Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karencon

Dryer Vent Box...i'm confused

karencon
11 years ago

Hi all. Do dryer vent boxes exit through the wall? I can't find anything that shows the outside exit. There must be a 90 degree angle at the other end of the box. Yes? Is that a lint collection risk?

Comments (6)

• georgect
    11 years ago

Depends on what you are talking about.

There are dryer vent boxes that are built into the wall (recessed) which accepts a dryer hook up and is vented to the outside of the house.

Then there is a cheap plastic box that the dryer vent hooks up to. It may hold some water to help collect lint (but doesn't do to well at it) and is NOT vented to the outside of the house. All the moisture is allowed into the house (not recommended).

First picture, a real dryer vent box vented to the outside.
    Second picture, the cheap dryer vent box that holds some water and vents inside your house.

This post was edited by georgect on Thu, Jan 31, 13 at 9:29

• karencon
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thankyou Georgect. Yes it is the first picture posted. I just wondered how they were vented through the wall and I finally was able to see the picture online. There is a 90 degree where is exits the outside wall. DH explained that becuase it was "hard pipe" the risk of build up was less.

• rickharp
    11 years ago

Something to consider...
    If this wall is an exterior wall:
    Does the wall thickness adequate for an elbow, 2x4 (no way), 2x6 maybe...
    are you in a cold climate, if so, with no or little insulation, box will condensate and freeze and make puddle.

If an interior wall, then likely no condensate issues and no need for an elbow. Model 350 or 400 for 2x4 construction. Model 425, 480 or 4D for 2x6 walls.

dryerbox.com
    Good luck

• karencon
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow Rick, thank you for mentioning this. I love GW forums.
    This would be an outside wall..........2x6 construction and we are a waterfront location in southern new england.
    After meeting with the plumber last night, we may be building a 2x3 interior wall against the outer wall to accomodate washer pipes and drains. Maybe the box should go in that wall as well, although it takes another few inches from the room which we were attempting to maximize by using the box in the first place. So now I am wondering whether we should just do a straight shot out through the wall which we have always had in the other dryer location.

• rickharp
    11 years ago

I like the idea of the "double wall" not only for the room for the dryerbox, but for the washing machine plumbing that requires adequate separation from the cold wall.

Use this link to determine the best model Dryerbox for your new room.

http://www.dryerbox.com/choose.htm

• karencon
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you again Rick. That sounds like a plan.