Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alwaysgolf

Anyone install their own Duets?

alwaysgolf
17 years ago

Has anyone attempted to install their Duets. The place that I bought them at doesn't do installation and I have read that the key to the installation is leveling. Was curious if anyone has attempted and are there any other quirks to a good install. Install will be in single story, concrete slab with tile flooring. Any tips will be helpful. TIA

Comments (12)

• laundryman
    17 years ago

When I moved into my House 3 yrs ago I brought my HE3's with me. They are the sister machines to the Duets. I installed them myself. It's not real difficult. First I got them level, using a level. Then Adjusted the feet accordingly by rocking the machine from corner to corner to make sure all 4 feet were firm on the floor. Did not use the level for checking level after that. Mine are also on a concrete slab with tile. Haven't had a problem at all. The important thing to remember is, to tighten the nut on the feet to lock them into place so it doesn't become out of level.

• asolo
    17 years ago

IMHO equal weighting the feet is more important than precise levelling. Otherwise agree with laundryman. Not rocket science, but careful attention will result in good, depedendable operation. (The washer is heavy...be careful!)

Also, leave the transit bolts in place until the machine is at the location.

• dmlove
    17 years ago

Asolo, could you explain "equal weighting" vs. "leveling"? (Mine are installed and working great, I'm just curious)

• asolo
    17 years ago

Pretty self-explanitory, I would think.

Level means level...as in not tilted. These machines run just fine as long as they're close to level. Perfection is nice, but close is good enough.

However, if the four feet aren't bearing the burden of the machine's weight equally -- or nearly equally -- there is increasing tendency to vibrate or walk. The forces generated by spinning, in particular, should be bourne equally by the feet for best operation. The built-in suspension can't work properly unless the feet are nearly-equally weighted thereby nearly-equally bracing the suspension components. Many people are clueless about this. They just get the feet to visually touch the floor and then can't figure out why they have problems.

• cluelesshusbandman
    17 years ago

Well, we bought ours at Lowes and they delivered and "installed" them, which consisted of two "delivery guys" sliding them into place, screwing down the front legs until it didn't obviously rock, then running the shortest cycle with nothing in the basket and marveling to us how smooth it ran. Well, duh....

(I use the term "delivery guys" as apposed to "installation technicians" which is what we really wanted)

Anyway, the washer wasnÂt even close to level and we did experience quite a bit of heavy vibration when running an actual load of laundry. Ours has the Whirlpool pedestals so it is easy task to remove the drawer to give you excellent access to all the leveling legs. I leveled the thing up using a standard carpenters level and locked tightened the leg locking nuts (Something the "delivery guys" did not do, but is heavily stressed anywhere you read.)

After leveling the machine vibration was reduced but was still much more than I liked, sometimes vibrating over ½ inch.

So I got the idea to "dynamically" balance the machine. I ran a load of towels and when it went into spin cycle I "tuned" one of the legs back and forth. It was amazing to see the dramatic effect that had. Turning the leg even ¼ turn made a huge difference. Over the next few days as we ran other loads I fined tuned the leg and now the machine is pretty damn solid. Mind you it still shakes some, but perhaps 1/10-1/18 of an inch instead of ½ inch and doesnÂt give the impression that it is beating the hell out of itself now.

Certainly it is a pain in the a**, but was well worth it to me.

Good luck!

• asolo
    17 years ago

FWIW, I did similar to cluelesshusbandman upon original install two years ago. Thankfully, there wasn't much to do because my guys were caring and competent and did a good job. The machine is quiet and doesn't vibrate or walk. The 1/2" I left between it and the dryer is still exactly 1/2". There's been no movement at all. I can put my finger in the gap when its spinning at full speed not have it pinched or abused at all by what little vibration there is. (Machine is on linoleum over concrete pad.)

• dmlove
    17 years ago

This may be self-explanatory to you, but if it was self-explanatory to me, I wouldn't have asked. So I continue...if the four legs are visually touching the ground, and the machine is "level" according to a level, how do you know/change the weight each bears?

• cluelesshusbandman
    17 years ago

^^^^^ Look Up ^^^^^

The two posts immediately above yours explain how at least 2 people did it with great success.

Even after my machine was perfectly level and all feet touched the floor solidly, and it still beat the hell out of itself. By tuning one leg, all the vibration issues went away.

• asolo
    17 years ago

"Mine are installed and working great...."

If your feet weren't close to equally weighted, this wouldn't be the case. To check it, people generally begin by simply pushing the machine back and forth slightly. If the weighting is way off, you'll feel the give on a corner as you shift the machine's weight. If it does that, adjust the leg(s) slightly until it doesn't. From that point, move to better/best adjustment by using the "dynamic balancing" method described above. There's a "feel" to it, but its not hard to figure out -- and it makes the difference between a machine that runs right and one the doesn't.

• laundryman
    17 years ago

I guess I should have explained my leveling better. Asolo's description is exactly what I had done. I started with a carpenters level, But then to get all the weight equally on all for feet was a matter of slight adjustments on the Leg(s) and it's usually just one of them. Mine does not vibrate at all.

• dmlove
    17 years ago

Thanks all - next stop, pedestals!

• alwaysgolf
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks all too!! Next stop figuring out the dryer venting issue.