Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sophiesuds_gw

life expectancy for front loaders/top loaders?

sophiesuds
17 years ago

How long do you think today's front loaders will last? Top loaders? I ask because I am currently using a 23 yr old Kenmore set. I know that front loaders use less water and less energy, but I hear their life span is not very long (not that I think I will ever see 23 years again!). I never knew that selecting a w/d could be so involved!

Thanks, Sophie

Comments (39)

• lei1234
    17 years ago

It all depends on the expectation. I had my HE3 hauled away after less than 3.5 years. The washer washed cloth just I can't stands the noise and vibration. If I have a basement laundry then I will still have it now. I think most people gave away FL wasn't because it didn't wash cloth. Most of the reasons are vibration and mold condition.

• washer_man
    17 years ago

23 years is a very long time for any kind of washer to last. I think you probably got a little lucky with your set.

Typically, a washer should last at least ten years with five to ten wash loads a week before it starts giving you serious problems. Of course there are exceptions, your Kenmore set for one. Also, there have been washers that have proven to be as bad as your kenmore was good. The Calypso for one, and maybe Maytag's Neptune as well.

Front Loaders & Top Loaders both have their own unique quirks, as do individual brands. For instance, Front loaders can develop leaky door gaskets, and Top Loaders can have problems with humidity and rust.

As a general rule, if you want a reliable set you should buy an established brand that has a good service network, because service techs can be very good at giving feedback to the manufacturer about what needs improving and fixing.

Don't buy brand new technology. Instead lean towards technology that's been on the market long enough to get all the bugs worked out. Whirlpool Direct Drive washers are a good example in this regard, as are Fisher & Paykel's Eco washers, and don't buy top of the line models that are loaded up with features and acessories because even if the underlying washer technology is proven, the acessories may not be.

• twoblackdogs
    17 years ago

For some of the older top loaders I think you will see a lot of older models that still work fine - I have a 25+ year old Maytag TL, my mother just replaced her 30+ year set of Maytags and I know others with older Maytag, Whirlpools or Kenmores. But these machines are basic - Like mine has 3 load settings, 3 water level settings and 4 temp options - not very technical. I want to replace it & my 10 year old Kenmore dryer (which replaced a 30 year old Kenmore dryer ) before they die. My kids are getting older so their clothes are bigger - so I do at least 9 - 12 loads a week - a reason I want a bigger washer. I guess I'm having a hard time making the commitment to spend $2k on a new FL w/d, spend more $$ for the extra warranty -- which seems like most do - and then only expect 5-6 years before I'm buying another machine?
    I am looking at the Whirlpool Duet 9300 or 9400 at Lowes as I have 10% off there and I will never buy anything from Best Buy again (long story).
    Any body have a FL Whirlpool that is older than 6 years without having any issues?

• asolo
    17 years ago

IMHO reliability remains a question with ANY new machine today, regardless of type. Even conventional designs are manufactured using different parts and techniques than they were "in the old days". Different materials and guages of materials, different bearings, fittings and other components. Whether or not they will hold up like the 15-25-year-life machines of the past that so many people report remains to be seen.

I've had Duet 9400 for two trouble-free years. Hopefully my good experience will extend for a decade or more but don't really know. Nobody else does either at this point. I've heard people say that the new machines are designed for "a service life of seven years" (sometimes different numbers) but don't really know about that either. So far, so good. We're all placing our bets as we buy.

• coachdubya
    17 years ago

Our Kenmore washer is about 12 yrs old and except for one or two maintenance items has worked flawlessly. Funny thing is we bought it from the Sears surplus store. We'd like to get a new one but are hesitant given the seemingly endless stream of issues regardless of the mftr. We've experienced it first hand having recently replaced the Kenmore dryer with a F&P, which included one DOA unit and this one needing service due to some squeaking/grinding issues. Small wonder they have a 2 yr warranty.....looks like we're gonna need it.

So the earlier advice to stick with proven technology is a good one cuz when it comes to new technology they don't call it the bleeding edge for nothing.

• srswirl
    17 years ago

All I can say is that I bought the very first Frigidaire Gallery front load set in 1996. They will be 11 years old this year. After 8 plus loads per week these 10 plus years, they both still work like brand new and look like brand new. Never a single problem. I'm looking to replace them with the Bosch Nexxt 700 series machines...only because I want the heater and the additional options (yeah...I looked at the new large Miele...and put a pros/cons list together...the Bosch won). If the Frigidaire had a heater...I'd be using it until it dies (and even then I'd probably repair it since I know how...it could last a long time with proper maintenance).

• fordtech
    17 years ago

An even murkier question is will there be parts to repair my machine when it does break down? So many machines get an updo and or complete remake so often that the parts system will be extremely loaded with one offs that only work on one model for one or two years and will become extremely hard to find especially the ones manufactured overseas, which comprises a huge percentage of the total now.

Take the long standing parts avaliability of the Maytag lines that may become completely extinct in a few years should Whirlpool decide not to produce parts for the OLD MAYTAG CORP line.
    Companies swapping ownership right and left and dealers dropping out of business like flies and all you have left are Sears and a few companies stocking parts and they sure cant afford to stock everything for every machine ever made.

• latsabre
    17 years ago

I agree that in general we'll never see 23 years again, with the possible exception of Miele, which both the manufacturer and owners say will last 20 years. Most sales people I've talked to have said straight out not to expect other brands to last more than 10 years.

• housekeeping
    17 years ago

Well, my oldest Asko is coming up on 14 years and my oldest Miele is 12. Each of my machines does about 20 loads per week apiece, so none of them owes me a dime.

I think when we hear about very old machines that are still working, and assume that all old machines lasted longer than all new models we forget that many older models which have long since died have faded from out consciousness. And I think it's important to remember than even pricey Mieles are still cheaper, in constant dollars, than washing machines were 20 or 25 years ago. There has been pressure by consumers to get ever cheaper products, and cost and longevity are two intertwined factors, since higher costs can indicate higher quality materials and build. Consumers vote with their checkbooks and you can't blame manufacturers for trying to give consumers what they demand. If we buy quality long-lasting products then they will provide them; but if our collective preference is for cheap, disposable stuff, then that's what we'll have to choose from.

Molly~

• agiflow
    17 years ago

Manufacturers have to cut corners today to keep the prices at basically the same level they were fourty or more years ago. Of course we won't see the same quality.

An old WP belt drive or Maytag center dial timer machine would be upwards of at least a grand to get 20 or more years from a washer today.

A $400 TL washer today is peanuts compared to what people were earning 40 or 50 years ago. Most people didn't make nearly that much in a week.

So for a $1500 MIELE,..it should last 20 years with relatively no problems.

• twoblackdogs
    17 years ago

When our old old Kenmore dryer had an issue (it was 30 years old at the time) Sears actually carried the $15 part it needed. It finally died a more expensive death 5 years later - meaning Sears actually had the parts we needed then too - but it was a more expensive repair. Luckily for me my DH is very electrically & mechanically inclined and saves us $ that way.

I would gladly pay even $4k for a new set if I could get another 25+ years life out of them with minimal cost in repairs. I guess I'm one of the few consumers who would pay more to get more quality. Plus - gulp - I've been married 22 years and never bought a washer/dryer - I inherited my current washer from my grandmother!

• fordtech
    17 years ago

Many current generation consumer wont keep a machine 25 years even if they lasted that long. They will buy a new home and get new appliances or simply want something more modern and energy efficient. If a machine purchased 10 years ago, a top loader, is even capable of going another 15 years, then why are so many new front loaders being sold with thier pretty designer cabinets and digital controls? A great many will tell you that thier machine "just died" and it will cost too much to fix it. 2-4 hundred and maybe get 10 more years or 2 or 3 thousand and get a new set. Guess what choice they are taking?

• blhennessy_charter_net
    15 years ago

We have a Kenmore HE3t set and have had a variety of problem over the 7-8 years we have had it. Electronic board on the dryer, pump on the washer. But we have six kids and do a ton of laundry. We also live in a sandy area so add that abrasive factor. As we face a new door gasket and installation ($200 about) I am question you out there; A: Would you opt for a new one at this point? And B: If so, what is the most durable, high volume washer on the market?

• tisaac73
    9 years ago

I have a whirlpool duet front loader. It is 4.5 years old and NOT doing so hot. It has ruined my floors in the laundry room and now I can't wash a little ad of clothes in less then 3 hours. It keeps throwing codes at me. I will never again own another front loader. Uggg

• hvtech42
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The top loader situation today isn't so great and most of them are riddled with problems too. It's not about front load vs. top load, it's about how well the machines are built! Your old machine didn't last 20+ years because it was a top loader, it lasted because it was built with quality, and a similar machine today would cost thousands of dollars.

• vetwife1998
    9 years ago

Just had a service repairman at our house yesterday, for our 5-1/2 y/o Whirlpool Cabrio Energy Star Top Loader (w/agitator). The bearing in the washer tub has gone bad, and the statement on the service slip -- "bearing bad, not economical to repair." He gave us some advice for looking for new machines (stick to basics, stay away from gimmicks). So, we're off to look for a new machine. Happy Valentine's Day!

• fordtech
    9 years ago

So quick and easy to say not economical to repair, get paid well to show up and say so. Pays a lot better than actually repairing and no dirty mess to deal with. SAD

• terrileew
    9 years ago

The repair for our six year old Duet was quoted at $1000. We paid $650 for it. The bearings that went out are attached to the tub and the whole tub assembly would have to be replaced. The new Speed Queen comes Tuesday and I'm hoping it lasts much longer.

• cupofkindnessgw
    9 years ago

We have a twenty-five year old Whirlpool washer and dryer. Praying that they last forever. Appliance manufactureres need to be ethical again and make products that last for decades. Even one decade!

• sandiego_steve
    9 years ago

The current Speed Queen front load lineup is rated for over 10,000 wash cycles. Thus is you do 10 loads a week those machines will last you 20 years. If you do less loads it should last you longer.

• fordtech
    9 years ago

Nothing will last 10000 washes without a single repair. There are too many people willing to dump a machine without a single repair and too many unwilling to attempt any repair themselves no matter how simple and too many repairmen today who only will do the simple repairs or he will condemn it. Id love to be able to only have to do simple repairs on cars or send you to the new car lot, but I have integrity and care enough about my customers to try to save them some money and to save them from catastrophic loss when possible.

• sandiego_steve
    9 years ago

My previous top load washer did not need any repairs and it had over 10,000 wash cycles on it before I bought a front load washer to replace it to save water.

• Penn Anthony
    9 years ago

2002 I bought a TL Frigidaire Heavy Duty stacked w/d Super Capacity 2 sp-3/4 hp motor. 3 wash/dry/temp and load sizes. No break downs or problems up to 4/11/15. In planning last years (68 retired), how long is expected life for repairs or replacement. I do basically 2 loads per week. So what parts usually go bad. Help each other,ok?

• rpsinfoman
    9 years ago

Kenmore electronic 90 series lasted 19 years and only one repair.(drive coupler) 80 series Kenmore 21 years one repair (pump) My Whirlpool Duet first generation 11 years with one repair. (Door gasket). Today's units 7-10 years. KEEP THOSE OLD KENMORE UNITS. You'll wish you had. Too many fall into the consumerism of the HE train new is better. It's not! Nothing today will last as long, energy savings are marginal, cycle times are more than double, and government regulation has now dictated what water temperatures are permissible, and the amount of water used. New units DO NOT clean any better than the old TL,S. The only performence difference is marginal on white goods simply because the onboard heater provides a hotter wash than an old TL could ever achieve. I could wash 4 loads in the time it takes for my new Kenmore/LG to do one. Don,t fall for the hype you can put much larger loads in and save time. LOL

• fordtech
    9 years ago

I regularly get Lincolns and Fords in that are 12 years old or older that you cant get many parts for anymore for things that are electronic and so much on a vehicle is electronic these days. Imagine paying 40-50 grand and you cant fix it anymore after 10 or so years. Good thing you can buy a washer for 500-1200 dollars. Many of those old cars are held by older people who only put a few thousand miles a year on them. They potentially could run a car for 20 years or more, but there is so many changes every year in an automobile that the manufacturer just cant provide all the parts for all of them for 20 years.

• rpsinfoman
    9 years ago

That's true. But parts for appliances are easily available for 20 years and sometimes longer. But generally you get 20 years out of an appliance it's at life's end. A washer costing a 1000 dollars and you get 10 trouble free years, it cost you 100 bucks a year. Couldn't use a coin op for that. It's when that life expectancy drops to 5 to 7 years it becomes questionable. I don't view major appliances as disposable after 5 years. Seems to be the trend with all household electrics.

• fordtech
    9 years ago

I dont either, but you should check out some machines that were produced in the past 10 years that it is virtually impossible to get parts for because they are priced out of this world. Lets use for example a control board for Maytag Neptune. Thats about 400.00. Control Panel about 200.00. Rear drum with bearing, up to 600.00. And that doesnt take into account the service call and labor. Whirlpool has effectively priced repairing that machine out of reach for most people, especially those who have to rely on a repairman to do it for them.
    I got most of my parts from Ebay, shopping all those Maytag dealers who went out of business and wholesaling the part off there. I got enough parts since Maytag went out of business to completely replace every internal part and control panel and boards that way. But how many average people will shop Ebay and do the work themselves?\
    The more electronics that get integrated into machines the faster they become obsolete because manufacturers will not keep those parts on hand for ever or price them out of reach..

• rpsinfoman
    9 years ago

I agree with you ford tech. It's a gimmick, and replacement keeps new sales dollars rolling in. Lol Cars are the same. Out of warranty you can't afford to repair them because most require a dealership visit. Too bad I can't lease a laundry appliance. Lol.

• rpsinfoman
    9 years ago

Yes enduring, even the Miele is no match for the dirty farm clothes, pet bedding, greasy industrial work clothes, beauty salon linen. Nothing beats those ole top loaders for fast and raw cleaning power!

• Don
    9 years ago

I think the goal for FL life should be about eight years. When shopping for a FL, it should be possible to buy a five year warranty for an additional $100-150. My thinking is that the first major repair after 5 years (say $250+) means that the machine is finished and should be replaced. I believe that on almost all types of equipments extended warranties are not financially sound. But FL is probably an exception. Personally I would not buy the extended warranty on a new dryer.

This approach keeps the yearly cost of owning a FL at $200-300. Reasonable if one uses the FL features. A Speed Queen TL will normally cost less on a yearly basis. But some money is recovered owning the FL by reduced use of water and water heating.

I purchased my current house with an old Maytag washer and dryer included. The top of the washer's agitator wouldn't stay connected, and the dryer drum squeaked. But they cleaned fine. Eight years later, with no repairs, these units were still working when they were replaced with my fancy FL matching pair.

It's hard for me to say that expensive, short-lived laundry equipment we have today is progress.

• mrb6228
    9 years ago

Not sure about other manufacturers, but LG stops part support at 10 years across the board. Shameful practice in my opinion.

MRB

• sandy1616
    9 years ago

I have 2 Asko sets. The oldest is 14 yrs old and the washer has had a drain pump replaced. We ordered the part and replaced it for under $100. This washer is on the main floor and washes a minimum of 10 loads a week. I had an old LG FL that ran for 5 yrs and was given to a friend who needed a washer. It's still running 3 yrs later.

I am fussy about my appliances. I use the proper amounts of detergent, clean the washers regularly and use appropriate cycles and load sizes. Maybe I've just been lucky but I really don't understand why FL have the reputation of dying young.

• Art Compton
    8 years ago

My Neptune FL, model MAH6500AWQ, has gone 15 years without a hitch. Just had to replace the outer drum bearings, not a job for the faint hearted, but not expensive; $40 for the seal & bearing kit, $60 for online bearing tool rental, and about four hours time. I hope to get another five years out of it before putting it and the matching dryer into our rental unit.

• fordtech
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Good job Art, if you can do it yourself they will last a long time. I completely refurbished my Neptune 7500 and hope for another 10 years. I also hope I last another 10 :)

• Deborah lippitt
    4 years ago

have a 18 year old Kenmore(we bought it used) and it is having it's first repair..unless it is the platform, then new. I come from ranching communities and everyone knows that front loaders don't get dirty ranch clothes clean..Only old fashioned agitation type top loaders really get the job done. I have quized every appliance dealer around and while reluctant to fess up they will admit that the front loaders don't get the job done..if you have really dirty clothes. Now deciding to buy a Speed Queen or not..they still have tops that don't lock..thank god! I don't need my washer to protect me from it!!

• fordtech
    4 years ago

I wash my uniforms in my front loader, have been for ages. It gets the job done for an auto technicians greasy uniforms.

• SEA SEA
    4 years ago

Deborah,

Not sure if you are asking for a recommendation or not from your post.

I have a 3 year old Speed Queen top loader. Very happy with it. Out of warranty 3 months now...fingers crossed all stays in a state of bliss for years to come. Be forewarned though, Speed Queen has two model lines of TL washers now. You would want what is being referred to as the "classic" line. The other model line swishes the clothes a little bit (my salads see more agitation than clothes in those washers), unlike a classic style SQ washer which gives a rather intense agitation through the cycle. A little too much agitation for our needs to be honest, but ranch apparel needs a beating like that.

So far, my washer is built like a tank and has not had an issue to date with anything I've put in it. I do take pillows to the laundromat, but that is because pillows want to float at the top of a TL and I put them through the triple load sized Speed Queen front loaders so they get a better wash (IMO).

For note, SQ does make a fine front loading washing machine if you were interested in that. I can't speak to whether it could handle your soils, but something tells me it could based on a few videos I've seen of it in action.

• Jannette Green
    2 years ago

I currently have Whirlpool duet FL washer/dryer that are almost 15 years old. I’ve never needed a repair. I’ve been very pleased. There are 3 adults in my home and we wash/dry at least 10 loads per week.