Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
washer brands

Posted by phrog (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 6:51

I've been mentally editing my list of FL washer brands as I read the "Never Buy ___!" comments here. I'm at the point where I'd worry about any of the ones I was considering (LG, Maytag, Samsung in the $1,000 range).

Even more confusing, LG has the highest reliability rating in CR, but also seems to have the most warnings here about poor quality parts and lack of repair people.

My hunch is that I could almost toss a coin to choose brand, but I should buy the best, longest extended warranty I can find.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: washer brands

The most reliable residential brand with the longest warranty is Speed Queen. Their home laundry products can even be used in commercial settings without voiding the warranty. I don't think any other residential brands allow for commercial use.

o
RE: washer brands

phrog, here's a hint: It is not which brands have failures, but how, those times that they fail, they have those failures.

Looking at the data, we saw that the majority of failures reported for Samsung washers were for control motherboard failures, and they occurred in areas with "dirty" electrical power. So we purchased a Samsung washer, and, before we plugged it in, we put a Tripp-Lite "SpikeCube" (less than $10) in the mains socket to isolate the control electronics from the spikes and surges in the line feed. We have had no problems with the washer since installing it three years ago.

You may find similarly easy fixes to the types of failures that other brands experience.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tripp-Lite Spike Cube

This post was edited by herring_maven on Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 23:04

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here