Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbstx

How much capacity do I need in a washer?

bbstx
10 years ago

I must buy a new washer and dryer in the next 3 weeks.

DH and I have no children at home. Each week, I wash a load of white underwear, a load of dark underwear, a load of white/light shirts, pants, etc; and a load of dark shirts, pants, etc., a load of sheets, a load of bath towels, and a small load of kitchen towels. I like my clothes divided the way I've set out. If I could, I would not wash the underwear and the outerwear in the same load. I divide by colors and then re-divide by whether or not they go in the dryer or get hung to dry. If I try to combine the loads, I always end up drying something I meant to hang. So this method works for me.

We get lots of company where we live, so about 1/2 the year, I do an extra load of towels and an extra load of sheets each week.

I send my down comforters and blankets out to be washed. There is a great place here in town and they are very reasonable. I have no desire to do them at home.

I've tried to read about washer capacity and I come away with my eyes crossed. Most talk in terms of how many towels to a load, or how many XL t-shirts, or the weight of a load. I cannot relate to any of those.

I am looking at a 3.6 cu ft FL washer. Little Sis has a 4.3 but she has children at home (who I swear change clothes every 10 minutes!)

In your experience and opinion is 3.6 cu ft adequate for my needs and my style of laundry?

Comments (6)