Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazybusytoo

Wish you fixed your old washer instead of buying a new one?

crazybusytoo
12 years ago

After reading all the reviews about front load and top load washers, I'm tempted to have my 15 year old Kitchen Aid Superba fixed.

It will cost $300 for a new motor, but it has a hand care cycle and user adjusted water levels. Plus, I don't have to wash it once a month, worry about mildew or twisted clothes. It also has a really fast cycle. While the new HE washers use less water, they also take longer to run a cycle, so more electricity is used. I can't understand how that is energy efficient. Where I live, electricity is coal generated, so the electricity usage is a concern.

Do any of you wish you had repaired your old washer instead of buying a new one? I am wondering if that will buy me some time and hopefully there may be some improvements on the HE washers. I can't find a single washer or brand that gets consistently great reviews, and I don't know that decreased water usage makes up for increased electricity usage.

What do you think? I'd love to hear your opinions.

Comments (39)

• sparky823
    12 years ago

Can't say about your washer, but I recently did that with my dishwasher. I have had(and liked) mine for 9 years and the pump/motor went out so after looking at a few new ones that seemed smaller and flimsy, just decided to have mine fixed. Washes great and I think it is quieter now than when it was new.

So, if you want to keep yours, just get it fixed and hope for the best. If the transmission is good I would think you should get several more years out of it.

Maybe DaDoes will see this soon and give his input. He can tell you exactly what you need to look into about keeping your KitchenAid--in fact I think he has/or had one.
    Good Luck.

• deeageaux
    12 years ago

More electricy is not used due to longer cycles on front loaders.

Far less water is being moved therefore a lot less weight and that more than compensates for the extra time.

I am extremely glad I chucked my old top load Whirlpool and got my extemely water and electricty efficient Bosch.

I have never had mildew and I never wash my washer.

I use Sanitary cycle to clean socks and underwear and that cleans any softner residue that might be there.

I don't have problems with "twisted clothes" either.

I would be willing to bet your washer did not get consistently great reviews when you bought it. If you research any appliance long enough you will find someone who hates it.

A lot of the negatives on the good front loaders come from people who don't understand the differences between a top loader and front loader and that some adjustments need to be made.

• dadoes
    12 years ago

It's a common that people mistakenly believe a frontloader or HE toploader's longer cycle uses more electricity regards to the machine's motor and other internal mechanical components. These units have a different kind of motor that doesn't pull as much wattage/amperage as those in toploaders of years past.

The OP's KA (KA toploaders are Whirlpool drive-drive units) likely has a 3-speed motor, which those are more expensive due to the additional copper for the 3rd speed winding. Part number 3350418. SearsPartsDirect.com lists it for $147, which is considerably less than $300. Other online sources I check range from $182 to $199, still less than $300. eBay currently shows 3 listings under that number, one new $150, one used $58, and one used $45 (but the picture shows a wrong type of motor).

Changing the motor is an easy DIY job. The new motor won't include a drive coupler ... a new coupler (PN 285753A) is easier than removing and reusing the old one, additional $10 to $12.

Only question is whether the diagnosis of a bad motor is correct.

• suburbanmd
    12 years ago

I'm glad that I bought an FL to replace my agitator TL three years ago, rather than fixing it. My clothes are far, far cleaner than they ever were. No mold problems with the new machine, while the old machine had gotten moldy, as evidenced by smelly towels in the months before we replaced it.

OTOH, I recently decided to get the hinge fixed on a 20-year-old refrigerator rather than buying a new fridge, because reviews of current models are so discouraging.

• livebetter
    12 years ago

I switched from top loader to front loader in 2001 and never want to go back. I owned a Frigidiare Gallery Heavy Duty FL washer/dryer first and then got a new Miele pair in 2011 (W4842/T9822).

We rented a cottage two summers ago that had a TL washing machine. I did a few loads of laundry and was reminded why I never want to own a TL again.

I agree that many folks just don't know how to make adjustments for using a FL machine - this causes a lot of problems for them.

My mom got a new LG FL last year after 26 years with the same KA top loader. This was her first FL ever. I walked her through the simple guidelines for use and care and she is so thrilled with them.

She called me the other day to tell me how she had brought a bunch of white table cloths home from church after a function. They were covered in food stains and in particular blue icing from a cake that was served. She didn't pretreat them - just tossed them in on hot - used Persil Universal Megaperls and they came out like new. She called to tell me how much she loves her new machines.

So you see ... its all perspective ... depends on what type of person you are whether you would find the change welcoming or horrible.

I have no doubt that âÂÂfor the most partâ front load machines clean better than traditional TL or HE TL (Consumers Reports supports this claim) but if youâÂÂre someone stuck in your ways who doesnâÂÂt like change than fix what you have and be happy.

• sandy1616
    12 years ago

If the idea of an he machine is unpleasant to you it may be better to fix what you have or buy a new conventional top loader. I see the non energy star top loaders on sale / clearance frequently for $400 or less.

FWIW I have never missed my old top loader. The wash cycles are longer but the dry times so much shorter. My FL uses much less water and my electric bill dropped by $20 a month. My clothes are cleaner and the only mildew issue I've had was due to abuse by my mother in law who favors express wash cycles, double detergent doses, cold washes and keeping the door closed at all times. She also tried to make microwave popcorn in my convection oven. New is not better for all. LOL!

• suburbanmd
    12 years ago

A conventional non-HE top loader, built today, will probably be less satisfactory than your 15-year-old machine. It'll use less water, and cooler water.

• Cavimum
    12 years ago

You might be happier with fixing your old washer. I finally ditched our 16 y/o conventional TL washer last year, for a FL. But I had spent an average of $200 - $300 on three different occasions, repairing it to keep it limping along. I saw evidence of another repair coming, one that had been done eight or ten years ago, and decided I was done throwing money at it. I was ready for a FL washer and have no regrets.

Do what you feel comfortable doing, and that will be the right decision. For me, it was making a few expensive repairs until I was finally ready to let it go.

• asolo
    12 years ago

FWIW....I have a 19-year-old Maytag TL still working at mom's place and a 7-year-old Duet 9400 FL at another location. Use both regularly.

The Duet FL does a MUCH better job of everything. Have had NONE of the issues so frequently complained about here. Thing just works. Really no argument at all about it's superiority.

If/when the Maytag decides to quit working, I won't be putting a nickel into repairing it. When the time comes, I will certainly replace.

Get one with a heater.

• nerdyshopper
    12 years ago

I don't think you will be happy if you substitute a new computer controlled washer for the simple designs of yore. So much to go wrong. Just because the environmental police have grabbed still more of our freedom.

• mara_2008
    12 years ago

I could have written the first part of livebetter's post, with a few changes:

I switched from a traditional top loader to an HE top loader a few years ago, and never want to go back.

We rented a condo last summer that had a traditional TL washing machine. I did a few loads of laundry and was reminded why I never want to own that type of TL again.

I agree that many folks just don't know how to make adjustments for using an HE TL machine, or don't take the time to read the manual thoroughly - this causes a lot of problems for them.

Individual experiences vary widely. FWIW, here's mine along with my resulting POV:

The traditional washer I replaced with my current HE washer had been repaired several times and was about 20 years old. It had definitely reached the end of its 'life span'. Any repair at that point would have been short-lived.

The ONLY advantage I can think of with that washer was the fact that it gave me true hot or warm water with no internal heater.

We replaced it with a Maytag Bravos HE TL, and these are its advantages over our old Kenmore:

It is MUCH bigger. I can wash 2x to 3x as much laundry in one load, including a queen- or king-size comforter. Because I have a large family, this advantage cannot be overstated. I used to wash 7-10+ loads each week. Now it's 3-5 loads per week. This has meant not only a substantial savings in water and energy (especially not having to take comforters to a laundromat), but just as importantly, my time.

The washer uses far less water in almost all cycles. Only exceptions are the Soak, Bulky, and Handwash cycles. However, it actually uses less water for these too when you take into account the much-larger loads I wash.

Because we're on a septic tank, this much-lower water usage also helps our septic tank work better and go much longer between pumpings.

Laundry comes out less wrinkled and twisted than it did in the old washer w/agitator. It also comes out much drier because of the much-higher spin speeds, resulting in less dryer time, meaning more savings there on energy.

This washer is MUCH quieter. It also has dispensers which save me time running back and forth during wash cycles.

Because this washer has an internal water heater, which means I can wash with true hot or warm water, there are no disadvantages at all -- only advantages.

If your washer is big enough for your needs, if you are happy with the way your laundry turns out, if you don't have a septic tank, and if repair would keep it working well for some time to come, then I would most likely continue using it as long as I could. IMHO, this would be most cost-effective.

• dualref
    12 years ago

I have a 18 year old Whirlpool TL machine. It has been pretty trouble free the entire time I've owned it. If anything goes wrong, I'll just fix it.

Why? Total control over cycle times and temps. It cleans my laundry to my satisfaction. I get to do the laundry the way I want to do it, not how the machine decides to do it. It'll probably last another 19 years. Whirlpool has made millions of these direct drive washers. Parts will be available for years to come. And they are cheap and easy machines to work on. They are modular. A motor can be changed out in 20-30 minutes. A rebuilt trans can be had for $150 or so.
    So if I were in your position, I'd fix it and just move on.
    Your machine will continue to serve you for years to come.

• gr8daygw
    12 years ago

Mara 2008, isn't it funny I almost feel exactly opposite about the Bravos!!! I am so glad you are having good luck with yours. I am getting rid of my Bravos top 'o the line pair. It doesn't clean well at all. I know how to use it and even read the manual, do not overload, etc, etc. I am getting a GE washer pair on Wednesday, have had it with the washer getting out of balance and putting clothes into a tight heavy mushroom cloud that must be pulled apart all filled with water and heavy. Everything is many times more wrinkled than with my old TL Maytag ~18 years old and never a minute of trouble. I dislike the dryer even more. The steam does nothing to remove wrinkles. It is so loud and makes loud popping noises. The timer is whack, the lint screen has this felt around the edges that won't release the lint and is difficult to get back in after cleaning. I am really sad about it as it was quite the splurge for us two years ago.

• crazybusytoo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you everyone for sharing your experience and insight!

You really made gave me a lot to think about!

I ended up getting the washer fixed. After seeing all the photos in this forum of lovely laundry rooms, I decided to hold off on the new washer/dryer since I am planning on remodeling the kitchen in the fall, and it makes sense to do the laundry room at the same time.
    Plus, I really have no complaints about my KA Superba, and the price I negotiated was very fair. (Thank you Dadoes) Hopefully we'll see some improvements in the new HE appliances soon.

• beaglenc
    10 years ago

I have a Bosch nexxt 500+ and while there are things I do like about it, in order to use those things, the machine really vibrates badly. So much so, I'm concerned what it will do to the floor with long term use. I run a clean cycle and no vibrations but add closes and a normal (cotton) sanitary or kids care even set on gentle spin the thing walks.
    Plus I don't feel that hearing a load of wet clothes slapping in the drum and getting pills all over enough water is being used.
    so I am seriously considering getting the 542 speed queen before the next round of restrictions. Oh and the dryer, I really hate it. My clothes don't dry any faster than before. A 56 minute wash time and the dryer shows 1:17 and sheets come out in a BIG ball. So yes I wish I had my old kenmore back.

• fordtech
    10 years ago

If I ever had to give up my Neptunes I would hunt high and low for a Maytag 712 top load washer and dryer set like I replaced with the Neptunes and restore them to new. I had them for 17 years and they were still going strong. The wife gave the 712 set away and I am willing to bet they still run. I just HAD to have the amazing front load washer I heard all the raves about.
    That was 13 years ago and I have enough parts for the Neptunes to last likely 10 or 12 more years. Ill be about 70 then and dont know if Ill be around to do any laundry then or not.

• dadoes
    10 years ago

FordTech, I have a 1970 A906 and A206, and a 1976 A608. My sister is still running a 1984 LA512, I changed the pump on it last year. I bought three sets of tub bearing & seal kits last week. My 906 needs that job done, the other two are spares.

• fordtech
    10 years ago

I have no doubt they will just keep going and going as long as that trusty helical transmission holds up. If a B-52 bomber can still fly after over 50 years of service, a well made top loader can as well.

• mark40511
    10 years ago

Asolo -

If you were me and something went wrong with my Duet 9300 with heater that's exactly 8 years old now, would you get it fixed or replace with new one? I'm only asking because I know you know this machine pretty well. Nothing is wrong with mine at all, just wondering what you would do personally.

• sshrivastava
    10 years ago

Too bad I couldn't "fix" my previous washer/dryer to be larger! :)

• hollyanncollins
    7 years ago

Can't stand the new LG units I bought. Dryer cannot handle the bedding loads nor can the extra large washer. I bought them expressly for the bedding. I will buy old agitator type top loaders and the old dryers -used -next time. Wish I could return these/

• dsogle
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

My wife and I have a Whirlpool TL washer and matching dyer we purchased over 24 years ago when we got married. We have grown to a family of 5 - Lots of washing. I completely rebuilt the dryer 2 years ago. I just completely rebuild my washer last weekend after the wife said it was leaking on the floor. New water pumps are the only thing it has had in the past. I discovered that it was just completely worn out this time. Most people would have tossed it, I suppose. After reading all the reviews of the problems people were having with the new units, I was scared straight of the thought of purchasing a new set. I was pleasantly surprised to find that all of the parts I needed for a complete rebuild were available. I dumped $400 into it last weekend and removed all the limescale build up on all of the components (we have really hard water). Like the above post mentioned, they are soooo easy to work on. Total control of how I wash. No modules to fry on the next electrical blackout. Even if I got another 15 years of life out of it, I'll be happy.

With my dishwasher, I find myself in a different game to play. It is the second Bosch I have owned in the past 5 years. They continue to break. Always a headache. I even bought the Lowe's extended warranty - you might as well burn your money then to purchase one and try to get them to make good on it...

• rpsinfoman
    7 years ago

I second the Bosch. Extremely unreliable and cheaply made. Been there done that. Had two of replaced under extended warranty in less than 5 years.

• rpsinfoman
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

@holly if your LG,s won't handle your bedding which is difficult to believe, no top loader will either. New or old. The capacity simply is not large enough with a center agitator. Any FL with 4.0 or greater capacity will easily handle large volumes of bedding. Easy peez! Is your current machine an HE TL?

• jkjjj12
    6 years ago

I have had LG HE machine for the past 10 years or so. It has it's advantages and disadvantages, but the one disadvantage that really gets me is constantly having to address the bad smell that seems to be ever present. We have tried a variety of methods to clean the washer with varying success. We have even dissembled it so we could clean it more thoroughly by hand. We always leave the door open so it will dry out and not build up mildew. Currently we are using white vinegar with each load which does work but the clothes now have a slight vinegar smell when they are done. Why does it smell when the old washers did not? Why do my clothes not smell fresh after being washed unless I use soap and something else? Why should I have to put up with smell mitigation at all? This is a WASHER for crying out loud it sole purpose is to clean! Does the smell indicate that my clothes are not getting clean? It makes sense to me. Less water = Less clean. If your were to take a shower with less water today than you do regularly would you be less clean? Please know I have kept this washer because I do enjoy the saving it gives me in water and electricity. However, my patience it wearing thin with this problem. I'm currently leaning towards going to a second hand store and picking up an older washer. I guess the bottom line for me is not the savings. Its having something that will work. Something that actually clean your clothes!

• hcbm
    6 years ago

@jkjjj12, the top loader HE machines don't get much love here. Life is too short to be frustrated for 10 years over poor cleaning. And yes, if you can still smell the vinegar it is not rinsed out. I wonder how much vinegar you are using because it would have to be a lot to do anything to the washer. I wouldn't let any perceived "energy savings" stop you from getting a second hand machine. My older compact front loader broke (it has been fixed) and I immediately went out and bought a used replacement. Currently my friend is using my original machine and I am using my $150 replacement machine. If I ever really have to buy a brand new machine it will be a Miele. However I doubt I will ever buy new. Hope you find a machine that washes well without issues.

• sparky823
    6 years ago

Jk12 I was thinking your LG is a front load instead of a top load.? Try using powdered detergent and see if it helps the smell.

• Joe Joe
    6 years ago

jkjjj12 it's because the EPA went rogue many decades ago. They are trying to take down America with lies.

• Annette Arbel
    6 years ago

It is so sad that the government has to medle in how we can do our laundry! My niece is my assistant and I asked her to do some research and find a new washer. We bought the only one she could find that still offers a warm rinse. When the GE HE top load was delivered I couldn't believe my eyes the first time I used it. I could add extra water, but only when the machine decided to let me. The spin permanently wrinkled by sheets. That was enough to send me to the computer where I discovered the truth about washers and dryers today. Freedom is becoming a relic of the past in this country, and the compliant snowflakes under 30 have no idea what they are missing.

HERE'S MY QUESTION...ALL I WANT TO DO IS STOP SPENDING TIME READING ABOUT THESE LOSER WASHERS AND BUY ONE THAT'S WORTH BUYING! WHAT IS THE QUICKEST WAY FOR ME TO FIND ONE THAT WON'T GIVE ME TROUBLE AND ONGOING LOST TIME AND MONEY TRYING TO KEEP IT WORKING? I don't know how to rebuild it myself and repair visits are very expensive. I am willing to spend up to $800 or so now, but I just don't want problems down the road. I am 67 YO and my time is too valuable to be waiting for repair people to show up and dealing with unfinished loads of laundry. Please help with your workable direction. Thank you!

• FeatherBee
    6 years ago

Annette Arbel - I feel your pain. I bought a TL LG washer and it's the biggest pile of crap. The thing that annoys me most is the quickest cycle doesn't allow me to choose hot water. THIS DRIVES ME NUTS. Oh, and I get constant UE errors which require me to manually move the clothes around (mid wash).

I'm looking into Speed Queen next. American made.

• Joe Joe
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Annette and Featherbee. I don't even know where to start. But I want to thank you for confirming what I knew for decades. Appliances like cars are being made ON PURPOSE to break prematurely and restrict performance that we all used to enjoy. Built in obsolescence and the wacko leftists EPA that needs to be moth balled as a Dept.

I just had another personal experience with quality last week. My mother had a toaster made by GE in 1961 and it finally broke last year. She did NOT tell me she threw it out and bought a new one until it was too late. I might have been able to repair it. YES it had asbestos insulating plates inside, BUT they were not cracking or falling apart. They were perfectly intact. Asbestos is only harmful when crushed into powder and inhaled. Anyway the new toaster just crapped out a little over a year of use. Tell me how is it possible that a GE from 1961 lasted 50 years and could have lasted more with new toasters lasting just a year?

What I suggest you do Annette is either of these suggestions: Buy a new washer that is ANALOG and simple. Just basic controls and NO DIGITAL display!

OR try to find a USED appliance store. You might be able to purchase a working old machine from the 90's and prior. I would never buy any appliance made after the 90's. I prefer the 80's and prior. I am going to try and buy my mother a toaster from the 70's or 60's.

If more people do this, it will SAVE the old appliances from the scrap yard and give superior service, besides sending a message to the big corps. to MAKE PRODUCTS that WORK & LAST !

America must start saving our history again in the form of machines because as time goes on, I fear there will be no more buy it once for a lifetime. Just disposable junk that works for a month.

• Frank Howe
    3 years ago

Hi. Yes keep it. Let me tell you. I had a old filter flow washer from Ge when they were good. Lasted me 28 years. Gave it to my young cousin. Bought a new ge that lasted 3 years. Awfull. Had to rinse clothes over n over. Then the tub cracked. Flooded my home. Bought a lg fron loader. Awfull. Lasted 4 years. Mother board went. Not went and bought a reconditioned Ge filter flow washer n dryer. There amazing. New ones are terrible.

• HU-632232576
    3 years ago

I absolutely hate my new "energy efficient" washer & dryer. It does NOT clean as well, I have a large top loader and the clothes get super tangled with things like pants legs, long sleeve shirts, anything with strings, etc. I have ruined several sweaters in this thing. Also you cannot start a load and hold it. If you hold it, the water all drains out. So, you cannot soak clothes for very long or start a load and then put the clothes in so you cannot dye anything in it. The dryer NEVER completely dries anything ulnless you put it on the hot timed setting. Things like sock tops and waistbands never get dry. If you put them on timed setting, the elastic in those things don't last long. I hate these machines. I probably would rather have a wringer washer than this thing but we bought them so now I'm stuck with them. I do a double rinse and sometimes a double wash to get things clean. Energy efficient??? Doesn't look like it to me.

• fordtech
    3 years ago

Rebuilt my Neptune 7500 set 5 years ago ground up. Still going strong and will probably 10 more years. They will be 25+ years old by then.

• dadoes
    3 years ago

I serviced my neighbor's Neptune-match dryer in June 2020, manufacture date Nov 2000 per serial number. New drum rollers, belt & idler, shroud seal, blew out the lint accumulation. It oughta last another 20 years (if the control board or button panel doesn't fail and go unobtanium).

June 2018 I rebuilt (tub support and all new bearings, spin clutch & brake, transmission opened & serviced) a 1999 Kenmore toploader that my mother had been using for 6 years after I'd previously done some minimal refurb on it. Swapped in another spare machine to mom. Tried to sell the Kenmore, no interest so am keeping it for future need.

• fordtech
    3 years ago

Cant believe you couldnt sell the Kenmore. People just dont know what they are missing. I see the old maytag top loaders like I had in the 80s selling cheap around here. Just dont have the room to store them or I would grab a set. Those old helical drive transmissions were near bullet proof

• Laundry Mich
    3 years ago

@dadoes, is there any way I could reach out to you? I am deeply considering purchasing a Whirlpool Direct Drive machine and storing it long term. More specifically, I am considering a "Kenmore Elite 80 Series" machine, that looks to be in excellent condition, and hardly used.

But I want to know a little more. Like, what goes wrong most on these machines? Maybe parts, that would be worth buying and holding onto? Should I steer clear, and purchase/look for something else instead?

Thanks,

M

• armjim
    3 years ago

dadoes my parents still have their Neptune dryer that is going on 20 years old. So far, not one repair. Of all the dryers I have used in my lifetime, and there are many, this one by far is my favorite. I see myself one day shipping it from VA to TX to use.