Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ideagirl2_gw

What detergent for Miele?

ideagirl2
12 years ago

Hello! I just got a Miele W1926 and T1526 washer/dryer pair in great condition from Craigslist for $300 (for the pair... awesome!), but now I don't know what detergent to use. The manual says to use "low-sudsing detergent." Can I just use a high efficiency/HE detergent? Or is "low-sudsing" something else?

I've heard great things about Persil, but for now ideally I would like a detergent I can buy at the store, because we've been without a washer for a week now so I don't want to wait any longer to do a load! Also, we normally use Melaleuca detergent so if I can use any HE detergent, I'd like to just get the Melaleuca HE. Is that a good idea? Or... not?

Thanks!

Comments (6)

• livebetter
    12 years ago

Congrats! Any HE detergent should be fine.

I have the Miele W4842. I started using Miele's own detergents several weeks ago and just love them. I get them directly from Miele Canada.

Prior to that though, I used many different ones (green not green). All HE. Some suds more than others though so you should keep an eye on that. Usually the liquids suds more than the powders (not sure what format Melaleuca comes in).

• ideagirl2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you! Livebetter, do you know if Miele's own detergents are green?

Cavimum, that's crazy, how much detergent residue was left in your clothes from the old machine! I never use fabric softener anyway, but it's good to know to avoid it. When my husband was setting up the machines, he found that the dryer's lint screen was totally blocked--the previous owners must have been using dryer sheets, like Bounce or something, which it specifically says in the manual not to use because over time it will block the lint screens.

• livebetter
    12 years ago

I'm not sure they would be classified as green. However, Germany seems ahead of us in terms of environmental issues.

What I can say is that they say environmentally friendly. The Ultra Color Powder says, "Does not contain zeolites A, phosphates, optical brighteners, bleaching agents or filler and is therefore particularly environmental-friendly."

What worried me about some green products is they don't contain ingredients for good maintenance of your machine. Ingredients that keep minerals from building up on your heater for example.

This is an interesting UK article, "Whiter Whites And Brighter Colours - All About Detergents".

"You see most people couldn't give a fig about detergents or washers, instead what happens is that you fire the clothes in the washing machine and just assume that the washer will just clean your clothes. Well, in real life, things don't just happen like that. For years I've told customers that the detergent that you use is as important as the machine you use or choose to buy as the two to work in harmony with one another and each forms an important part in the results that you will get."

I am quite green myself. I use as many non toxic cleaners as possible. I was completely green with laundry for quite a few years. My new Miele machines made me rethink that. I spent a lot of money for them and I want them to perform to their absolute best and I want to take care of them best I can. It was hard for me to find mainstream detergent I could be happy with.

I really wanted to love Persil (also German) but found the fragrance too overwhelming (especially coming from the natural smells of greener detergents). I am, however, very happy with the Miele detergents. They do smell but their smell is much milder than Persil and I really like the smell. For example, the Ultra Color Powder (which I seem to use the most as it contains the least things like oxygen bleach and brighteners) smells of lavender and citrus. It's very nice. When I use the 3 rinse option and no fabric softener the laundry only smells ever so light.

Please come back and tell us how you are enjoying you machines and what you're using.

Here is a link that might be useful: Whiter Whites And Brighter Colours - All About Detergents

• livebetter
    12 years ago

I wanted to point out that I find the German products (and particularly Miele) to be VERY low sudsing. They must do something different with their products.

• liriodendron
    12 years ago

I have older Mieles - 1918 and 1985- (that's model numbers not year of manufacture, LOL!) and they, along with my older ASKO machines, have been getting a steady diet of regular Cheer powder for going on 20 years with excellent cleaning results, and no problems with build-up, corrosion, etc.

I bought my first FL before there were such things as HE detergents and the key thing to look for was low sudsing, which the Cheer powder was, and mercifully, still is. They have reformulated it a couple of times since then, but still not meddled with the low suds thing. I buy it at Target stores.

I use about 1 Tablespoon per load. I have naturally normal to low hardness in my water and this dosing rate works just fine. YMMV, of course.

I think at least as important as brand (beyond low sudsing, which is essential with any FL) is how the detergent interacts with your water. I would try a sharply reduced dose of what you have been using (though I am no fan of Melaleuka products in general) and see where it gets you.

What works for someone else may be awful for you; there is no one-product-is-the-best-for-all.

Persil is OK, but not as good as Cheer with my water. And it's much more expensive!

Pick something to try, dose carefully and consistently and see where it gets you. You'll know if you're not getting the cleaning you expect.

Congrats on getting very good machines at a great price. If you haven't had old 220V Mieles before, you're in for a treat.

HTH,
    L.