Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynn2012

What surge protector should I buy for my washer & dryer?

susanlynn2012
14 years ago

What surge protector should I buy for my washer and dryer that will keep them grounded and provide better safety to the electrical board?

Comments (14)

• grainlady_ks
    14 years ago

I don't know why more people don't put in a whole-house surge protector with all our expensive electronics in homes these days. Along with a whole-house surge protector, we turn the water off at the taps after using the washer.

-Grainlady

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Grainlady, I will look into an whole-house surge protector from JCP&L (the company that supplies my electric) if they are able to do this since I live in a townhouse. I am going to try to figure out how to turn the water off at the taps after using the washer. I just know to turn them off if going away for a long time. I use the washer just about every day or every other day for small loads since I wash my dog beds for my tiny dogs each week and I wash my sheets very often due to my allergies.

Thanks for posting.

• czechchick2
    14 years ago

My whole house surge protector cost less than 100 bucks and electrician installed it for 30.
    Just find out what size you need.It is so worth having it.
    Amazon carries several of them.

• dianne47
    14 years ago

In addition to turning off the water, you can unplug the washer and dryer. We always do both when going away on trips.

We're building a new house and are installing a whole house surge protection unit. As others said, it's not expensive.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you czechchick2 & dianne47 for your help. I will definitely look into a whole house surge protection unit and I will remember if I am going away to turn off the water and unplug the washer and dryer. In fact, I may pull out the plugs when I am having an electrical storm. I just never thought about it since when my washer and dryer were installed 5.25 years ago, I asked if they needed a surge protector, and I was told they needed to be grounded directly into the wall. But I see from reading posts, they do need protection.

• dadoes
    14 years ago

Unplugging is the simplest and surest way to prevent surge damage during electrical storms or periods of non-use of any electronic device or appliance. The ease of that (for an appliance) depends on if the cord/outlet is accessible. Of course, some things, such as refrigerators, don't have any non-use periods! For computers, don't forget that telephone or cable lines connected to modems also should be disconnected, along power to the monitor and peripherals such as printers.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    14 years ago

dadoes, I will remember to unplug my washer and dryer whenever there is an electrical storm as well as look into a whole house surger protection system. I am also going to look into a surge protector that covers the two outlets and lets the washer and dryer be grounded in that.

• westom
    14 years ago

Unplugging is not a reliable solution for a long list of reasons. First, a most unreliable solution means human intervention. Second, even early 20th Century ham radio operators disconnected their antennas, put the lead inside a mason jar, and still suffered damage. Damage stopped only when the antenna lead was earthed. That is the only reliable solution used everywhere that damage cannot happen.

Your telco's computer is connected to overhead wires all over town. They disconnect - stop all phone service - everytime a thunderstorm approaches? Of course not. With about 100 surges during each storm, well, how often is your entire town without phone service for four days? Never? Because every telco everywhere in the world uses a solution that is reliable.

Only effective protector is located where wires enter the building - the 'whole house' protector. AND earthing must be upgraded to both meet and exceed post 1990 code. No protector - not even the 'whole house' protector - provides protection. Protection is always the earth ground. Earthing both meets and exceeds code so that nobody knows any surge existed. A properly earthed 'whole house' protector earths even direct lightning strikes - and remains functional.

The reason for earthing and a 'whole house' protector is ... well your telco never disconnects during thunderstorms - and must never suffer damage. Same reason why informed homeowners upgrade earthing for that one protector - and use computers routinely during every thunderstorm.

Again, why is the 'whole house' protector so highly recommended and effective? No protector provides protection. Protection is always about where energy dissipates. A protector is only as effective as its earth ground.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Westom, thanks for the explanation of why I need a "whole house" protector. I will call JCP&L this week to see what they provide in terms of this type of protection.

• westom
    14 years ago

Appreciate that JCP&L is not responsible for earthing anything. Only you are fully responsible for providing that earth ground. Their protector will only be as effective as the earth ground that you install.

No protector provides protection. Protection is provided only by the earth ground. The protector's job - to connect a wire to earth ground during a surge. A protector is only a connecting device - not protection.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    14 years ago

westom, then what is an earth ground protector and where do I buy one?

I use an APC UPS for my computer and surge protectors for my printers, TV, microwave and copier.

• westom
    14 years ago

No surge protector is protection. For over 100 years, an effective protector connects to earth. Earth is where surge energy gets harmlessly absorbed. If that protector has no short connection to earth, well, view numeric specs for that APC. Where does it list protection from each type of surge? It doesn't.

Only more responsible companies provide 'whole house' protectors including General Electric, Intermatic, Leviton, Polyphaser, Siemens, and Square D. A Cutler-Hammer solution sells in Lowes and Home Depot for less than $50.

How to identify ineffective protectors. 1) It has no dedicated wire for that 'less than 10 foot' connection to earth. 2) Manufacturer avoids all discussion about earthing. APC violates both.

Effective protector costs $1 per protected appliance. Even human safety critical appliances such as furnace, bathroom GFCIs, and smoke detectors are then protected. How much was that APC? $25 per? $80 per? And it does not even claim protection from typically destructive surges in its numeric specs.

Protection is always about where energy dissipates. Either earth before a surge enters the building. Or it hunts for earth destructively via household appliances. A protector is only as effective as its earth ground. One reason why APC does not discuss earthing.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Docno, great advice, and with a new washer comming monday I need to buy a surge protector today.thank you for the reminder.