Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fisher paykel dryer too hot

Posted by buckieep (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 6, 13 at 10:07

Our Fisher Paykel dryer recently (after 11 years of faithful service) started getting way too hot, so that any metal will literally burn me when unloading. I turned it to NO heat and still got a burn (blister and all) from a metal stud on a pair of jeans. Obviously, I am afraid to use it! I am wondering if anyone knows what the issue may be, and if it is an easy fix. Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fisher paykel dryer too hot

You didn't provide a model number or say if it's a gas or electric unit.

Could be an operating thermostat stuck, not cycling the heat off at the target temperature.

Also could be the heating element shorted to ground (if electric), which can cause the unit to heat continuously, even if the timer is Off, unless it's disconnected from power.

If this situation is allowed to continue without repair, it may blow a non-resettable protective thermal fuse and either not heat or not operate at all until properly repaired.

o

Sorry, it is a DE05 (electric) and it is NOT hot when not in use. Does that mean it is just a stuck thermostat? Thanks!!

o

Yes could be a stuck thermostat. Only way to know for sure is get into the machine and test/diagnose the suspect components.

F&P frontload dryers on the U.S. market are sourced from GE (Camco), mechanically identical to many GE and Hotpoint units. Check YouTube for videos on disassembly and troubleshooting.

o

I will check it out, thanks dadoes!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here