Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cdnhottie

LG WM2487 or Bosch 500 Nexxt Washer/Dryer???

cdnhottie
17 years ago

Hey everyone!

I have been researching a new washer dryer pair and FINALLY have narrowed it down to either the LG WM2487 pair (in red) or the Bosch Nexxt 500 (stainless look) pair.

Needless to say, I can't decide!!! I much prefer the look of the LG, but there is a $700 difference in price between the two sets with the Bosch being cheaper.

So I am hoping all you great people can help!

Questions:

1) Which pair you would pick (considering diff in price)?

2) Any experiences neg/pos with either set??

3) Heard Bosch dryer in this set is not great...true??

4) Are temps for wash the same for both? Is "profile wash" I keep hearing about in the Bosch the clincher???

5) Has ANYBODY actually used the steam feature on the LG and what are its realistic advantages??

If you can answer one of these questions or all of them please feel free!

Also...ABSOLUTELY ANY other information/insight you can provide, I am ALL ears!!!

Thank you in advance for all your help!!

Comments (21)

• cdnhottie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have been offered tonight the LG WM2677 washer (an old disco'd model maybe?) with LG5977 dryer at the price of the Bosch! So a third choice now!

PLEASE HELP!!

• peeler
    17 years ago

There is a truck load of information here through the search engines. It seems that LG is getting panned for service issues though.

• wblynch
    17 years ago

After what I've read here about LG (Lucky Goldstar) I would never buy any of their large appliances.

Your choice though.

• dross
    17 years ago

The LG washer would be a good buy at around $100 less than the Bosch (which is what they sold for before LG decided to upscale their image). - DR

• plumbly22
    17 years ago

1) Which pair you would pick (considering diff in price)?

I have the Bosch 500, since August 2006

2) Any experiences neg/pos with either set??

No negatives, other than make sure you sit on top of who ever install which ever set you buy to make sure they balance it, front to back, side to side and vertically too... Once DH and I re did the balancing after the installers screwed it up (DH did NOT babysit themn as I instructed him to do before they arrived when he was home and I was NOT)

3) Heard Bosch dryer in this set is not great...true??

My only dryer complaint is that if you open the door for something during the cycler the timer resets itself =to the start... but this truly isn't a "problem" as it shuts off by sensor unless you are on the "timed" air cycle... oh yeah... you can NOT turn of the wrinkle guard... which sometimes it would be nice to do...

4) Are temps for wash the same for both? Is "profile wash" I keep hearing about in the Bosch the clincher???

Don't know about the LG wash temps... I typically wash on cold, but I do all my bedding and towels on either the "temp boost" regular cycle or with the sanitizing cycle...

5) Has ANYBODY actually used the steam feature on the LG and what are its realistic advantages??

Again, no idea

I personally didn't like the looks or "make" of the LG.... plus I have many relatives in Europe where Bosch is common and designed... althoug this model does not apear to be sold there as it is manufactured here... I'd buy the Bosch again....

• Schmidt
    17 years ago

I just bought the Bosch this week. I couldn't justify the price difference for the LG, especially after reading negative comments here about them. And did you know that Bosch is offering a $100 rebate on their washers now through the end of March?

The big complaint with the dryer is the E01 error code you get if there's too much air flow obstruction in your dryer duct. It's annoying, but then you realize it's probably a good idea to clean out the dryer duct, anyway. Otherwise, I've been very pleased with the dryer. Following the directions in the manual, everything has come out perfectly dry the first time, which is a huge change from what we've been dealing with the past few years!

The profile wash on the Bosch was a big selling feature for me. A friend of mine has Maytag Neptunes, and she tries to replicate a profile wash by running her badly stained items through on cold, and then repeating on hot. I love the convenience of having one cycle that does all the work for me.

Hope that helps!

• meg711
    17 years ago

The store I went to today told me that there's a $200 rebate on the Bosch washer.

While talking with the salesman, he said something about not being able to go below a certain price. I thought all these stores negotiate over prices. Does anyone know what a good price is for the Bosch washer and dryer?

• dross
    17 years ago

I thought all these stores negotiate over prices.

That is up to the store. If there is a Lowe's in your neighborhood, they have price match policy that gives you 10% off the lower price (not the difference) if you find it cheaper elsewhere; OTOH, if the store you're talking to is lower than Lowe's, you're already getting a great price. - DR

• Schmidt
    17 years ago

If you go to www.boschappliances.com, their website shows a $100 rebate on all Nexxt washers.

Today's Lowe's ad in my paper shows that they're taking 10% off the price of all in-stock appliances, plus they're offering 12 months no payments and no interest if you purchase with a Lowe's card. On their website and at my local store, the price of the Nexxt 500 series washer in white is $998. So with 10% off and a $100 rebate, that works out to $798. Pretty darn good deal in my opinion!

• jcrowley99
    17 years ago

Schmidt

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to check my local Lowe's ad. Hope my store has the same sale! I aws waiting for a sale after I saw the rebate on the bosch FL.

If you want more info on the Bosch Nexxt 500, read "Questions for owner of Bosch Nexxt 500 Series Washers". People were very helpful and provided a ton of useful info.

I also have to agree about LG. The Steam option is cool and I almost went for it until I realized (was told) that they were Goldstar. I could never pay that kind of money for a Goldstar. A friend of mine has a cheaper LG frontload washer which she is happy enough with. Her only problem is the smell that develops between washings. She tries to keep the door open between uses, but her laundry room (like mine) is in a breezeway between the house and garage. Between her husband and her kids, someone is always shutting the door as they pass through the room.

Good luck in your search. As for me, I'm buying the Bosch Nexxt 500. This week if they are on sale at my Lowes!

Jo

• cdnhottie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the information so far guys!

I have read ALL the posts hear...and everywhere else for that matter! Surely, it sounds like the Bosch owners are happy.

HOWEVER, the unhappy LG owner's appeared mostly to be those who owned the "NON STEAM" models (ie. WM2277, 0642etc).

There simply isn't enough info from those who have purchased the newer Tromm (WM2688 or WM2487 models).

Any insight there would be great.

Although, the difference in price does seem to be large while diff in quality is fairly even. Then again, the LG is a MUCH nicer looking machine.

• sr712
    17 years ago

The LG TROMM Steam washer/dryer has been great for us. 7 months now. I don't know if you travel much, but I have spent a lot of time in Asia these past two years, (Manila, Jakarta and India), and have noticed that LG is like the old GE of Asia. They are everywhere and into everything. Samsung and LG slug it out there for market share. And, yes, the name "Lucky Goldstar" is a rather odd name in our culture, but not to them at all. I'm sure the name "Hot-Point" might make them gringe, too. Don't let just a name influence you.

No problems yet with our units. I consider them extremely solid machines. I have yet to deal with any maintenence issues.

You do have to be sure that the machines are level. Home Depot installation is inadaquate, in that respect, and you'll have to tweak it yourself. I'm sure that is true for most FL machines, though. They do have a video on how to do that.

• sr712
    17 years ago

Here's that install video.....

Here is a link that might be useful: LG TROMM (Discovery) Install Video

• cdnhottie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you very much SR712 for your comments and the video. I have FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY made a decision!!!! HALLELUJAH!!! Never thought the day would come!

I purchased the LG 2487 in Ferrari Red with pedestals. I simply couldn't go with the Bosch sets based on the LG being a real showpiece and the Bosch just very plain.

Also, I spoke to an engineer, serviceman, and sales rep for LG (there numbers provided through Canadian LG Cust. Service who are very fast to answer phones here by the way!) and they all three gave me very honest information about there appliances (said there fridges have some issues) and stated that although all new technology has glitches, there FL's are excellent. Three very different men to speak to, yet a uniform opinion. The serviceman actually also services Whirlpool, Maytag, and Samsung's too. Said LG's are excellent and most issues are with the buyer's needing education (as many of us have suspected all along in regards to negative comments on various message boards).

So I can't speak about LG service in the USA...but here in Canada, they are incredibly helpful and I don't even have the items in my house!

• sr712
    17 years ago

Just an afterthought. concerning leveling, if you are using pedestals....

When the Home Depot guys off loaded the washer and pedestal, they married the two out in the street before bringing it into the house. I watched everything they did (and didn't) do. The two pieces get married with these brackets on the sides that both screw and glue together. They just slapped the two units together, not paying any attention to the leveling legs that were on the bottom of the washer, now resting on the top of the pedestal. Who knows what position they were in, after coming all the way from Asia. What I found out later, was that these leveling legs do influence the vibration coming off the machine. Even if you get the complete unit level, you can still have some vibration problems if the leveling legs on the washer were wacked when they put the two together. Unfortunately, the glue they use for the brackets is fairly permanent, and hard to make changes after the fact. I would probably suggest that the legs on the washer be put all the way in prior to joining the pieces together; or, level the pedestal, put the washer on top, level that, and then put the joining brackets on.

I love Home Depot, but they really should get better-than-minimum-wage contractors to do these installs.

Good luck.

• wblynch
    17 years ago

"I love Home Depot, but they really should get better-than-minimum-wage contractors to do these installs."

That's the problem. Everyone is shopping the he** out of the price. By demanding the lowest price they are forcing the retailers to use the cheapest labor.

You gets whatcha pays fer

• sr712
    17 years ago

Actually, I paid myself nothing, and received excellent service. :) But, with what I paid for these units, I could have bought a small car. I did not dicker with them for price, but paid them what they asked.

• emagineer
    17 years ago

This thread makes me feel a whole lot better. Just purchased the LG set today and was having buyers remorse together with sticker shock.

SR...I made the comment that these units had more chrome than my car...and you are right about buying a small car. When did W/D get so expensive? I need to get out more...

• cdnhottie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

SR712: Thank you for the excellent video link and that last bit of pedestal levelling information. I was wondering how to deal best with the EXACT pedestal to washer levelling issue you described!!

I think I will insist on the bolts being put all the way up initially as that would allow for least amount of wiggle between washer and pedestal...which is a good start!!

Wish me luck tommorrow...sorry now "this" morning!!

• dross
    17 years ago

When did W/D get so expensive?

You mean "cheap": A very basic Maytag top-loading washing machine cost $302 in 1975; in 2006 dollars that would be $1132. - DR

• jcrowley99
    17 years ago

Wouldn't cheap be the basic top-loading Whirlpool you can buy today at Lowes for $298.00? Even less than in 1975! But, you get what you pay for, so if you want newer technology and lots of functionality you have to pay more. People probably craved the Maytag in 1975 the way they do fully loaded Front Loaders today.