Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beaglenc

stpp

beaglenc
10 years ago

I have read on another forum that the citrates in liquid detergents are to blame for the poor rinseing of the detergents and she uses STPP and has no problem. On all the research I've done, I have not found any info on this and it seems only to used in connection with powder detergents. Have any of you had any experience with STPP and liquids. Would like some input before I take the plunge and order some.

Comments (14)

• dadoes
    10 years ago

I add STPP to every washload, whether powder or liquid detergent, for more than 4 years. No problems have resulted unless there's something happening that's not obvious.

• beaglenc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks dadoes, have you noticed better rinseing with it? That's really what I'm interested in. Powers leave my clothes a little stiff and scratchy. Sears ultra plus seems to be the worse.

• Cavimum
    10 years ago

FWIW, in our water (4 grains - low end of "moderately hard") and washer, STPP seems to act like a water softener. If I don't cut back on the detergent, I get more sudsing and have to do more rinses to get all the detergent out. I"ve used it with liquids and powders, and finally stopped because of the suds hassle.

On the other hand, it really is nice in the dishwasher.

• beaglenc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cavimum, thanks for the input. My water isn't very hard, only takes about a Tbl. spoon or so of he compatible detergent with borax so I doubt I will be ordering it.

• beaglenc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cavimum, thanks for the input. My water isn't very hard, only takes about a Tbl. spoon or so of he compatible detergent with borax so I doubt I will be ordering it.

• enduring
    10 years ago

I ordered some and it came today.

Cavimum, How much do you use for the dishwasher? Does it matter if you use powered or liquid dishwasher soap with the stpp?

I haven't tried it yet for the laundry.

• Cavimum
    10 years ago

@enduring - in the dishwasher I only use 1/4 tsp. and only when I have a large load with some really baked on crud on casserole dishes.

I never use the gel or that type DW soap. Only tabs or powder.

• enduring
    10 years ago

Thanks Cavimum, I tried the 1/4 tsp, and I don't know for sure if it helped. I will keep trying. I use gel but I also have powder pods that I can start using when I have finished the gel. Should I not use gel?

On topic:

1) Can I just throw some STPP into the washing tub and then place my liquid or powder into the dispenser?

2) Can I also use an oxygen bleach along with the STPP?

3) I see that STPP can create increased sudsing. How much STPP would be a good point to start with a Miele 3033?

• Cavimum
    10 years ago

@enduring - Consumer Reports magazine's experiments, tests, and ratings don't show the gel DW detergents to be the best ones.

1)Are you asking about STTP in the DW washing tub, or your (laundry) washing machine tub?

2) In the washing machine, you can always use oxygen bleach with STPP because they are two different things.

3) Depends on how hard/soft your water is. Ours is approx. 4 grains and I never use more than 1/2 tsp STPP in a full load of laundry in our MIele 4842, which has a larger capacity than the 3033. I also reduce detergent dose slightly.

Other people would have different answers, based on their water source and quality.

• enduring
    10 years ago

Cavimum, My first paragraph comment was about using 1/4 tsp in the dishwasher. Otherwise I am talking about my laundry washer for the questions #1-3.

I am glad you posted 1/2tsp as the amount you use in your laundry washer. I would have not known where to start. I will definitely keep this amount in mind. Thanks very much for your help.

edited to add:
    The FAQ page on the subject of STPP is helpful, as there is a general rule of thumb the author uses when adding STPP (in a ratio with HE detergent) to the laundry wash.

This post was edited by enduring on Mon, Feb 17, 14 at 18:41

• enduring
    10 years ago

Well I just put DH's dingy old t-shirts in the dryer, except they aren't dingy any more! I think they are whiter! He is a farmer and his t-shirts are worn hard. He keeps them for years until they are threadbare. He just keeps wearing them because they are holding together. They have looked so dingy though. I have used many combinations over the last several months to see how to get them whiter.

So tonight, in my Miele, I put HE Seventh Generation liquid detergent, I believe it has enzymes. Then on the clothes themselves I put about 1/2 cup oxygen bleach, and about TBS of STPP. My machine didn't explode either ;) I washed it at "extra white" on hot, and extended wash. I wasn't available to watch the sudsing.

I have used oxygen bleach before and really didn't notice much difference. It seems to have been the STPP. I will have to see if I can use less STPP as I might have used too much.

Thought I'd share!

• lee676
    10 years ago

Have added about 20 ml STPP to washer loads for the last 10 years, to great results. Haven't tried it in a dishwasher.

• enduring
    10 years ago

Lee676, Good to hear the dosing for the laundry that works for you. I think that is about the amount I used too. I am very happy I went ahead and purchased the STPP online.

I put about 1/4 to 1/2 tsp in my main basket in the dishwasher along with a pod. I have never used the pods before, got a container full from costco. I still have liquid left so it goes in the prewash area without any STPP. Dishes have been better too, I believe.

• stephenbrown2
    10 years ago

i have used STPP from ChemistryStore for years and years....we have vvery hard water here, so I use about a quarter cup!!??!!....in every load....have never noticed a problem with clothes or washer......it is just very $$$$ to use it this way.......