Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bookert_gw

Got burned on a Neptune, bought a Kenmore 70 series...

bookert
12 years ago

So after getting burned big time on a pair of Neptunes, I made numerous phone calls to see about repair.

No one in my area uses the Tony Tool for bearing replacement, so the repair estimates were well over $400.

Repairman after repairman gave their suggestions for a good all around replacement due to my financial misfortune.

Was going to drive hours going from town to town "looking", but decided an entire day was not worth it.

Instead licked my deep wounds, found a local used appliance store and bought a amazingly clean Kenmore 70 series washer.

Loud? Yes! Uses lots of water? Yes! Am I over the search? Oh yeah!!!

The best part??

I so lucked out and got them delivered this evening!

Running a clean out cycle.

I'll always miss my GE Harmony and had really really wanted to own a Neptune again, but the odds were not in my favor.

Good luck to everyone on their decisions. Believe me when I say I went thru the wringer!!

Comments (16)

• mara_2008
    12 years ago

A great big cyber hug to you, (((bookert))). It's no fun to go through the wringer.

Here's hoping your new washer gives you years and years of great service. :)

• bookert
    Original Author
    12 years ago

mara 2008,

Thank you! Yeah, no fun...

I'm starting to remember how to use the old style machines.
    Detergent dosing is a challenge. Any ideas on where I can find out the details?
    No dispenser for detergent or softener.
    I do love that it has a soak and prewash cycle!

Happy Ground Hogs Day!

• mara_2008
    12 years ago

Hey, I almost forgot -- had a busy day today. Did the ground hog see his shadow? We've hardly had a real 'winter' this year at all.

Detergent dosing -- do you buy HE or regular detergent? It seems the regular would be the right kind. Doesn't it have dosing directions on it?

When I had traditional washers w/o detergent dispensers, I always started the water, then poured in the detergent, let it dissolve, then added the laundry. If I was washing in cold water, I used warm water to dissolve the detergent well, then switched to cold water.

The easiest way to use fabric softener would be in a Downy ball (you could put any brand of softener in it). Do they still sell those?

So glad for you that it has soak and prewash cycles! :)

• dadoes
    12 years ago

A Kenmore 70 likely would have (or take) an agitator-mounted softener dispenser. It can possibly be added if the machine wasn't equipment with said dispenser at the time of manufacture. What's the specific model number?

• bookert
    Original Author
    12 years ago

mara,

I have all HE detergent and put it in air tight containers upon purchase. The liquid is also put in different containers as I have some that pour better than most. =)
    I've been adding the detergent on the clothing where the incoming water is. No issues, but I ONLY wash in warm or hot. All are cold rinses.
    Yes, bought a Downy ball, but does it open in the rinse? Sometimes I think it opens during the first full spin....

dadoes,
    No dispenser for softener on this unit. Oooh.... will post the model number later... have a super early wake up for tomorrow! =)

So any ideas on how much detergent is correct dosing?
    My head tells me to use twice as much as in my previous GE Harmony, but.... I've been wrong many times before! ha!
    I've found ( before getting this washer) that Cheer is not my friend... I think the man made perfumes might be the culprit. Seventh Generation or BioKleen I don't react to. In fact Tide Total Care doesn't bother me... yet! =)

Thanks much!

• mara_2008
    12 years ago

The Downy ball opens in the rinse. I had one for years with traditional washers, and loved it. I used vinegar in it at times.

Okay, I see your concern about dosing detergent. I guess my rule of thumb would be the amount of water the machine uses. If it's using twice as much water as an HE washer, I would most likely double the detergent dosage and check to see how the laundry turned out -- how well it rinsed, etc. HTH

• mara_2008
    12 years ago

I don't know if you've tried Sears detergent (or want to), but theirs is formulated for both HE and traditional washers -- same dosage for either. I saw in a local ad today that they have their detergent(s) on sale right now, Buy One Get One Free.

The stainfighter formula (orange box) was pictured. I don't know if this sale applies to other formulas, or not. The detergent is also sold at Sears appliance stores, which are often more conveniently located than their big box stores.

• dadoes
    12 years ago

Technically, Downy balls open during the first spin, but the ball is sitting with the weighted bottom toward the basket and the softener is held inside by centrifugal force. The open ball fills with water as the machine fills for rinse, the softener floods out and mixes into the load during agitation.

• bookert
    Original Author
    12 years ago

mara,

Good to know about the liking of the Downey ball! =)
    Yes, I've tried the Sears detergent in years past. It's harder to find at my local retailer for some reason and I went on a natural detergent kick. I may look for it again.

dadoes,
    Kinda what I pictured happening as I couldn't understand how it could stay closed during a spin. It's actually working quite well, no staining of clothing yet! =)
    I'm trying to start using up my stash of softener as I didn't use it much with the HE TL.
    Oh! My model # is 110.20712991 what does that tell you??

• dadoes
    12 years ago

The parts diagram @ SearsPartsDirect.com shows an agitator-mounted softener dispenser, so apparently one originally came with the machine but has been lost alongst the way. Or possibly it's listed in the diagram for reference as an option. It's part number 63594. Sears lists $10.47. PartsTap.com $6.99. You have the Downy ball, though, which works just as well.

I'm not skilled at deciphering Kenmore model numbers for year of market introduction and feature set, but it does indicate a series 70 and of course manufacture source of Whirlpool.

Cite the serial number, I can tell you the year and week of manufacture.

• bookert
    Original Author
    12 years ago

dadoes,

Do you think the agitator mounted dispenser would work better?? It would be easier to use.

• dadoes
    12 years ago

It'd be somewhat easier to use ... no need to fish the ball out, empty residual water, refill, pull up the stopper. But keep in mind that agitator-mounted dispensers MUST be rinsed often to avoid waxy yellow/pink/blue/green (as per the softener involved) build-up. Instruction typically advised to rinse after each use ... but after all loads for the washday are done is sufficient, rather than literally after each load. The softener dose should also be diluted with warm water to top-off the cup capacity.

• bookert
    Original Author
    12 years ago

dadoes,
    so the waxy build-up happens with an agitator mounted dispenser, but not in the Downey ball? Hmmmm why is that??
    Just curious... I may just stick with the ball. =)
    I'm liking the ability to do a soak for however long I choose.
    A learning curve backwards if you will, but so far I'm pleased. Taking twice as long to dry clothes, but and I say but, they are SOFTER!! ??

• dadoes
    12 years ago

The Downy ball is actively rinsed by submersion and agitation in the deep rinse. An agitator-mounted dispenser simply drains the softener charge after the first spin, and doesn't get rinsed unless you do it.

• curiousshopper
    12 years ago

When I moved into my house there was an 80s series Kenmore top-loader. The agitator dispenser was pretty gummed-up from years of use but I was able to clean it.

When I took the cabinet off to do a repair I was not too pleased to see the same nasty build-up on the top of the outer-tub, above where the maximum water line hit.

Another reason to use the ball.

• dadoes
    12 years ago

When I took the cabinet off to do a repair I was not too pleased to see the same nasty build-up on the top of the outer-tub, above where the maximum water line hit.Residue in that area is not related to what type of softener dispenser is used.