting the bolt in back of machine as well. Thank You!!!!

o

Kanaut before buy the 412, go to the Speed Queen web site and compare the other models for a little more$$ you'll get more features. I'm glad I did.

o

Ditto beagle nc....I have the 542...and glad of it.

Youtube has several video about how to adjust that bolt -- takes minutes but apparently voids the warranty. I didn't care. I did it.

o

Keep in mind that adjusting the pressure switch raises all the levels equally ... so the lowest level will also be higher. Leaving the adjustment as-is and using Reset on the control to get a higher fill when desired gives more range of fill levels ... with the drawback that you'd have to watch for the rinse fill and do Reset again then.

o

I did see the 542 and that is the one the store is ordering for me.
It was only $100 more and had all the options. I've haven't been this excited to do a load of laundry since I got my Kenmore set in college 20 years ago. I learned the hard way - you need water to get clothes clean. Thanks for all the advice.

o

I think you'll really notice a difference with SQ.

We bought the Model 432 as we didn't need all the additional features.

It's so much better then the Crapio we had. I wouldn't buy anything else after getting the SQ. Not only do the clothes come cleaner then they did in the Whirlpool, but I don't have to peel them off the side of the tub. Best part is the sheets don't come out all twisted and in knots.

o

Have my speed queen washer a year this month and still washing great. The dryer works well as it should. The last real "HEAVY DUTY" machines.

o

Can you wash a king size comforter in the 3.3 size?

o

I don't believe a King would fit in a 3.3
But my king did not fit in my old Kenmore washer and it was huge. My comforter was the one item I still had to take to the laundry mat. My king comforter will fit in this whirlpool cabrio HE machine but I have to presoak it for an hour and then I wash 2x. I only wash my comforter every few months so I am more than happy to go to laundry mat in exchange for the speed queen

o

Queen is the largest that I have seen reliably wash in a SQ top load, but it comes down to the loft of your comfortable. A more bed spread version will have no problem with king size.

Safe bet, do it at a laundromat in bigger equipment, 30 or 40 lb load rated machine.

Laundryvet

o

With respect to everyone....

No matter what machine you get, there will ALWAYS be something you own that won't fit in it.

I have the Speed Queen TL...I like it...but King Size stuff is a bad match for the capacity of this machine. Certainly not KS comforters.

Previously had WP Duet which I liked a lot. Huge drum and no agitator. There was still stuff I couldn't fit in it. My sister's King Size mattress pad was in that category.

Be reasonable about this. Dirty Harry wasn't talking about washers but paraphrase of his quote applies. "...got to know your limitations."

It's just a machine. It does what it does and nothing other. It's not magic. If you overload it, it won't work right.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here