Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does ANY Washer last 10+ years now??

Posted by onmiown3 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 23, 11 at 23:21

Hi all,

Between 2001 and 2007, I went through 2 washers. Both died of leaking bearings that took a lot of clothes with them (grease stains that set in the dryer) each time. They were a Maytag and a Whirlpool models respectively and this was pre-merger of the two companies.

Then, I bought a house in 2008 with a 10-14 year old Kenmore installed in its laundry room. This workhorse survived two messy young kids, and our two dogs for the last 2 1/2 years. After the last couple of loads, I realized we were getting grease stains from bearing issues.

I am LOATHE to replace this device. I don't blame the washer for failing. It survived the last family (who also had kids and a dog) plus my own. It was mostly metal parts and I loved it. I am just sick of washers failing.

So, is there any washer out there where I will not be giving it a shifty eye 3-4-5 years from now?

Thanks!
Kim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does ANY Washer last 10+ years now??

From what I have read here, Miele and Speen Queen's are built with longevity in mind.

o

From what I have read here, Miele and Speen Queen's

I think you are looking at 20+ years for those machines.

Bosch about ten.

LG is now giving you a 10 year warranty on their direct drive motors. Kinda like when Hyundai turned around their quality problem.

*** As with any mechanical durable good you can get a Lemon.

o

I wonder if those of us who've enjoyed the same washer for so many years could buy a machine as good now. Anywho, I have a 10 year old Miele here in my apartment in Manhattan. I haven't had to make a single maintenance call the entire time. My mom out in Laguna has had a Miele in her home for even longer. Those experiences compelled me to buy one last year for the weekend house. I realize I might be an extreme case of loyalty at this point because of it. :)

o

My family in Germany & Sweden have used Miele units for 15-20 years. They are generally VERY durable and long lasting!!

o

You knew the Miele "lovers" would post about Miele :)

I have a 10 year old Frigidaire machine that is just now going. I have never had a service call for it. It probably cost one quarter of the Miele cost.

Sure Miele are durable and long lasting but they are also prohibitively expensive for many. Let's assume someone cannot afford a Miele - are they destined to spend money on inferior products that won't clean their clothes or last them 10 years? I'm sure there are many "lesser" machines that will last 10 years and clean laundry.

There will always be lemons and you have no way of knowing if you'll get one or not.

I'm actually annoyed by this "fear" that if I don't buy Miele ... heaven knows what I'll end up with or how long it will last ... I blame Miele and the marketing machine ;)

o

I have a friend who has a MAYTAG that is over 27 yrs old, about the time she bought the house & it is still going strong. Now only thinking about a new machine so she could be more "environmental" friendly.

My 1 yr old Frigidaire Affinity washer & dryer cost me $1300. Read that a Miele set of the T4xxx larger model can hit $6000 which is over 4 times more expensive.

Even if my Frigidaire will last 5 yr, probably longer, & need to replace every 5 yrs, I'm still ahead in 20 yrs.

o

Any machine that's 10 years old now was bought 10 years ago ... so the age experience won't necessarily follow with a machine that's purchased today.

o

dadoes, so what are you saying? Are there machines that would/should last 1o years made now?

o

I'm saying, for example, that the experience of my parents' KitchenAid (Whirlpool direct-drive) machine that has been running for 16 years with a few minor repairs does not mean that a Whirlpool direct-drive washer bought last year will have the same usage experience. My Fisher & Paykel GWL08 purchased in July 1999 that has been running for 11+ years with no repairs doesn't necessarily mean that a new F&P machine bought today will have the same longevity statistics. Ten years is a long time in terms of manufacturing standards, differences in materials quality over a period of economic change.

I would hazard to say that ANY machine bought today should last for 10 years when used with care, but individual usage and laundry habits have a large effect. A family of six running 12 to 15 loads per week is going to wear-down any machine much faster than a single person washing 2 loads weekly.

o

Thanks for the advice everyone. Miele is a litte too rich for our blood so we will probably look at Bosch.

Any thoughts on Electrolux?

Dadoes, I totally get what you are saying.

o

livebetter...You cannot blame Miele or their marketing department, or feel hostile. It's just with Miele...you REALLY do get what you pay for! There is NO other brand, from any country, that uses the quality of materials that Miele uses. Miele designs, manufacturers and assembles ALL their own products. EVERY aspect is quality controlled, from start to finish. I'm sure there are some machines (if someone gets lucky) that will provide 10+ years of service. But, Miele is engineered, designed and built like machines were of yesteryear...to last and last!

Take a few minutes and research the quality of he materials Miele insists on still. Where EVERY other brand uses plastics or thin, cheap metals...Miele still uses hard iron and boron steel. The company is still 100% family owned and operated, and they answer to themselves. It's quite amazing and very refreshening for 2011!!!

o

I thought the OP wondered if a 10 year expectation was unrealistic and, maybe, some examples. Dadoes is right. We know that manufacturers have tried to reduce costs. In some cases that means labor, parts and design. There's no question that overall quality control has diminished. B/c of that, it's likely that most machines built in 2011 won't be as reliable as one built even 10 years ago.

In terms of efficacy, that's an individual thing. CR doesn't seem to think an expensive machine is worth the price for the typical buyer. They have a whole list they like.

I realize this is the Internet but my comment wasn't personal (or debatable). I was just offering my experience with a company that provided 10+ years of reliability, but I paid a premium for it. I figure there's enough talk of equity everywhere else. Didn't want to bog down a GW post with the issue of fairness. That's just me.

o

larsi, don't take offence ... I'm not actually "hostile" about it. I'm more annoyed that this is how I'm feeling. "Scared" if I don't pick the Miele, I'll live to regret it ... so silly.

I've never said they are not built the most solid. I believe I just posted else where that I know if I buy the Miele I'm not getting any bells/whistles (like steam) but a well built machine which should last a long time.

Although, don't kid yourself about Marketing.

I happen to be "drawn" to the LGs with their bells/whistles. I think I would enjoy some of their features (ie. steam). And to be honest, I like the way they look/feel - I actually like the lights and sounds they make. Their controls seem to work so smoothly.

I know if I pick LG I'm getting features and larger capacity for a slightly lower price than Miele (WM3885) but probably not getting the longevity/quality. If I pick Miele, I get a solid washing machine with no bells that should last for many years.

I told my husband last night, if all things were equal; Miele and LG washed the same and would last exactly the same, I would pick the LG. Alas that probably is not the case. No one but me can make this decision and I'm finding it a hard call. I'll have to live with these for a very long time.

o

@livebetter...Well, I'm glad you're not hostile :)

I understand what you mean in terms of liking bells and whistles. When it comes to cars...I like to have all the goodies and extras (built in navigation, xenon lights, Head up display, reverse camera, park distance sensors, heated & cooled seats, keyless push to start, etc, etc,,,).

I have just seem my Mom's expensive GE washer, several friends' LG and Samsung washers and for a a few months I even tried a top of the line Electrolux Wave Touch washer and even a very expensive Samsung washer. Both the Electrolux and Samnsung had TONS of bells and whistles, including Steam (which btw, most consumer based review groups all say is total MARKETING RUBBISH...the steam does nothing for the wash). The build quality and materials on the Samsung and Electrolux felt so cheap, flimsy and just "gadgety". Both machines had design flaws and did not work that well. Where the Miele feels like an investment, EVERY other machine I have ever felt or used feels "disposable". Appliances and cars are very, very similar. You get exactly what you pay for. Maybe and LG or Samsung or Electrolux washer will last 10 years! Chances are not likely though, as the internal materials and components were NEVER made to last that long. Miele actually designs and manufacturers parts and components to LAST 20 years. Since I have seen Miele machines in family and friends' homes that are well over 15+ years old...and still working flawlessly, I know that Miele is designed to last long!

If you are truly concerned with longevity, then Miele is the only, true choice. No, you will not get Steam, or blue LED lighting or an LCD display that plays Jingle Bells and shows dancing, animated bubbles...but honestly, why does one want that on a washing machine? I want flawlessly clean clothes, tank like build quality, a company with a history dedicated to longevity and long lasting products and if the need arises for Service, Miele is THE ONLY one that sends their own MIELE techs out.

Ok, off my soap box. I just believe in buying a quality item, that will last. I do not like our "disposable" mentality. Buy the best and get lots of use out of it!! :)

-Larsi

o

Larsi,

In Europe they now have the new Supertronics models, and the washer has SteamCare (translation errors abound):

Steam following functions are available:
"Steam Smoothing", "Refreshing" and "Finish Steam.
The "Steam Smoothing" refers to a desire to immediately after
the cycle, instead of automatically. In the "Refresh" is
dry, not dirty laundry again wonderfully fresh.
"Finish-Steam" used as a separate vapor deposition
wet laundry. This reduces your ironing effort
significantly and achieve proper smoothing results.

o

larsi - you are so funny. You must REALLY love laundry to obsess about it so much. I think Miele should hire you to write an ad. You seem to have lots of free time.

I bought my Whirlpool FL set 4 years ago and it replaced a Kenmore laundry center that was almost 30 years old. It was little, noisy, grungy and beat up the clothes but it still ran the day it was hauled to recycling. My new set has been problem free but I only do 3-4 medium loads a week normally and I don't abuse it. If I get 10 years out of it I will be happy - it cost $1500 with warranties - and by then I will want the latest gizmo.

What I really want is a good dishwasher that doesn't cost $1500. Does anyone know of a good one - besides Miele?

o

Dishwasher: Bosch Evolution 800 series. (Only made in Germany). We have one and it does a really good job. Probably the best you can get without stepping up to Miele. They run in the low $1000 range.

Bosch also now offers a top third tray similar to Miele for silverware.

http://www.bosch-home.com/us/products/dishwashers/dishwashers/visible-controls/list.html

You can do much better on price than what is listed on the website. We got over $300 off and another $500 credit to ship with at the store on the Evolution 800 plus series.

o

Okay, this is just as good a place as any to pose the question: why doesn't anyone here ever mention ASKO?

o

well, I did a bit of research this week... had posted earlier about my fluke lemon of a whirlpool duet which the bearings "died" - at just barely 2 years old. It did get heavy use - young family of 6 - but it wasn't abused and I did follow all the manufacturer recommendations etc.

at the advice of some friends, I went to a local appliance repair/sales shop and had a pretty frank conversation with a technician there. He was of the mindset that the machines were not made to last forever anymore (a 10 yr run was good). (granted, I don't think this shop catered to the miele/expensive crowd). he gave me some advice about calling whirlpool yet again about my out of warranty washer. he also was listing off all of the "different" brands that were now basically whirlpool. about 60% of the appliance population. he sort of talked down samsung and LG - but did advise me to check out their websites and see how many repair shops they recommended to fix their product in my area.

before I left the shop, I browsed the sales floor. yes, he sold a lot of whirlpool (and it's offshoots) products. But he did have a few names in there that were not associated with whirlpool. No samsungs/LG's

after I went home, I called whirlpool. very unfruitful call. not happy with that particular customer service effort on their part. pretty much they offered to pay 50% of the parts for my repair - I'd pay the other 50% and the labor. This is on a 25 month old washer. When I called the repair shop, they did the math for me and I still would be better off buying a new washer vs. fixing the old one!

then I looked up LG's website and checked out who they'd refer me to for service. There was only ONE local service shop in my area. (live between Baltimore and Annapolis, so we're not talking rural!) but the service shop was called "ALL BRANDS." called and talked with their service guy. Verified that he truly serviced all different brands of appliances before I told him the mission on my call.... then asked his opinion of the different brands (in respect to washers). His answer was the same as the first repair guy - all brands WILL have service needs. all brands WILL have the occasional lemon... I tried to get him to give me a "better" brand - and he pretty much said that he sees equal service calls across the board. he put whirlpool/LG/Samsung all about equal.

Since my washer really, truly was dead now and laundry was piling up, I headed over to best buy who was running a special on LG's.... bought one without too many bells/whistles (more things to break, in my opinion)... and then went ahead and got the 5 year service from best buy. they put it on in addition to the 1 year from manufacturer. This way, I figure I just guaranteed myself not having to buy another washer for 6 years. Sad really. I am planning, and betting, on the early demise of my washer.

Perhaps next time a miele. But for that I would want far more research and I was in a time crunch.

o

lawjedi, thanks for posting.

I can tell you from experience, more time is not necessarily a good thing. I have been "beating this horse" to death. I mean over analyzing to the point I'm almost paralyzed to decide.

My machine is failing but not dead yet. I almost wish it were so I'd be forced to decide.

Although, between your post and a story my mom told me this morning, maybe Miele it is ... did I say that out loud?! ;)

Do post a review when you get your machine. I will wait to hear. What model did you get? I've seen them all :)

I really like the look of the LGs. My mom just got a new pair yesterday. She hasn't done a load yet (I would have washed everything I could get my hands on). We are so different.

o

Good grief, a good friend has an Estate washer (IIRC, bottom of Whirlpool's line) that has lasted more than 10 years, and is still trucking right along without a hitch! She and her DH have four kids who are now slowly leaving the nest. Her washer has no bells or whistles at all -- not even bleach or FS dispensers -- but it does wash the clothes, and wash them well. FTR, her DH is an attorney, they had expensive washers before, and she likes this one best.

Really and truly, it seems to me there's no clear rhyme or reason. Seems to be a flip of the coin. JMHO

Which is why I did as much research as possible, then picked out the washer which would best suit my family's needs. It's a Maytag Bravos, and I love it.

o

Mara_2008 writes: "Good grief, a good friend has an Estate washer (IIRC, bottom of Whirlpool's line) that has lasted more than 10 years, and is still trucking right along without a hitch! ... FTR, her DH is an attorney, ..."

Hmm. We have a Frigidaire Galaxy washer that has lasted 16 years (so far) -- we bought it in the spring of 1995 -- and it is still trucking along in continuing household use.

And (coincidentally) I am a lawyer (sometimes -- but not always -- an attorney, depending on the nature of the representation that each client needs, but professionally always a lawyer). Not sure how the professional qualifications relate to the appliance longevity.

Would a 2011 Frigidaire last as long as ours has? Come back in 2026, and we will have data that will tell us.

o
Just this

I said:

FTR, her DH is an attorney, they had expensive washers before, and she likes this one best.

Simply to say -- they can afford the 'best' washers on the market (they've had expensive washers before), yet she likes the Estate washer best. That's all.

o
And ...

Several friends and relatives have owned/now own expensive FL washers which have been huge disappointments. Which is why I said:

Really and truly, it seems to me there's no clear rhyme or reason. Seems to be a flip of the coin. JMHO

o

Hi All,

We went to ABT last night and took a look at various machnies and talked to the sales staff. We ended up buying the Bosch 500 series (model 54000). It will be installed on Friday.

Tow interesting items of note

1) Abt had NOT yet been told by Bosch that they were discontinuing the 27 inch washers, so that took the staff by surprise. I know Abt gets much love on the internet and from Consumer Reports so while they are independent, they aren't exactly "small potatoes". I thought Bosch would have been proactive in sending that info to their major sellers

2) On the topic of LG, Abt is only currently selling two models of their FLs. They told us that LG is having capacity issues in their production line and Abt is only carrying models that they have physically in stock at their Chicago show room.

o

Grats on your purchase! Appreciate the informative follow-up.

o

My new F/P eco BETTER last more than 10 years. One reason I bought it is it's simple technology. I feel I can handle most repairs as well as the repairmen. If I didn't have the warranty, I could fix it faster than calling the repair service.

Too bad they use the old clunky wax motor instead of a solonid.

o

Popster, use a good-quality surge surpressor on your electric outlet with the machine. Be conscious of watching for leaks. Leaking pumps are a fairly common issue and a wet/water-damaged pump can short-out and zap the controller board. As insurance after the warranty period, it's a good idea to look under the machine for quick visual exam on the pump every few months or so, as a very small leak may not be apparent via water on the floor. That being said, I have a GWL08 that's 11 years old still running the original pump, and an IWL12 6+ years.

o

steve_o
Okay, this is just as good a place as any to pose the question: why doesn't anyone here ever mention ASKO?
Miele has an actual presence in the States through their stores, but ASKO is on the esoteric side. We purchased their top-of-the-line dishwasher that is now going on a decade-and-a-half of service. I have not contacted ASKO in a while, but the last time I did it was a less than satisfying endeavor.

They tout their washing machines as follows:

Guaranteed Temperatures • How important is stain removal?
• Exclusive 85°-205° guaranteed temperature
• Cold water fill for effective stain removal
• Programmed cycles for proper temperature management and optimum fabric care
CLAIM: ASKO removes stains without harsh chemicals!

ActiveDrum™ • Would you like for your clothes to last longer?
• Exclusive Active Drum™ cleans better
• Removes sand & dirt better than others
• Protects clothing with exclusive design
• Quattro™ suspension ensures quiet quality
• Stainless Steel inner & outer tubs
CLAIM: ASKO provides unsurpassed fabric care!

SuperRinse™ • Would you like your whites to remain white & your colors bright?
• Exclusive - up to 7 rinses
• Keeps whites whiter and colors bright
• Perfect for allergies & sensitive skin
CLAIM: ASKO cleans completely!

Smart Seal™ • Would eliminating the potential for odors be important to you
• Eliminates odors and water leaks
• Superior to Bellow Seal competitors
• Easier loading and un-loading
• NO dirt transfer to clean fabric from dirty door seal!
CLAIM: The ASKO SmartSeal™ eliminates odors & lasts longer!

Strongest Warranty • How important is a strong warranty?
• 2 Plus 1 warranty = 3 years protection
• Long life tested for quality assurance
• 3 times the warranty of others
• More steel than plastic
CLAIM: ASKO quality construction from top to bottom

o

Yes you can get 10 years usage from your washer. Two familes can purchase the same washer and one of those familes will get almost double service only because their washer is never overloaded. My suggestion is that if you want a washer to last one thing to do is to never overload your washer. Your laundry will wash and rinse much cleaner. Make sure you have time to do laundry so you won't have to have those big mother loads. I would love to hear from you all thanks. Mr See

o

Dadoes,

Thanks for the heads up on the surge protector. It's nice that the machine is so light that it is easy to tilt it to check the pump. Will do.

o

Owning an LG, I figure I can speak about it.

Having a 10-yr warranty on the motor is like having a 10yr powertrain warranty on a car: the AC, brakes, fenders, seats, tires, radiator, lights, etc can all fail and render the car undrivable but the motor can still keep running.

I'm also reminded of a thread that was here some weeks ago where someone had an LG where the bearings failed after 4 years. He dismantled the machine in order to replace the bearings. He found that the machine was constructed in such a way that it was very difficult to get to the bearings and seals to replace them. Basically the whole machine had to be disassembled completely. He also found that LG used a cast-aluminum 'spyder' (Y-shaped piece of metal that holds the inner tub to the axle shaft) inside the machine. Anyone who owns a boat can tell you that when you put aluminum in water with steel the aluminum will immediately start to corrode. In this case, the aluminum spyder had corroded so badly that it took the bearings with it. In 4 years of normal use.

It was not faith-inspiring.

o

Weedmeister - if it wasn't on here, it was definitely on automaticwasher.org - complete with photos of the disassembly....

o

I bought my Asko W/D in 2000 when I got my first real pay check from my job. I think I paid about $2000 to $3000 for the pair. (Not sure about the actual amount.) I am still using the machine. We had 1 dryer repair in that time.

I washed my kids' diapers in 205 degree F. We generally run 5 to 10 loads per week on this machine. I am very happy with this beast. I wish it was bigger.

However, at that time, there were no machines that heated its own water that was larger. My options were 240V Asko, Miele and Bosch only. I got the Asko.

When this machine dies, I will probably replace it with the larger 120V Miele if my kids are still at home. I am absolutely convinced that you need the water heated in the washer.

If the kids are not at home, I will get a 240V Euro machine for just the two of us, either Miele or Asko.

o

I see Maytag offers a ten warranty now, but reviewing the appliance repair blogs the repair guys complain a lot about Maytag. I think the fewer "bells and whistles" the better. My current washer is a 6 year old WP Duet. 3-4 loads per week. I like the older top loading machines, simple WP models, but I think they are being phased out.

o

Have you seen this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwpKP_9_fAA

It doesn't look like it's a matter of poor workmanship. You know we have the technology to make quality things. These are being designed to fail. Otherwise you'll never have to buy another one.

o

Back on January 29, dadoes wrote: "...use a good-quality surge surpressor on your electric outlet with the machine."

Our 16-year-old Frigidaire Galaxy, referred to upthread, has needed only one repair in its lifetime (replacement of the plastic door-locking finger, a user-replaceable part), and functionally it was still running 100 percent this past week, when a combination of discounts and clearance prices at Lowe's, as well as gradually increasing noise from the main bearing of the machine when in operation, gave us the opportunity, reinforced with excuse, to replace it (with a Samsung WF419AAW).

Where the Frigidaire's controls were mostly mechanical, the new Samsung is 100 percent fly by wire, and I note that the user manual for the new Samsung machine states pointedly,

"Unplug the power plug when the appliance is not being used for long periods of time or DURING A THUNDER/LIGHTNING STORM." [capitalization mine.]

However, the installation instructions are also quite explicit that the washer's electrical plug should be connected directly to a mains outlet and not to any kind of extension cord -- and most spike and surge protectors are packaged as heavy-duty extension cords.

dadoes, in your experience would a simple Tripp-Lite SPIKECUBE 1 single outlet surge protector (presumably a simple MOV) be sufficient protection for a modern clothes washer's electronics? Or do you have a better suggestion?

Here is a link that might be useful: Description of Tripp-Lite SPIKECUBE 1

o

Yes, the outlet-type suppressors are fine, but I don't think using an extension powerstrip-type of surge suppressor would be a problem. However, all powerstrips are not surge suppressors. Some are simply switched extension powerstrips, or may have both protected and unprotected outlets on the strip.

I have outlet-type suppressors on my dishwasher, refrigerator, and one of my washers. I use a powerstrip-type suppressor on two other washers.

Get a unit with a status light and check it occasionally to confirm protection is still active. Replace the unit if not. The MOVs and circuitry that absorb surges will weaken and/or fail when surges occur.

o

I purchased by ASKO washer and dryer in 1995 and they are
still going fine. I did have to replace the washer belt
six years ago, ten dollars and twenty minutes of my time, and last year I had to replace the motor brushes, fifteen
dollars and thirty minutes of my time.
Overall I have been very pleased.

o

Dadoes.......

You said in a post above that a machine bought ten years ago that is ten years old now; that the age experience then might not be the age experience of a machine purchased today.

After thinking about that, Ten years ago was 2002! Planned obsolescence was in full swing even in 2002 and quality was not what we would consider great even then. So I have to wonder if "not so good" quality in 2002 is about the same now as it was then or even worse.

o

""He also found that LG used a cast-aluminum 'spyder' (Y-shaped piece of metal that holds the inner tub to the axle shaft) inside the machine. Anyone who owns a boat can tell you that when you put aluminum in water with steel the aluminum will immediately start to corrode. In this case, the aluminum spyder had corroded so badly that it took the bearings with it. In 4 years of normal use.""
=============================================

As is the case with A LOT of Front Load washers, there are a few design flaws with them that make them prone to Premature Bearing Failure.

o

""He also found that LG used a cast-aluminum 'spyder' (Y-shaped piece of metal that holds the inner tub to the axle shaft) inside the machine. Anyone who owns a boat can tell you that when you put aluminum in water with steel the aluminum will immediately start to corrode. In this case, the aluminum spyder had corroded so badly that it took the bearings with it. In 4 years of normal use.""

Or they overdosed detergent which could also contribute to the spider corrosion.

As is the case with A LOT of first time FL users (especially years ago) - they don't know how to use it properly.

Quoted from a UK site written by appliance specialists,

"Do you use liquid detergent?

... It is also VERY easy and prone to over-dosing, which can lead to a congealed mass of goo in, or on, the drum which, in extreme cases can actually corrode the aluminum drum shaft.

Shown in the photograph to the right is a badly corroded alloy drum support spider from just such treatment and this is, by far, not the worst that we've seen. In some really bad cases the support almost disintegrates.

Sorry soap powder manufacturers, but we see this in the field after several years."

Here is a link that might be useful: spider corrosion

o

Interesting link...Obviously Europe since I kept reading mention of a boil wash.

The aluminum spider has been a mystery for me. From what I understand, almost all front load washers on the market have had aluminum spiders for quite some time. I do not think Miele or SQ do........

I know my Duet does from what I've seen online. I've seen online where some folks had theirs fail after as little as 2 to 3 yrs......some 4 yrs........others 5

From day one, I've only used HE powder and vinegar in the rinse dispenser and after 7 yrs my machine is still going & it has an aluminum spider....Of course, me bragging about getting seven years and counting out of it something will certainly happen and it will fall apart the next time I use it.

But there is nothing that I have seen that indicated anything is wrong with my machine. I don't over load it. Loads are about 1/2 to 3/4 full when dry with the occasional dry clothes loosely going to the top (dry) that ends up being about 1/2 full wet.

My machine has never has any kind of smell. I don't know if that would be the case if I lived in a super humid area like FL or TX, but I don't exactly live in what I would call a dry area either...I'm sure having A/C, which most do (I think) would help as well.

I wish I could remember someone taking an older FL apart that had an aluminum spider at 11 yrs old & the spider showed little corrosion. I think they were taking it apart for another issue, but it wasn't the spider.

Could liquid detergent really speed the process of corroding the spider up? OR is it just over dosing liquid detergent. Funny they didn't mention folks over dosing powder. You know some do!

o

@mark40511, there is much debate about liquid vs. powder. Some long time FL users on this forum swear by powder to keep a machine clean and odor free. That jives with the UK folks on Whitegoods who say the same thing.

It also comes down to dosing correctly. I believe that is a significant reason for so many FL issues. In the user's defence, when FL became popular here in NA, manufacturers did little to educate people.

"Soap Powder, Tablets And Liquids Confuse People

... Powder is the original detergent format and to this day it has all the technologies available in it, you get the full cadre of cleaning power in a powder so after that it only comes down to how good it is. I know it's potentially messy and harder to get home but it really is the best.

Liquid is the most convenient in many ways to a lot of people as you just pick up a bottle and pour it in. well, that's the theory at least.

In practice liquid can cause a lot of trouble, especially for service engineers. You see, it's easily overdosed and this can cause no end of harm to a machine and that goes back to the tip about dosing on the first page, it really is vital to get it right or expect a bill for the engineer as manufacturers generally do not cover for detergent misuse which is the way they view these problems.

If the dosage doesn't get you then the smell might, liquid detergents do not and cannot at this time contain a bleaching agent (nor is it ever likely to) so the bacteria doesn't always get killed in the machine. This can congeal and for a rather smelly mass which is not good for your nose or your machine and that's one of the reasons why I recommend a maintenance wash and why it has to be done with powder or tablets, so that theres a bleaching agent to remove any bacterial build up in the machine."

Here is a link that might be useful: Whiter Whites And Brighter Colours - All About Detergents

o

Interesting discussion.

I was recently reading on another forum that most residential washers (GE, Maytag, Whirlpool etc.) are rated for 3000 cycles from the manufacturer.

Miele rates their washers for 10,000 cycles.

Speed Queen rates their washers for 25,000 cycles.

For a family that does 10 loads/week:

1)Their residential washer should be toast in about 6 years.

2) Miele washer should be toast in 19 years.

3) Speed Queen washer should be toast in 48 years.

I don't know how accurate these cycle ratings are for each manufacturer is but the residential figure sounds about right. Most folks get under 10 years on their washer before major repairs begin. Full disclosure: I have a 4 month old front load Speed Queen. It is without a doubt a commercial washer. I expect it to be the last washer (and dryer) that I buy. Check back with me in 48 years, to see how it's doing.

o

@bestf100, I keep referencing the same site but they also have an article that talks about exactly that.

It was a good read - you can draw your own conclusions.

"Stagnant Market
It is well known that, in effect, the domestic appliance market is a stagnant one. This means that there is little to no growth in the marketplace and, especially over the last two decades bar the arrival of Dyson vacuum cleaners, there has been little innovation. So how do you grow a business within such an environment as seems required to consider a company successful?

Easy, shorten the lifespan of the product.

Think about it, if the replacement cycle was about ten years and you half that to five then you can double your sales. It isn't rocket science."

You can read the whole article via the link. It's long but very interesting.

As for the cycles, it appears the Speed Queen one you mention applies to the commercial "vend" machines not the residential ones. I'm sure most people won't be buying commercial machines for their home.

"Additional peace of mind is provided by the industry leading 25,000 cycle or 10-year limited warranty. This warranty is effective on Quantum Control-powered Speed Queen vended cabinet hardmount washer-extractors with 20 through 60 lb capacities."

Home machines (front load) appear to have this warranty:

"Front Load Washers
3-year warranty on parts and labor for the entire washing machine
5-year limited warranty on the motor
5-year limited warranty on the cabinet
5-year limited warranty on the bearing and seal assembly
A lifetime warranty on the stainless steel wash basket
A lifetime warranty on the stainless steel outer drain tub"

I don't see any information on how many cycles they promise for their home laundry units. Do you know that information? Miele does say 10,000 for their home units.

"Miele washing machines are designed and tested for 10,000 wash cycles - that's a life span of 18-20 years at an average of 7-10 washes a week."

Also, I read on another forum that SQ does not have any image stabilization so they are quite noisy when they spin (that's what one owner said anyway). He said they are best installed on concrete.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Great Washing Machine Swindle

o
RE: Does ANY Washer last 10+ years now????

Sorry @mark40511 - I didn't address some of your points.

Yes. The site I've linked is UK based. I find they have more accurate information in Europe as it relates to front load washers since 90% of Europe uses them and they've been using them longer than NA (or at least in mass).

Miele uses (I believe) a cast iron spider (as well as a cast iron cradle - other brands use concrete). I'm not sure what SQ uses for either.

o

livebetter: "The site I've linked is UK based. I find they have more accurate information in Europe as it relates to front load washers since 90% of Europe uses them and they've been using them longer than NA (or at least in mass).

Automatic washing machines became widespread in the United States about 20 years before thay became widespread in Europe. In the United States, automatic washing machines became popular in the late 1930s, while in Europe at that time, staying alive became a higher priority than whiter whites.

Prior to the end of World War II, an automatic washing machine was a front-loading washing machine. Top-loading washing machines had "mangles" (wringers) attached to the top, and they needed them; front loading washing machines did not need mangles.

The selling opportunity provided by the return of the troops and the Baby Boom gave us tail fins on cars and top loading automatic washers, for about the same reasons: marketing, not functionality. From a functionality standpoint, top loading washing machines are about as sensible as tail fins.

o

@herring_maven, great info thanks.

My mom had a wringer washer. I recall it vaguely. I believe she caught her hand in the wringer once and miraculously didn't break any bones.

My exposure to front load machines didn't happen until about 11 years ago when I bought my first one - a Frigidaire Gallery (heavy duty) set. Most people were in the dark back then and many still are. We were "cutting edge" among our friends in 2001 getting a "new fangled front loader" ... lol.

o

livebetter,

That was a good read.

It is my understanding that internally, the only difference between the "home," Speed Queen front load washer and the commercial Quantum control, commercial versions (of the same capacity) are the additional electronics. With the home version, you get basic rotary control knobs. With the Quantum versions, you get digital controls, a bigger price tag (and a longer warranty, of course). All the internal components are identical. Since these models are used in small hotels, veterinarians offices etc., I'd be willing to bet that the longevity differences between the two models is nill.

Yes, the front load model is a bit noisy when it goes into its final spin. My washer is not on concrete floor. It is on a first floor linoeum over wood floor. No problems in my case. Unlike other front loaders, which waste time trying to decide when it is going to spin an unbalanced load, This one builds up spin speed regardless of load balance. The entire wash cycle is done in under 45 minutes every time.

o

Regarding the "How do we increase washer sales; cut the average lifespan in half"

That only makes "part" sense to me. When a manufacturer does this aren't they cutting their own throat for everyone thinking they don't make a good product if it fails only after a few years? They get a bad name and people start avoiding their product and in the long term they lose sales based on that?

I can't tell how many times I've read online.......Never again a GE, EVER! Or........Never A Whirlpool or Maytag.

I think there's only so much shortening they can do before people go elsewhere to buy. (If that's the case)

o

livebetter: "My mom had a wringer washer. I recall it vaguely. I believe she caught her hand in the wringer once and miraculously didn't break any bones."

Maybe the YouTube video (the "link that might be useful") below will refresh your memory. :-)

As a bonus trip down memory lane, see this bit of advertising contortion

Here is a link that might be useful: At about 0:58/1:18

o

I haven't read through all the posts to know where the conversation is now but I did read the earlier posts when the thread first appeared. I finally decided to post the thought that occurred to me then. It's just an observation, no more, no less. I'm not making light of anyone's valid concerns.

This same question - do the new machines last as well as the old ones - came up several times when I was researching front loaders on this forum back in '98. I bought a pair (Kenmore, nothing fancy, delivered Jan '99) but I worried that they might not last 10 years, based on pessimistic comments here. Well, here it is, 13 years later, and the machines are still working (knocking on wood) and show no sign that they aren't going to keep working (knocking on wood, again, superstitious, who me?). And I hope they keep running for several more years!

o

Hey Lisa

Thanks very much for letting us know that your basic (front load?) washer bought in 99 is STILL working & seems to be continuing to work fine. I do have to wonder how many washers out there (made today) will last ten plus years & we will never hear about it because people don't post "usually" when things are going right....Only wrong.......So that seems to be what we always hear about (the bad)....Not the good.

o

I purchased a Maytag Neptune (2nd model) in May 1999. Still in service today, no problems whatsoever, no service calls. I guess I am one of the lucky ones that have no problems.

o

Livebetter,That was interesting info about those 10000 washes on Miele.I guess if I use prewash and double or triple extra rinses or double wash on comforters that could actually count as a cycles. So I should be happy that my LG bearrings lasted 5 years.In simple normal washes it could be 10 or more years as i thought.
And I had no idea that bearrings themselves get warranty.
I think my motor has 10 years warranty on it. I just don't read the papers. I always get extended warranty and call them when needed. Kind of easy for me this way.

o

I agre with the idea that what you purchse today will not necessarily have much in common with waht the company produced 10 years ago.
That being said, I have 10 year old GE Profile frontloaders. I have never had a single issue with them and they are still going strong - knock on wood :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here