Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmary1235

kenmore oasis owners please look at pictures!

dmary1235
16 years ago

HI! THIS IS PIC OF THE KENMORE OASIS MACHINE ONLY AFTER 1 YEAR AND A HALF...

PLEASE COMMENT ...SEARS TELLS ME ITS COSMETIC..AND THAT I HAVE TO PAY....

Comments (32)

• jerrod6
    16 years ago

Rust is cosmetic? I'll try to remmeber that one.

• dadoes
    16 years ago

*Technically* rust is cosmetic ... until it turns into a complete rust-through. Aren't automobile warranties for complete body rust-through, as in a hole ... not just rusting per se?

Those pics, however, are disappointing for sure. I vaguely recall reading somewhere that someone got their Oasis lid and/or machine top replaced due to rusting, with a concession from Sears that a manufacturing defect was involved. Dunno.

Personally, I'd sand the areas down and treat them with a rust-preventive/proofing paint. A replacement top may very well end up the same way, even if it takes longer.

But that's just me.

May I also say again that people often remark about Fisher & Paykel machines looking cheap with plastic lids/tops ... but they won't rust.

• fahrenheit_451
    16 years ago

What was the initial reason that you contacted Sears? Was it because you saw the rust on the internals of the machine or because rust was/is damaging the clothes you washed? Sears is most likely supporting their claim through stating the rust is not causing a malfunction with the washer itself. If rust is appearing on your clothing then Sears is wrong. If rust is appearing on your flooring then Sears is wrong. I do not know what State you reside in, or the conditions of Small Claims Court in your State, but it might be worth it to investigate as the fees to file at Small Claims are minimal. After a year and a half this does not look good on Sears part; maybe after a decade or so I might buy it, but not a year and a half.

• mutta
    16 years ago

Good job dMary on the pics! And for you people the deal is that our Oasis rusted like hers and we had two diff lids and tops replaced. The rust was getting into the wash and also fell into the suspension springs and made squealing noises while washing. You go ahead and take yours apart and paint it--------but why do you have to do that on a machine that cost close to a grand??? Sears should have spent another five bucks and painted it with real paint. Yep, we had our units replaced and were upgraded to the HE5t washer and dryer. Do not settle for
    cosmetic-----------what a joke that is..............

• dmary1235
    Original Author
    16 years ago

i contacted sears for the reason bleach was settling in my bleach dispenser and so my clothes had particles of rust on them..yeah..(cosmetic!!).Mutta you know what i mean,right?

• dmary1235
    Original Author
    16 years ago

oops sorry rust was in my bleach dispenser..

• fahrenheit_451
    16 years ago

Dmary, what is the warranty period on your unit? Mutta brings up an excellent point too regarding the comprising of unseen other components through rust.

• lulundave
    16 years ago

dmary,

WOW! Those pictures are sure shocking. I guess I will have my hubby look in our Cabrio Agi for signs like that of rust.(as it is the twin of Oasis)

Thanks for opening our eyes to this.

I do hope that 2008 brings you a resolution to your washer problem. That is just not right. Take care.

• dmary1235
    Original Author
    16 years ago

i have a 5 year warranty period..on my washer...lulundave...i hope you could check yours too..maybe its the same inside.let us know...thanks guys for your posts...

• dmary1235
    Original Author
    16 years ago

any one else with this problem?????love to hear about it..

• jcrowley99
    16 years ago

I was just asking mutta on another thread where her Oasis was rusted. I can see now that there are differences between the Oasis and my Cabrio HE. My Cabrio HE is 10 months old. The Cabrio is all white, outside and inside. Hopefully that will keep it from rusting. I didn't see any signs of rust or any water where it should not be (I checked after my fourth load of the day), I did find some dust though, and I refuse to start dusting inside my washer. I don't remember if the inside was painted on my old Kenmore TLer, but I never noticed any rust. These problems with Sears are why I own the Whirlpool Cabrio instead of another Kenmore (all I owned up to now). They charge way too much for extended warranties (which I thought would be a good idea with a HE machine) and they don't want to stand behind their products any more. I still buy Craftsman tools though, although I believe the warranty on those is not what it used to be.

• mutta
    16 years ago

Jcrowley99-----------if you can lift up the top of your washer(not the lid but the top that the lid is attached to)
    I am sure you will see rust like dMary's pics......your unit and the Kenmore are made by the same company.......and If your underside is painted I am happy for you..............if not..................good luck....

• jcrowley99
    16 years ago

I just looked inside the Cabrio again. The inside is almost entirely painted. The paint is obviously applied with a sprayer and there are a couple odd shaped spots that the sprayer obviously can't reach (obvious because they aren't painted white.) I don't know if the top of the Oasis is shaped the same as the top of my Cabrio with the glass lid. The Cabrio has these "fins" that go from the back to the front of the top, the glass top is recessed in between these fins. The fins are quite narrow at the back at get wider as you go toward the front of the machine. At the narrowest points of the fins, there is no paint inside of them. As the fins get wider there is paint at the bottom of them, but not on the sides of them. There is also one 1" wide strip on the back of the machine, just under the control panel, that is not painted. Sure hope the strip by the control panel doesn't get wet, I would probably have more to worry about than rust! A close examination of these areas revealed no rust. There might be some sort of primer but I can't really tell. I will keep an eye on those spots. I will continue to do what I have been doing and hope there are no problems, I always leave the lid open when it is not in use to allow the interior to dry out. I can't see any way the water could splash in those areas, but I guess you never know with all the movement in this type of machine.

I would post a picture of the inside of the Cabrio for you to see, but I can never get it to work. I have only managed to post a picture once. OK, my son did it for me! I wonder if the inside is generally painted on washers. All the others I have owned were Kenmore TLers, but I never looked for rust on the inside. Maybe this is the reason people sometimes have problems with rust spots on clothing after washing, not just rust in the water lines?

• dmary1235
    Original Author
    16 years ago

mutta is right ....look under the top,not the lid..and suprise..1000$ for a piece of junk..so how do you like these pictures?i e-mailed them to sears,but NOBODY responded..so what else is new..

• plumorchard
    16 years ago

I did take a quick peek at mine this am and guess what I saw next to the fabric softener corner....a little start of rust and some rust dust on the washer! Dang! So not worthy of what we paid for this set. I am disgusted and we will be calling to report this too.

• dmary1235
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks plumorchard...im glad that u responded..thanks to mutta he opened my eyes!i had no clue about the rust under the top..open your lid...go ahead and see..let us know,so we can all complain about the junk we spent a fortune on!

• plumorchard
    16 years ago

i'm really kind of afraid, but i will....(might be over the weekend!)

• dmary1235
    Original Author
    16 years ago

****update,not only do i have the rust,well the machine just started flashing me an f51..great!motor speed sensor,and the control timer have to be changed..isnt this ridiculous?

• dmary1235
    Original Author
    16 years ago

anybody check their machines?? love to know!

• lulundave
    16 years ago

dmary,
    no rust in my Cabrio agi yet...

• ebear1271
    16 years ago

I would check the warranty info on the washer and if you can't get it resolved consider small claims court. You can probably include any fees in the settlement amount. That is obviously some sort of defect and Sears is not willing to stand behind their product. These machines cost way too much money to let them get away with that.

• dmary1235
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks ebear1271 for understanding..do you own these machines too?

• dmary1235
    Original Author
    16 years ago

update these pictures are going to corporate sears...lets see what they have to say...!

• plumorchard
    16 years ago

We did not take the top off but I did look under the lid and around a bit and did see some rust spots and starting points. Let us know what Sears has to say...we really did pay too much for this and the performance of this set!

• dmary1235
    Original Author
    16 years ago

no problem plumorchard..ill keep in touch ..ill let you know what sears has to say!

• bmmalone
    16 years ago

Sears, hmmm. Had lots of problems taking to their service people and 'customer care' people. They both told me that i had to live with the dreadful smell in my washer. Then i went into the store. What a difference! Within five minutes a manager was arranging for a new washer to be delivered! In future i will have little to do with the people at the end of their phones, and go directly to the store. I would take your pictures into the store and see what happens. good luck

• dmary1235
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hi bmmalone,thanks for your advice i think im going to go to the store to get to the bottom of this...im really fed up with their responses,actually disgusted for so long..they call it customer service,yeah right!Right now my file is at executive sears...and so far no solution...you believe it?

• dmary1235
    Original Author
    16 years ago

update**** i went to sears yesterday and the appliance manager told me it not her decision to change the machine..i brought the pictures and all the info with my lawyer...its up to the parts and service director to decide..you believe this??????????these people are not normal...

• plumbly22
    16 years ago

Does one of your local television news stations have an local 'investigative' or 'action' reporter??? I'd check that route at this point... I know one of the Boston stations recently did a session on sears repair calls and how it was taking many multiple calls/appointments to finally get resolution... how they are short handed, etc... interviewed corporate people for it too... corporate people do not like to talke to these types... so it gets attention whne the news stations find their way to them... anyway, I think it's worth a shot...

• haley_comet
    15 years ago

Glad I read this - I was just about to buy the Oasis this weekend.
    Thanks to you all.

• czechchick2
    15 years ago

To me it looks like there might be small leak, maybe drip inside and that's why it's rusty. I had many leaky problems w/ my Supra and one of them was really small, it was from the hose inside. And when the washer spins, it shakes and the water/moisture gets away. I have rust spots inside now too but they never got through , it's been 6 years.

• rustedwasher
    15 years ago

I had the same rust problem but I believe I found the source and a fix. The tub has two small holes at the top that were used to fill some kind of balancing fluid. They installed plugs. If you look at them close enough you will see they are not level with the top of the tub. When the washer is filling the tub turns slowing clockwise and the water coming in hits the top of the tub and fans out. As the tub spins these two little dips come around, hit the water and cause a few drops of water to splash upward. Over time this creates the rust. The other part of the problem is the underside of the lid is not painted.

Fix #1. Remove the lid. Sand the rusted areas as best you can. Wipe clean. Use a rust preventing paint like Rust-Oleum. Apply at least two coats of paint to the underside allowing thirty minutes dry time between each coat.

Fix #2. Get some silicone for bathroom areas that will not shrink, expand, or mildew. Fill both of the little holes in the top of the tub. Use a credit card to pack it in the holes and smooth it out on top. Allow 24hrs for it to cure.

Fix #3. Leave the lid open when not using the washer. This allows the moisture to evaporate.

I have done these three things to my machine and it is still in the testing phase. Not a sure fix but it is working so far.