Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
onmiown3

Does ANY Washer last 10+ years now??

onmiown3
13 years ago

Hi all,

Between 2001 and 2007, I went through 2 washers. Both died of leaking bearings that took a lot of clothes with them (grease stains that set in the dryer) each time. They were a Maytag and a Whirlpool models respectively and this was pre-merger of the two companies.

Then, I bought a house in 2008 with a 10-14 year old Kenmore installed in its laundry room. This workhorse survived two messy young kids, and our two dogs for the last 2 1/2 years. After the last couple of loads, I realized we were getting grease stains from bearing issues.

I am LOATHE to replace this device. I don't blame the washer for failing. It survived the last family (who also had kids and a dog) plus my own. It was mostly metal parts and I loved it. I am just sick of washers failing.

So, is there any washer out there where I will not be giving it a shifty eye 3-4-5 years from now?

Thanks!

Kim

Comments (122)

• chisue
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

The Maytag washer/dryer combo in our Maui condo is 14 years old and has had two repairs -- timer and lid lock. It's plate says it was made in Iowa! I plan to keep it *forever*.

I bought my first Maytag set second hand in 1971 for $350. I gave it to my DS when I (foolishly) replaced the set with new Whirlpools in about 1992. He used the Maytags for another ten years -- so, about 30 years for that set.

I bought a pair of bottom-of-the-line Frigidaires in 2001; my first FL washer. I figured I could replace the washer three times and still be ahead of a Samsung, LG, etc. The washer did fail after three years -- a house-sitter overloaded it. I'm now on same model Washer #2 and the original gas dryer. Both working fine. Two adults here; maybe four loads a week. I am still 'money ahead' over having bought one of the heavily advertised brands with a dozen settings I'd never use.

MANY people use too much detergent. The soap build up convinces them they need softeners, when what they need is to get the excess soap out!

My FL gets less than 1/4 cup of Tide Free powder plus 1/4 cup of white vinegar in the 'softener' compartment. (WHY would you add back goop -- softener -- after you've washed goop out of your clothes?) My towels come out of the dryer soft.

You can do a test: Run a load of towels with NO soap. If you see suds...you're using too much soap and/or it's not getting rinsed out.

When we get out to our condo, one of the first things I do is to run all the towels through the washer with 1/4 cup of vinegar -- because guests and maids USE TOO MUCH SOAP. Those non-absorbent 'boards' are magically transformed back into fluffy towels.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Many here use LFS because we like either the softness it gives or the scent or both. I believe FS has a place in the laundry room, and if used in limited amounts can give lovely results. I do not believe however it should be used in place of good rinsing habits nor do I think any of the FS users here do that. The members here are far too educated to think FS will rinse detergent out of clothing. I also don't believe any of the regular members here over dose with their detergent.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

But I will say over dosing of detergent will damage a machine..under dosing will also cause damage.

• TLC Dream
    8 years ago

I am so thankful to find this article! DH and I were unable to purchase a set after the home purchase and now I know why, He's ☝got a plan for us! Thanks for the info. Saves big bucks. The rental we had, SUPER old machines. Worked AMAZING. So wanted to take them with us. wish I had a photo of 'em!

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Most people like their new modern machines, I like the old ones, which is why I bought a Speed Queen top loader, its as close to old school as one can get now days.

• Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    8 years ago

That's what I'll be getting next too, Pink. Hope we can wait 'til next year.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Pat, your getting a Speed Queen...well I think you will love it. Is your washer having problems?

• cupofkindnessgw
    8 years ago

My wife uses her Whirlpool top load that is 25 years old. It was ten years old when we bought out condo 15 years ago. There have never been any repairs necessary on it yet. Probably 1 or 2 full loads of wash are done weekly. I think we should replace it based on the fact that it is 25 years old. My wife disagrees and wants to keep it as long as it runs.

What do you think?

Never let them go! They are worth repairing for as long as you can buy the parts.

We have a pair of nearly 25 year old Whirlpool Gold machines. I have lots of kids, so over the years we have probably done at least 10 loads a week. So that's about 500 loads per year, or 12,500 loads of laundry since we purchased them. We've worn out just about every part in the washer except the knobs, panel, the tub, and the actual metal cabinet that is the machine case. We buy parts, sometimes inexpensive, and sometimes over $100, and repair it ourselves. The dryer has been easier to maintain, and we air dry about 25% of our laundry which helps extend the life of that machine. I was at a thrift store and a comparable old Whirlpool washer had just sold for about $50! I would have purchased it, just for parts had I seen it first. I never, ever want these Whirlpools to die. They are my BFFs, and I'm so glad that we spent a little more in 1991-ish to get these large capacity Whirlpool Gold machines. If I ever have to replace them, it will probably be with a pair of Speed Queens.

Hang on to them forever. You are fortunate to have them. My grandmother's washer lasted for 40+ years. No computers, just metal construction that resulted in clean laundry and no breakdowns. When you take these older washers apart, it is remarkable how simple a machine it really is.

• savannah nash
    8 years ago

I enjoyed reading through this. I sold a house and left the appliances that came with the house GE (2000) nothing fancy or top of the line from the builder when house was built. But they were all going strong, the dishwasher, fridge, stove, and w/d... I grew up with Maytag, and when I married I got my grandparents very used set, and they lasted years. I sold them in the classifieds STILL working fine in the 90's. So talk about longevity, worn gauges but still going strong. I bought a whirlpool washer 12/15...it is now 2/16 and the thing sounds funny. It has barely been used, top loading, low water, can't get clothes clean at all LOUSY washer, that I plan to leave in this rental home when my other home is finished being built. But I know NOT to buy new appliances after that unfortunate WASTE of money. I went and spoke with the used appliance dealer here and he has all these NEW washers dropped off because people HATE them. They don't clean, they don't work, the warranties are USELESS. I signed up on a waiting list for a refurbished older model maytag set, because I know it will work LONGER than the over priced badly built trash the appliance stores are offering. I don't care about bells, whistles or digital garbage, I want a washer that CLEANS my clothes, DUH. We get crap in America because we don't speak up or boycott crap. I try my best to buy locally, I try hard to buy made in America, and not stuff from China. Have you tried to buy a toaster that toasts lately. The technology hasn't changed in years but try to get one that lasts more than 6 mths. I finally went to a garage sale and got an old one and it hasn't caught on fire and didn't cost an arm and a leg. The ones from china all fried making basic toast, not bagels or pizza, just bread. And don't even get me started on brands like Kitchenaid producing crap stuff and charging bucks for it. We have NO pride or value in anything manufactured lately...ugh.

• chaos_mom
    8 years ago

Here is a piece of information to consider when buying your washing machines: Many of today's appliances come with computer chips that were made using minerals purchased from the Democratic Republic of Congo where the money from these minerals have fueled a civil war resulting in the rapes of hundreds of thousands of women and children; it has resulted in the recruitment of thousands of child soldiers who are given cocaine and other drugs to keep them at a fighting edge; the death count from these two civil wars are greater than the number of people killed worldwide in WWII but we still keep making our purchases because of the nifty "bells and whistles," the reduced cost, and the ease of purchasing without researching where these companies get their minerals from, whether their supply chain is closely monitored, and whether or not they feel it is important to do their bid to be responsible and not add further to the cost to humanity in these areas. There is a website that reviews [some of] these companies: LG is one of the absolute worst, Samsung is little better. Unfortunately smaller companies like Mayfair or Whirlpool aren't rated and you have to do your own detective work, but really, it's worth it, (at least to me), when one considers how many lives are on the line as a result of my choices!

• practigal
    8 years ago

Dear Chaos Mom,

It is men who choose to abuse their fellow men, women and children. God and money are just excuses. You would be surprised at how many people are keenly aware of the problems our being alive creates on the world's limited resources. If you want to talk politics, religion or causes, please take it to another forum.

• TLC Dream
    8 years ago
    I didn't see her mention God. I will. We do, nonetheless, live in a fallen world. He Is Risen, Risen Indeed. Happy Easter y'all!

We just purchased the Speed Queen set. it's wonderful! The only thing I forgot to do though was remember to consider the drum cubic size. smaller but affordable. Quality amazing and we did not get the Digital deal. Front loaders are seriously overrated.
  • beaglenc
    8 years ago

Amen! TLC

• dadoes
    8 years ago

A friend has a 12-years-old Kenmore HE3 frontloader (sibling to Whirlpool's Duet). I checked the serial number to confirm the age. She's involved in fostering rescue dogs so uses her laundry machines heavily. Currently has 24 dogs including the resident pack and the fosters. Anyway, her 12-years-old frontloader has had one repair, approx 3 years ago, replacement of the pump (which was done by me).

• rpsinfoman
    8 years ago

Short answer, NO. It's called planned obsolescence. No company these days makes money (bottom line) designing a product that last 20 years. Those days are well behind us. That also includes Miele because when they do need repair, it's god aweful expensive, so the natural inclination is to replace.

• deeageaux
    8 years ago

Yes, planned obsolescence is a new phenomena. In the 80's back to the 1920's American and European businessmen were not greedy so they made things to last. They sold appliances as a public service. I currently have 3 appliances over 12 years old. They are all one off outliers. My grandparents have were saying "they don't make them like they used to" since the Kennedy Administration.

• dadoes
    8 years ago

"I currently have 3 appliances over 12 years old."

I have 10 appliances 12 years and older in daily use. One is 18+ years. Two are 16+.

• flojeffcoffey
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I bought a Kenmore washer in May 93, we still use it today

• rpsinfoman
    7 years ago

Nothing new today will last that long without some sort of repair.

• msellenl
    7 years ago

Speed Queen. They are built to last. In fact, Speed Queen is primarily a maker of commercial washing machines. They only make a few residential models. It stands to reason that they know how to make washers last. My Speed Queen came with a 3 year warranty for parts and labor, which is longer than most new washers. I expect it to last a lot longer than that!

• John 9a
    7 years ago

I have been using a Maytag Neptune front loader now for about 13 years with zero problems. I only do about two loads a week so my use is light but I think it's age more than use that causes failures...things like rubber and plastic parts becoming dry and brittle.

• Chris
    7 years ago

I know this thread is old but today marks 10 years with Whirlpool duet I got in 2007. It has held up great and I still love it! It is a little louder than it used to be but it still cleans and works great and believe me we are very hard on it and do several loads a day! I hope to continue to get another couple years with it atleast!

• dadoes
    7 years ago

I did some minor repairs last month on a friend's 14-years-old Kenmore HE3t frontloader pair.
    Dryer: replace temperature thermistor, replace cracked door handle, clean/lube drum rollers.
    Washer: replace drippy water valve.

• mark40511
    7 years ago

Hey Dadoes!!

Anyway - about the planned obsolescence thing - Back in 2005, when I got my Duet, I frequented this forum and I also signed up for automaticwasher.org around that time. Even WAY back then, people were saying the same things - I will be lucky if my machine lasts 5 years, etc. I'm sure by 2005, planned obsolescence was in full swing. I've certainly gotten my money's worth out of my duet now approaching 12 yrs old and still working. It had one repair the 2nd year......the duet dryer has never had a repair .....(knock on wood). My next purchase will be a FL maytag or duet. I think longevity has a LOT to do with the chemicals you use in your machine and the water temp and laundry habits and probably the quality of your water as well.....not using too little or too much detergent, bleach, fab softener. But it would not surprise me that a Duet or Maytag made today is probably not as good as mine made in 2005 - But I just remember having the same type of conversations back in 2005 about how things aren't made the way they used to be. It's like over a decade later, nothing has changed in that aspect.

• mor_kor34
    7 years ago

My wife and I bought our condo in 2000 and it had an old Maytag washing machine (top load) and an old Fridgidaire gas dryer. We are still using both of these units and have not yet had to make any repairs on them during the 17 years we have used them. The Maytag washer is 31 years old this year (2017) and the Fridgidaire gas dryer is 2 or 3 years younger. This may be some kind of longevity record. My wife is fussy about using 1 cup of powder premium detergent (we have hard water here in Palm Springs, CA) and also never overload the washing machine. We do about 1 to 2 loads of wash a week. We think that when either of these units needs a major repair we will consider replacing it with a new one. I see Maytag new washing machines currently have a 10 year warranty on the motor. I wonder how good they are? We think we should keep using what we have as long as it is running and doing a good job in spite of the age of the units.

• gardenerlorisc_ia
    7 years ago

I did not read all the comments but I bought my house back in 2012 and it had the same washer in it as the one I had bought when my son was born in 1989 and it is still working like a charm. I got rid of the old one I had when he was born to buy a new set in about 2008 and was so disappointed in the quality of the replacement. I am babying this one since they were much more built to last than they are now. It is a Maytag.

• practigal
    7 years ago

Its longevity remains to be seen but the compact Electrolux washer that I purchased a couple of years ago has been doing fabulously so far and the build quality is every bit as impressive to me as the Miele.

I know that had I had a separate laundry room (the laundry is in my kitchen and I really needed counterspace in the kitchen) I would have kept the old Maytag which I am certain is still going strong repair-free somewhere.

• thtcheng
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

@mor_kor34 - Your experience is not so unusual, thought it's better than mine. :)

Our Maytag LSG1000 washer/dryer combo came with the house which we bought in 1998. The washer started overflowing on and off again a few weeks ago. A little more than 1 year ago, we paid like $200 to replace the water pressure switch to fix a problem with the same symptom. I know the machine is super old, but I don't want to go out to buy a brand new set for $1500 which will last only 10 or so years. We had bad experience on a Kenmore fridge bought around 1999. The compressor died after only 7 years. This time, instead of calling the repairman, I opened the front of the washer and found the tube between the tub and water pressure switch is leaking water. I've made sure that replacing the tube will fix the problem. The replacement part has been ordered and I am waiting for its arrival.

I googled around last night and found out my set of LSG1000 was made in January of 1986. It's about the same time when the house was built. That's 31 years ago. We've had problems every now and then and spent like $1000 in the past 19 or so years to fix the problems on both the dryer and the washer. But it's generally in a good shape given its age.

This 31-year-old washer/dryer combo has a soft-touch control panel and very easy to use. This is another example that machines made back then were not only technologically advanced but also super durable. I expect it will break again maybe in the next 2 weeks or another 5 years. We'll see.

• admiralnahohkta
    6 years ago

There are still plenty of older washer/dryer combos floating around craigslist, and mom & pop repair shops. Buy one that is 20+ years old and expect another 20+ years with some cheap maintenance here and there. Remember most parts are standardized, and very inexpensive on ebay. You tube is your friend if you are do-it-yourselfer.

My 1993 Lady Kenmore Model 110's still work like the day I bought them from Sears. Over the years I've fixed a few small failed parts here and there, but I've spent less than $100 in parts. I've never called a service technician, because they are simple and easy to fix. Just google what is going wrong, and watch the youtube video of how to fix it. They have survived four cross country moves, raised 4 boys, and two marriages. They don't ruin cloths, and have some nice features even for older machines. I expect they will last another 25 years.

If you look around you can still find older sets like these. And even if they are not in working condition, the repairs are worth the extra effort. Ask around and find that older guy that collects and repairs machines out in the stix. He'll have what you need.

• dadoes
    6 years ago

There are many circa 1990s (and some earlier) to early 2000s Whirlpool and Kenmore "direct-drive" washers on CraigsList and at resale shops. KitchenAid (not as common), Roper, and Estate fall into the same class. Mechanical parts are still available for a DIYer to fully refurb one with new bearings and other drive parts. Whirlpool is still producing some stacksets using the old design, although it was discontinued for standard standalone toploaders about 10 years ago.

I recently refurbed this machine, which dates to 2003.

• thtcheng
    6 years ago

Follow-up to my post on the 31-yo Maytag LSG1000 from a week ago. I received the replacement parts of the tube between the tub and the pressure switch. I also found the the water valve is working/not working intermittently and a leak on the tube from the bleach reservoir to the tub. So, I bought both parts from a local appliance parts store. On the two replacement tubes, they are not made the same as 31 years ago. The old tubes are about double the thickness of the new ones. I don't expect the new tubes to last another 30 years for sure. By the same token, I bet these are the same parts used in the new washers made these days. I don't really have great confidence on the machines made these days. What's the point of buying the brand new ones?

By now I am very familiar with my 31-yo set and know how to take it apart and put things back. Great learning experience and kind of fun. Also save good amount of money.

• MCG G910
    6 years ago

My LG front loader and dryer are 10 years old. Knock on wood! We haven't hard a single service call and I probably average 3 loads/day.

• lascatx
    6 years ago

My LG front loader pair were manufactured in 07 so we are coming up on 10 years too. I did have a "service" call, but it was shortly after delivery to address something that was poking and I was afraid was going to mess up the lint screen. The guy fixed the issue (something simple like quarter turn of a screw or putting in a shorter screw -- don't remember exactly now that it ws over 9 years ago). He even gave us a new lint screen so we'd have a replacement if/when needed. We've never been a day without use of them both. I only wissh I'd bought them sooner.

• Nancy Keith
    6 years ago

I have had a Maytag front loader for 11 years. It just recently had a problem. The pump motor was acting up. My husband turned the motor and it’s working good again. I think I’m going to look at new models. 10 years is about the lifespan.

• dadoes
    6 years ago

Nancy Keith,

The lifespan is for however long 1) parts are available + 2) the consumer opts to have repairs done. Friends have Kenmore HE3 frontloaders that are 14 and 15 years. Repairs of which I'm aware (because I did them) are pump replacement on one and and water valve on the other.

• artdecosoul
    5 years ago

There are some very knowledgeable people here. My LG died because the pot metal bolted to the underside of the stainless steel tub rotted away. On You Tube i saw that Samsung uses the same thing. Does anyone know if Whirlpool, GE or Electrolux does? Or another under $800?

• dadoes
    5 years ago

ArtDecoSoul, with perhaps a very few exceptions (I don't know any specifics, maybe European brands?) frontloaders all have cast-aluminum drum supports (aka spiders). Longer service life typically can be had by 1) avoiding cold water washes; 2) avoiding liquid fabric softener; 3) using a proper dose of detergent to ward-off accumulation of greasy soils that hold moisture; and 4) regular use of chlorine bleach (unless a particular machine manufacturer forbids it).

• artdecosoul
    5 years ago

Great advice, thanks. The HE detergent recommendations are less than half of the regular detergent. Should I use slightly more?

• Jerrod
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

My Miele washer was 15 years old this past January. In these years I have replaced one part which was the cold water valve which was clogged up do to the hardness of the incoming water. I am very happy with it. I alternate between liquid and powder Persil detergents and use less than the printed suggestions on the containers. No mold or musty smells.

• jseeley
    5 years ago

I bought a Bosch Axxis Plus set in 2010 and it's still going strong. Also I hear the 2017 or earlier Speed Queen top loaders are built to last. My Mom managed to find a new 2017 model this year. I hear the 2018 Speed Queens are engineered differently which a lot of people don't like. And of course Mieles if you can afford one. I really think that to make a washer last long these days, you really have to take care of it, don't overload it, and baby it a bit by not washing rugs and heavy things. Save those things for a launderette.

• HU-543514487
    5 years ago

We bought a Whirpool. a couple years ago. Thinking it was such a good brand name and the washer said it was garentee. for 10 years. After only 2 years. it broke down. I called a repairman. and they didn't even have to come in to diagnose the problem. They said washing machines are all pretty much made to break down. and the parts that need to be replaced. of coursed wasn't covered in the 10 yr. e. Because we have such a tight space he would have charged us more. to fix it. and $115. just to come to our house. and tell us that we would be better off buying a new one; And the dryer we bought also, doesn't work. I have to put our clothes in the dryer 2 to 3 times on the highest setting to get dry. They make really crap these days.

• venmar
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

HU543---487, re you needing 2-3 dry cycles to dry your clothing, you may need to have the dryer exhaust vent piping cleaned/blown out and also try cleaning the lint filter under hot running water. I have cleaned out dryer vents using an electric leaf blower for the same problem at a friend's home and mother-in-laws. You do have to pull out dryer and disconnect from venting and also clear any clogs of lint at the outside vent cap.

• dadoes
    5 years ago

No manufacturer would purposely market a dryer that takes running a cycle "2 or 3 times" to sufficiently dry the load.

Overwhelming majority of times when this problem manifests is obstructed exhaust ducting.

One of the two primary requirements for proper function of a clothes dryer is AIRFLOW. It can heat to the edge of fire and the clothes won't dry worth a flip if there's no AIRFLOW to move the moisture out.

• Kim 3
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Hi it's the original poster here 10 years later!

We ended up going with the Bosch Vision 500 and it lasted 10 years without needing a repair. This week the water pump on it has malfunctioned and unfortunately the part is on backorder with no ETA. Also Bosch has started to discontinue parts for the 500 Vision series as they discontinued the line.

Bottom line, I loved my full size Bosch and I'm sure it would last many more years if we could get our hands on the part. Alas, with two dogs and two teenage boys we most likely will replace the unit rather than having to wait an indefinite amount of time for the pump as we need to wash things!

So to answer my own question, 'Does any washer last 10 plus years" the answer is Bosch.

Kim aka Onmiown3

• dadoes
    2 years ago

Good for you, except for scarcity of the replacement pump. Did you check eBay for new or used pumps?

The Fisher & Paykel toploader that I bought in 1999 carried on for 22 years until it went dead a few months ago, apparently due to a water leak of some ilk that zapped the controller board. My nephew had been using it for several years after it had passed through two other family members after myself, with one repair in 2011 (pump replacement). They live 2-1/4 hrs away and have a new baby so it wasn't a viable scenario for me to investigate it. They bought a used LG, a couple years old from someone who was moving and couldn't take it along.

Anyway, appliance longevity statistics are a moving target. A machine that went for 10 years until a failure today was bought 10 years ago so is not as much relevant to expectations for one bought new next week.

• admiralnahohkta
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

dadoes,

How bad was the control board fried? I've fixed mine a few times by just a good toothbrush cleaning to get the corrosion and dust off. Another thing to note on control boards: if you have a micro-relay failure, don't write it off. Soldering off those tiny relays is a pain, but they usually come back to life if you tap them a few times to knock off the carbon built up on the contacts.

• Daniel Bliss
    2 years ago

Yes, my LG washer-dryer combo (WM3431HS) has gone 16 years, 15 of them with renters under the previous owner. Currently showing evidence of a control board problem (does not seem to want to do a cold wash), slightly overheating on the dry cycle, and a squeak that suggests to me the motor needs a service, as well as clear rust inside internal ductwork and more internal ductwork that needs to be serviced and cleaned. Parts appear to be available but I think the total cost of all of this will be a lot, so I am looking for a new unit.

• covingtoncat
    2 years ago

My Miele W1213 (W) and T 1413 (D) developed a bottom leak last week. I checked the drain and pulled out a small ball of hair and it seems to have fixed it (at least for now). It got me thinking that I might need to investigate a replacement. I no longer live in a large metro area and finding service isn't as easy now. Apparently Miele no longer has vented dryers available in the US? At least that's what I was told by a sales person at the one place I could find locally who sells them. So my next thought was Speed Queen. Also a shortage of those due to supply issues. I've ordered a TR7 washer and matching dryer but will have to wait till they are back to filling orders and pray my Miele keeps on keeping on. Anything else come to mind ? I didn't want to go with the classic clean SQ because I need the options for fine fabrics such as wool and silks.

• SEA SEA
    2 years ago

covingtoncat,

I have the generation before the TR7 Speed Queen washer. 5+ years now. Good washer, if not a bit too rough on spouse's dress clothes. Have to send dress shirts to the cleaners these day to spare them. iirc, the TR7 is a more gentle wash action than my AWN model.

I'm not sure how you would feel about going to a SQ TR7 after having a Miele for so long though. They are vastly different kinds of washing machines. I'm sure you've given it lots of thought and watched some videos on Youtube.

Have a peek at LG FL washers too before you make the sale final. They are said to be good washers and rinsers. They have a sanitize cycle too, along with 'very warm', whatever that may mean in today's new appliance-speak. I would hope 'very warm' means at least tap hot temps. Maybe an LG owner could verify if 'very warm' option would give you true tap hot.

• jejvtr
    2 years ago

My Miele is nearly 16 years old - Still performing strong - Never serviced - SHHHH