Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellycrash

Manually Starting Self Clean cycle on Electrolux Washer

kellycrash
13 years ago

So I've had my front load washer for 4 months & I haven't done a self clean cycle. I have been prompted by the machine to perform but I've always ignored it. I know it needs to be done, but wasn't sure how often. Now I know that when it's prompting me to do it, it needs to be done. How novel. lol

So, I want to do a self clean cycle manually.

I followed the instructions in the manual.

1. wake up washer by pressing any button rotate cycle knob to handwash press start and then cancel.

2. wake up washer again by pressing any button then immediately and simultaneously press and hold the eco friendly and control lock button for 5 seconds or until the LCD display changes.

Here's my question. Changes to what?? I held the buttons until the screen changed to "Ready".

I am not sure my machine is operating on the clean cycle. Water temp shows "cold/cold" and "low" spin. Wouldn't the cleaning cycle change these settings to "Hot/hot" & Maximum spin?

So convulted. Couldn't they have added a button that said "clean washer drum". Crazyiness.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong here. Anyone have any tips/suggestions?

Comments (15)

• silvercanadian
    12 years ago

They must have changed this in the latest models, or maybe the Wave-Touch is different? The model wasn't specified in the original post. The most recent Wave-Touch models have the "clean washer" in the Specialty Cycles. So, you just spin the dial to favorites/specialty and select, select "specialty cycles" and then scroll through to "clean washer".

• kerrybh37_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Kellycrash.. you are correct in your directions.. with one exception... DO NOT let go of the eco friendly and control lock buttons... it will cycle past the handwash setting into the system clean mode. I was having the same problem but it finally occured to me to continue holding for the full 5 seconds the manual stated... it worked perfectly!! Hope this helps :)

• kellycrash
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well my solution to this was just to not ignore the machine when prompted for a cleaning. I just try to remember to not put in the detergent before I turn on the machine.

Thanks for your suggestions! I will keep them in mind should I need to manually start a clean cycle again.

• kellycrash
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It only took me a year, but I finally was able to start a manual system clean with the instructions from the manual. Yay!! I ignored it the system clean prompt last time & it needed to be done. Woohoo. amhuerta, I believe your suggestion to hold the buttons down asap upon powering it back on was the trick I needed.
    Thank you!

• bonesoda
    11 years ago

@kellycrash: What page of the manual does it specify the clean cycle procedure?

I did a clean cycle and i just had to go to specialty cycles to select it.

• PRO
    Bay Area Floors
    8 years ago

Thanks everyone. Especially Kerry Bh37.. the 5 seconds did the trick! One year I have been ignoring that!

• Angel Quinones
    7 years ago

It sounds about right but this is what worked for me

1. wake up washer by pressing any button rotate cycle knob to handwash press start and then cancel.

2. wake up washer again by pressing... this is what changed is NOT any button just press start to wake up the machine, then immediately and simultaneously press and hold the eco friendly and control lock button for 5 seconds or until the LCD display changes.

That should do it for more info check out this video in YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kQu7dr36Ds&sns=em

• chattrentals
    7 years ago

Can you please tell me why I can get the same option if the main dial is pressed in or out? I have searched the manual and have not found an answer. I just purchased my set. So far very pleased. Going from an Asko product to this is the best I could hope for. Just confused about the main dial. Seems to work either way.

• Danelle Schaff
    4 years ago

Hahaha thank you Kellycrash for your post from 9 years ago and thank you Angel Quinones for your updated directions three years ago!! I’ve never successfully used this option....but decided today I would figure it out! We have a pretty old Electrolux front loader without the model number on it any longer so I couldn’t even figure out how to look up specifics for our machine. I’m super happy thanks for sharing all of your tricks!!

• mainlinefinds
    3 years ago

Holy cow, I’ve been wondering what that “system clean” was when it would randomly pop up and now that I am moving in a week I have figured it out and cleaned the washer for the new owners. Thanks for this post and the trusty web for leaving it here for eternity! Amazing.

• HU-249319464
    2 years ago

This is my fourth time visiting this page for about eight years now. Like how the heck am i gonna remember all those freakin steps? One thing that wasnt mentioned here was adding detergent or not. i just filled it with bleach and crossing my fingers.

im watching it perform a system clean right now and i cant tell that it is any different from a regular cycle anyways. Heh, imagine that. All this time and hassle and its no different than running an empty load!

Anyways, thanks all! i used to think that if this page is ever taken down that i would have to sell my washer.

my system clean started at 36 minutes, not 41 like mentioned. maybe mine not as dirty?

• dadoes
    2 years ago

I can't say about Electrolux models. The cleaning cycle (called Pure Clean) on my sister's 10yo Samsung is definitely different than a regular wash cycle. It heats to 130°F and runs the drum several times in both directions at distribution speed to slosh the water vigorously around the door boot and outer tub.

• Mark
    2 years ago

Here is a tip for cleaning the 617's and newer Electrolux washers.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6154975/share-how-to-clean-electrolux-smart-boost-washers#n=0

• Olychick
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I have a newer Electrolux machine and can't find the manual. I was looking here for how to run the clean cycle - even though it prompts me and I just have to hit start. I couldn't remember what to add and where. I finally found someplace that said to add a cup of chlorine bleach to the detergent cup (after removing the insert for powdered detergent). I did, then turned the knob to "clean machine" and hit 'start'. I'm not sure what all it did, but it was very different from a regular cycle. The water was really being sloshed around hard in the machine and there were lots of suds. Since I didn't add any detergent, I assume that is from the machine running the hot water and bleach through all the guts of the dispensers that don't usually get that much hot water (or any bleach) run through them.

If I had an older machine, I'd never be able to remember all those steps and would have to look every time.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz