Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gates1_gw

My new LG Wave Force washer Review

gates1
13 years ago

I got my Wave Force washer Model WT5101HW yesterday and we installed it ourselves since Home Depot doesnt deliver from Va to NC. The set up was easy, we had to reverse the dryer door due to the fact that our washer sits on the right of the dryer. My dryer is gas, but we had to change out the orfice for LP since that is what is availible to me. A electric dryer was not an option as electric rates here are really high. The process was simple and instructions on how to install the orfice are in the box that we bought seperately from a supplier. LG should give customers the option, as Miele does, natural gas or LP from the factory. My 9 plus year old Kenmore HE3T washer was starting to die after a long trouble free life. Sometimes it didnt want to spin a full or mdium sized load at full spin speed, like it was having balancing issues, and recently, it would dispense the fabric softener in the wash cycle and the soap in the rinse cycle.

After watching the video on youtube about the waveforce washer destroying itself in the spin cycle while washing a comforter, we placed behind the washer and on the right side, because there is a wall there also, two 4x4 boards on the floor,in the event the washer wanted to move. Now it cant hit the wall now or the hoses in the back and crush them. The washer needed no leveling at all, so that sped things along.

The first thing I washed were about 4 large dog towels and a door mat that were filthy from us tracking dirt and water(snow melt)into the laundry room during the installation. I thought I would test the cold water wash cycle on this light cream colored towels. I used Powdered tide with bleach on them and that was it. They came out as clean as if I washed them in in hot water. I was amazed to say the least, as I rarely wash in cold water, usually warm or hot.

Today, I did a THICK king size matress pad, which fills the washer up to top holes on the tub when dry.I used the bulky/bedding cycle and it handled it with ease, came out spotless, and smelling clean and fresh. During the rinse cycle, there were no soap soads visible. When using the B/B cycle the washer will fill up to three holes from the top of the machine. This is certainly enough water for a clean wash and proper rinse. It does not skimp at all! Load number two consisted of two sets of flannel king size sheets and 4 matching pillow cases. They came out nice and clean, no issues with the load being unbalanced, powered detergent not dissolving in cold water, or any abuse to the fabrics. I aslso modifed the spin speed to the highest spin possible which is 1100rpm, and still no spining issues. Yes there is a little viberation in the spin cycle, but nothing that is offensive, or that can be felt in the same room or other parts of the house. Now I am washing some colored clothes on the normal cycle as I type this. Last night I did whites, I used the sanitary cycle, which performed with excellent results, socks are white as new and undies are clean. I used Gain HE powder on those and thats all.

This washer is better at balancing a load better than my FL ever though of doing, even from day one it would take some time for it to finally rev up to max spin speed. I read this was a tradmark of the original HE3T's. The LG does it with ease and it is quite, even the water pump is very quite compared to my old washer and my friends FL Lg's.

The water plus feature is nice as I have played with it. I can add extra water up to 2 times during a wash or rinse cycle. It is not available on all cycles though. No big deal to me on that one. Another thing I like, is once you start a cycle, you can pause the washer, change the cycle without it draining out your water and detergent and starting all over. This is a good feature I think.

The following I knew about prior to buying the water so I am not complaining about it, just just information. The wash temps are "thumb down" big time, so a warm wash really feels cool or cold. I am not thrilled about that, but I knew this before hand and so far it doesnt appear to be an in issue with cleaning performance, but time will tell. I am used to having a heater work in more cycles to boost the warm water and hot water wash. 99% of washer made today have done this, and it is sad too.

The wash motions of the machine are really cool to see. It varies during the cycle and sometime the wash plate just slowing rocks the clothes back and forth, its almost like a soak cycle type of thing. Some people might see this and think nothing is going on in there, but it switches around and yes there is good roll over so to speak in the cycles. It is just not the same thing all the time. In the end, the clothes are coming out clean..those nasty towels proved that to me!

As it stands now, The LG washes as good as my FL did, maybe better, the cold wash cycle sure impressed me big time. I washed whites in my old FL once and had to redo them, socks were not clean enough for my liking, so I scrapped the cold wash after that.

THe matching dryer is excellent! It handled the comforter, and huge matress pad. Like usual, the matress pad rolled up into a ball, like it did on every other dryer that I have owned or used in my life. That is just nature of the beast from a dryer that turns in one direction only. I learned to just cut the cycle time in half and unroll it and restart it. The two sets of king sized sheets dried very good, no over baking or hot to the touch when they came out. One neat feature on the dryer is the sensor that will alarm you if there is a blockage in your dryer vent exhaust system, it monitors airflow and if restricted it will warn you about it. It is very quiet and has excellent airflow, seems like more than my old dryer too. My old dryer was also good and trouble free and still works, but I will sell it. I wanted matching set and a steam dryer.

I will continue to do more updates on here and if anyone has a question, just ask me :)

Comments (150)

• whirlpool_trainee
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The Kenmore manual says, Stain Treat raises the water temp in three steps and maintains the highest temp ("for that cycle") for ten minutes. Recommended for loads of up to 8 lbs.

Alex

• markb
    12 years ago

Let me add to the mix here. While the LG, Kenmore Elite, and the new GE Profile Harmony are essentially the same machines, there are some differences. The heater is indeed active in the "Whites" cycle on both the Kenmore and LG's. The heater is active on the "Stain" cycle on the Kenmore and NOT on the LG (advantage Kenmore).

Regarding the "Sanitary" cycle: the temperature is limited to 140 degrees NOT 158 as is stated in the literature.

Ask me how I know.

• livebetter
    12 years ago

"temperature is limited to 140 degrees NOT 158 as is stated in the literature"

Huh??

OK ... I'll bite. I how do you know?

Why would the heater not engage on the LG in stain?? That makes a profile wash ... no?

• fastonetime
    12 years ago

Last night i was doing a few loads and when getting in and out of the washer i was hearing a rubbing sound, when i move the drum back and forth slowly i hear it, its coming from where the suspension hangs in the corners of the cabinet. I peeked back there and everything lookes lubbed up and nothing broke. Has any of yours made this creaking noise when moving the drum or moving stuff in and out of it? I just wonder if the suspension is getting "broken in"

I read earlier that Wanda had problems with washing her jeans and that when she did the machine would bump it sides. I've washed already 6 loads of jeans and no problems. But in the manual it says to wash the jeans on the towels cycle, the towels cycle is a slower cycle, than normal or heavy duty. When in normal or heavy duty the machine drains and then revs up to spin pretty fast, this is where i think the banging would occur, when in the towels cycle the washer drains and slowly starts to spin more of the water out, then when it figues its got most out and that the jeans are not heavy it starts to rev up, but at a slower, yet fast speed. Its weird youd have to see it.

• markb
    12 years ago

@livebetter

"Why would the heater not engage on the LG in stain?? That makes a profile wash ... no?"

That indeed makes it a profile wash; something that the Kenmore has that the LG does not which makes absolutely makes no sense to me. If one chooses the staintreat option on the LG, the wash temperature defaults to warm and cannot be changed. Additional water, more aggressive agitation and additional washtime is added. That's it. Not all that effective in my book. Not sure why LG chose this but I suspect it has something to do with certain features being a Kenmore exclusive, something Sears has always required of those that manufacture items for the Kenmore brand.

Regarding the Sanitary cycle, that's another dirty little secret in the appliance industry. LG's frontloaders do infact heat to that temp, for now. When the initial stats came out for the waveforce, that literature stated (and still states) that the sanitary cycle heated the water up to 158 degrees. That information is not correct and LG hasn't bothered to correct it. I'm not sure why. I had measured the wash temp in mine and the heater disengaged when the temp was 140. I called for service and they replaced the entire board and the temp sensor at my request. The heater still disengages at 140.

I have no doubt that the machine does indeed sanitize as that is third party certified by the NSF. I DO have a problem with erroneous information and false advertising.

• fastonetime
    12 years ago

Yes the stain treat on my kenmore and the previous kenmore front load i had made by LG, does infact start out with cooler water then turn up the temp to hot. Lets say you were washing a bunch of dark colors and were washing on cold, but then your clothes had stains and you thought youd use stain treat, well once you choose stain treat the water temp automatically switches to HOT and you cannot change that, unless you opt out of stain treat, but the water doesnt start out hot, it starts out cool then gradually increases the temp. it says it in my manual, that the stain treat uses cooler water to prevent the "set in stains" due to warm or hot water start out temps.

• fastonetime
    12 years ago

Here is what is says in my manual about stain treat, what does your LG manual say? The same? or are they different?

• fastonetime
    12 years ago

i dont know why that photo came out sideways. I was looking o the pdf spec of the lg waveforce 5101 on the lge website, and it says that it holds 10.1 kg in dry linen, this is about 22 pounds. Also it says, leveling feet, 4 adjustable. very interesting as the manual says, auto leveling rear feet. Very weird how they seem to constantly contradict theirselves and their washer.

• livebetter
    12 years ago

"it says that it holds 10.1 kg in dry linen"

I stated this above. It's interesting to me that the drum is larger and yet weight wise it seems to hold the same as some of the LG front loaders.

I guess it would accommodate bulkier items just not heavier loads? Meaning, I guess you can't fill it up with say ... towels as this might be too heavy a load. You can really only put towels in that are approx 10 kg dry (how many towels would that be I wonder?).

"Very weird how they seem to constantly contradict theirselves"

Or someone is not a good proof reader in LG's marketing department ;)

• fastonetime
    12 years ago

i have the same question about the towels too. In my manual it says "the drum can be filled full, just as long as the lid can close without being forced" now i have oversided martha stewart bath towels that are very heavy when wet, i've been only washing 8 at a time, as im not sure how heavy they are dry. The eight of them only fill up the tub half way.

• gates1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LG manual does not state that the heater comes on in the stain treat cycle, but it does add more time...30 minutes I think. I noticed that when I use it the warm wash fills with warmer water too. They reccomend to wash 8 lbs or less with the stain treat option too. Kemors soak cycle can be extended for several hours too, unlike LG's 30 minutes max time. I cant vouch for the actual temperature of the sanitary cycle but LG's website says it heats the water up to 158 degree's. I guess this will give me something to check on mine the next time I use it. There is no mention in the owners manual as to how hot the cycle is suppose to get

• fastonetime
    12 years ago

Hi gates, i had a question for you. i've noticed that the washer has started to make some like creaking noises, and they seem to be coming from where the suspension hangs on the corners of the inside cabinet. its happened through the wash cycles here and there, never in the spin and sometimes when i rock the tub back and forth gently. i think its the metal or plastics getting broken in. Have you ever noticed that?

Also i was reading all the previous comments and i have never seen the wave force (even though mine is a kenmore) action, also i have never seen the spray nozzle, well spray. What i have noticed though is a gain in lint in the dryer. The lint filter now fills up with thick thick lint, with my front loader washer, then drying it, it barley filled up with lint.

Mine too will fill up fully with water when washing the towels or the bedding, other loads it seems to fill half way with water, so yes i can see how this is not a true HE machine. Over all i like it and i hope it lasts longer than my 1 and a half year old lg front load.

• whirlpool_trainee
    12 years ago

Don't know about the max. capacity. I mean, LG put that >10,1 kg thing in their specs for ages. It's probably more of a generic statement they make about capacity. If you want to know how much a washer can hold, just divide the drum volume in liters by ten and you get the kg rating. LG's largest FL has a tub volume of 4.3 cubic feet; that's 121 liters or 12.1 kg laundry. Now, if you go to other websites around the world, you will find that the same washer will have a bigger claimed capacity. Usually, manufacturers "increase" the capacity by extending the wash cycle. This is very, very popular here in Europe. LG's flagship washer (70 liters drum, yet claims 11 kg capacity) nearly takes three hours to complete a normal wash cycle - simply because the rated capacity is way too much for the drum.

I don't know how to calculate the capacity for top loaders, though. Maybe it's the same method? I think front loaders have the advantage that the entire drum revolves - not just (or mainly) an infusor at the bottom. A stuffed FL will still move everything around, while a stuffed TL might struggle to do so - I would think.

I agree with fastonetime's comment that the WaveForce does not seem as High Efficiency as others. In all videos I saw, it used more water than Whirlpool's line-up of HE top loaders. Not a bad thing, though. ;) I'd say look at how much water Normal uses, since it's the one that EnergyStar uses for the rating. It also defaults to a spray rinse.

Here's what the GE Profile Harmony manual says about the Sanitary wash cycle: Use to sanitize and kill more than 99% of many bacteria found in home laundry. This is a cycle with an extra heavy soil setting and uses an extra heater to heat water to 140°F. Either LG is, once again, wrong on the actual temperature of the Wave's Sanitary cycle - or the units are programmed differently.

• whirlpool_trainee
    12 years ago

LG Mexico rates the WT5101HV as a washer with a "capacidad de 20 Kg".

Whatever... You probably have to get on top of the washer to get that much clothes in!

Alex

• gates1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Fastonetime..yes my washer will make the creaking noise you spoke of during a wash cycle. It must be coming from the suspension somwhere, but it is not annying to me. The spray nozzel comes on in the normal cycle. It is the default spray rinse for the cycle. It is designed for small loads and to over ride it, you select Fabric softener or extra rinse button. I tried to use it on a large load, and the washer got smart on me and overrided the spray rinse for a deep rinse. For the wave force action to spray water through the six jets around the top of the tub (which you cant see too well) the load and water level have to be somewhere in the middle to lower tub. During the wash cycle when the tub spins, centrifugal force pushes the water up and through these jets and it sprays the detergent water back over the load. It is quite impressive to see too.If the load is really large and the tub is full, as in the bulky cycle, it will not work. I have seen it work on cotton/normal, Heavy duty, and Towels. Again, it just depends on the load size and water level.

As whirlpool trainee pointed out, this machine does indeed use more water than Whirlpool, maytag, and samsung HE TL's and you have to option to add even more water if you like. Also, you can max out your two extra rinses, for a total of 4 deep rinses per cycle. This is really great if you are washing something that like to hang on to detergent, like a thick comforter. as for the amount of dryer lint, I have not seen and increase in it from using this machine, campared to my HE3T front loader that I had for 10 years. Im sure the front loaders are more gentle on clothes, so that may account for some of your extra lint. I have not noticed any of my clothes wearing out faster either.

• fastonetime
    12 years ago

Yes gates i think its the suspension, i looked at all four of the corners where the suspension rods hang and they all look fine. mine sound like its the back two that are making the most noise, its like a creaking noise, like when a kitchen cabinet hinge gets very dry. I'm having sears come out today just to make sure, i just dont want to have one of those youtube episodes! ;o) mine does use alot of water too, but yet is rated energy star. I havent used the water plus feature, on mine you have to start the cycle, then pause the cycle when its filling and press the water plus, then press start. You cant select water plus on mine before the wash or after it has filled, it has to be right in between.

I havent noticed my clothes tangleing like other people say. I can see in the washer when its washing and the clothes do look tangled, but then with the wash motions they seem to untangle themselves.

• Nunyabiz1
    12 years ago

Well I can sorta confirm on ours that the Sanitary gets to 155 degrees at around the 2 hour mark. Was not a digital thermometer so could have been between 152-156, "looked like" about 155 to me. That is of course assuming our candy thermometer is correct.
    I do have a digital meat thermometer but batteries were dead on it the day I tried the sanitary cycle.
    Has fresh batteries now though after Thanksgiving, might try it again if we feel like Sanitizing something but that is honestly a cycle I doubt we will use more than once a year, just don't really see the need.

The Soak addition is more of "add on" to what ever cycle on the LG.
    You can add a "Soak" to virtually anything, a Sanitary Soak is 3 1/2 hours, Bright White Soak is over 2 hours.
    In fact if I add water and add 2 rinses its probably over 4 hours.

I think the reason this machine probably cleans better than most is the fact that it has several cycles that actually use ENOUGH WATER in order to get proper agitation.
    You also can use the normal cycle and put in a small load and you are using just a small amount of water but still enough to cover the clothes.

I have noticed no "clothes tangling" anymore than any washer I have ever owned in over 40 years, so I find people that complain about that to be a bit looped.

This washer will hold at least as much if not more than any front loader, not to mention if you load up a front loader full all the time you are putting a much bigger stress on the bearings than any Top Loader because of the design of it.
    We have only had one load so far that mostly filled it up and that was a over sized Queen down comforter and a 3'x2' bath rug and it handled it without a hitch.
    We do laundry for 3 people, my wife and I plus I do my 94 year old mothers laundry each week also.
    Between the 3 of us we can't actually fill this tub with any one load, unless we were to just wash everything all together like towels, jeans, delicates and whites, which would be ridiculous.

• mark40511
    12 years ago

So I wonder WHY LG he TL washer uses more water yet the Whirlkentag doesn't?

I would never own an HE TL unless it was the LG waveforce based on what I have seen.

My Duet is coming up on seven years old.

• gates1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think the reason the LG uses more water is because the engineers listen to the compliants on the WhirlKenTag models and designed them to use more water to help avoid that complaint coming from owners.Only on small loads and on cotton/normal does this washer get more frugal with the water levels, unless thos items have some weight to them. I will check my sanitary cylce temp when I do Laundry on Friday and report back. I use the cycle often, the time it takes does not bother me in the least. Most of the time, I just do a delay start on the machine and its ready when I wake up or get home from work.

• mark40511
    12 years ago

Gates-

I think this could potentially be my next machine.

But the fact that it is LG makes me a wee bit nervous due to what I've read about service nightmares and parts being on back order. Not specifically for this machine but LG in general, unless that's changed in the past couple of years.

• markb
    12 years ago

@ mark40511,

I don't think I'd be too concerned about parts at this time. When I asked LG to replace the board and temp sensor (you can read why a few posts back), those parts were ordered, shipped and arrived within a twenty-four hour time frame. Pretty darn good if you ask me.

• gates1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

When I had my HE3t washer, the pump had to be replaced while it was under warranty, it drained but made a loud grinding noise. It took them about 5 days to send me the part and another week before sears could send the service tech here to fix it. I had read about the LG slow service prior to my purchase, still didnt stop me.

• fastonetime
    12 years ago

Yes i agree that getting a washer, or whatever fixed under warranty can be a hassle. I have a master protection agreement through sears and i had to have my whole tub replaced in my front load LG washer. I called for service, they couldnt come out for at least a week and when he did come he had to order the parts, which were avalible, but were sent standard shipping, so i had another repair date to fix the washer 1 week later. So in all took two weeks. Yes thats long, but thats what they do i guess, i know its because they dont want to up the shipping to overnight, or two day. I got the part about 5 days later after he was at my house and ordered it in front of me.

I was going to write sears and tell them they should have like an expedited shipping/repair for us who have purchased their outrageous master protection agreements!

• Nunyabiz1
    12 years ago

From my understanding with the LG is you call the repair service and hold the phone up to the washer and it transmits information to them that in some cases should already tell them what they need to order before they even come out the first time so they can get it done in one trip.

• gates1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kenmore elite has that feature on the front loaders made by LG, Im not sure if it applies to the HE toploaders for them or the LG washers.

• mark40511
    12 years ago

Oh that's EXCELLENT!

That's one thing that I HATED when getting a washer repaired (which has only happened to me once)....You schedule a service call.......but you know FULL well that when they come out, they generally are going to diagnose ONLY (not fix!) So... yet Another appt. has to be made. Having the technology to do that so they already know and can fix it in the first trip is GREAT!

• fastonetime
    12 years ago

So i have some very bad news. I told you all that Sears was coming to check my washer for the loud creaking noise. Well A and E came, and took the whole washer apart, im serious. They showed me where the suspension hangs on plastic hangers in all four corners. Well about a few hours after he left i heard a loud boom and the back part of the washer tub is on my concrete floor. The control panel wont turn on, it just keeps clicking. I called sears today and they will come out friday to see and order me a new one of whatever i want. Now im stuck, i dont want another top load after seeing those plastic hinges, how do they hold all that weight? how long will they last? I was doing a load of towels on the towels cycle. I think when A and E started messing with the washer they did something to it. Im serious he had the whole washer top off. Im pissed, upset, mad. I dont know what to get now. Guess im going back to a front loader. I really want an Elexctrolux, anyone have comments on that?

• Nunyabiz1
    12 years ago

Unless you buy some massive all stainless commercial washer for about $10,000 I doubt you will find any today that don't have some questionable parts whether they are FL or TL.

A FL in general will have a greater chance to have bearing problems, seal leaks and mold issues.

• gates1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My guess is Those repair people didnt put your washer back together correctly. I knew of the plastic hangers as you can see them clearly with a flashlight. I wouldnt write off HE TL's, just the service guys who came out to look at it. Electrolux gets good reviews. Some people do not like the push open door but I have played with it in stores and see no issue with it. It wouldnt stop me from buying the set, just the price did. I am sorry to hear about your bad experience. I hope Sears does you right by this bad ordeal. Keep us posted. BTW....yes all washers are loaded with plastic. Some car intact manifold and made from poly too, that doesnt mean they are not strong and cant hold up

• livebetter
    12 years ago

"Unless you buy some massive all stainless commercial washer for about $10,000 I doubt you will find any today that don't have some questionable parts"

"yes all washers are loaded with plastic"

I haven't torn my Miele (W4842) apart but I'm willing to bet it's not full of plastic parts.

I know someone in high end appliance sales and he's been to Germany to see Miele production first hand. He told me if everyone could see this inside of the Miele vs. the inside of every other make, they would buy a Miele. He said, "no one builds them like Miele". This was one of the main reasons I purchased mine.

And no, it did not cost $10,000.

@fastonetime, when I did my research last year, I ruled out the Electrolux early on. I found the controls felt cheap and the "push to open" door would drive me nuts. They also rank very low on Consumer Reports vs. other brands/models.

The most solid FL machine available today would be from Miele. You will pay for that quality however.

Good luck with your decision.

• fastonetime
    12 years ago

I'd love a miele, problem is sears doesnt sell one and i have to get a replacement through sears of my choice. I dont know what they did, but it really pissed me off and sets me back, now i have to go to the laundry mat to wash.

I wished i had a consumer reports subscription, if any of you do, what are their best front load, or he top load washers, that they rated? I really wanted to get electrolux because of the internal build quality, but it uses a belt driven motor and all the ones i've had were DD. Im so lost, there seems to be nothing out there that, wows me anymore.

• sparky823
    12 years ago

Front load listed in order of best to less:
    Wpool Duetwfw94hex-87
    Samsung wf511ab-86
    Maytag maxima mhw6000x-84
    Kenmore 40272-84
    Samsung wf520ab-83
    KMElite4413-82
    Samsungwf331an-82
    Wpool duet steam wfw9700v-81
    LG wm3875h-80
    Miele w4842-80
    GE profile steam wpdh8900-80
    Wpool duet steam wfw 9750w-79
    GE profile wpdh8800j-79
    Lg wm3885h-79
    GE wcvh6800j-79
    Maytag Perf series mhwe950w-79
    LG steamwasher wm2801h-78
    Maytag mhwe550w-78
    Samsung wf330an-78
    Wpool wfw 9050x-77
    Those are the top 20.
    There are 53 models in all. The Electrolux are:
    #30-Elec.IQ steam eifls551-72
    #38-Elec Wave Touch ewfls70j-63
    The rest are Frigidaire, Haier, LG,Bosch GE.There were 53 models in all.

Top Load best to less:
    Wpool vantage wtw7990x-75
    kenmore 2800-74
    Wpool cab wtw5700x-74
    Wpool cab he wtw6800-74
    Wpool cabwtw 6300w-73
    Maytag bravos mvwb300w-73
    Maytag bravos mvwb750w-71
    kenmore elite 2900-70
    Wpool cab wtw5500x-69
    kenmore elite 2947-69
    LG waveforce wt5001c-67
    GE prof. harmonyptwn8050m-65
    That is the top 12 out of 41.
    #15 LG waveforce wt5101h-62
    The rest are GE Haier KM Maytag Hotpoint etc some are conv. top loaders.
    These are from the 2012 CR Buyers Guide

If there is a specific model I didnt include let me know and I will see if I can find it. Hope this helps. The # after the model# is the washers score out of 100.

• fastonetime
    12 years ago

OMG sparky, your the best! Do they also say like how it did on spin cycle, like for the washers, or does it just give a score, i was going to but a consumer reports subscription, but i only need it for like 3 hours to check info on washers lol. I feel stuck, let down, upset, wanna scream! lol. I've spent hours and hours researching new machines and cannot for the life of me pick one. I like the samsung power foam the 520, but i had a maytag neptune back in 2006 that was from hell and was made by samsung. I really love the electrolux, just dont know about the belt driven motor, or some of the reviews. Although the new Kenmores are really Electrolux, the front loaders. They are no longer going with LG anymore for their front loaders. I wonder why go with one brand for a few years then switch? I'm stuck, i really loved my Kenmore (LG) front load, 796.42192 but a year and a half later the bearing went out and the spider cracked on the back of the tub. And i dont even do much laundry, its just really me. My laundry hook ups are in the garage on a concrete floor, as seen in the photos above. Is a everything a lemon now? I mentioned this before, i'd give anything for a 1957 Lady Kenmore!

• fastonetime
    12 years ago

Do they have a report on this one WFW97HEXW, i really like it, but i've read reviews where it doesnt want to spin and takes hours to try and balance for spin. My front load Kenmore (LG) was perfect, barley and noise, always completed on time. I just am not sure about the bearing, do all front load have bearing problems?

• livebetter
    12 years ago

@fastonetime, the 97HEX is #3. @sparky823 is showing the top 3 on the first line (94hex-97 - it says "87" but think they meant "97")

#1 94
    #2 95
    #3 97

My parents have a new entry level LG and it's very quiet. Theirs doesn't have a heater (which I would recommend getting).

Unfortunately, nothing today is going to be made as solid as "yesteryear". Other than Miele, I think many of them are similar. I do think you should be able to get a good 10 years out of a new machine though (at least that's what my contact in high end sales tells me). Miele 20 and most other current brands 10.

As important (if not more) to me is the way in which the machine cleans and rinses. No point having a washer for 10 years if it can't clean.

If I wasn't getting a Miele, I would look for the machine that is "rated" at cleaning really well.

Good luck.

• fastonetime
    12 years ago

i dont know what to get, im confused, lol!

• sparky823
    12 years ago

Sorry I didnt post that exactly right--small print.
    #1-Whirlpool Duet model#
    WFW94HEX,WFW97HEX,WFW95HEX

The 87 that I listed at the side was the OVERALL SCORE. I put the OVERALL SCORE at the end of each model.
    This list the above as follows:
    Wash Perf-Excellant
    Energy Effi-Excellant
    Water Effi-Excellant
    Capacity-Excellant
    Gentleness-Very Good
    Noise-Very Good
    Vibration-Very Good
    Cycle Time-75min.

I would get them to exchange for the same machine you have now. You liked it before and it uses plenty of water to get the clothes clean. If you have problems with the next one then switch to a different model. AND like I told you the other day on the other forum, close the laundry room door and ignore the squeaking rods. LOL I think Gates says the LG squeaks also so that is just part of it's make up. The springs squeak on my front loader sometimes also but it will be 11 years old in Jan. and it runs like a top--only one repair and that was under warranty--door lock/board. I have the Maytag Neptune that has been trashed to death but I have liked mine.

• fastonetime
    12 years ago

what is the info on the 70 model electrolux, i looked today and saw that one of the plastic housings has snapped in a few places, also there is a small dent in front near the bottom of the unit. I already talked to the Sears Exec that has been working with me and he said no problem on replacement, they just wanted to see it. I asked why not just replace it and see it then, he said that its just they wanan see if it can be fixed on spot, or if parts have to be ordered. He also said if any part had to be ordered that i would automatically get a replacement because the unit is about 7 days old. I really like the green color of the electrolux. i like the whirlpool duet, but i've read how people say theirs wont spin the water out fully.

• fastonetime
    12 years ago

any front loader get "excellent" on the vibration?

• sparky823
    12 years ago

ELECTROLUX WAVE TOUCH:
    WASH ABILITY-GOOD
    ENERGY EFFI-EXCELLENT
    WATER EFFI-EXCELLENT
    CAPACITY-EXCELLENT
    GENTLENESS-VERY GOOD
    NOISE-EXCELLENT
    VIBRATION-GOOD

Cycle time 55 min. score 63/100
    I dont understand the Noise is excellent but only good for Vib.I would think if it vibrates much it would have a much lower score for noise.

About Vibration--The Samsungs are the ones rated at EXCELLENT for that. All the others are either very good or good--some are lower-Bosch GE LG(some of them)and Frigidaire Affinity.

Let me know if I can check out anything else.

• livebetter
    12 years ago

Noise may not necessarily be related to vibration.

I know my Miele is noiseier than my parents LG but some of the noises come from things like the pump when it's draining water.

• fastonetime
    12 years ago

I had a kenmore 796.4219. What does it say about that one if anything. That was the one the bearing went out. What are the ratings for reliability of electrolux. And what was the breakdown score for the lg 5101 top load. Thanks sparky!

• mark40511
    12 years ago

Hey Fastonetime

OMG- The bearing went out and the spider cracked on your LG Kenmore after a year and a half! Crap!

It's such a mystery to me why some of these washers have spiders (most all made of aluminum). and some are still going after eleven years, yet others dissolve and break apart in such a short time. I've often wondered about the spider corrosion in my Duet that's almost 7 yrs old- but it's still running like it did the day I got it. KNOCK on wood! I would stick with the LG Waveforce. It sounds like they screwed something up. Plastic can be very strong. It's probably plastic designed for that kind of use. Just make sure what EVER washer you get, plug it into a surge protector and NOT the regular electric outlet

• sparky823
    12 years ago

Kenmore 4219-
    WASHING,ENERGY,WATER&CAPACITY--EXCELLENT
    GENTLENESS, NOISE,VIBRATION--VERY GOOD FOR ALL THOSE
    115min cycle time

LG5101H--
    WASH PERF-VERY GOOD
    ENERGY EFFI-VERY GOOD
    WATER EFFI-EXCELLENT
    CAPACITY-EXCELLENT
    GENTLENESS-FAIR
    NOISE-VERY GOOD
    VIBRATION-EXCELLENT
    cycle time 60 min. score 62/100

RELIABILITY:
    FRONT LOAD:

LG-7%
    WHIRLPOOL-11%
    KENMORE-11%
    FRIGIDAIRE-11%
    MAYTAG-11%
    BOSCH-13%
    GE-14%
    TOP LOAD:
    ROPER-6%
    AMANA-9%
    FRIGIDAIRE-10%
    KENMORE-10%
    WHIRLPOOL-10%
    MAYTAG-11%
    GE-12%
    FISHER&PAYKEL-15%

Electrolux not listed--may be counted as Frigidaire?

Hope this helps

• fastonetime
    12 years ago

Hi Mark, yes my Kenmore Elite 4219 was the one that started this whole process, the replacement process. My FL, Kenmore (LG) started to make this horrible loud noise during wash and spin cycle, sounded like a thump, over and over and over. I called out sears and they said it needed a new DD motor assy. but that i was okay to use it, they said the motor assy was just slipping. So about 1 week later it came and they put it on, noise returned about 3 days later. Called Sears out again and they listened for awhile, played with the drum, then figured it out, the bearing and the spider. Why wasnt this seen in the first place? The DD motor assy, was perfect as i kept the old one. So they ordered me a whole new tub assy. that had the spider pre bolted on the back. I was waiting for the outer tub and the bearings. Well service came on the day they said, but one problem, i only had the tub, no other parts. I called sears executive headquartes to complain and they advised me that the parts were on back order for a month or more and offered me a replacement washer under my master protection agreement. So i went ahead with it and here i am today, 2 months later, still deciding on what to get! :O(

• sparky823
    12 years ago

Dont you think that if they had left the machine alone it would still be fine today, other than the plastic squeak? I know as I said before that the old Calypsos had this type hanging system(and possibly GE) and I have heard the Calypso make the squeak and creak noise.
    As I told you before I hate to have something new with a "flaw" but I have also felt that sometimes I was too picky and would convince myself I needed to get it checked out only to be sicker(& madder)after service. A car for example, have a small rattle, carry in for service, they take half the car apart to fix it, then when you start home you no longer have that rattle, you have three more to go with it where they took things apart--now that is my luck--and I am thinking"Why on earth didnt I live with one small rattle but it is too late to back up then".
    Just go forward from here and I think I would try another one like you have. It seems like a great washer and you know that the LG made F/L didnt last you very long so maybe this next one will?.
    OH and about Sears using Electolux now instead of LG for front-loaders, I have always been told it depends on who bid the cheapest to build them. Not sure if that is true but I have heard that. Maybe you need to start looking for the 57 Lady Kenmore!

• fastonetime
    12 years ago

You are so right sparky. I shouldnt have called. But ive not owned a top load in awhile and wasn't sure on the noise. It sounded like metal rubbing almost. And i thought at a price of 1600 it should have that kind of noise. You know those balance ball things some lg and samsung FL have. Do youe think they really work? I wished j could find a nice 57. Im going to figure out what to get tomorrow after the sears tech comes and says what happened.

• sparky823
    12 years ago

Oh yeah, I think the ball bearings work to balance the machine. Mine (Neptune) has the balance ring(liquid filled) around it and without that it would probably vibrate but it never has(knock on wood). That was Samsungs idea first I think and then LG followed suite with the ball bearings. The Neptune you had didnt have that feature cause it was made by Samsung before they came up with the VRT or whatever they named it. I heard some people I know--in fact one was a dealer, who had one of those Maytags(Samsung) and he said you couldnt level it but I think they were blaming it on the motor some way. Let us know what you decide.

• fastonetime
    12 years ago

It was a terrible machine. It walked all over the floor during spin. Id put a load in and at the end the washer would move about 2 feet to the left. Never wanted to fully spin the water out of every other load. It was mah9700aww if im remembering right. I think the control board had something to do with it or the sensors/suspennsion. It was bad. The feet could be leveled and i always made sure it was level but never helped!

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations