Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sum_1

Help...unwanted sparkles!

Sum_1
11 years ago

Hi there. I have a very strange laundry problem that I've been googling on and off for a few days, to no avail. I'd be very grateful if anyone knows or can guess what might be going on.

I've recently had to move back in with my mum (poor her, but it's only temporary) ;) Shortly after moving back in, my girlfriend pointed out that a t-shirt I was wearing was "sparkling" a bit. She took me under a light to show me and we noticed then that my jeans were as well. I'm not sure how to describe it, but it looked like millions of tiny fibers standing out against my t-shirt and trapped in my jeans. They're minute threads, lighter than the colour of the clothes, and they reflect light - almost like a glitter effect.

When I got home, I checked my wardrobe and found the same thing on all my clothes; in fact it's so obvious on the darker items, I'm not sure how I missed it before. I asked my mum about this the next day and she said it thy've been driving her crazy for months. She then pointed out that they transfer onto everything: cushion covers, pillow cases; even her ipad screen! She says they feel abrasive under her fingers when she uses her ipad, but is even worried when wiping them off with her microfibre cloth as...you guessed it...it's covered in them too! Everything in the house is sparkly!

My mum decided to throw out a couple of tops she owned that had glitter on them. She also owns a ten year old jack russell - though this only started happening a few months ago, so I don't think we can blame the wee lass. We're at a total loss as to what it might be, and in the meantime, we're both wandering around in shiny clothing! :P

Any ideas?

Cheers.

Comments (123)

• Cavimum
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Thank you snow creations for your chart linked above. We are on our second Tempurpedic mattress and have never had anything that resembles fiberglass or sparkles. Thank goodness. Our current one was purchased in 2011, but one never knows if the formula has changed since then.

• Anne
    4 years ago

I bought two of the Lucid twin mattresses on Amazon four years ago. After reading here I checked the tag and they contain fiberglass. Luckily they have stayed clean and I've never removed the cover and haven't had any problems. I had given one away and updated the person who has it to not remove the cover and that they should buy a mattress protector if they keep it. I'll probably replace the other one eventually, it's in a spare room right now and not used often. Thanks @jsnowcreations for the list. I'm shopping for a queen size now.

• sehguh
    4 years ago

(

• Ashley Trainer
    4 years ago

my house in currently covered in fiberglass from the same thing, and we have 3 small kids.

• Laura Yeates
    4 years ago

• chris T
    4 years ago

unwanted sparkles

My wife and i have fighting the same problem for 8 months.

My thought was the washer enamel coating was flaking off - not the problem it turned out.

3-weeks ago the electric clothes started taking twice as long to dry a load of clothes (GE Profile)

We called an appliance repair man before he started taking anything apart he explained that it was one of two problems #1 High Heat limit was bad #2 high heat electric element was burn't in in half turned out to be #2. After he removed the dryer drum and exposed the heating element the bottom part of the element enclosure was a quart inch pile of shiny flakes (fiberglass) these were from the material that supports the electric elements. it looked to me like it was get hot and breaking down and these fiber flakes were get in stuck in the clothes.

He said he could replace the entire heating element for $ 320.00 we decided to buy new washer and dryer.

Hope this helps.

• Katie Mondragon
    4 years ago

Hello everyone! I am new to this site and to this forum. My husband and I recently bought a new mattress and the old mattress cover was filled with fiberglass. We didn't realize this until we moved the mattress of our house and noticed our house GLOWING with fiberglass EVERYWHERE (it was even all over our fur baby). We ended up finding somewhat of a solution that I wanted to share so everyone else could at least try the same thing! We bought a carpet film (basically a huge lint roller) called Trimaco Easy Mask Protective Carpet Film from Sherin Williams (I'm sure other places have this or something similar) and have literally put it over EVERYTHING and it seems to have gotten rid of least 95% of the fibers that we have seen. We rolled it all over our carpet, our new bed linens, the bed itself, our clothes, the walls (my husband owns his own business, so he has a giant hepa filter vacuum that he uses, so he vacuumed the walls first) and then you pull it off and throw the plastic away. For the first time in a week, we both slept so well last night. I wanted to give everyone a solution. I hope y'all will try this and that you have the same luck that we have had with it. Please let me know if you have any questions and I will gladly answer.

• Sarah Torrella
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Same story here. We are stuck in quarantine, I decided to deep clean our house because we are both essential workers and I didn't want us to get sick. Took the mattress cover off to wash it, and looked at the care instructions and noticed it said "do not remove". Went to the original seller (Amazon) and found the comments about fiberglass. Of course this happens during a quarantine... so most of the mattress stores are closed and I don't want to ask someone to come into my home because I am a healthcare worker and I don't want to expose other people to the virus.

I am ordering a vacuum with a HEPA filter. I have to throw out the mattress, the frame, and all of our linens, plus some of our clothes. I have to sleep on an air mattress and then go take care of potentially sick people all day. Sucks to not be able to sleep in my own bed during this time.

I have contacted a lawyer and there is a class action lawsuit against Zinus.

To anyone else out there experiencing this... you aren't alone. Keep washing your stuff. It will come out eventually. Use the duct tape tricks and the apple cider vinegar tricks. Vacuum your carpets a million times with a good vacuum. Hopefully this lawsuit does something. I don't want people to have to go through what we are going through.

• ramounieh
    3 years ago

Hi ,did this really work %100?im facing this problem and trying to look for help ,can you please give some advice

• ramounieh
    3 years ago

Katie Mondragon

• HU-906147016
    3 years ago

My machine is brand new and the clothes are coming out with sparkles don't know what to do

• beaglenc
    3 years ago

Hu-906147016, if you haven't washed anything with glitter or made of fiberglass, call the store where you bought it and take it back. Also contact the company.

Do you have a memory foam mattress with a cover that you have washed? I believe most of those are made with f.g., you could be contaminating the washer as well as other clothing.

• Isabel Young
    3 years ago

Similar situation. I think we had what most people on here are experiencing. I had thrown in this zip cover mesh thing that was on my son’s crib. It destroyed all of our clothes. Stupid itchy sparkles on everything. I tried washing the clothes, I did about 5 washes and dries. It somewhat helped a bit but they weren’t completely gone. And there’s No way we were going to go through each article of clothing with tape. So we threw everything that was damaged away. I’m pretty disappointed, it was about two laundry baskets full of clothing that we had to throw away, we have a baby and a toddler and there’s no way I was going to take a Chance with them wearing itchy clothes (my toddler had already worn a shirt and he was crying, we didn’t know what was happening, and then figured it out) I didn’t know what was happening after the first initial wash, so I had done another load, and had mixed in some of the clothes that already had it, so it spread to even more clothes. Don’t know if this helps anyone, im not even sure what it was, if it was made out of Fiberglass or something else. Whatever it was, it was itchy and would NOT come off by repeatedly washing.

• HU-906147016
    3 years ago

Ithink it's the drum iv put washes on at 90 with no clothes in it to try clean it but still happening I only got the machine couple of months ago

• Megan Fitzpatrick
    3 years ago

How is it legal to have fiberglass in mattresses? I'm here to also say that I am a victim of a fiberglass explosion. It is EVERYWHERE. This happened during the quarantine so I couldn't go out and buy a new one - plus the IRS still hasn't sent me my $5000 return that I filed for in January (technically March because I had to send in additional forms). But geez, can i catch a break?

Question - do any of you have dogs? I have 3, and they are all suffering. I don't know how to get it out of their fur. Their fur is more coarse, you can see the fiberglass if you shine a flashlight across it. Thankfully it looks like it is more stuck to their fur versus embedded in the skin like it is for me. I have it in my skin (looks like ingrown hairs but full of tiny broken shards of fiberglass or it looks like web of hairs. It's hard to explain, but I uploaded a video of me removing it from my boyfriend's back here. (I made the video unlisted because I have a channel and this doesn't jive with my other content haha.) Essentially a line of glass touches the skin and everywhere it breaks, it embeds. We've had these things looked at under a microscope - some are hairs, which have a brownish tint & taper at the ends. Fiberglass is completely clear and blunt on the end.

My boyfriend thought I was crazy because I noticed this stuff first. I have sensitive skin & it was irritating me so badly. He had me feeling like I was insane. Then our 4 year old son started complaining about being itchy. I can pull it out of my skin. Then I started to notice a fuzziness to my face - extra hair and wrinkles? Sounds weird, but I can explain. The stuff is so sharp and the skin on my face is so soft that whenever it lands on my face it gets embedded in my skin. The best thing to remove that is exfoliating with something coarse, which is terrible fo your skin but my dermatologist is a loss.

I don't know how to get this out of my house, but now that I've confirmed with my dermatologist I am calling a lawyer. My renter's insurance denied my claim because they don't cover fiberglass damage. Such BS.

• Coral gardner
    3 years ago

I want to know how everyone is doing with all this? Any tips or advice? Updates?

• Jman
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

@Nate Herrmann & @codeSlob I have experienced the same thing and followed similar steps. I took it further actually. Bagged bed and everything else loose in room then removed all from room through window to avoid further house contamination. Removed the carpet. Vacuumed bare floor. Wet wiped all furniture each stage of the game. Painted the walls(was planned anyway). Vacuumed the bedframe(yes Hepa). Laid laminate. Did most under negative pressure (box fan fit to window). Was not seeing anything landing on furniture for a while. Decided to move back in new bed and now find a few stragglers on the sheets when I look very hard and close. My bed frame is rough and hard to fully wet wiped. My guess is some are left there.

My question is, do the rest of you still find the same if you look close? It's been 5 weeks of intense cleaning here and I'm starting to feel I'm going mad. Vacuuming like crazy and wandering the house at night with a flashlight. I understand with this type of thing 100% is not really possible, but when did you stop? I was sure I had cleaned the bedroom better than ServePro was going to and then found some on the new bed + sheets 😩

• codeSlob
    3 years ago

So sorry to hear that @Jman 😥 wow you went above and beyond.

I forgot to come back here and update. I had to throw the matress away after all because the shards go through the vinyl covers too. They are not the heavy duty vinyl I remember - very thin and rips easily. Waste of money.

The biggest help was the apple cider vinegar.. in the clothes washer for loose clothing items, and also adding the ACV in a wet vacuum cleaner I rented from Home Depot for the carpet. ACV apparently dissolves the shards a lot and non-toxic. Unfortunately, no amount of dry vacuuming helped, even with HEPA.

For surfaces I can't soak in ACV, like the walls and bed frame, I gently wiped them with a rag covered in pantyhose material.

The ACV washes and pantyhose wipes are the only methods that worked at all for me, and I don't see the shards anymore. Maybe try that on your sheets and bedframe Jman. Hugs.

• enduring
    3 years ago

I am so sorry this is happening. What about using that sticky wrap that can go down on carpet for protection, then pealing it off, and see if any more fibers come up. You could use it on your bed for example, and see if it helps on the rough surface.

• Nate Herrmann
    3 years ago

I saw one fiber a few weeks ago on a piece of furniture, but in general I feel like I got 95-99% of all the fibers. Did you paint or some how address fibers on your ceiling? Believe it or not I found plenty of fibers on the ceiling. The leaf blower took care of them for me. A few of the fibers also got sucked in the return vents on our hvac and dispersed to other rooms in the house. That could be a source as well.

It sounds like you got most of the fibers. The stragglers will dissipate over time with week to week sweeping, cleaning, and doing the laundry. I would not worry too much about a few stragglers. Inside our walls and ceilings are full of fiberglass insulation. Any time the house is under negative pressure there is a chance that a little bit gets sucked in. In general, they say fiberglass isnt as bad as asbestos because its not a barbed fiber and is less likely to get stuck permanently in your body. I still fully understand your concern and also want to limit my exposure.

• Jman
    3 years ago

Wow, you all are awesome. I've been going nutts (also driving my wife mad) with no one to talk to about this. Just talking to someone who has gone through it and your speedy replies are a calming in itself thanks!

To answer questions, yes I bought the carpet protector and used it, but find lint rollers to be a bit easier to use. We used endust and a rag on the bed when it was outside. I also used shop vac(bought a washable hepa for that too) on blow on it. For the ceiling I used a large lint roller I found on Amazon that fits over a paint roller. That could be flawed though in that unlike painting you can't tell if you missed a spot. The act of flapping my sheets over the bed might have dislodged them from the ceiling.

Deep down I think I've done more than the pros would have done for me, at least that is what wife and parents say. From here like you mentioned probably just deal with stragglers as they come and let good habits eventually get the rest in time. There is something about it though that is hard to know where to stop. My mind keeps telling me there is a treasure trove of it hiding somewhere that I'm going to track into the rest of the house that I managed to quarantine and keep clean. Perhaps because there is no clear done mark and the obvious uncaring profitearing companies who couldnt even instruct me on finding someone to help clean up !

I also did seal up my air return in that room 12 hours after the incident when I discovered what mess I had just stepped into. Checked the furnace filter (nothing to be seen) then replaced it. My mattress cover had "wash and care" instructions believe it or not, it even said I could wipe the inner cover with a damp rag if needed to spot clean (what serious explicative wrote that tag) I'm joining the class action with documentation of all this.

For those who care I found this household dust test. Sent it in on Monday to check unseen contamination two rooms away. I'm concerned for the kiddos. No results back yet. I will update when I get them.

https://indoorairtest.com/product/fiberglass-test-kit/

Thanks again, and sorry your struggles as well! I hope these companies are made to do right by those affected in their quest for a better bottom line and disregarding the well being of others to do it. That's YOU Zinus!

• Jman
    3 years ago

Beating this thread to death, but it's the only place I've found help from others with experience. I've fought this issue back as close to normal as I can. Only finding an errant fiber here and there. However, I still have the itch now and then. The rest of my family does not and I'm not sure if I'm just suffering the symptoms from the anxiety of it all which is still with me.

The rest of you that had contaminated clothing, were you able to get it clean? We ditched heavily contaminated items and attempted to wash items with very few fibers. I can no longer see it on clothing, but some clothing worn the day of the incident inevitably made it into the wash before we knew. So now I'm kind of questioning everything if I'm itchy any given day, which is more often than not. Also some clothing seems to naturally sparkle a bit (polyester threads maybe?) Which makes it difficult. I've mainly just been looking for those longer straight needle like fibers which are thankfully in short order.

• K Tsiribas
    3 years ago

The dryers are often placed in basements or mud rooms. People rarely think of, or do not know that the dryer is pulling air from a vent on the unit and blowing that same air into their clothes like a filter. The air intake vent is usually located behind the unit, where people rarely clean, because it cannot easily be reached. Since the air is pulled from the inside of the home and is then blown outside, it creates a negative pressure. Air needs to come from somewhere and homes are often air tight. This result in air getting sucked from your walls through light fixtures, outlets and wall switches. If someone has fiberglass behind their walls it will suck out microscopic glass fibers. If you have a vented dryer, that is a dryer that has a hose which runs to the outside where air is blown out, look for the air intake vent on your unit and be aware that the air filtering through your clothes is coming from that vent. Read this on another site. So check wall where silver piped vent is.

• Jman
    3 years ago

Yes, my house is setup that way. It is a modern tight house and I hope that my "make up air" comes from clean places like my furnaces fresh air intake etc. However I plan to have a pro come verify/rectify that after covid quarantine.

I got the results of my home fiber glass test which I performed after finishing the mitigation of my bedroom (mattress incident ground zero). The test found zero particles in a dust sample taken from a desk just outside the room. This at least verified for me that there is no significant source left. Not from the bed incident or being sucked in under negative pressure.

My main concern now lies keeping any leftovers hiding on missed clothing items from contaminating others. Also the decision, do I risk cross contamination trying to salvage items from the room that were only lightly contaminated. Does this stuff actually wash out or just get ground in?

• Nate Herrmann
    3 years ago

Some people said they had good luck using apple cider vinegar to get the fibers out of their clothes. We tried that with what i felt was limited success. We still have bins in the basement of some of the nicer clothes and bedding that were contaminated. I always think one day ill have time to lent roll them. i don’t think that the skin irritation that fiber glass might cause is toxic in any way. I suppose you are anxious about it getting inside the body. if you don’t see any sparkles inside or outside of your clothing, it is not contaminated. I was worked up over this for a few months as well, but got over it and moved on. We slightly crack a window to avoid negative pressure when we run the drier and we very rarely use bathroom vents.

• Jman
    3 years ago

What an F-ing mess. It seems trivial because it's just "things" but this screws with your sense of security in your own home which is diabolical. I have the same piles in the garage with the same plan. Perhaps you never got to them for the same reason, somewhere in the back of your mind you debate, "is it worth missing something and reintroducing that to my bed or other laundry" I'm not afraid, now that the air is clear, of health issues in clothing. Just afraid of contaminated clothing in the wash ruining other clothing and causing more on top of the thousands of damage already. "It's just itch" isn't really a positive/consoling though. It's like me punching you in the face on your front lawn and walking away. Then the ER Dr. Saying "well at least you werent run over by a car" as they stitch your nose back together. Seems like the person who punched you should be punished. Especially when they have so much $$$ that they'd barely notice after making restitution.

What an F-ing mess. It seems trivial because it's just "things" but this screws with your sense of security in your own home which is diabolical. I have the same piles in the garage with the same plan. Perhaps you never got to them for the same reason, somewhere in the back of your mind you debate, "is it worth missing something and reintroducing that to my bed or other laundry" 😩I'm not afraid, now that the air is clear, of health issues in clothing. Just afraid of contaminated clothing in the wash ruining other clothing and causing more on top of the thousands of damage already. "It's just itch" isn't really a positive/consoling though. It's like me punching you in the face on your front lawn and walking away. Then the ER Dr. Saying "well at least you werent run over by a car" as they stitch your nose back together. Seems like the person who punched you should be punished. Especially when they have so much $$$ that they'd barely notice after making restitution

I'm not afraid, now that the air is clear, of health issues in clothing. Just afraid of contaminated clothing in the wash ruining other clothing and causing more on top of the thousands of damage already. "It's just itch" isn't really a positive/consoling though. It's like me punching you in the face on your front lawn and walking away. Then the ER Dr. Saying "well at least you werent run over by a car" as they stitch your nose back together. Seems like the person who punched you should be punished. Especially when they have so much $$$ that they'd barely notice after making restitutionI'm not afraid, now that the air is clear, of health issues in clothing. Just afraid of contaminated clothing in the wash ruining other clothing and causing more on top of the thousands of damage already. "It's just itch" isn't really a positive/consoling though. It's like me punching you in the face on your front lawn and walking away. Then the ER Dr. Saying "well at least you werent run over by a car" as they stitch your nose back together. Seems like the person who punched you should be punished and make restitution. Especially when they have so much $$$ that they'd barely notice after making restitution for everyone. I think that would go a long way to speed how fast some people get over an incident and feel good again in their homes. Perhaps I sound winey, bit this really messed up your home/head. Especially with kids.

I'm close to joining the class action. Perhaps, just maybe, they will get enough to pay for a percentage of what was lost / damaged, I'm doubtful. Also likely will take years.

• codeSlob
    3 years ago

I'm so sorry you guys are going through this too. 😢 I know we lost over $1,500 on this mess renting and buying cleaning equipment and supplies on top of getting rid of stuff like the mattress (which wasn't cheap or old when it started shedding glass fibers) bedding and clothes, not to mention probably spending over 40 hours over the course of weeks on cleanup. Time we didn't have.

I also had panic attacks for the first few days which probably permanently messed up my health to some extent.

I can't believe they are allowed legally to put this stuff in mattresses including for babies. Ridiculous!

Wishing you all success, good health, financial and material wealth, love, joy and protection against these disasters in the future.

• Nate Herrmann
    3 years ago

I totally understand and share your sentiments. I wanted to sue them as well, but I wouldn’t have known where to start and I really didn’t want to invest more of my time or money to the situation. It made no sense to me why the cover was removable with a zipper and then why there were no warnings to not remove the cover.

I‘ll have to say, about 90% of the mattress industry is sleazy. What is required to join the class action lawsuit? I do have a bit more free time now that our son is older and work isn’t as hectic.

If you are looking to not get screwed by the bad apples in the mattress industry, I recommend doing research on themattressunderground.com

• Jman
    3 years ago

I found this firm, behind the class action. They were easy to get ahold of and the lawyer took the time to contact me personally when I reached out. He didn't just rush me off the phone and seem to really acre about it.

https://cuetolaw.com/practice-areas/mass-torts-and-class-actions/zinus-lawsuit/

It doesn't seem to take too much to join. Sign the contract and give them all the info you can on your product, experience, damages. Perhaps a couple hours at least to give them effective info to help the case. I personally am compiling everything, expenses receipts, pictures, a detailed log of my families ordeal. I want it to be known the impact this has had on people. Even our discussion here shows that beyond material damage it really has screwed with many people's feeling of safety and security in their own home. That is a big deal. Especially when it happened because some company was negligent in packaging hazardous materials in a bag that says virtually says "Open me". My cover had wash instructions and even said you could rub the inner cover with soap and water on a rag.

Case in point my kids just asked to build a fort in their room between the two beds and I'm mentally flipping out. "What if blankets pick up some of the errant glass I've yet to vacuum, etc". I shouldn't have to worry about this in our home.

I looked to pursue on my own. But sueing for only a few thousand in damages is really a big effort/cost in itself. Not likely to truely compensate for the loss in addition to the effort. Sad.

As form our replacement mattress. I went with foam by mail and ordered my own foam (According to the company, Certi-pure) and case individually. I know exactly what it in mine short of the foam creation process now.

• Vicky Lam
    3 years ago

My mom has been experiencing this problem for the last few months now. I had originally thought it was coming from her very old mattress/boxspring and have discarded it since. The carpet underneath the bed was covered in sparkles. However, there remains to be a tonne of sparkles still stuck in her clothes. She's tried washing them multiple times in apple cider vinegar, but it hasn't been effective. Lint rolling and using duct tape, carpet tape won't even lift up the sparkles from the clothes. The weird thing is that she'd wash and dry her contaminated clothes and inspect them with a flash-light and they seem fine. However, a couple days later after being hung or folded in a closet/dresser, the sparkles would reappear all over the same clothes. Has anyone else had this issue? Upon closer inspection, the sparkles are colourful. Which makes me wonder if it is even fibreglass anymore. They are green, red, and pink. I always thought that fibreglass would be clear. We are at our wit's end here, and it sounds like we need to throw out all her clothes. Anyone else have a similar experience? Can fibreglass particles be coloured?

• luna123456
    3 years ago

It depends on where the fiberglass is coming from. Many homes have blown-in fiberglass in their attic space. If there is air handling ducting in this same space that is no longer sealed it could pull fiberglass in from this space. If you don't have any mattresses with fiberglass then the other sources to look for would be:

- Furnace filters (Cheap ones are made with fiberglass)

- Blown-in Insulation in the attic.

- Fiberglass batt insulation in the wall that may be breaking down, etc.

- Handles on things like brooms, shovels, etc. Many are now made with fiberglass cores. If the handle is broken it can have the same effect. I only buy wood or metal handled tools now.

- Cement (Some cement now have fiberglass in it. This is widely used in cast stone planters (that you put flowers in). If it doesn't weigh a ton and is not plastic it most likely is fiberglass re-enforced cement.

Fiberglass is usually colored yellow or pink when used for insulation. Fiberglass furnace filters are usually blue. Even cheap HEPA filters use fiberglass internally to trap particles. The better filters are made with statically charged plastic like polypropylene. The only way to be sure of what you have in your clothes is to purchase a microscope that can enlarge the size of the fibers. Fiberglass is very easy to identify when seen under a microscope. Dino-lite makes inexpensive (and expensive) ones that you can connect to a computer via a USB cable. This makes it much easier to view and analyze what your looking at.

For new mattresses the best option is 100% natural latex core, 100% wool as the fire barrier and 100% cotton outer cover. You will pay more for this type of mattress, but it is not THAT much more. I bought my kids twin 100% natural latex mattresses, wool fire barrier and cotton cover for $499/twin mattress. You have to buy most of these online, but you can buy direct and get certification on the source of all materials used.

SleepEZ and Latex for Less are the two places I have purchased from. SleepEZ is the better option, but they also cost more. They have been around for a long time and assemble the mattresses themselves in Arizona. Latex for Less does the same, but out of a warehouse in California. Latex for Less won't disclose who they buy their latex cores from (probably because they buy from multiple places). If you get the ones with a zip off cover you can usually determine who made the core. It is usually Tallay Global (formerly: latex international), latex Green or one other company that escapes my mind. They do claim to source from one factory now in Sri Lanka so this may have improved. I purchased about three years ago.

• Liao Xu
    3 years ago

Guys, help needed! I also keep finding some sparkles on my clothes and other stuff - but how can I be sure that this is fiberglass? They do reflect the light, but someone wrote before that glass fibers stand against the surface that is contaminated, is this always the case?

The fibers I see do not stand against, but rather are stuck horizontally, so to say. Do you think it is fiberglass?

• armjim
    3 years ago

I have not read all of the posts, but I have been following this thread and a similar one off and on for years. It is very alarming, and I have made a point of mentioning to people to be careful about mattresses and why. Has anyone written about the possibility of glitter from their Christmas decorations being a factor? Our house is primarily wood look tile floors, and we go all out for Christmas. I noticed that first year it seemed like it took months to get rid of all the little things that were glowing when the right light hit them. What makes a big difference for us now is steam cleaning the floors afterwards. Someone mentioned the various colors of the sparkles and I immediately thought of the glitter that is so pervasive on these decorations.

• Jman
    3 years ago

That is a good point about sparkles and the time of year. I ruled it out when Liao mentioned "fibers" and the direction they lay. That to me seemed like he was seeing fibers with length. True glitter is usually square and flat.

If you examine really closely, or use a magnifying glass, fiber glass will present as a hair like shape with length and round cross section. In theory it could be ground into almost a dust, but you would still see some longer fibers mixed in.

I can say with my zinus mattress the fiber glass used is a very straight when it seperates / comes out and is a clear fiber. The broken, visible, pieces present as long, clear, pieces ranging from a few mm to an inch. They are clear in color and almost seem like a fiber optic needle under a flashlight.

I have noticed that other fiber glass in my house, such as pink bat insulation also present as long fibers, but again if you look closely, isn't as pin straight as the mattress stuff and has a slight pink hue. The pink hue is particularly noticable as more of them stack/cross over each other.

Lastly, I have noticed that there are some (just my guess) plastic / polyester based fibers that are quite shiney. Possibly coming from certain articles of clothing and carpet in our homes. These might be getting intermixed in the wash and kind of embed in our clothing. From what I observed these fibers are much more squiggly than fiber glass. If you can get ahold of it with a tweezer you'll be able to see it is much softer and doesn't spring back into its natural shape or fracture like the glass fibers will when bent.

• Christopher Wilder
    3 years ago

I am going though this same issue with my AcSeSleep mattress, which clearly advertises on their website “does not contain fiberglass”! This is crazy. I have started a lawsuit. If anyone else has an AceSleep mattresss , Please text me. 803-272-2556

• Rebekah Franks
    2 years ago

I bought a couch off of Marketplace, removed the clver to clean and saw a plastic sheet aeoun the cushions which began to rip so I threw it away, not thin much of it. The couch was in my garage. I used the leaf blower to clean out my garage and my dog often jumped onto the couch, laying diee onto the cushion. I then painted in the garage, the walls and ceilings which began the most horrible nightmare, as I was brushing fiberglass directly onto mt head. My hair is full of it. It runs down my body everytime I shower, collecting at m joints. Its a nightnightmare. .

• Zachary Hufnagel
    2 years ago

I haven't read the rest of anyone's comments but I'm dealing with something like this and this is from my mattress zinus mattress I bought online leaked out fiberglass and tire house has it everywhere including all of my clothes and has been the worst nightmare I've ever dealt with in my life because of the skin issues that came along with it for years I didn't know where it was coming from and thought I had something wrong with me hope this helps check your bed do not pop your head under there LOL just take a peek if it's a zinus mattress and check the tag it'll say there's a certain amount of fiberglass in there I am currently in a lawsuit due to it if it's it is and it's got a zipper cover on it you're welcome to jump on in with us!! No just FYI the fiberglass colors from the mattress are yellow and brownish sometimes if they're embedded in the skin they do change like color I believe picking up dust dirt and the clean parts or I believe clear as he stated above needle and clear and there is a huge lawsuit on part of the original group involved in it it has literally destroyed years of my life issues I'm sitting right now in a car my truck at the hospital cleaning my skin for like the 15th time this year due to this,! If you have the Zionist mattress and it says it contains fiberglass it has a zipper on the cover regardless with the tag says the zipper indicates to the owner that the cover can be taken off by you and should if need be because it has a zipper it indicates that that's part of the lawsuit just so you know it'll say spot wash only but that's okay it's still part of the lawsuit sorry you guys are all dealing with this I understand and good for you for starting a lawsuit about that I just read your comment!! I would suggest a law firm if you're interested they're the ones that are doing the sinus one it's I'm pretty big one and the litigation environmental litigation group is a huge part of it as well and it being the same type of issue man it would be too perfect email me at zhufnagel626@gmail.com then let me know who you are and what the email is about and I'll give you the law firms name who's taking care of this one

• HU-793697912
    2 years ago

It’s not fiberglass….you’ll eventually realize it’s 3 times thinner than a thread, looks like lint and actually moves. I’m a Microbiologist and it makes no sense. The pricking and biting… its the string entering your body like a parasite. The strand has a plastic look but moves especially at one end. It has characzteristics siniliar to a fungus , causes fungal health issues (athletes foot, yeast infec, etc.) but its not a known fungus. It acts like a parasite with life cycles (pin worms, etc) because it does go away but returns worse months later. It once was removed with certain disinfectants, but slowly became resistant to them over the years. I can say it spread easily… vinegar, baking soda and any antidandruff products works… it reacts to salt- like products, methanol (icy hot), sulur and empson salt. They do work. I think something mutated or some type of species mixed to create this. It has too many properties from various sources that dont fit in one category. CDC couldnt even tell us… reports from an investigation still arent published. I can say that this will drive you crazy but there’s something its attracted to in some people and not others. That will help things if we knew. Also , notice it more when in places that had water damage or something.

• HU-574154226
    2 years ago

ive had the same problems bought a nectar matress which i unknowingly took cover off. ive had terrible skin problems and numerous other unexplainable allergies... i also bought 2 twin memory foam matresses for my kids all during pandemic all 3 had fiberglass socks... ive been removing everything out of my house all week. its been terrible. HU are u ralking about the fiberglass in the beds?

• Pleshette Jolly
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

It is not fiberglass at all. It stings me at times but not my daughter or anyone eles that I know. They is gold or sliver glittler everywhere. But i have also seen red and green glitter as well.I have been working on this problem for about 40 weeks now and I can honestly say I am going out my mind. It seems to be growning more and more. I have spent so much money on product's. My Electricity and Gas bill have gone through the roof. I have even had a pest control person out to my house twice and he didn't know what it was. He sprayed my house the first time and the second time he sprayed and gased it and yet I am still dealing with this problem. I don't know how it got into my home but it's a living nightmare. I am scared for my mental heath because I have worked so hard at trying to get rid of the problem 24 hours a day. I have steamed, vacuumed and sprayed and for this to turn out to be a waste of time. This WILL SEND YOU CRAZY THATS FOR SURE. Please if ANYONE knows any answers to remove this glitter problem please let me know. Thank you.

• Jamie Jones
    2 years ago

I had a zinus mattress. We had a drink spill on it a few hours ago so I took off the liner and put it in the wash and put the mattress in the tub to clean, I am now seeing that I was not supposed to do that. I became itchy after doing so, but I am not seeing any fiberglass anywhere. Am I ok, maybe got lucky? Because it sounds like it it had gotten out I would be able to see it and I can't find any when I use a flash

• Babette Tasse
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

These are from your fabric dyer sheets they are spider mites when you use the dryer sheets they release into your clothes i was going nuts too cause my boyfriend noticed it first i though he was goung crazy but he found a article on it spider mites laying larva (eggs) in the factories where they make the dryer sheets, shiny like hair and it moves and you can see the little eggs on it GET RID OF YOUR DRYER SHEETS USE LIQUID SOFTNER Lysol spray

• Jordan Sayler
    2 years ago

Me too! whatvis this?!

• Zachary Hufnagel
    2 years ago

Do you own a ZINUS mattress that you took the cover off and washed ?? If so read the label it will say 65% or some stupid number made of fiberglass materials!!!! I'm in a lawsuit due to it look it up if you do I'm guessing it's from some furniture you have if not the mattress home that helps

• Jordan Sayler
    2 years ago

These curtains are at least 20 years old. they came standard in my RV. im pretty sure they are the culprit.

• katesavage
    last year
    last modified: last year

Morgellons …sorry everyone, but all too real. morgellons fibers are uv-detectable and motile, and totally unknown in origin. Fiber moving on its own here.

• jules17x
    last year

I’m currently dealing with sparkles that feel like fiberglass on my skin that causes itching, stinging, and sometimes almost crawling. They are all over clothes, sheets, and my cat. Everyone seems quite insistent this is fiberglass because that seems like obviouse, pragmatic, reasoning however there is some evidence and current studies out there that this may be a biological problem. If you seem to have fibers coming out of your skin and glittery substances all over your house and body you might want to do some research on morgellons. It’s disturbing as hell but better for people to be aware and educated about this so it can be recognized then believe they have a house full of fiberglass that will never go away.

• armjim
    last year

I remember the first time I heard about morgellons-it was when singer-songwriter Joni Mitchell said she was suffering from it. It makes for interesting reading and review. In the meantime, do research on fiberglass contamination. Mattresses and various window coverings are comprised of it, and it is difficult to rid a home of it once it is introduced. It has made me vigilant in looking at the label contents of anything we intend to bring into our home.

• Heidi S
    last year

I just want to say thank you to Jman above - I was really losing my grip on reality to be honest thinking every shiney fiber was fiberglass. But they were all tiny and squiggly, and I think just polyester.