Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zazutoo_gw

Non-Miele W/D choices

zazutoo
13 years ago

I don't want to enter the Miele debates or discussions. I cannot afford a Miele.

But I need a W/D. I'd like front loaders that are stackable. It don't want to spend more than $1200 each. The household is an adult and two kids. I don't do huge amounts of wash but like to wash the blankets and comforters at times. I don't need a huge amount of bells and whistles, and need to know about the real use of the steam options that I am seeing. Also, I've always had a gas dryer but one salesman was telling me that gas offers few advantages. Any opinions about that.

I know there are other post on this topic but the ones I've found all seem to sooner or later advise that Miele is best. As true as that may be, $1200 is my top and I'd really like to stay below $1000.

Thanks for the help.

Suzanne

Comments (5)

• sshrivastava
    13 years ago

I've read opinions here and there that the LGs appear well made, although it's been a long while since I've seen one up close. The Bosch Vision series looks very nice on paper. From what I saw at the store I would stay away from Maytag and Samsung. Electrolux and Bosch might be the best non-Miele alternatives that still give you great functionality and quality at a lower cost.

• larsi_gw
    13 years ago

I would look at Bosch (although it was said on our board, the Bosch is pulling their new, larger machines out of the USA market). I do not like some of the plastics Bosch uses, but they are not worse than a lot of front loaders.

LG and Samsung, like sstava said, get a lot of good reviews.

Whirpool Duet (some are even still made in Germany) are very popular. I have 2 friends that own Whirpool Duets, and they LOVE them. 3+ years and not one problem!!

Good Luck!

• gates1
    13 years ago

I have a LG gas dryer that I love, its brand new. Ive had gas dryers now for over 10 years, due to the high electric rates in this area. It dries faster than any electric dyer that I have ever owned. Including when I first switched to gas, so its not due to technology advancements. There is no smell, no scortched clothes, even in my 10yr old one that I just replaced. It will dry a full load of towels in about 40-50 minutes max and they are thick towels too. If gas cost more than electric in your area, then go with a electric model

• bigdogmom_pa
    13 years ago

I'll be getting my new Bosch Vision 500 set next Monday. I will give a full review after I get to run a few loads. I chose them for the water temps, internal heater that works on all cycles(except cold of course) and the fact that I love, love, love my Bosch DW. If you have time you can wait for the review.

• User
    13 years ago

I've had the Bosch Nexxt washer and gas dryer for 3 years and I really like them. I've never had an electric dryer so I can't really compare.

The one thing about the dryer is that if you want your clothes really really dry, you'll need to set it at very dry and not regular dry. Regular leaves them very, very slightly damp which is fine for clothes that you're hanging up, but not for things you're folding.
    It also tends to roll sheets up in a ball which I find rather annoying.

I've washed all sorts of things with the wool cycle, husband's dress slacks , unlined wool coats and they come out beautifully. I also love the hand wash cycle.
    The temp on my xxsanitry cyle is 170 which, I think, is higher than most of the other washers. I also really like the jeans cyle. They come out not wrinkled at all.
    It seems that it is very gentle on my clothes.

I find the end of cycle buzzer a little annoying because it buzzes so frequently. You don't have time to get in there before it buzzes again. My husband calls it the impatient little German.

My house is on a crawl space and I find there is a great deal of vibration during the spin. YOu can feel the vibration in the room upstairs that is directly over the laundry room.
    My daughter has a duet set and she had a major repair, $500 , when it was just 2 1/2 years old. And just this weekend she was telling me she has been getting these tiny little holes in some of her things