Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mfduffy

Maytag/Whirlpool wash temps

mfduffy
12 years ago

I recently got some info from Maytag support and thought others might be interested. I was asking about the MHW9000YW. I would guess this info applies to the 6000 and 7000 models as well.

--------

1) When is the heater used?

The heater is used for the cycles that you can choose Steam Sanitize (extra hot) water temperature. The cycles that you have this choice with are "Heavy Duty, Whites, Power Wash, Bedding and Allergen."

2) What are the target temps?

The min/max temperatures would be as follows:

Sanitary/Super Hot (Duet HT) - 153 degrees

Whitest Whites/Heavy Duty Hot 127 degrees

Normal Hot - 122 degrees

Warm - 104 degrees

Cold - 77 degrees

All temps are plus or minus 10 degrees

The front load washers will take hot water in on a cold wash as well, as they have been set to have a cold wash of 77 degrees. This is part of the ATC (Automatic Temperature Control) system. This allows the detergent to dissolve better, affecting the wash quality and the life time of the washer (less detergent built-up in the pump). Please note, the rinse is cold (no hot water added).

3) Does the power spray nozzle still add water to the load if I use powder detergent?

Powerspray uses a special spray nozzle just inside the door. If you are using the single-dose detergent compartment (liquid detergent), water and detergent are added through the regular water inlets; the Powerspray nozzle is not used. If using the regular detergent (powder) then this option is used.

--------

I wish she had been clearer on the last point. Does anyone know if the powerspray nozzle is used to add water if you aren't using the dispenser?

It's a bummer there's no option to have the heater maintain the warm temp.