Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kidziti

LG vs Samsung

kidziti
12 years ago

We are looking at two of the more basic FL models - one from LG and the other from Samsung, priced at about the same.

It's a choice between the The LG WM2140CW and the Samsung WF231ANW. I'm leaning heavily towards the Samsung for the following reasons:

- Faster spin cycle (1300 RPM vs 1100 for the LG)

- Sanitize Cycle (if this is what others are calling an "internal heater", this may seal the deal on Samsung since the LG doesn't have it)

- CEE Tier III Qualified (apparently the LG is not)

They are both sale-priced exactly the same (the LG at HomeDepot and the Samsung at Lowes), with free delivery and haul-away. So it just comes down to the smartest choice.

Any thoughts?

Comments (9)

• deeageaux
    12 years ago

The Samsung has an onboard/internal heater and that LG does not.

I would not consider a FL washer that does not have an onboard heater.

Samsung has won the JD Powers overall top washer 4 years in a row.They did not get enough responses from Miele owners for Miele to qualify though.

• izeve
    12 years ago

Agree with deeageaux, definitely get the one with the internal heater.

• berryfarm
    12 years ago

Please do not purchase an LG. We bought an LG top loading HE washer almost a year ago. This week it broke - and trying to get anyone to come out to service it has been a nightmare. Where I live, LG has ONE repair contractor for a two-county area with a population of over 1 million.

For four days now our washer has been locked - with water and clothing inside of it. And we have to wait three more days for someone to come look at it. Not acceptable. LG customer service and wait time for repairs gets a letter grade of "F" from this consumer.

• kidziti
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Berryfarm - It sounds like you are echoing issues I seem to remember gleaning from other posts about LG's customer service issues. Things break. When that happens, it presents an opportunity for the manufacturer to truly make their product shine. I heard an adage in the car industry that "A customer is MADE in the showroom, and KEPT in the service department" - so true in any industry. I am amazed how little that advice is heeded today.

What others say about the wisdom of buying a heater-equipped FL is a strong factor swaying me to the Samsung. But YOUR point resonates particularly strongly. We've owned Whirlpool products for 20 years and were so loyal we encourage others to buy them. We were all set to buy another when we encountered customer service issues - similar to yours with LG - after inquiring about our options with the company (I have a separate post on that here). We will never again buy a Whirlpool product.

How can companies afford to squander a resource as valuable as a loyal customer?

• dan_no_9
    12 years ago

Companies are not what they were.

• Cavimum
    12 years ago

"How can companies afford to squander a resource as valuable as a loyal customer?"

Simple: they don't care anymore. Profit/loss, shareholders, and dividends are all that matter in today's world.

• jessvb7
    12 years ago

I have had an LG top loader and FL, not impressed with either.

• nerdyshopper
    12 years ago

We have had a Samsung for over 2 years and although we have issues with it we have learned how to get around them. It cleans well enough now and doesn't shake. I told the wife the other day, "if this thing lasts over 10 years I'll take back all the bad things I said". I don't know, since front loaders are notorious for problems with either the bearings or the control electronics. But if it does, WHOPPIE.

• Katalin Molnar
    8 years ago

My new AEG top modell washing machine machine do the same!!! Pilling all my clothes from the very first washing! AEG L 98 699 Fl2. It is Italian. I have bought it in June 2014. All my clothes shabby and pilling!