Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnlaw

Whirlpool Cabrio other options for TL and Energy Star

mtnlaw
15 years ago

I want to stay with a top loader and have read negative reviews on Whirlpool Cabrio. Any success with other TL that qualify for Energy Star?

Comments (8)

• appliance_researcher
    15 years ago

Check out the Maytag Bravos and the GE Harmony. Both seem to get mostly positive reviews. My grandmother has the Bravos and loves it! HUGE capacity, gets clothes cleaned and rinsed thoroughly and in a relatively short amount of time since cycle time is very similar to that of a regular TL (unless you choose a whole lot of options or you use the sanitary or super wash cycle).

Fisher & Paykel washers are also worth considering as well. I know the FP Aquasmart is Energy Star but I'm not sure if the other two (Intuitive and Ecosmart) are Energy Star. But they all generate mostly positive reviews as well.

Hope this info helps and good luck on your purchase! :o)

Here is a link that might be useful: Maytag Bravos with heater at Lowe's

• mara_2008
    15 years ago

Seconding the Maytag Bravos. I have the 6700 model washer and the 6400 model dryer. Love 'em both! They are both Energy Star appliances.

• User
    15 years ago

Cabrios IS the Bravos. Same manufacturer. Same machine.

• appliance_researcher
    15 years ago

Bravos has heater, Cabrio does not

Bravos has different design (at least externally) than Cabrio

So while they may have some if not most things in common, there are also some differences and therefore are NOT the same machine.

• dadoes
    15 years ago

Some Bravos models, if not all, have (or had, as the case may be) a sound insulation panel beneath the machine.

• sue15c
    15 years ago

What are the negative reviews on the Cabrios? 6200 agitator type? Aren't the Maytags made by Whirlpool? What's the difference between the Cabrios and the Bravos? I heard that commerical parts are used in the Maytag vs./ Whirlpools?

• cynic
    15 years ago

Cabrio/Oasis/Bravos (C/O/B) are sibling machines all based on the same design and made by the same manufacturer. The Oasis had a heater first, then recently the Bravos got it so the heater is NOT unique to the Bravos unit as implied. It wouldn't be surprising to see the Cabrio get a heated unit in the near future.

Some claim they're all made at the same manufacturing plant, others claim they're different, but I haven't been able to confirm or disprove either claim. There's some Bravos fans that think Maytag is made in heaven while the others are the spawn of satan. I've been trying to find out some more info on them. After reading the following blog I decided to inquire from Whirlpool to see what their response would be to more direct questions. A quote from the blog, the response from Whirlpool: "The Maytag Bravos are built the same as the Cabrios." seems to contradict the Bravos fans who claim they're built more "heavy duty" or "better", more "bug free" or the like, but it'll be interesting to see the response to my email. I'll let you know.

External differences? So.... is this simply appearance? Maybe a cycle or two different?

Certainly they're not "identical" machines in the strict sense of the word. But if you don't understand the concept of sibling units no wonder there's the arguments over how much "better" one could be.

Someone else on this board bought the Whirlpool WTW58ESVW which is an interesting machine. 4' capacity, Energy Star, and less than half the cost of a C/O/B or Harmony.

Fisher & Paykel have a variety of efficient machines and seem to be very solid and simple units with a variety of options available.

• dgsj66
    15 years ago

Has anyone seen the new GE model? This one looks like a great price compared to some of the rest.

Here is a link that might be useful: GE WHRE5550KWW

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations