Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
starraffy

Dehumidifier as dryer?

starraffy
10 years ago

Who's using their dehumidifier for drying clothes as well?

Comments (11)

• whirlpool_trainee
    10 years ago

Switzerland does. They have rooms dedicated to drying clothes with wall-mounted dehumidifiers.

• linus2003
    10 years ago

Yes I do have a dehumidifier as a dryser but also have normal dryer.
    I want to hang alot of clothes and that cuts down the time it takes to dry.
    I have had one for over 10 years now and just bougt the second one wich is alot better. The fan in it is so strong so it moves the air in the room much faster so a load of laundry will dry in about 6 hours instead of days otherwise.
    I do recomend it alot if u wanna cut down the use of power because they are alot cheaper to run than a dryer.
    //

• starraffy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

whirlpool_trainee , so a lot of people have been doing it, I'm planning to have on my own too..

• starraffy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

poppel25, really? so its cheaper running a dehumidifier than a dryer if based on the energy consumption. i am buying one cause i want my clothes and linen to dry fast given my space is quite small. what have you got? I had one years ago but i left it in my mom's house.

• Cavimum
    10 years ago

Dehumidifiers have a compressor that blows out warm air. Sort of like standing behind a window unit air conditioner, outside. They also don't last as long as they used to. Now more cheaply made, like all "disposable" appliances. (Grrr.....). we've had to replace our basement unit every three years.

• linus2003
    10 years ago

I've got a wood's dehumidifier made in canada. If you go to woods.se and change the language to english you can read it. I'm in Sweden so thats the default setting of the website. The model I have can be found on amazon.com if you are in the us.
    Model being:
    Heaven Fresh NaturoPure 45 Pints (20L) Dehumidifier HF 610 with Activated Carbon Filter and Direct Drain Option
    On woods website the model are mdc16.
    my previuswas also a woods and that lasted for 10 years before a got a new one.
    I really likethis one. If the space are small everything will dry rather fast. It will not be as fast as a dryer, just remember that.
    //BR

• Pat z6 MI
    10 years ago

I use a dehumidifier in the basement to dry certain clothes only in the summer. In the winter it seems the heat from the furnace vents in the basement do the trick. I assume our whole house furnace humidifier fills up the basement in the winter, so using a dehumidifier seems counter productive. I didn't know so many other people did this too.

• GlenHoffman
    9 years ago

Yes, I use dehumidifier for drying my clothes. Dehumidifier can be an exceptionally successful system for drying garments inside and its turning into an alternative option to tumble drying.

• ltlfromgardenweb
    9 years ago

They're better than a dryer for delicate sweaters, and better than simply waiting forever for sweaters to air dry. I used to have a drying rack set up in front of a dehumidifier and bras, sweaters, other delicate items all got thrown on it--dry in a matter of hours, not days, and in perfect condition.
    IMO you can't do without a dryer too, unless you like stiff jeans and waiting a long time for heavy clothes and comforters to dry.

• lp642
    8 years ago

A dehumidifier is great for drying clothes. First of all, it doesn't damage the clothes like a drier can. And in winter especially, a dehumidifier is much more efficient than a drier. A drier takes warm indoor air, heats it up even more, then vents it outside, at the same time sucking in cold air from outside into the house to replace it. That's a huge amount of heat loss. With a dehumidifier, the heat that is lost when the water evaporates from the wet clothes is recovered when the water condenses on the coils and is vented back into the room, along with the heat generated from the energy used to run the dehumidifier. The same goes for a bathroom vent fan. It's much more efficient to dry out the humidity in a bathroom with a dehumidifier than to vent it outside and suck in cold air to replace it.

• User
    8 years ago

Are you all using a particular brand?