Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
don't buy a samsung washer or dryer

Posted by monaw (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 20, 10 at 20:34

I am in the market for a new set so I called my trusty repair guy to get suggestions. After all, who would know better then the repair guy which brands fail the most?
He told me that Samsung was the absolute worst, and the parts looked like toys that come out of CrackerJack boxes.

Good luck to all of you that own Samsung washer and dryer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: don't buy a samsung washer or dryer

I just ordered one this afternoon. My dealer who I have been using for years said Samsung has had the least problems from the ones he sold.

I also stopped at another store first and I dealt with the manager of the department. He also said they have had few problems.

What are the problems?

o

I got the Samsung 219 front load washer and dryer. I returned the first one and got another one. Have'nt had to have repairs, but i can tell you that if i could go back and get something else, i would. I can say that the washer has the most balanced spin i ever had, but, it is also the loudest washing i have had. It is louder than the top loader i had. I can hear it 3 rooms away with the sloshing noise. I had read good things about them and i found ONE good thing. I don't know if the higher priced ones would be better, but i am very disappointed in these. The dryers also have a hollow drum sound when on and they are not all that either. Can only cross my fingers that they last long enough to pay them off!!!!

o

There is not much difference in any of the washers and dryers these days. They are all built very poorly with really cheap plastic parts. The inards are basically the same for a particular brand but the price can triple if you want to add some flashy gadgets like an LCD screen and steam(dryer...which is useless IMHO)...

Although the price is quite a bit higher, I would highly suggest comparing the build quality and component quality of a Miele unit to Samsung, LG, Bosch, GE, etc...IMHO it's worth it to pay a bit more for the Miele.

LIP2000

o

My discussions with a family friend whose an appliance repairman led me to believe that there wasn't a lot of difference in build quality amongst most mainstream brands. Each has its' own proprietary features which distinguish each brand. He told me less is more - less the machine does the less there is to go wrong. Parts are easier to get for a lot of domestic manufacturers (even if their product is manufactured elsewhere) which tends to make those brands more popular with repair people.

o

> There is not much difference in any of the washers and dryers these days. They are all built very poorly with really cheap plastic parts.

> You know what people say about opinions...they are like ****, everyone has one!

o

Sadly as my repairman said, appliances are not made the way they used to be. "Mom's Kenmore was not the same as today's Kenmore". He has been repairing appliances for 15 years and notices a major difference in how they are built. He also mentioned that "Less is more", and when the "Motherboard" goes, that's a major expense. They are literally built with the intention to last about 5 years. Lip2000 is right on....and that's the reason why I bought Miele ovens and Miele dishwasher. I am about to buy Miele W/D. I'm willing to pay more for something that will last 20 plus years. If I have to wait a few days for a certified Miele repairman to come out, then so be it. Chances are I won't be calling them very often.

o

monaw, don't you think that your header is a bit extreme for "hearsay" evidence from your ONE repairman?

I'm not trying to start anything, but after TONS of research I settled on Samsung 328. The washer is 100000% better than my previous GE on vibration.

No, I don't expect the machines to last 20 years, but nothing does anymore.

o

Karlau, it wasn't just one repairman. I've done my homework too because I am in the market also and want a machine that will not only perform well and save energy, ...but will not break down earlier than normal wear. I know two couples with Samsung problems (new) and also know someone who knows someone that despises their Samsung because of all the problems they have had with their practically new machines. I guess that, coupled with the honest opinion of my repairman has swayed me away from Samsung. To me, it appears that the looks are beefed up but the insides are made of cheap parts that break sooner than they should. I could be wrong, but what I have read and heard scared me away.
I wish you all the best, and I hope that you have carefree ownership!
Did you see these complaints in all the research that you did?:
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/samsung_washer_p2.html
Maybe Samsung has improved quality control. If you haven't purchased yet, you could always call 3 or 4 local repairmen and ask them what they think of Samsung. They get to look at the guts, and they know which brands have the most problems.

o

I've had my set for about 2 years with absolutely no problems with near daily use. I don't baby them either. The washer does spin almost completely vibration free and is very quiet.

I did read the complaints. Not surprised, I've read similar complaints about most every brand out there. Actually the web site cited did not have that many complaints considering the number of machines in operation.

I am sure the Miele machines are great but I purchased my Samsung on a really great sale at about 1/3 the cost of Mieles. The way I see it I can use these for 10 years and buy new ones if need be and still be money ahead. I do have a Miele dishwasher and it is nice but I have had a service call on it. Something I never had with my old GE. It was a minor problem and the Miele is still a great machine. On the other hand if you want to discuss my personal experience with my Monogram refrigerator problems I'd be happy to.

o

I hated to spend the money but I just ordered the Miele 4842 with dryer.

I am replacing a Kenmore washer and dryer that I have had for 9 years. During that period I have probably spent around some $800 in repairs to keep them going. Mind you, the set was about $900 new. There has not been one year that has gone by that I haven't had to call a service man. The service calls are not cheap! Last year spinning went out on washer and it was nearly $200 to fix a $450 washer. Now it is going out again, one year later. The way I see it, I have payed for TWO washer and dryer sets over the past 9 years, and now I still have to buy a new set. It is just my husband and myself so I do little laundry compared to most.
Of course there are complaints about all brands, but compared to all others, I have found very few for Miele. I also own their ovens, dishwasher, and vacuum. The ovens are new but the dishwasher is 5 years old with zero problems and cleans beautifully. Our last Maytag lasted 4 years.
We have had to call Miele for an issue with one of our ovens, and received excellent service. We have called them many times to ask questions also, and they have been A+. I know there are complaints. In Atlanta, they have been great.
Anyway, I'm crossing my fingers that I will be as happy with Miele washer/dryer as I have been with their other top notch appliances!

o

I talked to two different repair guys this week and both said they haven't seen many problems with Samsung. I also don't take "hearsay" to heart. Some people are very picky and a big deal to them is very minor to most of us.

So, I do get upset when someone posts "Don't buy" when they haven't had any experience with the product. The internet can be a good thing but I have found that you can't believe all of it. More people seem to complain than people with good experiences.

o

You are going to get problems with any brand, even a premium brand, like Miele.
However, there are two things that set's company's apart:
1. Design, quality of components and build quality
2. Local support

Even if you get #1, you might still have a problem and if you don't have #2, you are SOL. However, if you have great #2, it's still a pain if you don't have #1.
Miele, here in my part of Canada is head and shoulders above anyone else for both #1 and #2.
Samsung, in all honesty, is no worse than LG, GE or 90% of the rest in #1, but that's not a good thing as they are no better either. Here in my part of Canada, they are not very good at #2 either.

Just another opinion...ignore it if you please...

o

We bought a Maytag washer in May 1987 and it is still going and has never had a repair problem. We have to put a plastic card in front of the button that turns the machine on after filling (no parts available to replace it) and that's it.

We are selling our house and I am loathe to give up that washer after reading about washers being manufactured now. DH thinks I'm silly and is insisting that we can buy a new machine as it's been almost 23 years.

I am just wondering how many more years we will have with our present machine or whether we should just take our chances with a new one. Either way, it will probably be just a few years before we have to buy another, but if we keep our Maytag, we will be several hundred dollars ahead until that time.

o

dockside, wow...that's something! When Maytags really used to be Maytags, they were built like tanks. Just think of all of the landfills that would be spared if washing machines were still made that way, not to mention the energy it takes to keep producing more poor quality machines with an average life span of 5 years. My Mother had a Kenmore for over 20 years.
I ran across this very interesting site that pretty much explains what's going on in the washing machine world... The article was written in UK, but the same "symptoms" apply to us in U.S. :
http://www.washerhelp.co.uk/buying-advice-1.html

o

dockside, if I were you, I would definitely hang on to that washer! I would keep using it until it dies. Hopefully it will give you many more years of excellent service. As you so accurately stated, the longer you use your present washer, you'll save that much money in the long run.

monaw, the article you linked was very interesting. I've heard so much about "superior" European washers, it's interesting indeed to learn that Europeans are having similar problems to problems Americans face.

The only point with which I disagree is this (copied and pasted from the article):

Most current washing machines are way too cheap

That article spoke of washing machine prices going down -- I haven't seen that happening here. The only "cheap" washers I see are bare-bones non-HE TL's with one speed and no dispensers. They are water and energy hogs. Even the current ones' water temps are dumbed down.

I agree with your assessment of earlier washers. It was commonplace in the '70s and '80s for washers to last more than 20, even 30, years. I knew women who had spent their entire married lives using one washer and getting great results with it.

I bought my first washer in the early '70s, a GE FilterFlo which today is acknowledged as having been one of the very best, yet it was not expensive -- much less expensive than Maytags, which were the Cadillacs of that day snd also tended to last virtually forever.

o

monaw,

I have three Maytag toploaders stashed in my garage that are older than dockside's 1987 unit. Two are 17 years older (1970), the other is 12 years (1975). One of the 1970 machines needs repairs (the tub bearing/seal is worn and leaking), the other two are usable (although they also have had minor repairs).

In regards to "new" machines lasting only 5 years, that's not assured to be the case. How recent of a machine do you consider to be one that'd self-destruct after 5 years of use? mara_2008 above mentions '70s and '80s machines lasting 20 to 30 years. I have a 1999 Fisher & Paykel (10+ years old now) that has never needed repair, and also a 2004 F&P. My parents have a 1994 KitchenAid (Whirlpool) that has had a few minor repairs (drive coupler, agitator dogs, lid switch) but certainly hasn't been unrepairable.

o

back in 1999 and 1994 they used to build much better machines.
Times have changed. Ask any repairman.

Washing Machine Reviews
CR Best Buys In Price & Performance Get our Expert Ratings and Reviews www.ConsumerReports.org
"A normal life span of a modern washing machine is about 5 years. This is because in today's time people prefer to buy a new washing machine rather than repair it, as the gap between cost of repairing a washing machine and cost of buying a new machine is decreasing every year. Also, due to the availability of newer models every year, people also prefer to update their washing machine even if there is a slight problem with their machine. As oppose to the olden times, when manufacturers sold high quality washing machines and then provided services to take care of the machine through out its life span, nowadays modern manufacturers want to sell their washing machines in bulk. Hence, the prices are cheaper but the quality is also poorer. Hence, the life span of a washing machine automatically decreases".

o

CR essentially is saying that people chose to buy a new machine instead of repair, not that repair isn't possible. With parts readily available online at reasonable prices, and repair info also available (including videos on Youtube), many common repairs are DIY ... IF people would choose that route. There's no justification to throw out a 5-year-old machine because of a broken $20 drive coupler (equivalent to a belt), but people do it all the time and then blame the manufacturers for poor quality. Ridiculous!

As for machines of yore being more reliable ... not necessarily. I recall that the 1962 Whirlpool my parents had when I was a child went through numerous repairs, including replacing the main bearings and shafts TWICE in the 14 years it was in the household. Their 1994, almost-16-years-old KitchenAid/Whirlpool is still running with the original bearings. Sure, that's a machine manufactured 16 years ago, but it's 32 years forward from the 1962 machine.

o

dadoes, I agree and disagree. My mom's '60s and '70s era Hotpoint washers were not nearly as reliable as Maytags of that era or my GE FilterFlo washer -- yet she continued to have them repaired often until she broke down and replaced them with the same old same old because they were "cheaper".

When I married, I had no idea which washers were best and am very grateful my DFIL steered me to an old buddy/washer repairman who could give me sage advice.

At the same time, there's some truth to this:

"...the gap between cost of repairing a washing machine and cost of buying a new machine is decreasing every year."

It seems to me that perhaps the main contributing factor to this is the "throwaway", "disposable" society America has become in the last few decades. From diapers to appliances (even marriage! OT for this forum), many Americans would rather dispose of things (and people) than trouble themselves with maintenance.

I see other factors too -- electronic components are much more intimidating to the average DIY guy than simple machine parts (and expensive, as well) -- but to me this is a real biggie.

o

I found the following on "fixitnow.com" which is a great site to go to to get advice on appliances as well as how to fix them. This advice comes from those who work on these appliances. Someone asked a question about buying a Samsung washer and these are a couple of replies:

PM Quote Reply
9th Post
fixit guy
Scholar of Advanced Appliantological Studies

Flavorite Brew: Homemade wine
The Samsung washer is a techincal piece of headache. Your husband would have to be knowlegeble on front load washers to repair this one. The samsung is about the same washer as the Maytag Neptune as I believe that Samsung made them. I used to do warranty work for Samsung until I found out that some of their products are so poorly engineered they can't be fixed.

My 2 cents...........

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

Posted: Mon Feb 16th, 2009 09:21 pm
PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Scottthewolf
Sublime Master of Appliantology

Flavorite Brew: Dunkin Donuts Coffee
Please do not buy the Samsungs, they really are pieces of junk. Buy the Whirlpool Duet Front loader and the matching Duet dryer, they are much more durable, more reliable, almost every servicer will service them and parts a available at any appliance parts store. With Samsung, expect to get a hole in your dryer drum after a couple of years with the paper thin metal. Also, the Samsung Silvercare washer is under review by The EPA for being hazardous to your health. DON"T BUY THE SAMSUNG OR THR LG! STICK WITH WHIRLPOOL!

Scott Wolf

____________________ANYWAY,....hope this helps someone in choosing a washer and dryer! Good luck!

o

I've looked through that message board, and take it all with a grain of salt. Some of the repair advice given is from service techs who obviously are knowing and experienced. Some of it I've seen to be outright wrong. Not to mention that many of the topic threads are difficult to follow, with confusing or badly-written responses.

Samsung did not make all Neptunes, just a particular version of it during the run of the Neptune product line. It was sold under a couple model numbers, MAH6700 and MAH9700 (perhaps others). The original MAH3000, the 2nd generation MAH4000, and then the MAH5500, 6500, and 7500 were not Samsung.

o

Woah....I have a feeling that you'd be taking a broom to me if I were within distance.....

Someone is having a bad day.
We're only talking about appliances.

I wasn't aware that everything I said was going to be critiqued. Do I care? Not at all.

I do think it's rather entertaining to see how heated some people can get towards someone they Know nothing about over silly appliance talk.

We're in the quest for consumer knowledge here- not to get grumpy.
You might try softening your approach a bit. Try smiling when you post your responses.

Anyway dadoes, I hope you have a nice day. Thanks for all the important info.

o

The repair techs main points on that forum are always:
- parts availability
- support from manufacturer
- quality design and quality components used

You can choose to ignore what they say and perhaps in some cases it's valid to do so...however, they do often get it right...

o

Mona, I think you're misreading Dadoes's tone. He does indeed take this stuff very seriously, just what you'd expect and indeed want from a regular on a forum like this. Actually it's not fair to call him just a "regular", since he knows far more than most of us. But I've never known him to scold anyone.

o

Thanks suburbanmd-

Perhaps I have read him the wrong way.
I rarely contribute to these threads, but just thought I would pass on the info that I have learned in my search for new washer and dryer. I really appreciate and consider the posts that everyone contribute to these threads. I always come to Gardenweb when considering a new appliance, among other things.

Mr. Dadoe is perfectly fine to give his opinion. I have no problem with that.
However, I do believe that he could take a lesson in expressing himself with a little humility.

o

My own repairman tells me that Samsung does NOT pay their repairmen in less than 6 months, so the repairman refuse to work on them.

o

I looked at a couple of Samsungs at Lowes. I opened the pin trap door on one and the little plastic pins that hold it in place snapped right off. I opened the pin trap on another Samsung unit and the same thing happened. They look nice, the technology is cool, but the build quality leaves a lot to be desired. I would never buy one.

o

I have a pair of the samsung. I love them. I also bargined and got the better set for the same money. There were a lot of sales at lowes. THey also rated very high with consumer reports.I would buy them again in a flash. Mine also has the stainless steel drums.

o

What is the pin trap door?
The problem with 90% of all appliances these days is that they are built with garbage components designed to last a few years. People can argue all they want that this brand is better than that brand but in reality there are only a few brands that sell quality product in North America. The same companies like Samsung, Siemens, Electrolux are not selling the same products in their home markets...

o

All models of washing machines have their problems...I'd love to see a poll on this forum of everyone's washing machine models and brands and how many problems that they've had, and compile this into a spreadsheet. Including a numeric rating from 1 to 10 of the owner's general feeling about their washer's reliability. Personally, our family of 4 has had a Kenmore FridGEmore model that cost about $500 for 9 years with no problems yet. A goodly part of the reason that we chose that model was because it is on the simpler side, still run by electronics, but few bells and whistles.

We all hear about the ones that aren't working, I'd like to find out about the ones that are. "Don't buy a ..." is nice and all that, but I can't believe that the only company that makes a washer worth a darn is Miele.

-Roger

o

No matter what brand of Washers your looking at, they all run a risk of breaking down. What upsets me is when I read about control boards going out in no time at all, and so forth. I can tell you this. Before I was laid off from my manufacturing job, ALL company's hire the supplier of parts who give them the lowest bid. In some cases, this can effect the quality of a product. All whirpool does, for instance, is assemble the machines in the factory. Yes the parts are made to Whirpool specs and so forth. This goes for every company out there. I personally know people who own LG, Kenmore, and Maytag (Neptune) FL's None of them have had a repair needed on there machines and the newest one is 3 yrs old, my parents have it. Its a known fact that people who have a problem with anything they buy, will get on the internet and dog it, much faster than someone who is having great luck with their purchase. In the case of washers, people will abuse them, think they can toss every sheet and blanket from 5 beds in one, then complain why it doesnt wash or rinse properly, much less spin smoothly. Why do some people have mold and smell issues and others dont?? Think about it people...

o

Gates.......

Very good point.....Some will take the time to come on and praise their machine, but almost all will come on the internet and dog it if it's not working......Thus we read all the negative and little of the positive.....Good point.

o

I am looking for updates for members who are happy with their Samsung Washer and dryer and those members not happy.

o

I thought I would wait for the 6th month mark before posting a review but I'll jump into the fray. I have this pair:

DV665JW

WF-J1254

Photobucket

Photobucket

Pretty much the least expensive front loading apartment sized pair I could find. They are stripped down version of the Maytag pair which in my research were running at 2x the price (these are made in the same factory and look identical to the Maytag pair). Beyond needing stackable units and the smaller size (I had both a width and depth restriction) I also needed a reversible door on the dryer. Reviews were very mixed on the washer - biggest issue was leaking around the detergent drawer that had an easy fix - don't open the taps all the way (quite a few complaints about this despite a reference to the issue on the FAQ section of the Samsung website - excellent example of why you need to take Consumer feedback via the internet with a grain of salt) Other main issue was with a 1200rpm spin capacity was some found it to be a walker. I bought a set of vibration dampening pads and I don't have a problem. Components vary in quality - buttons and knobs seem decent but the bottom is actually coroplast and top is a laminate over particleboard (all things that were apparent in the store so no surprises). These units have been around for a bit and there were not a lot of complaints about reliability. No heater but I wasn't looking for one (I rarely wash in hot water) but when I do whites I run the kitchen tap (beside the laundry area) so the water is hot from the outset. The machine works very effectively.

Dryer, unlike the washer, is not very energy efficient but it comes with a time delay and Time of Use electricity rates are being phased in in our area this year so it will be easy to use when the rates will be lower. Most complaints about the dryer had to do with long dry times (a lot of these complaints seemed to reflect unreasonable expectations - smaller dryers often take longer) . So far I am finding the dry times shorter than the manufacturers specs. I often do mixed loads so with the sensor dry the machine often stops before the heavy items are dry - again this is well within the expected performance given the mixed loading. I did have a problem with the dryer and opted to have the retailer replace it after service was performed on the first unit (they replaced the board thinking a faulty relay was creating an unusual and irregular noise the machine made using certain settings but it didn't help). The replacement part came very quickly and Samsung called me to make sure there service sub-contractor was responding.

My expectations are pretty tempered by the price point but so far I am pleased with the units.

o

carryscott, thank you for your review of your washer and dryer. I would have been in heaven if I had the set you had when I lived in apartments for so many years as I saved for my home that I bought 12.5 years ago. In my prior apartment that I lived at for 3 years, I had a stackable washer and dryer very small unit that I felt so blessed to have since I no longer had to go to the laundry mat. Before that since I moved out when I was 18, I had to go to the laundry mat which was very difficult to do when I was forced to work so many hours.

So it seems that despite some problems, Samsung did stand behind their products. I am looking for a bigger washer and dryer to wash my dog beds frequently. I have four small dogs and I don't have much time to go to the very busy laundry mat. The beds are small but I prefer to wash a few at a time and dry a few at a time. Right now I am being forced to wash and dry them at the Laundromat due to my dryer taking forever to dry.

o

lynn2006,

I am a first time home owner and beyond a brief spell renting room in a friends house this is my first experience with in-unit laundry - and my youth has long since passed me by. I have to say it was a meltdown in the laundry room of my very cheap but nice former long-term rental that precipitated making the final decision to buy. I could compromise on the view but not on the laundry - and it is still one of my favourite things about owning. Just the thought of going to the laundromat fills me with dread. I hope your issues turns out to have an easy fix. Good luck.

About Samsung service:

Almost all the companies sub-contract their repair services now and consumers are really at the mercy of the sub-contractor whose payment has nothing to do with our satisfaction. I bought from a large chain, Future Shop - Canada's version of Best Buy (Best Buy owns them) - and they told me that Samsung is the only brand they carry that insists that warranty calls go back through them and not the store. Now this could be because they think the store is authorizing service calls they wouldn't - but that wasn't my experience - Samsung authorized my service call and then called me to make sure the service provider had responded and gave me someone to call if I had any problems with service provider. It's not a bad system to try to get consumers a more responsive repair service. At least the sub-contractor knows it is being monitored by Samsung. Perhaps all the companies do it this way, I don't know.

The first dryer always worked it just made an unusual noise on certain settings - to me that isn't a major issue or an indictment of Samsung quality.

o

Had a Samsung, will never ever buy another one, just plain cheap. Everything is made in plastic or cheap material and ofter the wear is quick and we've spent a lot of money repair it, so we decided to trash it and get something else.

o

I've had my new ones for two weeks and just love them. The spin cycle is wonderful and it doesn't walk.

Dryer dryes much faster than my old one. And I love the steam for refreshing things.

o

I've had a pair of 328s for 9 months -- admittedly not a long time, but so far, no problems. My DD and her family are living with us at present, so they're getting daily use.

I think appliances (along with paint color!!) were the hardest decisions in building a new house. I did endless research on every appliance and no matter what I read, good or bad, I found the opposite opinion stated -- often and vehemently. In the end, I tried to balance all the opinions with salesmen's comments. Only time will tell if I made good choices.

I don't find them noisier than the Maytag FLs I had for the last 7 months in our last house. I've found with both FLs that my clothes are fluffier and softer. I've had to make some adjustments to my routine to get stains out in the Samsung -- I don't know if it's the machine or Charlie's soap, which, in general, I love. I've substituted Tide HE for one load of whites a week to take care of that problem, and so far, so good.

o

My 20-month-old Samsung FL model WF337 began knocking and rattling during the spin cycle back at Thanksgiving, after only about 40 washes (minimally used following delivery due to non-occupancy during renovation). Since I did not buy an extended warranty, I've been avoiding calling Sears Repair and have just been using the washer on cycles which spin at no higher than the medium setting to limit the amount of knocking. Today, however, the knocking was louder and more frequent even on the medium spin setting. I'm very disappointed in my $900 washer and at this point am not sure whether to try to get it repaired for big bucks or to just let it die (hopefully without flooding the wood floor in the laundry room) and get a more reliable machine suitable for 2nd-floor laundry rooms, which would be ??? (I know, a Miele.)

o

I have used the 218's for over a year, and they work better than my old Maytag Neptune FL. How long will they last? All I know is they do what they are suppose to do, clean the clothes.

Overmyhead, if anyone turned your washer on it's side or upside down WITHOUT putting the packing bolts in the back, your machine could have come off the shocks(is that the correct terminology?) that keeps the tub in place. Read your installation directions about moving/unpacking the washer. You said the house was not occupied, could someone have moved it to finish floors, etc.?

o

Housefairy, yes, the washer was moved once -- but that was to remove the shipping bolts that were not removed originally when my washer was set up. Also, the knocking only started at Thanksgiving last year. I first used the machine in July 2008.

o

So was it the installers who originally didn't remove the bolts? Do you have documentation? Did you run it with the packing bolts? If you can make a case then I would have a talk with whoever is in charge that did the installation. Ask them if one of their repairman looks at the machine, and determines that this led to the machines problem, would they make some kind of restitution toward the bill. All they can say is no. If they say no, I would find a different repair facility. And if they say no contact Samsung than for no other reason than to state your grievance. They may be willing to send out a repairman, and if it was installation related may at least pay for part of the cost.

Either way I would pay to have a repairman look and give you an estimate. It sounds like it's not getting better and is probably doing more internal damage. Kind of like ignoring brake pads on your car when they start squeaking. Wait too long and it's not only the pads, but also the rotors that are ruined by not fixing the wore out pads.

o

I posted this somewhere else but I'd like to repeat my experience the past few days with Samsung. I have Samsung w/d purchased just before Christmas. After regular wash cycle, clothes were quite wet for the second time since I've owned the washer. Called Samsung and they sent serviceman who said legs weren't locked and leveled when it was installed. He fixed and when I did wash yesterday, I had exactly the same problem. Serviceman came back and called Samsung tech support for help. First Tech (Al) said water was too cold (regular setting, warm/cold) for washer to work properly and I should wash everything warm/warm. Serviceman and I both thought that was absurd, so he called back and was told it was user error, I should not try and wash a pair of jeans with socks, underwear and shirts. Also, I should only use high spin speed if I want to get clothes reasonably dry. My serviceman wanted them to send someone else out for a second opinion. Samsung said they didn't have anyone else in the area. I called the store where w/d were purchased, spoke to the manager and he suggested we come in and discuss what they could do. We did and our new Bosch w/d will be delivered tomorrow. It cost us a little more, but if anything goes wrong, we won't have to deal with the people at Samsung.

o

I have a nearly 20 year old pair of Maytags. I've spent about $100 over the years in repairs, small things (mostly service fees). Had a trial last summer of several pairs of dirty socks in my old machines with one of the new FL my friend bought. Same water, temp, detergent etc. No difference noted in cleaning. My repairman also told me to never get rid of them. They are workhorses. I could rebuild them for less than the cost of one FL.

o

Dgmarie, was the detergent in the FL and HE product? Id not, then the cleaning result will be less than desired. I got friends who use my FL, because there Maytag Toploader doesnt wash them as clean as my washer...its just interesting how things things pan out. I know when I first got mine 9 yrs ago, the more I washed my whites, the better they got, and back then HE soap was not as good as it is today.

o
for rosearc

Hi, Rosearc. My Samsung washer makes a loud sloshing sound, too! The way I dealt with this is to wash only full loads (the sloshing you hear is the wet tumbling clothes -- the fuller the load, the less the slosh). I hope this helps. Do you find your washing machine smells too rubbery? Mine does and it is 3 months old! I'm at the point that I think my better half will have to do the laundry! The smell actually triggers my asthma! I've tried rubbing the rubber down with pure white vinegar, but nothing seems to help!

o

I remember that new washer stink chemical rubber smell you're talking about when I got my Duet ......It didn't last long though. Strange it's three months and still smelling like that. Maybe some sort of chemical on the rubber to reduce the likelihood of mildew or something.

o

I am also in the market for a new washer/dryer and have decided on Speed Queen from all the reviews I have read.
Scroll down on this link:
http://www.allbrandservicenaperville.com/products-washer.html

o

Well...take a look at this link, below. I know the title was held by LG previously and now it's Samsung.

Here is a link that might be useful: J.D. Power Assoc. Website

o

jseeley, thanks for the J.D. Power Assoc. Website link. Where does this website get its information from?

o

Lynn, I'm not sure but JD Assoc is well known. I've used that website for a lot of products. Of course, they don't rate everything.

o

Interesting to see that the speed queen has an metal outer tub, I never knew that or did much research on one. I like the dial controls on the FL model, but a 1000rpm max spin speed seems low to me

o

gates1, when I was researching washers, the Speed Queen's lower capacity (tops -- 3.3 cu ft), as compared to Bravos' high capacity (mine is 4.6 cu ft; current model = 5 cu ft) was discouraging. I wouldn't be able to wash my queen- and king-size comforters in one.

A poster who had just bought a SQ posted here a few months back, saying her laundry was still pretty wet even after having been spun out. She said she was spinning laundry again after the wash cycle was complete. I've never had this problem with Bravos, ever.

I just can't see paying the big bucks for SQ. JMHO

o

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/laundry/msg122012192860.html

o

OK, I found the "About JD Power & Associates" and I like the fact they keep their opinions out of their unbiased surveys.

Here is a link that might be useful: About JD Power & Associates

o

This thread caught my eye as I just purchased though not picked up yet, a Samsung 419AAW. I was interested in the 328, but went with the steam option because there was only a $60 difference, between BB's steam vs. Sears' 328.

I have done extensive research and see many reviews where people are very happy with their Samsung product. Hence, I purchased a Samsung based on those reviews.

In many forums there were those that titled threads "don't buy a Samsung" as this one. No real facts only hearsay. In most forums the person was anonymous and the posting was bashing.

I do not have my machine yet, but this looked as though a decent forum to voice my thoughts once I have used my machine.

I must give up my Maytag Neptune with DEEP REGRET! The machine has been a workhorse even though there are problems that cropped up, i.e., the wax motor, the circuit board....however NONE of these issues have I received service. My hubby just bypassed the R11 and the machine works fine.

The only reason I am replacing my Maytag is because there are smaller sounds that seem to be cropping up and a new circuit board, together with a new wax motor, together with new bearings when added up will be half the cost of the Samsung 419 ($850). Though half the cost, I will have a new machine whereas my Neptune FL was purchased in 1997. It has been a good machine. I only hope the Samsung can last minimally half that amount of time and with the same amount of repairs!

I will purchase a surge protector for the circuit breaker hosting the new machine. 90% of the reviews on Samsung washers are positive and Samsung did win the JD Powers award. Most of the negative reviews are the same negative reviews on most models of FL machines. The few negatives that weren't associated with all FL machines made me skeptic as to whom was really writing the negative reviews.

I have done live chats with Samsung personnel and this first line Q/A chat people are not too knowledgeable, but do point me in the right direction. My judgement dictates there are WAY too many Samsungs sold that there not be service somewhere.... Guess we will have to wait and see on that one....hopefully never.

I will get back with you when I have used this product.

o

peigofireland,

I have had this washer ( the 419 )for about 4 months now and I love it! I hope you are as happy with yours as I am with mine! Good luck!

o

call to find out who will service it in your area.

parts and service manuals may be difficult to find ...

o

regus_patoff,
I do have an email placed with the service rep and yes, he/she is an independent. Thanks for the suggestion!

andi2928,
How great to hear of your good luck with the 419. Glad to know there is another on this board with the same machine. After reading and reading and looking and looking, I am exhausted and not as apprehensive as I was when I decided on Samsung and eventually this machine.

o

You will def. need to come back and let us know how it's going with your new washer!

o

It's true many brands have issues these days. I look for customer service and attitude now as much as the product. I also don't trust product reviews. I've gotten more useful information from checking with repair people than any review.

Whirlpool customer service has the attitude that a washer "only lasts for 5 years". Nice huh? My reply was that after spending what I consider a considerable chunk of change for Duets, I would hope to get more than 5 years use. I have no problem with normal wear and tear on affordable simple parts. I do have a problem with $300 computer boards, plus repair fee, and such. At least Maytag let my husband (an electrical engineer ) order a board from them to install himself. This was before Maytag was acquired by Whirlpool. Whirlpool wants you to be reliant on their policy, even if you have credentials far superior than the person coming to your home.

I am going to buy the cheapest top loader. I, too hate America's throw away attitude, but at least I won't be throwing away anything expensive next time around. After having front loaders the past 13 years (Maytags were my first), I don't feel they are any superior to a top loader as far as getting my clothes clean. I don't waste water, and always selected the correct water level for the loads any way. The biggest advantage to a front loader is being able to wash blankets.

If someone wants to get huffy over my stating my experiences here, have at it.

o

monaw WROTE:

I am in the market for a new set so I called my trusty repair guy to get suggestions. After all, who would know better then the repair guy which brands fail the most?
He told me that Samsung was the absolute worst, and the parts looked like toys that come out of CrackerJack boxes.
Good luck to all of you that own Samsung washer and dryer.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------

This "servicer" is certainly entitled to his opinion.
In most cases--servicers that do not have formal training--tend to trash-talk the brand.
Having no access to technical literature or training essentially leaves the non-authorized technician "in the dark".
Rather than admit this fact--some will resort to juvenile language when offering their "professional" opinion. This is purely motivated by the fact that the non-authorized technician is unable to diagnose/repair an unfamiliar brand.
This also does a disservice as it tarnishes a product that has consistently reviewed well in a number of different surveys.
Samsung washers & dryers are among the best available today.

o

This "poster" is certainly entitled to his opinion.
> Having no access to technical literature or training essentially leaves the non-authorized technician "in the dark".

Are the service manuals available on-line ?

> This also does a disservice as it tarnishes a product that has consistently reviewed well in a number of different surveys.

Show me a "number of different surveys" ...

> Samsung washers & dryers are among the best available today.

says who ?

o

Posted by regus_patoff (My Page) on Tue, Apr 27, 10 at 3:39

This "poster" is certainly entitled to his opinion.
> Having no access to technical literature or training essentially leaves the non-authorized technician "in the dark".
Are the service manuals available on-line ?

> This also does a disservice as it tarnishes a product that has consistently reviewed well in a number of different surveys.

Show me a "number of different surveys" ...

> Samsung washers & dryers are among the best available today.

says who ?

www.jdpower.com/Homes/ratings/home-appliance-clothes-washer-ratings

www.consumersearch.com/washing-machine-reviews

o

OK

www.jdpower.com/Homes/ratings/home-appliance-clothes-washer-ratings

LG and Kenmore are tied for second place ...

no ratings or reviews for available service / parts / repair / reliability

o

I would like to add my experience with Samsung Washers/Dryers. We went from a TL to a FL and chose the Samsung 409 from Lowe's. It was a closeout model. We loved the washer, but 11 days after we had the set delivered the dryer broke. It just wouldn't turn on. We had bought the extended warranty, but I was not comfortable with using a warranty 11 days into a new, and I might add, expensive appliance. Lowe's was wonderful about replacing the entire set however they did not have the same model so we upgraded to the 419. We've had the set several months now and are very pleased.

One thing we have learned is that going from a TL or a FL is a major learning curve and laundry habits simply have to change. I am of the old school and I want HOT water when I do my whites -- so towels and sheets have to be done on the sanitizing cycle. I've learned to schedule the time of the wash to allow for the 213 minutes it takes to run that cycle plus the extra rinse. Getting HOT water on a regular cycle is a joke, just like all Energy Star machines. The water is tepid at best and in a machine that doesn't use much water to begin with it's downright cool. I have learned to use cycles where I can add STEAM. This will bring the water temperature up to moderately warm -- almost, but not quite -- hot. Again it adds many minutes to the cycle but that is the trade off.

There is no question the clothes are coming out much cleaner than in my TL and the water consumption has decreased by 60%. We have a water softener so I use very little Tide He soap -- 1 TEASPOON! I do not use fabric softener but rather the dryer balls or hang the wash on the line.

When I first got the FL I regretted getting rid of my TL because it was so easy to just throw a load in, but after using a FL I don't know if I would be so anxious to go back now. I take great care in cleaning all of the areas and keeping the door propped open. I do not miss the clunking of the TL, and anyone who thinks these Samsungs are noisy did not have my last machine to compare to. Other than waters sloshing softly I can barely hear it when it is washing and the VRT holds any vibration down to nil. I do have the set on a concrete floor in the basement leveled perfectly so that probably helps.

I am glad we upgraded to the 419 which has the STEAM feature and I am able to get my very WARM water without having to get extremely HOT water when I don't want to use the Sanitation cycle.

I would buy this set again.

o

nodakerdeb, your statement "Getting HOT water on a regular cycle is a joke, just like all Energy Star machines" expresses a nearly universal misunderstanding. I'll try to set the record straight here.

First, a little background. Clothes washer efficiency is expressed in terms of Modified Energy Factor (MEF) and Water Factor (WF). Higher MEF is more energy-efficient, and lower WF is more water-efficient.

This page

Clothes Washers Key Product Criteria

defines MEF and WF, and says the Energy Star standards require MEF >= 1.8, and WF <= 7.5.

Do a "Quick Search" for model number WF419 on

Find ENERGY STAR Qualified Clothes Washers

to find that the Samsung WF419 has an MEF of 2.86 and a WF of 3.11.

So, the WF419 is way more efficient than required by Energy Star. Why? The answer is likely found on

Tax Incentives Assistance Project

where you can see that the WF419 exceeds the criteria for earning a $250/unit tax credit, with no annual cap.

So your washer, and many others, go way beyond the Energy Star requirements, in order to earn a very substantial tax credit. I don't know why they go beyond even the tax credit requirements.

So, while everyone thinks that appliance manufacturers have had standards forced on them by the government, and therefore forgives the manufacturers for performance compromises, the fact is that the manufacturers are getting money for selling compromised machines. Not being familiar with the economics of the industry, I don't know how much of that money improves their bottom line, and how much it reduces the price you pay.

I'm not opposed to conservation, and I'm not opposed to tax credit incentives. But if the facts are known only by one side of the transaction (the industry), then it isn't truly a "free-market incentive", and the consumer is at a disadvantage.

o

I purchased Samsung front load HE washer and dryer in June of 2011. The washer has worked wonderfully with no problems. The dryer had the heating element replaced while still under warranty (1 year). Now, the dryer drum has a crack along the seam. Service looked and is seeing what they can do for me. In speaking with Samsung, it is not covered under the warranty. They recommend an extended plan be purchased, but that still is limited as per coverage. Replacement part is around $200. I cant believe that a $900 appliance isn't built better. I have been very happy with the performance, and I can say that the next set I purchase, I will be wiser and look inside to see what it is made of. The metal in the drum is very thin...I was shocked, to be honest. There is no way that this part would ever hold up to standard household usage for more than a few years at best. I asked the serviceman if he sees this often and he said it was the first one they have seen. I contacted Samsung and they claim it is not an issue that is reported to them. Luckily, my appliance dealer is trying to get it replaced for free, but Im not sure it is possible. I have three children and do an average amounth of laundry. I take my heavy wash to the laundromat. This, to me, is ridiculous. But I agree, I think most models are built the same way. Overall, I cant complain much, but being a single parent, repairs have to be budgeted for, as do major purchases, and this SUCKS.

o

I purchased Samsung front load HE washer and dryer in June of 2011. The washer has worked wonderfully with no problems. The dryer had the heating element replaced while still under warranty (1 year). Now, the dryer drum has a crack along the seam. Service looked and is seeing what they can do for me. In speaking with Samsung, it is not covered under the warranty. They recommend an extended plan be purchased, but that still is limited as per coverage. Replacement part is around $200. I cant believe that a $900 appliance isn't built better. I have been very happy with the performance, and I can say that the next set I purchase, I will be wiser and look inside to see what it is made of. The metal in the drum is very thin...I was shocked, to be honest. There is no way that this part would ever hold up to standard household usage for more than a few years at best. I asked the serviceman if he sees this often and he said it was the first one they have seen. I contacted Samsung and they claim it is not an issue that is reported to them. Luckily, my appliance dealer is trying to get it replaced for free, but Im not sure it is possible. I have three children and do an average amounth of laundry. I take my heavy wash to the laundromat. This, to me, is ridiculous. But I agree, I think most models are built the same way. Overall, I cant complain much, but being a single parent, repairs have to be budgeted for, as do major purchases, and this SUCKS.

o

cc911girl: "I purchased Samsung front load HE washer and dryer in June of 2011. The washer has worked wonderfully with no problems. The dryer ... . I take my heavy wash to the laundromat. This, to me, is ridiculous. But I agree, I think most models are built the same way. Overall, I cant complain much, but being a single parent, repairs have to be budgeted for, as do major purchases, and this SUCKS."

Washers have become more complex; dryers are (or should be) very simple appliances. We, too, have a Samsung washer (a '419) and it performs superbly. All of the reports of problem with Samsung washers seem to relate to the electronics, and we have (we hope) addressed the presumptive problem by placing a simple $7 surge/spike protector at the electrical interface with mains power. (See link below.)

But -- as to the dryer -- if you can tear yourself away from the irrational proposition that the "styling" (really?) of the washer and the dryer have to "match," there is no reason not to purchase the very reliable, very repairable, very straightforward Whirlpool-built "hamper" door dryer, sold under several brand names, including Sears Kenmore. The basic model is easily identified by the lint filter opening at the top of the dryer, just below the push-start button.

Here is a link that might be useful: A simple surge/spike protector

o

I can only speak for myself. I have had Kenmore washers. I've had Maytag washers. I have NEVER had this many problems with a washing machine. My husband bought us a new Samsung washer and dryer last fall (2012). In all honesty, the dryer is working fine so far. The washer is a nightmare. First of all, what do you want a washing machine to do? You want it to wash, right? My washing machine does NOT get the white or blue dress shirts clean. Ring-around-the-collar does NOT come out. This washer has no agitator and it does NOT work as well as one that does. Given that the light colored clothes are not coming clean, I can only assume the darks are not clean either--I just can't see it. I have pre-treated shirt collars with Shout and Tide--all the things that used to work with my other washers. The dirt does not budge with this Samsung washer. If a washing machine does not wash, what virtue can it have? First of all, after I noticed that it wasn't washing, we called the store. They said, "Don't call us, Call Samsung repair services." We called them and they said to try High Efficiency laundry soap. That didn't make a difference. Then, they said I was using the wrong wash cycle. I should be using the Quick Wash, Pre-Soak, whatever. None of them work. These dress shirts are still DIRTY. Then, someone left a coin in a pocket. The washing machine make a noise like it was breaking apart. I stopped it immediately, and sent for a repairman from the company. More of my time taken up waiting. . . The repairman says that the washer is kind of "delicate". People, it is a fairly common occurrence for people to leave a coin accidentally in a pocket. The other washers I had gave me clean clothes AND clean coins. Not this one. Today, since I am a teacher, I am home for Spring Break. I decided to treat my boomerang kid son to clean sheets since I was washing my own sheets. I put in my queen-size sheets and pillowcases and my son's twin-size sheets and pillowcase. Turned on the washer and when it gets to the rinse cycle is starts making all this noise. Mind you, my sheets are expensive, very thin and very luxurious fine cotton sheets. They are not heavy at all and take up very little space in the washer. Yet I had to stop the washer and adjust it to keep it from making all the noise. Regarding the dirty shirt collars, I feel like I need an old washboard like my mom had in the '60s. I have resorted to washing the shirt collars by hand before placing them in the washing machine. I feel like I am a third-world country woman doing laundry on the side of a rock. The other choice is to just take the shirts to the cleaners. In that case, why do I need a washing machine at all?! This washer SUCKS! It is a top-loading model #WA456DRHDWR/AA. I would not buy another one. I have nothing against Samsung in general. I am keying this review on a Samsung Computer RV511. I also own a Samsung microwave that works quite well. However, this washing machine SUCKS!

o

Unhappy Launderer..wow..I have the same machine and find it works great. I am having a problem with the aquajet leaking. My whites always come out white, ring around the collar..I treat with oxi clean spray..no rings after washing. We generally use heavy duty and normal cycles. For small loads we use perm press. We use Arm n Hammer HE liquid and All W/oxi HE for whites.
Make sure that your water heater in your home is up high enough. The water must be on hot wash for best results when washing whites. Also, we do a presoak in the hot water too.
, Our unit never goes out of balance or makes noise. Try checking the balance legs in the front of the washer and use a level to make sure it is set.

Do not load to the top. Only load no more than 3/4 of the basket. We usually
load just a little more than half full. We always get good results.

Good luck...and watch out for Aquajet leaks...

This post was edited by GregRod on Wed, Apr 3, 13 at 12:11

o

Unhappy Launderer,
We have a 3 year old Samsung and I found that the washing action and lack of water did not clean very well too. I have gotten better results since I switched to Heavy Duty wash and Extra Wash and Extra Rinse for all clothes. My service man (called for a refrigerator repair) told us to use only about 2 Tbs of liquid detergent. I just fill the measuring cup on the bottle about 1/4 full and it seems to work.

o

I bought a Samsung Front loader dryer, I can not dry my bed sheets and blankets, because the dryer did not run back and forth that 's why the bed sheets rolled over and over with the outside dry but the inside still wet. Does any body know how to make this Samsung front loader turns back and forth to dry the bed sheets ?.

Thanks

o

I always dry my bottom sheet separately from the top sheet and pillow cases... That should solve your problem also. It really is not an inconvenience... The bottom sheet takes about 20 minutes to dry. I take it out of the dryer, throw the rest in and go put the bottom sheet on the bed while the rest is drying. Also, when you take them out of the washer, shake and fluff them up before placing in the dryer, don't put them in as a "wad", this should help. Occasionally I will open the dryer and kind of re-fluff a sheet or blanket. I don't think there is a way to make the dryer run back and forth... Mine is a Sumsung also.

o

jncms61, of course you can't make it rock back and forth!!

TIPS: always put the dry setting on max dry, and throw in 2 or three sock covered tennis balls. If the center still isn't dry, switch to a timed dry mode instead of the auto sensing mode.

o

I got a Samsung washer dryer set a couple years ago. I have moved, I have big dogs and king size bed linens. It's been a decent set, my experience has been better than average.

o

unhappylaunderer,

Most of your complaints have nothing to do with your particular washer. You don't seem to understand how to properly use a front load washer, as all of the issues you describe are non-issues to most people. Your basic issue is that you are not able to get the machine to clean your clothes properly. There are a ton of variables involved, but the least likely one is that there is something wrong with the machine.

If you want your complaint to be taken seriously, please let us know your specific laundry practice (down to the type and amount of detergent used, water hardness, etc.) and we can offer assistance. Otherwise you are just ranting.

o

unhappy, you should have gotten a FL. I've got a Samsung 520 and it does a fantastic job of getting everything spotlessly clean, whites white, greasy (from auto detailing) rags clean, etc. When I had a conventional Maytag TL, it never got anything truly clean. nature of the beast. (oh, and I had the "good" Maytag from years ago, before their quality deteriorated). There's just something about the ability of a good FL to get things remarkably clean, as compared to TL, IMHO.

o

I purchased a Maytag Neptune front-loading washer and dryer May 1, 1999. This is the second Model of Neptunes Maytag produced. They are now 14 years old and still going strong. I have never had an issue with either one of them, no service calls.

o

My experience with our samsung FL washer has been *really* good.

We've had three washers now. Our first Kenmore set we bought in 1991 and it was great. A real workhorse and served us well until it started to have an oil leak and the matching dryer was not drying and we thought 'hey, let's get a new pair'. Worst decision ever. Our Kenmore HE Oasis set turned into a nightmare. The dryer broke right off. They fixed it (an electrical board issue and it has since ran well). The washer lid hinge snapped (twice, design allowed water to constantly get up there and rust the metal). They fixed it. The electrical board fried (twice!) and again they fixed it. Then it started unbalancing...even while empty (we'd do test runs). It also had lost its cleaning over time and there at the end it just wasn't cleaning anything, when we could even get a load to finish. You combine that with service calls that took weeks and cost hundreds of dollars...*sigh*

I found this place and started to research washers. We settled on the samsung front loader that had the internal heater and sanitize cycle.

There was a learning curve (my first front loader) and there is an issue with matching load weight (when wet) to spin cycle. Once I got that figured out we were off!

A few months in the always-kind-of-fragile lock broke. It never worked all that great and one time I pulled to add when it hadn't unlocked and it broke the rest of the way.

We called Samsung, they arranged for a repair and they came out just days later. He replaced the lock, gave me some tips on avoiding mold (which I already knew thanks to this forum) and left me with a machine with a *much* improved locking mechanism. The new lock is not at all fragile or difficult to latch. It's way better and has worked great ever since. My guess is their initial production design wasn't great.

We did not replace the dryer so I have no input on samsung dryers and after our experience with the large capacity top loaders, I'd advise anyone considering them to run the other way, quickly, regardless of brand.

Anyway, if someone is looking into samsung washers and reads this thread they can at least see that there's one more happy customer out there with her samsung front loader washer!

PS -- the internal water heater is *awesome*. I've had to add items during the sanitize cycle and that stuff is crazy hot. It definitely WORKS!!

PSS -- just to add about the mold issue which I know is a concern for people in considering front load machines. We have not had a single hint of mold. I do wash frequently on hot and use the sanitize, I do not use fabric softener nor bleach 90% of the time. I use the sanitize cycle usually once a week if not more and I use the purecycle 1-2 a month depending on what has gone through the wash (large family of 7 with pets and lots of outdoor work). We leave the door open and the detergent drawer open when not in use.

This post was edited by kodiakbear on Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 14:18

o

Thanks guys for giving me advices to dry my bed sheets, but I think my problem is my Samsung Dryer: it always turns clockwise instead turning clockwise then counterclockwise, then cloclwise again like theWhirlpool dryer I had before. How can I make my Samsung Dryer runs clockwise then counterclockwise sho my bed sheets do not roll in like a big ball with outside dried and inside wet.

o

Do not buy a Samsung appliance. I purchased a nice looking Model WF448AAP/XAA in April 2009. Approximately two years later, it began to leak water into the floor of our laundry room. I called Samsung service and technician came out a few days later to fix it. He showed me the part that was leaking in the top of the unit and it only took a few minutes for him to replace it. All has been well until it started leaking again on Thursday, August 1, 2013. I opened up the unit that night and found the same part to be spewing water again. Given that it only takes minutes to replace with two clamps on the ends of the hoses, I went online to order the part. I found that it was part number DC97-12578E and placed an order with expedited delivery scheduled for August 6 because we are an active family of five with kids in sports.

The part was not delivered on August 6 as promised. I called and, for some unknown reason (at the time), my order was cancelled. As I dug a little deeper, I learned that the $10 part is no longer available and no one in Samsung customer service or with their parts division can point me to a replacement part.

I was passed to the next higher level of customer service in Samsung. This customer service rep informed me that I would have to pay for a certified Samsung technician to come out to verify that the part is faulty (me getting sprayed in the face with water is not enough evidence for them, I even offered to email a video of it leaking). My options are to pay, I’m guessing, $100-$300 for a technician to come out to tell me what I already know, or buy a new washer after my floor has been flooded twice by this new one in the last four years. By the way, the earliest the technician can come out is Friday, August 16.

So, the best-case scenario is to pay hundreds of dollars for some guy to come a tell me what I already know and be without a washer for a minimum of two weeks: all over a $10 part the was discontinued because it was obviously faulty (failed on me twice in four years). Not good for a family of five. I will NEVER buy another Samsung appliance.

o

Do not buy a Samsung appliance. I purchased a nice looking Model WF448AAP/XAA in April 2009. Approximately two years later, it began to leak water into the floor of our laundry room. I called Samsung service and technician came out a few days later to fix it. He showed me the part that was leaking in the top of the unit and it only took a few minutes for him to replace it. All has been well until it started leaking again on Thursday, August 1, 2013. I opened up the unit that night and found the same part to be spewing water again. Given that it only takes minutes to replace with two clamps on the ends of the hoses, I went online to order the part. I found that it was part number DC97-12578E and placed an order with expedited delivery scheduled for August 6 because we are an active family of five with kids in sports.

The part was not delivered on August 6 as promised. I called and, for some unknown reason (at the time), my order was cancelled. As I dug a little deeper, I learned that the $10 part is no longer available and no one in Samsung customer service or with their parts division can point me to a replacement part.

I was passed to the next higher level of customer service in Samsung. This customer service rep informed me that I would have to pay for a certified Samsung technician to come out to verify that the part is faulty (me getting sprayed in the face with water is not enough evidence for them, I even offered to email a video of it leaking). My options are to pay, I’m guessing, $100-$300 for a technician to come out to tell me what I already know, or buy a new washer after my floor has been flooded twice by this new one in the last four years. By the way, the earliest the technician can come out is Friday, August 16.

So, the best-case scenario is to pay hundreds of dollars for some guy to come a tell me what I already know and be without a washer for a minimum of two weeks: all over a $10 part the was discontinued because it was obviously faulty (failed on me twice in four years). Not good for a family of five. I will NEVER buy another Samsung appliance.

o

I am so sorry you are having this issue. I had multiple problems with my Samsung fridge. They now seem to be resolved. I have an extended warranty on the product so the money wasn't an issue but the 2-3 week wait, eating out of coolers was. The third time I bought a dorm fridge and that really helped - and it worked wonderfully too! If it fails one more time I am to get a new fridge, and as I understand, it doesn't have to be a Samsung. I'm glad they don't make cars.

o

I have had a Sumsung washing machine for 2 years, it seems to be ok. And I didn't face so many negative reviews concerning the products of the company when I was choosing the machine
http://www.pissedconsumer.com/browse-reviews/electronics-repair.html

o

I had. Samsung WA456 Aquajet washer. It lasted 6month under normal use and during that time:

1. Water pump broke
2. Three aquajet rings replaced
3. Clutch blew
4. Motor needed to be replaced

We got our money back from Samsung via refund. Terrible machine.

Dryer is good so far.

We opted for a Maytag Bravos HE XL.
It's ben good so far. I won't rave about it yet, like I stupidly did for the Sammy.

But its good..so far.

o

I have been researching about the new Samsung AquaJet washer that is 5.0 capacity and I am very sadden to see that I had trouble with both LG and Whirlpool top of line washers HE washers are not fittin for anyone who wants and pays for quality. I owned a Cabrio for 4 years and lucky I got 4 years before i started to get those F51 or F21 source codes which meant a 400 buck repair and then that might fix for 2 years as I ahd research and I opted to replace it with a LG Waveforce "the famous HT 5101 HV Washer. I had it for a year and saw on You tube how it would explode from being so unbalanced and had the plastic supports and so and so but I fear those were more use errors than the machine itself. But they were forced to recall nearly 500,000 machine for safety reason. So I called LG for a "fix" Boy did I get one its worse now and not even a HE machien anymore when it was dumbed down from 1100 RPM to 700 RPM and of course the famous temperature control you are lucky to get warm water never hot but you know it did clean clothes I do have to admit but to keep the clothes balanced in the machien after the softwaer upgrade good luck. So after 7 months of disgusted the way LG had tried to fix the problem instead of just replacing the model for good customer relations and not only Sears and their Kenmore model involved too IT IS WORSE now than it ever was.

If you can keep it from being unbalanced even when you clean the machine I would like to know how. IT is a very ineffient machine now.

Now I am waiting for a replacement because I complained to the customer service that this machien that I bought was not the machine it became after the FIX..... it is no long a HE machien and dumbed down to a 700 RPM on the highest spin speed Gets unbalanced even on the towels cycle because it fills the rinse cycle way too high and when that happens it gets way unbalanced and takes forever to finish a long.
And on that note even the new software upgrade increased the cycled times which means the washer is running even longer than the original cycle times were programed Anyway wish me luck. I bought this at H H Gregg and they are going to let me pick what I want to replace it NOW the Dilemma HELP me decide waht to replace it. Should I get anotehr LG, or Samsung Aqua JET or another Whirlpool Cabrio Platinum 8800 model I also want Grey or Stanless so that limits what i can buy I dont want white.

Top loader or Front Loader too I am open to either style.

Please help me.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

o

From what I understand, the bearing issues and F51 issues have been corrected in the whirlpool/Maytags. There is even a new bearing replacement kit that reduces cost to fix.

The new Samsung Aquajet looks nice but my 456 was so bad Samsung just did not leave us with a good feeling.

LG...forget it. Still have plastic basket hangers.

o

dont buy a samsung product, i bought the washer and dryer front loader i bought the extended warranty from samsung direct, its been seven weeks waiting on parts for the dryer and still waiting, first time came out put parts in after a few weeks , second time still waiting for parts that are backordered, been the most horrible experience i even encountered, their customer service could care less, if you end up buying one keep your old one because if the new one breaks even under warranty you may be in for a long long wait, i use to buy appliances every few years and i can guarantee you if i see samsung i wont walk away, i will run

o

Our six year old samsung electric dryer quit last weekend, and I've been doing web research ever since.
I should have known there would be troubles with Smasung Corp, as with a brand new french door side by side didnt work from NEW. With that said, our washer and dryer have been working flawlessly for six years, and now the dryer stopped spinning. Lights lite up, but push start, just humming, thats it...
Called Samsung and registered for repair and after searching for the Service Repair Manuals I called back and found that I could buy a another year of warrentee....sooo... $309.00 I just spent on my credit card, I will let you folks know how this repair turns out later in the week.... greg

o

Sounds like a broken belt, which is a minor repair ... unless the source of the humming is the motor jammed instead of running without the belt.

o

I called Samsung Care at Madurai, Tamilnadu. The lady spoke in the rudest tone that I have ever heard in my life. She says that, "If you have registered a complaint, a mechanic will attend to it. Don't call all the time and disturb me. This happened on 18.11.13 at about 11.00 AM. She speaks in the same tone to everybody. I am desperate about getting my washing machine serviced. Don't know what to do. ?? Some one pls help me. But please please don't ever buy a SAMSUNG PRODUCT.

o

Buyers BEWARE! I purchased a Samsung w/d (Model WF410ANR) about 3.5 years ago, the washer recently began to fail. I had a Samsung tech come out and was advised that the "Back Tub" needed to be replaced with the cost of the repair being at approx. $700. In addition, the control panel also needed to be replaced at an added cost of $80. Needless to say, I'm no longer a fan, parts are very expensive for these machines and most appliance techs will not work on them because the parts are made too difficult to obtain by the manufacturer. I would advise to stay away from purchasing this brand unless you have the ability to keep a long term coverage plan. If anyone has any suggestions on what I can do with the washer at this point, I would welcome the feedback-would hate to dump it on the curb. I'm hoping to find someone that will take it and refurbish it. BTW-Samsung was no help at all.

o

ANY brand of ANY appliance can fail, mdsjerswey...

o

We have a 3-month-old Samsung front-load washer (Model # WF405ATPAWR) that we were really happy with, until I wiped what I thought was a speck of dirt or lint off the control panel with the pad of my finger, and several of the words/lettering smeared and wiped off. I have never used chemicals of any sort to clean it, as it is brand new. Samsung says it's not covered under warranty and will not repair it. Apparently, I'm not the only one that has had this happen with their machine. No, it's not just cosmetic, and yes, I consider it a big deal. $1,000 may be a drop in a bucket to some, but for me and my family, that's a major purchase. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a new $1,000 product to still look like one 3 months down the road, nor is it unreasonable to think the cycle labels are important to the proper operation of the machine. Please research, so you can make an informed decision before spending your hard-earned money with Samsung (or any other company).

o

polycarbonate does not like citrus based products, you didn't happen to eat an orange or a grapefruit just before the smear?

untreated polycarbonate clear windows on appliances in particular don't play well with citrus based cleaners; they chemically attack and frost up or crack.

laundryvet

o

You must have used the wrong product to clean the panel, OR you got something on there by accident. You can't expect things to be impervious to EVERYTHING.

If you want to use something that is not harmful to plastics, use a POLYMER product such as Meguiars Last Touch Detail. I buy it by the gallon, on line at auto supply houses.

o

For better alternative if you're having problems with your dryers?

Just turn on your dehumidifier if you have one already and sure your clothes will dry asap :) It serves double purpose :)

This post was edited by starraffy on Fri, Feb 21, 14 at 0:24

o

Thought I'd add my two cents to the posting: Although I do not own a Samsung, I do have a MAYTAG NEPTUNE washer and dryer and will comment on them: I purchased my Neptunes on May 1, 1999. These were the second models Maytag came out with. They will be 15 years old in May and I have not had a single problem with them nor any service calls! I do about three to four loads of laundry per week (on average). What I'm saying is.....there are good machines out there, you have to take care of your machines, use common sense....don't overload washer, use proper amount of detergent, leave front door open after done washing, wipe out boot. I know some will disagree with me, but as I said, it's my two cents worth on the subject. I totally agree that the machines are not made today as they were years ago.

o

Two years ago when the old Fisher Paykel washer went and the dryer was taking to long to dry I bought the top rated Whirlpool set. The delivery guys turned the washer on to make sure it was working then left. Within a few minutes we smelled smoke. Turns out the motherboard had burned out - in minutes! The store immediately sent out a replacement and when the delivery guys went to start it nothing happened. I told them to take both the washer and dryer back. By this time I was getting desperate, the dirty clothes were piling up, so I went to a different store and bought a Samsung FL set because they had it in stock and could deliver immediately. Other than a tiny problem that my repairman solved over the phone for me, they have both been great. No sloshing noises, it hardly uses any water but the clothes do get clean. One feature I got only because it was on the available model was "steam", for months I did not use it but once I started, I noticed my clothes were cleaner and the whites did not have to be bleached to stay white.
I tend to do a lot of laundry, at least 10 loads a week and other than the fact that the cycles on this washer take forever, it has been trouble free for me.

Will it last? My repairman (my neighbor's son) says I should start looking for another in about 3 or 4 years. That is sad but that is the way it goes these days.

o
RE: don't buy an EXPENSIVE appliance unless you like high repair

I have owned many brands of every appliance, not just washers and dryers. The one constant is, the higher the price the more it will cost for parts and repair. I have had Whirlpool dishwashers, good machine that is cheaply built...lasted 15 years with repairs I did myself. I have had Kenmore W/D that lasted 20 years again repaired by me. The Fisher Paykel dishwasher my wife just had to have cost more than double what the Whirlpool did and broke down so far more than double the times at triple the cost to repair. I'd rather not become a brand junkie and buy and affordable machine that is cheap and easy to repair. But hey, I don't pay others to fix what I can fix.

btw, your repairman will ALWAYS tell you the brand he works on is better, he wouldn't steer you away from his services!

o
Samsung Washing Machine Class Action

The class action law firm Halunen & Associates is investigating top loading Samsung washing machines for possible design flaws. If you have experienced such problems, please contact us at: http://consumer.halunenlaw.com/contact-us/ or call (612) 605-4098. Thank you [Advertising Material].

Here is a link that might be useful: Halunen Law Firm

o

I own a Samsung HE washer and dryer, they are under 2 years old. My washer has had 2 motors, 2 clutches and the outer drum replaced. It is setting in my basement right now not working with an error code that indicates a bad motor. This Wednesday Samsung authorized service will be here to replace a cracked drum on the dryer. I spent 2 days on the phone with Samsung begging for them to come check the new problem on the washer but they keep telling me "it's out of warranty". There's a sticker on the washer that says "motor is warrantied for 10 years" it's also stated in the owners manual. I believe that most new washers and dryers are of a much lower quality. The only advise I would give is to shop for service after the sale and buy the longest extended warranty available. I don't know how other manufacturers work but with Samsung you call them, they call their authorized repair center, the repair center calls you and schedules an appointment to come out and check the appliance. You take half a day off work, they come and decide what needs repaired, they call Samsung to get an authorization to do the work and order the part. After Samsung okays the work and ships the parts the repair center calls and schedules another appointment to return and complete the repair, another half day off work. In summery, if you have a problem with Samsung you can expect 2 to 3 weeks for a solution.

o

Paul4334, I had the same experience with my Samsung refrigerator. I will never by a Samsung appliance again. I had the service people out 3 times. If I would have needed a 4th, I would have got a new frig. I would have got another brand. Did' need to exercise this option though. Each time the frig failed I had 2-3 weeks of eating out of coolers until after the second time I finally got a dorm frig. They would have reimbursed my food wastage but I didn't bother. I was very frustrated with this brand.

o

Front Load SAMSUNG WASHER/DRYER are junk, even the guy who sells them at Lowes told me not to buy. He figures cheap cost to Lowes and HIgh Profit to Lowes, of course this is the reason. From a personal side, junk, JUNK. Lowes informed me that Samsung and water, anything to do with water.....do not buy it. The washer and dryer are JUNK....this is why insurance on Samsung appliances cost more....high failure rate. JUNK... I like the people who work at Lowes, they are mostly honest....run when you read SAMSUNG.

o

All mass market products have planned obsolescence in their design. Just the way it is. There is cheap junk and expensive junk. Unless you buy a Miele then you will probably replace your washer every 5-8 years now days.

o

I have had my samsung washer and dryer for almost 7 yrs now. Never had any problems.

o

"unless you buy a Miele..."

LOL, my $2500 Miele dishwasher lasted 2 years before it started breaking and costing a fortune to fix....

Miele is NOT a reliable choice, despite the cost.

o

I would put very little faith in what a salesperson tells you especially at a bog box store. At best they are misinformed and at worst they will steer you towards whatever product earns the store the fattest margins. Consumers reports rates LG and Samsung as the needing the least repairs. This is based on the surveys they conduct amongst their members and is probably the best information you will get regarding reliability.

o

I Just purchased a new Samsung glass top washing machine. It has been used maybe 4 times. By simply placing a laundry basket on top of it I now have surface scratches all over the glass top. After spending two days and over five hours on the phone Samsung can't even tell me if the top is glass or plastic. Most disturbing is that when they finally got me through to the repair department I was told that this is cosmetic but that they (Samsung) would do a one time courtesy free repair and that I simply had to call samsungs ECR dept. Upon calling them to find out where to send the pictures of the damage I was told that they don't do that type of thing. I called the repair department back and was told "they do it all the time, it just depends on who you get on the phone and what they're willing to do for you". At this point in time I'm left wondering why Samsung would produce a product that the very act of using would cause damage, why the representatives can't tell me what the product us made of ( plastic or glass ) and most disturbingly why am I being singled out for descrimination regarding this one time good faith repair?

o

Happyappys,

Under most laundry baskets is a very sharp molding sprue from the injection molding process. These will damage many surfaces. Laundry baskets should not be pushed on vinyl floors, Formica countertops, any plastic surface, and most painted surfaces. I'm surprised that it could scratch glass, which leads me to believe your top is clear polycarbonate. Unfortunately, while polycarbonate has a relatively high pencil hardness, it is not high enough to survive a sharp sprue dragged over it.

Pretty in the showroom rarely implies pretty in your house after even a few weeks of use. Porcelain tops are the way to go if you can get them.

Laundryvet

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here