Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danell_hiltz

What is the best top loader w agitator

Danell Hiltz
9 years ago

I've read reviews here as well as Consurmer Reports, Good Housekeeping, and more. So far it appears to be Whirlpool WTW4850BW or GE GTWN5650FWS.

Please, what is so great about Speed Queen? I saw it mentioned here in this forum but never see it in Consumer Reports or other such ratings.

My space is small with a wooden sub floor so noise and vibration will be concerns. I don't need a large capacity tub, I'm used to a laundry center with maybe a 3 cubic ft (LOVED my laundry center but have moved...).

Of course my hope is that I can find a suitable washer/dryer pair that will perform well for years with little hassle.

Comments (12)

• dianne47
    9 years ago

Speed Queen is very often touted in this forum. When my son needed an inexpensive W/D several years ago, he asked for my advice. I steered him to buying a used SQ set. He's had to do one minor repair, which he accomplished himself despite never having fixed anything in his life. The machines are going strong and they've washed cloth diapers as well as all the family laundry hundreds of times in the past few years.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago when a friend who owns a dog-grooming business (run in her home) needed a new W/D. Talk about tons of laundry! She asked me to come with her to purchase the set. We went to the local appliance store and she chose mid-range SQ models. She texted me this evening, "This washer & dryer has been in constant use since 11 this morning. I love it.....you did good ðÂÂÂ"

SQ makes basic, hard-working machines that are reliable and last. It's about the only brand you can say that about these days.

• triedandtrue
    9 years ago

I concur with what hvtech42 says about people will pay more for bling than actual substance.

Have my Speed Queen washer and dryer now 2 months shy of 2years and they perform beautifully. Never once had a load go off balance and I wash some large heavy loads.

There really is nothing to compare them with. These are the last of their kind. The best warranty out there.

If you want the last of the true Heavy Duty washers we have known for generations. These are IT!

• elbits
    9 years ago

If a tornado buzzed by, I'd grab my Speed Queen washer and hang on. It's not going anywhere, lol. I bought my set, sight unseen, 3 years ago and I LOVE them. :)

• gates1
    9 years ago

Speed queen..had my washer for almost two years..it doesnt move. I even tried to make it go out of balance...put all the bathroom rugs on one side ofthe drum before it went into spin....NOPE..it didnt budge or bang...like elbits said....when in a tornado, hang on to it, your not going anywhere! LOL

• Danell Hiltz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great respones, thank you. Speed Queen here I come!!

• triedandtrue
    9 years ago

Just the weight alone of these machines tells you they really are built solid.
    I had a Maytag Bravos X that was really a glorified paperweight in comparison. That machine vibrated on spin with no clothes in it.

The stainless steel tub in the Bravos was reminiscent of a cheese grater. I don't know the grade of the stainless tub in the speed queens off hand , but is far better than LG, Samsung, Whirlpool,....etc.

I liked Whirlpool washers when they made REAL washers. Now tthey make poor excuses for washers.

Sorry for the rant. It's just a shame Whirlpool lost sight of the quality laundry appliances they used to produce.

• Danell Hiltz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay, I'm sold on the washing machine however I'm seeing on-line that there are issues with the dryer. What say you? What dryer to get to go with my upcoming Speed Queen Washer?

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

I think the Speed Queen dryers are fine, not aware of any big issues, but they aren't the best, especially for the money.. I would go with the Whirlpool 29" model that has the lint filter on top.

This post was edited by hvtech42 on Tue, Jan 27, 15 at 1:18

• gates1
    9 years ago

I didnt need a new dryer, just the washer. Im not a big fan of lint filters on top of the dryer...pull it out and dust falls and goes everywhere. I think the ones in the door jam are much better

• triedandtrue
    9 years ago

My speed queen dryer has worked very well since I bought it 2 years ago. I wound up getting the matching dryer to the AWN542 washer instead of the AWN432 washer which I have.

I usually dry most of my laundry on The regular less*dry setting and get good results.

The 29" whirlpool dryers were great, had one for 27 years. But the speed queen dryers are good performers too.

The newest speed queen dryers are equipped with moisture sensing ; though I do not know if they are released yet.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

I recommended the model with the top lint filter not because of the lint filter location, but because it is a better mechanical design than the 27" models with the lint filter inside.

I find that lint adheres pretty well to filters and needs a good scraping to come off. From my many years of owning top lint filter dryers I never had issues with making a mess.