Return to the Laundry Room Forum

o
My new LG Wave Force washer Review

Posted by gates1 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 2, 11 at 19:50

I got my Wave Force washer Model WT5101HW yesterday and we installed it ourselves since Home Depot doesnt deliver from Va to NC. The set up was easy, we had to reverse the dryer door due to the fact that our washer sits on the right of the dryer. My dryer is gas, but we had to change out the orfice for LP since that is what is availible to me. A electric dryer was not an option as electric rates here are really high. The process was simple and instructions on how to install the orfice are in the box that we bought seperately from a supplier. LG should give customers the option, as Miele does, natural gas or LP from the factory. My 9 plus year old Kenmore HE3T washer was starting to die after a long trouble free life. Sometimes it didnt want to spin a full or mdium sized load at full spin speed, like it was having balancing issues, and recently, it would dispense the fabric softener in the wash cycle and the soap in the rinse cycle.

After watching the video on youtube about the waveforce washer destroying itself in the spin cycle while washing a comforter, we placed behind the washer and on the right side, because there is a wall there also, two 4x4 boards on the floor,in the event the washer wanted to move. Now it cant hit the wall now or the hoses in the back and crush them. The washer needed no leveling at all, so that sped things along.

The first thing I washed were about 4 large dog towels and a door mat that were filthy from us tracking dirt and water(snow melt)into the laundry room during the installation. I thought I would test the cold water wash cycle on this light cream colored towels. I used Powdered tide with bleach on them and that was it. They came out as clean as if I washed them in in hot water. I was amazed to say the least, as I rarely wash in cold water, usually warm or hot.
Today, I did a THICK king size matress pad, which fills the washer up to top holes on the tub when dry.I used the bulky/bedding cycle and it handled it with ease, came out spotless, and smelling clean and fresh. During the rinse cycle, there were no soap soads visible. When using the B/B cycle the washer will fill up to three holes from the top of the machine. This is certainly enough water for a clean wash and proper rinse. It does not skimp at all! Load number two consisted of two sets of flannel king size sheets and 4 matching pillow cases. They came out nice and clean, no issues with the load being unbalanced, powered detergent not dissolving in cold water, or any abuse to the fabrics. I aslso modifed the spin speed to the highest spin possible which is 1100rpm, and still no spining issues. Yes there is a little viberation in the spin cycle, but nothing that is offensive, or that can be felt in the same room or other parts of the house. Now I am washing some colored clothes on the normal cycle as I type this. Last night I did whites, I used the sanitary cycle, which performed with excellent results, socks are white as new and undies are clean. I used Gain HE powder on those and thats all.

This washer is better at balancing a load better than my FL ever though of doing, even from day one it would take some time for it to finally rev up to max spin speed. I read this was a tradmark of the original HE3T's. The LG does it with ease and it is quite, even the water pump is very quite compared to my old washer and my friends FL Lg's.

The water plus feature is nice as I have played with it. I can add extra water up to 2 times during a wash or rinse cycle. It is not available on all cycles though. No big deal to me on that one. Another thing I like, is once you start a cycle, you can pause the washer, change the cycle without it draining out your water and detergent and starting all over. This is a good feature I think.

The following I knew about prior to buying the water so I am not complaining about it, just just information. The wash temps are "thumb down" big time, so a warm wash really feels cool or cold. I am not thrilled about that, but I knew this before hand and so far it doesnt appear to be an in issue with cleaning performance, but time will tell. I am used to having a heater work in more cycles to boost the warm water and hot water wash. 99% of washer made today have done this, and it is sad too.

The wash motions of the machine are really cool to see. It varies during the cycle and sometime the wash plate just slowing rocks the clothes back and forth, its almost like a soak cycle type of thing. Some people might see this and think nothing is going on in there, but it switches around and yes there is good roll over so to speak in the cycles. It is just not the same thing all the time. In the end, the clothes are coming out clean..those nasty towels proved that to me!

As it stands now, The LG washes as good as my FL did, maybe better, the cold wash cycle sure impressed me big time. I washed whites in my old FL once and had to redo them, socks were not clean enough for my liking, so I scrapped the cold wash after that.

THe matching dryer is excellent! It handled the comforter, and huge matress pad. Like usual, the matress pad rolled up into a ball, like it did on every other dryer that I have owned or used in my life. That is just nature of the beast from a dryer that turns in one direction only. I learned to just cut the cycle time in half and unroll it and restart it. The two sets of king sized sheets dried very good, no over baking or hot to the touch when they came out. One neat feature on the dryer is the sensor that will alarm you if there is a blockage in your dryer vent exhaust system, it monitors airflow and if restricted it will warn you about it. It is very quiet and has excellent airflow, seems like more than my old dryer too. My old dryer was also good and trouble free and still works, but I will sell it. I wanted matching set and a steam dryer.

I will continue to do more updates on here and if anyone has a question, just ask me :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My new LG Wave Force washer Review

Thanks! I had actually been waiting for your update after you stated your would be delivered in Dec. Really good review. I too was worried about the warm v. hot water, but I'm very satisfied after 2months.
I forgot to mention one plus that I thought was neat: the "Fabric Softener" button not only pushes out in spray, but longer as well. This helps clean the fabric softener compartment. I'm wary of too much HE and fabric softener now-a-days.

o

GREAT! What a awesome feature, that you can pause the cycle without the water draining, and having to start over & losing the detergent. Miele's pause "feature" is basically a cancel and start over...but I know it is because it's a front loader.

I would consider an he toploader, but I never can part with a Miele dryer. Having sheets, towels, blankets and other items turn into a big, hot & moist ball due to the dryer turning only in 1 direction for the dry cycle is a never for me. I'm so happy the dryer worked well though, besides the balling up issue.

I enjoyed your review, and love how much water your machines fills during the wash cycles. Awesome. Can you post some pics or a video link??

-larsi

o

larsi, the Miele W48XX do indeed have a pause feature, activated by pushing the Pause button briefly. Hold it too long, and you cancel the cycle. It won't pause if the water is too hot, or the water level is too high. Frankly, I've found the W4840 to be somewhat unpredictable as to when it's willing to pause, and how long it takes to unlock the door sometimes. But the feature is there.

o

Larsi, I only get the balled up effect on sheets, towels seem to come out just fine. Last night I finished my clored clothes. My flannel shirts came out nice, no crinkled collars or and such. I read in the manual, that wrinking is caused by over drying or over loading a dryer. This dryer when used on the default setting doesnt not over dry at all. You can actually feel tiny bit of moisture in the clothes.

I found out also that the normal/cotton cycle is the "miser" or as I named it, the "tight wad" cycle. It will use less water in it. If ithe inpeller senses too much restriction, then it will add more. I did my work clothes on this cycle and it made the appropriate water adjustments accordingly. I also learned that when using the Normal/cotton cycle, or heavy duty cycle for loads that over 8lbs that is ehen the Wave force water jets kick in. During the wash cycle, the drum will spin in one direction and due to centrifical force, water will come out of these 6 jets and seriously spray the load. It is quite awesome to see, I can really see how this can help clean the clothes, but not using an aggressive agiatation. I will try to do some pics later this week on my day off, but I will need some instructions on how to post them on here. What would you like to see my take pics of or video?

o

gates, I've been waiting for your post. It appears you are happy with the machines so far. I still am as well.

I was stoked on getting the Xlarge capacity of the washer to clean our comforter, but after seeing that You Tube video I'm afraid to try washing it. The comforter is a king and quilted-like that is VERY thick/padded sort of. It's fairly weighty dry due to thickness and size so I can't imagine the weight of it wet stuffed inside the washer. I'm really afraid to even try it. I figured I'd mention this since you washed a King mattress pad (I'd like to see a pic of that on your bed to see how/if it compares to my king comforter though a comforter is always a lot larger).

One day I loaded up the washer to the top of the drum with darks and let it go. The drum inside was moving back/forth so much I thought it was going to break, so I look some items out and continued on. I guess I can't get the You Tube video out of my head so I'm afraid to try XL loads. I can see why the motor has a 10 year warranty.

I always wash with cold water (except sheets and towels) and everything comes out nice, even whites on normal/cotton, but next time I'll try them on sanitary to see if there is a difference.

One thing I don't like about the dryer is that it doesn't have a "clear" button like my old one did. For instance, if I check a dryer load with 10 mins left and all is dry, I remove the clothes and immediately add a new load to the dryer. I have to turn the machine off, then on, then press what options I want. The old clear button used to just clear the electronic pad so I can program what I want without having to turn the dryer off just to turn on again. Anyone find a way around this?

Anyway, thanks for your post. I'll be looking for updates.

o

debi, When I washed my comforter I made sure that when I placed it in the washer that it did indeed fit properly, not me pushing it down in it. I do have another comforter, that I rarely use, but I want to start using it. Laundering it will be a challenge, as it sounds just like the one you described. I washed it once in my FL that I had, it was a 3.7cu ft capasity, and let me tell you, I crammed it in, and I know Im not suppose to do it. I had to hold the door shut till it locked. It was not dirty, but I wanted to freshen it up. It ran ok in the washer, my FL didnt throw a fit with it in there, but it did need more room. Maybe the LG can handle it, I will find out soon enough. As far as your full load of clothered clothes, goes..I think you would of been fine to keep all of them in. I can understand your concern after watching that Video. I too, watched my machine like a hawk when I ran my big stuff through it, but it all worked out just fine. The guy in the video clearly stated that he washed the comforter and a few other things. You are suppose to wash comforters by themselves according to the manual. Also he used the normal/cotton cycle as I can see it clearly on my big 26 inch monitor, that was mistake number two he made. I feel bad for him, but he is on his second machine, so I cant help but think it was owners error in this case.

o

Gates, I'll be curious to know how your machine handles your thick comforter (I'm assuming it's a king size?). Whenever I wash blankets or the like, I always wash them solo unless they are lightweight enough to handle more than one. As for my comforter, I'm certain nothing else would even fit in there with it, it's that large & thick. I'm not one to "stuff" my clothes or items in the washer in order to get more in, but the size tells me this comforter will be stuffed in there. I guess I should try it for fit. LOL.

So, let me know how you make out.

If anyone knows anything about the dryer dilemma I stated above, let me know, but I think it's probably just how the thing is suppose to operate.

o

I got the dryer so I will play with it on my next load of loads and see if I can figure something out

o

gates1,

Congratulations on obtaining your set. I am glad you are enjoying them.

o

Did some more laundry today. I washed one of the cotton blankets size size with a matching matress pad. Lets just say I pushd my luck with this load It wash good, but due to the weight of the blanket, I beleive it is right up there with a cinder block, it wouldnt spin. I loaded the blanket on one side and the matress pad on the other, and the washer was FULL, maybe too full. Even when I had a standard TL or alway gave me trouble in the spin cycle, and in my fl too. So I took out the matress pad and spun the blanket alone. Maybe if I load it differntly or wash it with with the other heavy one it will run on its on. I am not surprised by these results at all,I expected it to be honest. The tub is so big in this washer, there is a lot of room for it to go and gather up. My sheets and blanets came out just fine. Im still happy with this washer, no regrets yet, just a learning curve once again as when I first got my FL

o

Gates 1:

Glad you are enjoying your new machines. When you dry your sheets, try folding them first like you would when you get them out of the dryer to put away. See if this helps prevent them from balling up so much.

I do this and it works for me and I have told others who say it worked for them also.?

o

Thanks for the tip Sparky823, I will try that the next time I wash them. Yes so far, I am really enjoying my new machine. I will be using it tomorrow morning when I get home from work. I got some pillows I want to wash as well.

o

I washed two king size pillows today in the LG. They came out much cleaner than in my old FL. These pillows like to hold air inside of them and float in the wash, so you may have to help them along and push them under the water. The washer filled up with water on the bulky cycle to wash them. I am very happy with the results with the pillows.

o

Have you washed that heavy king comforter yet?

o

Debi, no I haven't washed it yet, due to the weather, I prefer to line dry it if possible. i have a feeling it will be fine, that heavy when we Egyptian cotton blanket washed fine, yes I had a spinning issue with it, but the washer stopped itself. I rearranged the blanket and all went well

o

Gates

So your HE3t died aye? I was wondering about that....Hopefully my Duet will last another few years. It will be six years old in April. The only problem I notice my Duet doing that it didn't used to do is when it's doing the first or second interim spin after the wash or the first rinse, it won't always ramp up to the medium spin speed, sometimes it's more like a low spin speed. The final spin is always max, but those interim spins don't always go to the medium like they should............Other than that, it's fine and it only happens occasionally........

I saw a vid of the Wave Force. It looks cool.........I hope it lasts.......I know it uses a LOT more water than the Whirlpool HE TL washers do.....And you don't need pedestals......Still......After having front load.....I'm very torn. I just don't know about a TL HE washer...I'm torn.

I HATE to say this but the kid in me wishes my Duet would die so I could get a new toy.....But the adult in me knows that's ridiculous thinking....

o

Mark, So far I havent missed the pedistals on my new set, not as much as I thought I would anyway. I roo was torn between replacing it with another FL or going the TL route. I even considered fixing the FL myself, getting the repair manual and parts. After adding up how much parts would cost me, and then finding out Home Depot has this washer on sale for 698. and the ftyer too, I seen no point in fixing a 10 year old machine. As much as I thought my old dryer was doing an excellent job, the LG does Circles around it in performance. Its not any faster than I can tell, but for example, when you dryer a load of clothered clothes..aka, Flannel shirts, T Shirts and such, I use the cotton cycle. It has a medium heat setting, and I do not select more dry. They goes come out so nice! No crinked up collars, or flip up edges around the buttons and on the bottom. All in all, I feel like I made a wise decision, and it is performing flawlessly for me, even with the thumb down wash temperatures

o

Hi Gates1, I was searching for info on the LG front loaders tonight and stumbled on this new Youtube video for your top loader HE machines. Thought I would post for you.

Also found this one for the front loaders I was searching (WM3885). I thought I had it narrowed down to Miele or Bosch but I'm really intrigued by these LGs. They may not be as solid as a Miele but they are larger and have some nice features.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa5tn4GpPuo&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

How do you find the build quality of yours? Hope you're still enjoying them!

Here is a link that might be useful: LG Wave Force

o

livebetter, I cant find anything wrong with the build quality of my washer and dryer. Its huge capasity is a plus for me with all the king size bed linens I have. It just takes some reading of the owners manual and some common sense as to what you can wash in the machine. No u cant put the whole house in it, just because its tub is large. I have no performance issues with either of them so far. I can honestly say, I do not miss my old FL like I thought I would. The washer is but you can make it fill up if needed or desired.

o

Debi, I tried to put the huge king size comforter in m LG. I have to push down on it to get all of it in the machine. Honestly I do not thing I would attempt to wash such a large item in it. I do not think it will wash and rinse properly, When it get wet, it may be too heavy for the machine, as we have witnessed in the youtube video and it is not worth taking the chance of damaging the machine. It would void my warranty for sure. One just must use common sense in washing such large or heavy when wet items in any washer.

o

Gates, thanks for that update. I had a feeling mine would be too big and too heavy once wet. I guess some things are left to the laundry mat or dry cleaners.

Glad to read you are happy with your purchase.

By the way, do me a favor, next time you wash in cold (or I suppose hot would work as well), during the spin cycle, let me know if you can feel cold air coming from the lid surroundings. Kind of like you would feel air at a window seal. I noticed this for the first time yesterday that I could feel cold air during the spin cycle at 3 sides of the lid. I'm trying to find out if it's a seal issue or just normal.

I may end up posting this question as a separate post if I don't get feedback from others within this post.

Thanks.

o

Debi, I am washing now so I will check for the air leak that you mentioned and get back with you shortly. I haven't noticed it so far, but then I haven't looked for it either.

o

I got your update Debi. the washers lid is not meant to be airtight. mine lets air escape during the spin cycle and there is not need for concern. the washers lid does not need to hold in clothes and water like a front loading machine.

o

Once again, thanks Gates. I wasn't sure if it was a defect since I didn't feel the cold air on all four sides, just the back, right, and maybe the front, but not on the left.

o

Your welcome Debi, happy to help anytime:)

o

Here is something I learnd on my waveforce yesterday. I washed a good size load of clothes on the normal/cotton cycle which is suppose to use a spray rinse on it instead of a deep rinse by default. The washers sensed that it was a full load and opted out of the spray rinse and did a deep rinse instead. It was a load of dish towels, yes I have 6 drawers full of them. Pretty nifty I thought, it made sure the soap was out

o

Just fyi, the normal and heavy duty cycles will always use the jet spray rinse, unless you select certain modifiers, coldwash is one of them, fabric softner is another. I haven't tried the stain care so that may use a deep rinse as well. Heavy duty will kick the waveforce feature in big time if the load is more than 8 pounds, the normal will also perform the waveforce action on loads over 8 pounds, just not as vigorous as the heavy duty cycle. Hope this helps.

o

I did use the cold wash feature the normal cycel cycle, no extra rinse or or FB. When the say 8 pounds or more, is that dry clothes or wet clothes that weight that much. Sometimes I see the waveforce action more so than other times and I am trying to figure out whats making it happen or not happen. I love the soak cycle, havent tried stain care yet. I will try too this week when I do laundry. I will have a pile of clothes to do since I am working a lot of overtime and the work clothes are piling up, all seven nights worth.

o

It's 8 lbs dry. Cold wash will use a deep rinse rather than the jet rinse. Waveforce kicks in on the heavy duty cycle with 8 or more lbs of dry laundry.

o

While washing today on the heavy duty cycle on my waveforce, I had a large load in it and wave force either didnt kick in, or it was faint. I figured out why too. This action only takes place at certain times during the spin wash rotation. It depends on the load size, amount of water in the tub, and when the tub spins, how balanced it is at the time. If it is not balanced too well, then the tub will not spin fast enough for the water to be centrifically forced up through the water jets at the top of the machine. I had a load of towels in it last week, and wave force kicked in and sprayed them like a fire hose.

While washing my oily dirty/smelling work clothes today, Ive come to the conclusion that my waveforce does in deed clean as well or even better tha my FL did. I washed my work clothes in hot water (120 degree's) tried again the fabreeze laundry odor eliminater in it at the max amount recommended. IT worked! My work clothes can be worn out in public now without people looking at you like you got something wrong with you. I used this in my FL on the sanitary cycle in the past (153 degree water) with little improvement on the smell of them when they were finsished. Maybe the extra water my washer uses made the difference. Mabe it helps cut the smell and such. As far as cleaning goes, they look the same on the point. I am happy that they no longer have a oil smell to them. Afte using my washer for almost a month now I can say this about it. It is NOT a true HE washer, nor is it a TRUE conventional Toploader either. You can make it be either, with the use of some common sense. The only issues I had with a conventional TL are these: Agatators limit space, damage clothes and dont clean as well. I never had an issue with the water they use, heck, my wave force will fill all the way up too if needed, just like a old fashion toploader. I really believe this washer is the best of both worlds in the battle against HE VS non HE Machines.

o

I've had the LG WT5001CW since September. I've washed a queen and full down comforter in one load, and 4 down pillows in another load, with no trouble whatsoever. I'm not sure how heavy your blanket is, but if it's less than 8 pounds, you should be okay. The video of the 2nd blown up one? Inexplicable.

o

Moonspinner, thanks for the advice. It is easier for any washer to balance two items VS on large item. I will probably wash my KIng size thick comforter on a day when I can hang it out to dry. At the rate its going, it may still be a while.

o

Guys (that's unisex) - quick question: I did a couple of loads on Sanitary (bedding/sheets) and it went to 2hrs+. I saw a lot of slow spinning, full of water - is that normal? I didn't spend the whole 2hrs watching, but when I did pop my head in, it was still full of water and on the slow spin. I never watched the completion, but the bedding/sheets appeared clean.

o

ys this is normal. On the sanitary cycle, it does a lot of slow spinning, during this time, the water is being heated by the internal heater. The spinning is circulating the water through the clothes. It is not a constant "wash" per say as in a front loader with a santitary cycle. Ive used it numerous times and always get great results. The extra time is due to the water being heated to 158-160 degrees.

o

Perfect, thank you. I had a feeling it was doing what you explained. You just confirmed ... ;-)

o

I noticed today on my washer that when I wash in cold water, and select the cold wash cycle button, that the washer does not add any hot water to the tub. It is tap cold. Well powered detergent doesnt dissolve to well in 55 degree water as I found out by stopping the washer and checking the dispenser drawer and yes I took a digtal therometer to the water and checked it. I havent yet washed in just cold without the cold wash button cycle pushed. I want to see if this makes a difference in the water temperature.

o

Interesting... the Harmony, which is the WaveForce's predecessor, has separate "cold" and "tap cold" settings.

o

Waveforce option just adds more time to the wash and I more vigorious agatation but it seems to work. I even got brave and tried it on some whites. It seemed to work fine, not sure how long tern use would do on it and I dont want "Donkey gray" whites If my parents read this, they will flop out that I did whites in cold water..

o

Hi everyone! I've enjoyed this discussion for the past couple of weeks as I've done "washer research". :) And, I finally did decide on an LG WT 5001. So far, I am pretty happy with it. The load capacity blows my mind! I do have a couple of questions I thought someone here might be able to answer. In the store, there was a little model of this washer intended to show it's unique functions. When it was turned on, the water seemed to cascade down over the top of the tub and onto the clothes during a spin cycle. Is this what has been referred to as "deep rinse"? Or, is this the "wave force" action? Either way, mine has never done that, and I've washed probably 10-12 loads by now. (one of them fairly heavy with blankets and towels) Also, the store rep. told me that water is supposed to spray down from the little blue nozzle beside the detergent compartment? Does that happen in anyone else's machine? I've never seen mine do that either. The owner's manual is not very detailed at all.

Also - sorry for all the questions, but might as well get them all out at once - we never see any suds at all. And, I'm not even using HE detergent. Shhhh....that's a big NoNo, but the Home Depot guy said he uses regular and just cuts it by half. Maybe I'm overcompensating for it not being HE and I'm not using enough?? My kids looked in the drum yesterday (they're always going in there to watch it) and said "Mom, I think you forgot to put soap in here." Maybe it's just not supposed to suds up regardless, but just thought I'd ask. Alright - sorry again for rambling this much, but I'm interested in the opinions of those who've actually used this machine and not just the LG and Home Depot reps. :) Thanks!

o

The cascading water over the clothes during the Wash/Spin is the wave force action. It happens on load 8lb or more. It depends on the load size and amount of water in the machine. It seems to work mainly on the Normal/cotton cycle,and heavy duty. A deep fill rinse take place if the fabric softener button is selected or and extra rinse is added to it. The little blue spray nozzle is the sray rinse and not recommended for large loads as stated in the ownwers manual and to be honest is quite useless as I used it on a small load of whites the other day to see how well it would work.

o

dbett - I used HE detergent as it is recommended for an HE machine. I used the indicated amount and don't get any or very little suds. I thought maybe I wasn't using enough, but my clothes always come out clean, and smell clean.

BTW Gates, I wash almost everything in cold, including whites (with some bleach) and they come out nice. I do wash sheets and towels in hot though.

o

Im glad your enjoying your LG Debi, I will continue to experiement with the wash temps on different items and see how it goes. I have no issue with the smell of chlorine bleach, just not fond of using it due to its damaging ways over time. I recently tried the Clorax Ultimate bleach, a creamy white thick liquid,,,works very nice!

o

This is exciting for me...as I have prev posted my woes about my Calypso and am very gun shy about getting a new He washer. Does the Wave force machine allow you to soak clothes if needed, as in the occasional need to soak items in bleach?

o

Gates: Oxiclean is another way to get those whites white without the liquid bleach or using that 1.5 hour white cycle. Just a thought. Something about having a cycle run more than an hour bothers me.

Jules: There is a soak button located on the "special use" option. I haven't had a need to use it yet.

Unlike Gates, I haven't experimented with many options. I just select my "usual" option pertaining to the load I'm washing, and hit the button accordingly. BUT, since I have the 5101 unit, I suppose I should "play" to see what this thing is capable of. That's why I enjoy Gates' comments. She's a player LOL!!!

o

dbetts - I use He detergent - probably more than the recommended amount - and I get a little suds as it fills. Not a lot of suds, in fact barely noticeable.

Jules - Mine has a soak feature, but I haven't used it yet.

Anyone with the 5001, have you figured out how to wash delicates? My dryer has a delicate setting, but the washer doesn't. Thanks!

o

Ohhhh Debi...Gates is a male, not female...LOL Yes u can soak clothes in the washer, it works well. Nothing wrong the hour plus cycles, I use them all the time and I hook a killowatt meter up to the washer and it uses so few amps, less than a house vacuum cleaner. No worries there Debi

o

Gates - thanks for the post on the energy usage, I was wondering about that, with no way to test it!

o

Mr..... Gates....sorry about that. I bet you got a good chuckle out of that one. But, you are still a player!! Love your review comments.

o

Not a problem Debi...and yes i did. I too dont knows what sex i am responding too. Thank for enjoying the review comments :)

o

Hi gates, debi or anyone with this LG 5101. Any issues with the machine in the last few months? Thanks

o

Hi Mayanne, I have had no issues with my washer yet. I've had it almost 3 months now and it gets a lot of use. Any questions, feel free to ask me okay

o

Nope. I wash anywhere from 1 to 3 loads per week and it's been fine.

o

My machine was delivered about a week ago. It washes clothes beautifully. But I have a major problem with it. There are scratches appearing on the edge of the lid where the gray plastic rim is. I haven't even put a laundry basket there. Don't know what's causing them and at the rate I'm going it's going to look beat up in a couple of weeks. Bought it at Best Buy. Not sure how to handle this. Very disappointed. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm hoping that I have a defective lid.

o

to: maryanne2008,

I just wanted to let you know that another member
(washerman8) who 1st posted on 02-26-11 stated that he was
having problems w/his LG-wt5101hw. Washerman8 stated that
the problem was his slow spin speed was anywhere from 930 to 1100 rpms. To me that is NOT SLOW my cloths would be a MESS. Washerman8 has not posted since 03-01-11. So I am
not sure if the problem was fixed. He did say that LG did
not want to give him a replacement machine. Also, maryanne
you due know that the TEMPS. on the LG Waveforce are dumbed
way down. Some people seem to not have a problem with this others in other forums I have read HAVE.

Chance1

o

I have not yet experienced a problem with the dumbed down temps in the Wave force, and I came from a FL that used the heater in most cycles to maintain or boost the water temperatures. Warm was 105, cold 70, and hot 130 and up to 153 degree's. So far m clothes, and whites look the same as when I used my FL

o

I had a problem with the "pause" on my machine. Rather than the tub emptying after eight minutes, the water sat there and I had to empty the tub manually. No big deal except that the machine already has a glitch. I contacted Best Buy and they'll replace the machine with the same model or I can choose something else.

I love the way this cleans and have not read such positive user reviews of any of the Maytags and certainly not the Whirlpools. In a quandry about what to do.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Anyone consider a different model?

o

If you want to stick with a HE TL, just have yours replaced, since you like it so much, Thats my thoughts on it

o

maryann2008,

As you may have already read, I have a problem with my washer spinning at the extra high speed no matter what spin speed I select. Another tech from a different company checked out my machine and observed the machine doing exactly what I said it was doing. He called LG and a rep. from tech support informed him that LG did not have enough information on this machine, and that maybe I should choose another model.

I know for a fact that this machine is a lemon because I have tested 3 other machines that was plugged in at the stores. All three spun slowly when I selected the Spin Only cycle with low spin speed. My washer spun at 1100rpms on every cycle.

I am in Italy right now on vacation. I had my machine checked on 3/16/2011. The rep at Best Buy said it would take up to 5 days to process my order. The tech should have emailed them back his observation and hopefully I will have my washer replaced.

o

First of all, I did decide to get my 5101 replaced with another one.

Question: How do you know the speed of your spin cycle? Is there a read-out that I'm missing?

Unrelated question: How many of you bought warranties for your machine?

o

Nancyb, I too know washerman has had issues with his speed cycles, as he posted them on this site. I guess, Im not a good example in this issue because I spin everything at top speed, and yes I mean EVERYTHING. I did it in my FL that I had too with no reprocussions at all. I did buy the extended warranty on my wave force because it cost me 75 bucks for 4 years. When I had my Kenmore HE3T which was 9 yrs old, I paid at the time 150 for it and I used it on my dryer and Sears was all too happy to charge 80 buck just to walk in my front door on top of the parts and labor. Though I never had to use the warranty on my washer, it was still well worth the money I spent on the extended warranty after the manufactures warranty ran out. I was covered for 5 yrs, and at the time with american made FL, I thought it was a good choice. When I bought the LG, the price I paid for the warranty will cover one repair if needed on my washer or dryer. SO for 150 bucks both are covered for 5 years, if either of them croak after that, then I am on my own. I got such a great sale on them both, under 700 a pop, I will replace them before I sink 700 in them if needed.

o

Just want to say that I have my new LG (replacement). I LOVE it. I hope it lasts. As soon as the steam dryer goes on a deep sale, I will buy that too.

Hoping everyone is still finding their machines trouble free.

o

I love mine! The steam dryer is great, I had the gas model, the steam feature is really good too. The first time I used it, I was outside with my dog and seen all the smoke was blowing out the dyer vent, I ran inside, thought it was on fire! LOL!

o

I had the Bravos (toploader) returned it. It twisted clothes so badly... went to the Samsung (frntloader) that did not clean the clothes even when I washed them 3 times... so I picked the LG Waveforce WT5101HW.

ON the LG...I am very upset... when I wash on Warm Warm... I checked the water and it is cold. How many of you have this problem? When I do the EXTRA HOT... it eventually gets hot because of the internal heater.
I really want warm water do any of you get warm on the Warm Warm cycle???
I am ready to return this washer if I can't get warm water.

o

Lisa, I have an LG FL and same issue with the water temperature. First of all if you have a long water pipe between your water heater and your washer, see if you can run off the cold water standing in the pipes. I have a faucet in my laundry room and turn it on until the water starts running hot and only then I turn on the washer. Also, you could wash on Hot - that will give you warm water in the wash if you don't run off the cold water first. However, on my washer you cannot combine Hot wash with Warm rinses.

So you can work around it a bit but generally the new washers with ATC will result in significantly lower wash temps than what you would expect. Do a search on this forum for wash temperature and you'll see a lot of people with the same complaints.

o

This seems to be a good group to ask some questions. I work in tech support for a company and get questions all the time from consumers and I would like to get some opinions.

How much water is enough water? With the new machines water usage is limited. People call and say how upset/disappointed they are with the level of water. When I ask if their clothes are coming out clean they admit that they are, but they want more water. Is water level more a preception than a necessity?

I have more but I will start with this. Thanks.

o

I won't answer the question about the non-hot water b/c I mostly wash in COLD and it gets everything very clean. I just washed (in cold) an off-white tote that was embedded with dirt and stains and it came out fabulous. I was shocked. I only use hot when washing sheets and towels.

DrPepper: I've owned the LG Wave since Sept of 2010 and find the level of water according to the load input to be just fine. Frankly, it actually allows more water than I thought it would based on other's complaints on this subject before my purchase. There's an "add water" button to add more to a load.

There are a few owners here who have become well acquainted with what this washer/dryer set is capable of (and I thank them all for that and their wonderful reviews), so I'm sure they will chime in.

o

My Waveforce doesnt really wash in the "warm" of a wash as I stated in a earlier post. It does seem to depend on the hot water heater distance from the washer and the tempature of the water coming out of th heater. Like debi, I have done more cold washes with this machine than I ever have with any other washer that I have owned. So far everything has come out as clean as a warm wash. I only use hot for whites, and dish towels. My bathroom towels state to use warm water and my white egyptian cotton sheets label tell me to wash those in cold, which I do and they still look brand new. I was really worried about the thumb down temps, but Ive had no cleaning problems so far with it. If you return your washer, your new one may not be much better in the temperature department. We can all thank the government for that one.

o

Thank you deb. I don't know if I should start a new thread on this or not. I do know that it can be a pretty emotional issue for some people. Frankly, before I started working in this field I had no idea the passion some people have and the attention they pay to these things.

I can understand the fascination with the bells and whistles of these shiny new appliances and playin with all the options, but I have used one basic setting all my life and I have never watched a cycle to see how much water was used or for how long somthing agitates or spins.

o

I don't like my new LG Wave Force Washer and Dryer. It takes a much longer wash time than what my old machine did and its supposed to level the clothes, but it just piles them to one side. The dryer doesn't get the clothes dry. I'm always putting things back in to try and get them dryer. Very disappointed considering the cost of these appliances and wish I hadn't purchased them.

o

j.blaylock, sorry to hear about your bad experience with the LG. Any HE washer wither it is a top loader or fromt loader will have a longer wash cycle time, due to the fact that there is no agitator in the washer to beat the clothes around. My dryer is gas, it it dries better and faster than my old gas HE3T dryer did and I thought it was fast. The one thing I love about my dryer is that it doesnt over dry and bake the clothes with will result in wrinkles and shrinkage. Maybe you can return them if it is not too late. Good luck to you

o

j.blaylock,

It's always unfortunate when new appliances don't meet our expectations. Info on the length of cycles certainly would have been available to you prior to purchase while the uneven distribution you couldn't have anticipated. Initially I was not that pleased with the sensor dry feature in my new dryer (Samsung WF-1254) but in hindsight I realize that it is actually a good feature (Consumer's marks down machines that over dry). I hope you can return them once you have identified a machine that better meets your expectations.

o

Hi Gates (and all)...

I've been enjoying the ongoing reports, and I'm pretty impressed with the reviews of the LGs (looking at the 5001 and the 5101), but I have a problem. My laundryroom-to-be is, ah, shall we say "small"? I have 30" at a stretch in which to pry the washer and dryer.

The specs on these models show the depth of the unit as roughly 28 1/2 inches for the washer, which would work, but then it recommends 4" clearance behind the unit for hoses etc.

Does the washer really need that much space for hoses etc.? Could the hoses be run up (or down) between the wall studs? I've never seen one of these units in person, so don't know what the back looks like....

Then there's the dryer.... I can't open the manual online - the .pdf is damaged -- to see the installation instructions. How much clearance is needed behind the 29" box? Help!

and.. Thanks!

o

Does anyone else have a problem with the washer bumping the sides of the machine? It only happened when I washed jeans. Otherwise I love the machine so far.

o

burntfingers....just make sure there is enough room behind the washer to clear the hoses. I used a 4x4 behind the washer on the floor to make sure it doesnt crush them in the unlikely event that it goes way out of balance. If u can use a small block of wood then use it.

Wandabetht...yes sometimes my jeans will make the tub pump the sides too, usually on the heavy duty cycle. Adding more water will reduce this if it is a concern to you. Its usually a small load of jeans that does it in mine.

o

I just got a wave force and I am wowed!

Can we do down blankets in the washer and dryer? I have the steam dryer.

How do you use oxiclean powder if I use liquid detergent?

Can you steam foam pillows? How do you do it, using the plastic ledge that they include or just in the drum?

Thanks!

o

sjsh_mom....if you use oxiclean, just add it to the drum, detergent to the dispenser. How big and heavy are yor down blankets? Or are they a comforter? I have washed and dried pillows in my machine if they are machine washable and tumbled dried them. I did not use the rack. I never tried to steam a foam pillow because I do not have them.

o

gates 1, they are queen and king sized down comforters. I wonder if spending the $$$ might be better, esp if the previous threads are correct about it taking all day and so many hours in the dryer.

o

sjsh mom.....If the king size comforter is real thick, I wouldnt wash it in the washer because once it get wet, it will weigh a ton and it might be too much for the machine to handle. I would take it to a laundry matt and use a super size washer instead. If you can line dry it, thats all the better too.

o

Thanks gates 1. I may just take it to a laundromat. Now, just to ask, any notice any smells from their machine? I used method fabric softner for the first time in the machine and now I notice a faint musty odor, more in the laundry room (new construction home) and maybe from the machine.... I am thinking about avoiding the softner and trying to run just vinegar in the machine. I do not think it is the drainage as I did have the machine and used it for 2 weeks before I used the softner for the first time. I am quite distressed about this. thanks. (I leave the lid open after washing)

o

No bad smells in my machine and I have had it 10 months now. Maybe the smell is from the fabric soften you mentioned, since you said you didnt notice it till you used it. I seriously do not think your new machine would smell so quickly from mold and such, its too soon for that. I do not use vinagar in my machine, I tried it in the past and didnt see where it made my clothes soft.

o

We just bought the wave force and had a question for you gates. When ever the washer goes into pre spin it seems to shake a little, not bad, but you can tell its shaking. then when it reaches full spin the shaking is gone, does yours do that? we've re leveled it a million times. just wondering if that movement is normal with top load HE washers, as we've had front loads for the past 5 years. thanks!

o

"pre spin"?
You mean before it starts spinning at all?

Also if I am not mistaken this machine is "self leveling".

o

fastonetime...yes I know hat you are talking about. As the machine first starts to spin, and you can watch the tub rotate, it looks off balace, but you can see the suspension compensating for any uneveniness. This is normal, and no it is not a self leveling wash like a conventional toploader like NYNYABIZ 1 stated. The owner has to make sure it is leveled before using it. Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

o

You are right, for some reason I thought it was self leveling.
Probably because when they installed it, it was perfectly level right out of the box I guess.

Yeah I see the tub looking like it is off balance as it just starts to spin, that is totally normal.

o

i know the tub does look like its off balance, but i mean the cabinet and top control panel, when its going into pre spin it kind of shakes, but makes no noise like you can hear the shaking. and then when it revs up it stops the shaking movement and is fine, i was just waiting to call for service to see. I leveled the back legs by accident, as my front loaders i could level all four legs. The back legs are like the front, a nut on them, so im guessing thats there to level them? I gently rock it back and forth and do feel a little give, but the feet are all tight on the floor. I looked at the feet and the have a thick rubber "damper" on the bottom that touches the floor and i think this thick rubber is somehow supposed to absorb the vibration from transferring it to the floor. But it makes the cabinet wobble during pre spin because of that. I wanted to make sure i wasnt causing damage to the back feet by leveling them. I love the machine. Its still alot to get use too. I havent had a top loader since 2005 so its kinda making me nervous, for all the money i paid. Actually long story short, my Kenmore Elite front loader, made by LG needed a new tub and bearing, well the parts wouldnt be able to order for 1 - 2 months. I have a master protection agreement through sears and a sears executive called me and offered me a replacement washer of my choice, up too 1599. I really wanted another front loader, but didnt want the same drum, bearing problems only a year and a half later. So we looked at the LG and liked them. I never had a problem wiht my LG front loader the whole time i had it, until the tub and bearing went bad. The spider seperated from the back of the tub. So let me know how your wave force spin cycle is like next time you wash, id just like to compare it to mine!

o

You may want to check your washer with a level to ensure it is at proper level, since you adjusted the back feet. It must not rock side to side or back and forth. Review your owners manual as to where to place the level. Mine shakes a little during startup but smooths out then. In fact, I want to recheck mine since it has been in use now for almost a year, just to make sure nothing has moved or settled on it.

o

Hi gates, actually i retracted the back feet to the position they were when out of the box. I took a mirror and a flaslight and looked under the back legs, and then under the front. They all look the exact same and all are the same legs. They all go into the same hole, The back legs have nothing that look different from the front to suggest self level. I picked up the washer and tried to pull the back leg down and it didnt come down. Like i thought it was spring loaded or something. I rechecked with the level and everything is within range. Today i washed on normal with extra high and it did shake a little, the washer but then when the spin was hitting full speed the shaking was non existant. I noticed that the feet do have a thick rubber "damper" and that is whats making it "shake" during pre full spin. I watched the rubber on the feet moving like up and down, but they were fully on the floor. I think the rubber is way to thick. Do all top loads shake during pre spin, its never bumped inside the cabinet. I really like it and i saw the wave force kick in today when washing on normal. Really cool. But i didnt see the "spray" jets when do they come on? i thought it was during spin. Also i have some over sized bath towels and have been washing 7 at a time, the tub is barley half full of towels. How do you weight the loads and what is the most lbs of dry clothes per load? I cant find that anywhere.

o

@fastonetime, I found this info re: load weight. It appears it's the same as some of the front loaders (ie. WM3885) (if I'm reading this right).

Dry Linen Capacity >10.1kg

I got this from the attached link. Click on the Download PDF spec sheet link.

I will say, I've seen that machine on Youtube and it does look very cool when it's doing its thing.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: WT5101 spec sheet

o

i went to home depot today and saw the wt5101 is on sale for 799, in silver! I rocked the display washer back and forth and i could feel it move a little when i did that, mine does the same, yet all the feet are solid on the floor!

o

Okay so i was totally wrong for some reason, its a Kenmore Elite 29472, same exact insides as the lg wt5101. I came here to read the reviews and got all caught up in the lg wave force that i kept putting that when i was typing. I just thought i would post some photos of my machine for my mistake. And share how cool this is, and also the touch screen! Im so sorry i messed up, i knew lg made this kenmore, i just kept calling it an LG for some reason! LOL

Photobucket

Photobucket

The dispenser drawer is all white, and so is the spray nossle, instead of blue on your LGS.

Photobucket

This is the first screen i see when i push the power button.

Photobucket

This is one of the many menu screens.

Photobucket

This is another photo of the menu screen. I love how the "delicates" cycle is a photo of a bra, how many of those do i own? (im male by the way :op )

Sorry for the missunderstanding, but this is the same exact machine as your lg wave force, dunny thing isnt it, and its priced at 1640.00 at sears. like i said this was a replacement washer of my choice as mine couldnt be fixed, under my sears master protection agreement. That 200 dollar agreement sure paid off. As my original front load washer, i only paid 1100 for at the time. But they have to give you what the non sale price is of your machine. And you get some numbers to take to any store, pick your washer, or any appliance that your getting replaced and then have it installed next day, free and free haul away of the non working appliance. pretty sweet! Enjoy!

o
RE: re My new LG Wave Force washer Review

Photobucket

o

The LG and kenmore are pretty much the same models. Kenmore has upgraded to the electronic control panel this year. The wave force jets will spray water during the wash and rinse cycle when the tub spins according to the size of the load and weight of it. It doesnt always happen every time you wash something on it though. It sounds like your washer is performing properly. I wouldnt be concerned about the pre spin shake that you see as it disappears as soon as the suspension compensates for it. I load mine to the highest Ring of holes in the drum, no issues with it either. Your control panel is pretty smart looking there. Ive seen it on the Kenmore website recently too.

o

Thanks gates, does yours do the pre spin "shudder" too, sometimes it doesnt do it as bad, i washed about 8 oversized bath towels tonight and it shook a little during the pre spin rev up and then seemed to even out a few minutes later. I dont really have that much stuff to fill it full. I read earlier that you said yours hits the sides when you wash jeans, i washed jeans for the past two days and havent had this happen. I've been reading the manual over and over on all the cycles. The "towels" cycle is slower in motion, when i washed the towels on normal cycle tonight as it says in the manual i can, the wave force kicked in and seemed to clean them better than the towels cycle. I have yet to see that spray jet spray, or the wave force waterspray the loads. I really like the control panel, its very easy to use and fun to use too. I know you saw that video of the guys wave force that "blew up" he was washing heavy stuff on normal, normal is way too, "crazy" of a cycle for heavy things. I've washed 5 queens sized comforters on the bedding cycle, with no problems at all, i keep the spin speed at medium and the soil level at normal and it stays evenly balanced, also the bedding/bulky cycle is a slower cycle, as the wave force doesnt really kick in, like it does on normal cycle. I havent had any problems with the warm water being cold. I flush the faucet nearest to the washer for about 3 minutes untill hot hot water comes out, then i start the washer. If you really think about it, the washer fills for 3 minutes with cold water, if you dont flush the line first. I'll take some more photos of the panel when its washing and counting down the time. I was really dissapointed that the glass lid is a darker tint than the wave force and also that there is not interior tub light. The newer whirlpool and maytag He top loads have that. But then again the lid steams and you cant really see anything. Have you heard of the new LG ThinQ appliances? Including new wave force washer and dryers. They use almost the same control panel as mine, the difference is the control panel/software can be upgraded via flash drive on the washer or dryer. Pretty neat! So cycles, wash, rinse and spin can be improved via the updates. here is a photo of the pair, they also have a chrome piece on the top of the control panel! sweet!

Photobucket

o

Yep, zero doubt that is a LG Wave Force 5101 with just a different control panel.
-------------------------------------------------------
"". If you really think about it, the washer fills for 3 minutes with cold water, if you dont flush the line first.""
-----------------------------------------------------

I have tried to tell this to several people complaining about this washer not having "hot" water or a true "warm/warm" cycle.
If you do not flush the hot water line until you get actual hot water then odds are you will get very little hot water into the tub, its not like the machine can magically turn cold water sitting in your hot water line to hot water.
There was one loon on Amazon that was just ranting like a crazy woman because she says it doesn't have hot water or a warm wash warm rinse and no matter how I tried to explain it to her it made no difference.

But there is zero wrong with this machine in anyway, the warm/warm cycle works just fine and it has a true "HOT and an EXTRA HOT" cycle also.

I am sure you will enjoy them.

o

The machine could use its internal heater to turn the incoming cold water into warm or hot water, no magic needed. Does it do so?

o

Yes it does have a water heater and i think the wt5101 does too, but the wt5001 doesnt, and the 5001 doesnt have a sanitize feature as do the 5101 and the kenmore elite 29472. The reason i think it has the heater is because it has the sanitize cycle and since it has to heat up to 160 to sanitize, thats when i think the heater kicks in. My incoming water temp is at 120. Plus the sanitize cycle, feature on my washer is about 3 hours long. Vs the standard cycle at 58 minutes. So yes flushing the line first does help. Every time i've used hot water on the washer, its been hot, burning hot, its actually had to put some cold water in too, but if i pause the cycle mid fill, steam comes out at me when i open the lid!

o

During my research phase, I spoke with LG about the actual temps of their cycles. These were for the WM3885 but I would think they would all be the same/similar?

LG
Extra hot 70 C (158)
Hot 50 C (122)
Warm 40 C (104)
Cold 25 C (77 F)

No one at LG seemed 100% clear on when the heater would engage. The clearest answer I got was that it was used to boost the temp for sanitary only.

o

Yes livebetter, that is what i think too, just to boost the sanitary cycle. I took a few more photos of the display screen menus, i just noticed tonight that is has a setting for three users to input their own cycles. It also has many icons for that user to choose as theirs, i went with the four leaf clover!
It also has a section that covers almost every stain and how to deal with it either before washing the item, or when washing, i decided to look at the "candle wax" stain suggestion, and look what it says! interesting, each stain has specific details on how to remove it. it has a lot more stains than i showed.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

That's a nice machine! I played with it at Sears during my vacation in L.A. this summer. You can actually even play with the controls of this washer and dryer and also the Electrolux-sourced units at kenmore.com.

I think the heater also kicks in on Bright Whites / Whitest Whites. And, of course, when you select Stain Treat.

Alex

o

""The machine could use its internal heater to turn the incoming cold water into warm or hot water, no magic needed. Does it do so?""
========================================================

Yes it does for HOT but she was talking about "warm wash/warm rinse" cycle.
Plus she said the water "coming into the machine" in a HOT wash cycle was also cold of which I told her that is because the first bit of water that comes in IS cold and the last few gallons IS HOT however if the water in your hot water line is cold because you have not flushed it then that will be mostly cold also.

Although in fact I this dingaling was also saying even the hot doesn't get past lukewarm, which if that is the case then I told her the internal heater is defective.
Because it should get to over 120 which to me is HOT not lukewarm.

o

Let me clarify some stuff here on the internal heat on this machine. I works in the sanitary, and bright whites cylce. Santitary will take it to a max of 160 degrees. Bright white will go to 120 degrees. It is not stated in the owner manual that when you use stain treat that the heater come on. I am currently in the process of finding out exactly what stain treat does. So far from what I have witness, it increases the warm water wash by about 5 degrees. It is not availbe to use in cold or hot wash settings. On friday, I will do more test, and use my kilowatt meter to see if the heater does indeed come on, but I dont think it does, thanks to the USA government for limiting the wash temps of new machines. More to come, I will keep everyone updated

o

The Kenmore manual says, Stain Treat raises the water temp in three steps and maintains the highest temp ("for that cycle") for ten minutes. Recommended for loads of up to 8 lbs.

Alex

o

Let me add to the mix here. While the LG, Kenmore Elite, and the new GE Profile Harmony are essentially the same machines, there are some differences. The heater is indeed active in the "Whites" cycle on both the Kenmore and LG's. The heater is active on the "Stain" cycle on the Kenmore and NOT on the LG (advantage Kenmore).

Regarding the "Sanitary" cycle: the temperature is limited to 140 degrees NOT 158 as is stated in the literature.

Ask me how I know.

o

"temperature is limited to 140 degrees NOT 158 as is stated in the literature"

Huh??

OK ... I'll bite. I how do you know?

Why would the heater not engage on the LG in stain?? That makes a profile wash ... no?

o

Last night i was doing a few loads and when getting in and out of the washer i was hearing a rubbing sound, when i move the drum back and forth slowly i hear it, its coming from where the suspension hangs in the corners of the cabinet. I peeked back there and everything lookes lubbed up and nothing broke. Has any of yours made this creaking noise when moving the drum or moving stuff in and out of it? I just wonder if the suspension is getting "broken in"

I read earlier that Wanda had problems with washing her jeans and that when she did the machine would bump it sides. I've washed already 6 loads of jeans and no problems. But in the manual it says to wash the jeans on the towels cycle, the towels cycle is a slower cycle, than normal or heavy duty. When in normal or heavy duty the machine drains and then revs up to spin pretty fast, this is where i think the banging would occur, when in the towels cycle the washer drains and slowly starts to spin more of the water out, then when it figues its got most out and that the jeans are not heavy it starts to rev up, but at a slower, yet fast speed. Its weird youd have to see it.

o

@livebetter

"Why would the heater not engage on the LG in stain?? That makes a profile wash ... no?"

That indeed makes it a profile wash; something that the Kenmore has that the LG does not which makes absolutely makes no sense to me. If one chooses the staintreat option on the LG, the wash temperature defaults to warm and cannot be changed. Additional water, more aggressive agitation and additional washtime is added. That's it. Not all that effective in my book. Not sure why LG chose this but I suspect it has something to do with certain features being a Kenmore exclusive, something Sears has always required of those that manufacture items for the Kenmore brand.

Regarding the Sanitary cycle, that's another dirty little secret in the appliance industry. LG's frontloaders do infact heat to that temp, for now. When the initial stats came out for the waveforce, that literature stated (and still states) that the sanitary cycle heated the water up to 158 degrees. That information is not correct and LG hasn't bothered to correct it. I'm not sure why. I had measured the wash temp in mine and the heater disengaged when the temp was 140. I called for service and they replaced the entire board and the temp sensor at my request. The heater still disengages at 140.

I have no doubt that the machine does indeed sanitize as that is third party certified by the NSF. I DO have a problem with erroneous information and false advertising.

o

Yes the stain treat on my kenmore and the previous kenmore front load i had made by LG, does infact start out with cooler water then turn up the temp to hot. Lets say you were washing a bunch of dark colors and were washing on cold, but then your clothes had stains and you thought youd use stain treat, well once you choose stain treat the water temp automatically switches to HOT and you cannot change that, unless you opt out of stain treat, but the water doesnt start out hot, it starts out cool then gradually increases the temp. it says it in my manual, that the stain treat uses cooler water to prevent the "set in stains" due to warm or hot water start out temps.

o

Here is what is says in my manual about stain treat, what does your LG manual say? The same? or are they different?

Photobucket

o

i dont know why that photo came out sideways. I was looking o the pdf spec of the lg waveforce 5101 on the lge website, and it says that it holds 10.1 kg in dry linen, this is about 22 pounds. Also it says, leveling feet, 4 adjustable. very interesting as the manual says, auto leveling rear feet. Very weird how they seem to constantly contradict theirselves and their washer.

o

"it says that it holds 10.1 kg in dry linen"

I stated this above. It's interesting to me that the drum is larger and yet weight wise it seems to hold the same as some of the LG front loaders.

I guess it would accommodate bulkier items just not heavier loads? Meaning, I guess you can't fill it up with say ... towels as this might be too heavy a load. You can really only put towels in that are approx 10 kg dry (how many towels would that be I wonder?).

"Very weird how they seem to constantly contradict theirselves"

Or someone is not a good proof reader in LG's marketing department ;)

o

i have the same question about the towels too. In my manual it says "the drum can be filled full, just as long as the lid can close without being forced" now i have oversided martha stewart bath towels that are very heavy when wet, i've been only washing 8 at a time, as im not sure how heavy they are dry. The eight of them only fill up the tub half way.

o

LG manual does not state that the heater comes on in the stain treat cycle, but it does add more time...30 minutes I think. I noticed that when I use it the warm wash fills with warmer water too. They reccomend to wash 8 lbs or less with the stain treat option too. Kemors soak cycle can be extended for several hours too, unlike LG's 30 minutes max time. I cant vouch for the actual temperature of the sanitary cycle but LG's website says it heats the water up to 158 degree's. I guess this will give me something to check on mine the next time I use it. There is no mention in the owners manual as to how hot the cycle is suppose to get

o

Hi gates, i had a question for you. i've noticed that the washer has started to make some like creaking noises, and they seem to be coming from where the suspension hangs on the corners of the inside cabinet. its happened through the wash cycles here and there, never in the spin and sometimes when i rock the tub back and forth gently. i think its the metal or plastics getting broken in. Have you ever noticed that?

Also i was reading all the previous comments and i have never seen the wave force (even though mine is a kenmore) action, also i have never seen the spray nozzle, well spray. What i have noticed though is a gain in lint in the dryer. The lint filter now fills up with thick thick lint, with my front loader washer, then drying it, it barley filled up with lint.

Mine too will fill up fully with water when washing the towels or the bedding, other loads it seems to fill half way with water, so yes i can see how this is not a true HE machine. Over all i like it and i hope it lasts longer than my 1 and a half year old lg front load.

o

Don't know about the max. capacity. I mean, LG put that >10,1 kg thing in their specs for ages. It's probably more of a generic statement they make about capacity. If you want to know how much a washer can hold, just divide the drum volume in liters by ten and you get the kg rating. LG's largest FL has a tub volume of 4.3 cubic feet; that's 121 liters or 12.1 kg laundry. Now, if you go to other websites around the world, you will find that the same washer will have a bigger claimed capacity. Usually, manufacturers "increase" the capacity by extending the wash cycle. This is very, very popular here in Europe. LG's flagship washer (70 liters drum, yet claims 11 kg capacity) nearly takes three hours to complete a normal wash cycle - simply because the rated capacity is way too much for the drum.

I don't know how to calculate the capacity for top loaders, though. Maybe it's the same method? I think front loaders have the advantage that the entire drum revolves - not just (or mainly) an infusor at the bottom. A stuffed FL will still move everything around, while a stuffed TL might struggle to do so - I would think.

I agree with fastonetime's comment that the WaveForce does not seem as High Efficiency as others. In all videos I saw, it used more water than Whirlpool's line-up of HE top loaders. Not a bad thing, though. ;) I'd say look at how much water Normal uses, since it's the one that EnergyStar uses for the rating. It also defaults to a spray rinse.

Here's what the GE Profile Harmony manual says about the Sanitary wash cycle: Use to sanitize and kill more than 99% of many bacteria found in home laundry. This is a cycle with an extra heavy soil setting and uses an extra heater to heat water to 140°F. Either LG is, once again, wrong on the actual temperature of the Wave's Sanitary cycle - or the units are programmed differently.

o
Capacity

LG Mexico rates the WT5101HV as a washer with a "capacidad de 20 Kg".

Whatever... You probably have to get on top of the washer to get that much clothes in!

Alex

o

Fastonetime..yes my washer will make the creaking noise you spoke of during a wash cycle. It must be coming from the suspension somwhere, but it is not annying to me. The spray nozzel comes on in the normal cycle. It is the default spray rinse for the cycle. It is designed for small loads and to over ride it, you select Fabric softener or extra rinse button. I tried to use it on a large load, and the washer got smart on me and overrided the spray rinse for a deep rinse. For the wave force action to spray water through the six jets around the top of the tub (which you cant see too well) the load and water level have to be somewhere in the middle to lower tub. During the wash cycle when the tub spins, centrifugal force pushes the water up and through these jets and it sprays the detergent water back over the load. It is quite impressive to see too.If the load is really large and the tub is full, as in the bulky cycle, it will not work. I have seen it work on cotton/normal, Heavy duty, and Towels. Again, it just depends on the load size and water level.

As whirlpool trainee pointed out, this machine does indeed use more water than Whirlpool, maytag, and samsung HE TL's and you have to option to add even more water if you like. Also, you can max out your two extra rinses, for a total of 4 deep rinses per cycle. This is really great if you are washing something that like to hang on to detergent, like a thick comforter. as for the amount of dryer lint, I have not seen and increase in it from using this machine, campared to my HE3T front loader that I had for 10 years. Im sure the front loaders are more gentle on clothes, so that may account for some of your extra lint. I have not noticed any of my clothes wearing out faster either.

o

Yes gates i think its the suspension, i looked at all four of the corners where the suspension rods hang and they all look fine. mine sound like its the back two that are making the most noise, its like a creaking noise, like when a kitchen cabinet hinge gets very dry. I'm having sears come out today just to make sure, i just dont want to have one of those youtube episodes! ;o) mine does use alot of water too, but yet is rated energy star. I havent used the water plus feature, on mine you have to start the cycle, then pause the cycle when its filling and press the water plus, then press start. You cant select water plus on mine before the wash or after it has filled, it has to be right in between.

I havent noticed my clothes tangleing like other people say. I can see in the washer when its washing and the clothes do look tangled, but then with the wash motions they seem to untangle themselves.

o

Well I can sorta confirm on ours that the Sanitary gets to 155 degrees at around the 2 hour mark. Was not a digital thermometer so could have been between 152-156, "looked like" about 155 to me. That is of course assuming our candy thermometer is correct.
I do have a digital meat thermometer but batteries were dead on it the day I tried the sanitary cycle.
Has fresh batteries now though after Thanksgiving, might try it again if we feel like Sanitizing something but that is honestly a cycle I doubt we will use more than once a year, just don't really see the need.

The Soak addition is more of "add on" to what ever cycle on the LG.
You can add a "Soak" to virtually anything, a Sanitary Soak is 3 1/2 hours, Bright White Soak is over 2 hours.
In fact if I add water and add 2 rinses its probably over 4 hours.

I think the reason this machine probably cleans better than most is the fact that it has several cycles that actually use ENOUGH WATER in order to get proper agitation.
You also can use the normal cycle and put in a small load and you are using just a small amount of water but still enough to cover the clothes.

I have noticed no "clothes tangling" anymore than any washer I have ever owned in over 40 years, so I find people that complain about that to be a bit looped.

This washer will hold at least as much if not more than any front loader, not to mention if you load up a front loader full all the time you are putting a much bigger stress on the bearings than any Top Loader because of the design of it.
We have only had one load so far that mostly filled it up and that was a over sized Queen down comforter and a 3'x2' bath rug and it handled it without a hitch.
We do laundry for 3 people, my wife and I plus I do my 94 year old mothers laundry each week also.
Between the 3 of us we can't actually fill this tub with any one load, unless we were to just wash everything all together like towels, jeans, delicates and whites, which would be ridiculous.

o

So I wonder WHY LG he TL washer uses more water yet the Whirlkentag doesn't?

I would never own an HE TL unless it was the LG waveforce based on what I have seen.

My Duet is coming up on seven years old.

o

I think the reason the LG uses more water is because the engineers listen to the compliants on the WhirlKenTag models and designed them to use more water to help avoid that complaint coming from owners.Only on small loads and on cotton/normal does this washer get more frugal with the water levels, unless thos items have some weight to them. I will check my sanitary cylce temp when I do Laundry on Friday and report back. I use the cycle often, the time it takes does not bother me in the least. Most of the time, I just do a delay start on the machine and its ready when I wake up or get home from work.

o

Gates-

I think this could potentially be my next machine.

But the fact that it is LG makes me a wee bit nervous due to what I've read about service nightmares and parts being on back order. Not specifically for this machine but LG in general, unless that's changed in the past couple of years.

o

@ mark40511,

I don't think I'd be too concerned about parts at this time. When I asked LG to replace the board and temp sensor (you can read why a few posts back), those parts were ordered, shipped and arrived within a twenty-four hour time frame. Pretty darn good if you ask me.

o

When I had my HE3t washer, the pump had to be replaced while it was under warranty, it drained but made a loud grinding noise. It took them about 5 days to send me the part and another week before sears could send the service tech here to fix it. I had read about the LG slow service prior to my purchase, still didnt stop me.

o

Yes i agree that getting a washer, or whatever fixed under warranty can be a hassle. I have a master protection agreement through sears and i had to have my whole tub replaced in my front load LG washer. I called for service, they couldnt come out for at least a week and when he did come he had to order the parts, which were avalible, but were sent standard shipping, so i had another repair date to fix the washer 1 week later. So in all took two weeks. Yes thats long, but thats what they do i guess, i know its because they dont want to up the shipping to overnight, or two day. I got the part about 5 days later after he was at my house and ordered it in front of me.

I was going to write sears and tell them they should have like an expedited shipping/repair for us who have purchased their outrageous master protection agreements!

o

From my understanding with the LG is you call the repair service and hold the phone up to the washer and it transmits information to them that in some cases should already tell them what they need to order before they even come out the first time so they can get it done in one trip.

o

Kenmore elite has that feature on the front loaders made by LG, Im not sure if it applies to the HE toploaders for them or the LG washers.

o

Oh that's EXCELLENT!

That's one thing that I HATED when getting a washer repaired (which has only happened to me once)....You schedule a service call.......but you know FULL well that when they come out, they generally are going to diagnose ONLY (not fix!) So... yet Another appt. has to be made. Having the technology to do that so they already know and can fix it in the first trip is GREAT!

o

So i have some very bad news. I told you all that Sears was coming to check my washer for the loud creaking noise. Well A and E came, and took the whole washer apart, im serious. They showed me where the suspension hangs on plastic hangers in all four corners. Well about a few hours after he left i heard a loud boom and the back part of the washer tub is on my concrete floor. The control panel wont turn on, it just keeps clicking. I called sears today and they will come out friday to see and order me a new one of whatever i want. Now im stuck, i dont want another top load after seeing those plastic hinges, how do they hold all that weight? how long will they last? I was doing a load of towels on the towels cycle. I think when A and E started messing with the washer they did something to it. Im serious he had the whole washer top off. Im pissed, upset, mad. I dont know what to get now. Guess im going back to a front loader. I really want an Elexctrolux, anyone have comments on that?

o

Unless you buy some massive all stainless commercial washer for about $10,000 I doubt you will find any today that don't have some questionable parts whether they are FL or TL.

A FL in general will have a greater chance to have bearing problems, seal leaks and mold issues.

o

My guess is Those repair people didnt put your washer back together correctly. I knew of the plastic hangers as you can see them clearly with a flashlight. I wouldnt write off HE TL's, just the service guys who came out to look at it. Electrolux gets good reviews. Some people do not like the push open door but I have played with it in stores and see no issue with it. It wouldnt stop me from buying the set, just the price did. I am sorry to hear about your bad experience. I hope Sears does you right by this bad ordeal. Keep us posted. BTW....yes all washers are loaded with plastic. Some car intact manifold and made from poly too, that doesnt mean they are not strong and cant hold up

o

"Unless you buy some massive all stainless commercial washer for about $10,000 I doubt you will find any today that don't have some questionable parts"

"yes all washers are loaded with plastic"

I haven't torn my Miele (W4842) apart but I'm willing to bet it's not full of plastic parts.

I know someone in high end appliance sales and he's been to Germany to see Miele production first hand. He told me if everyone could see this inside of the Miele vs. the inside of every other make, they would buy a Miele. He said, "no one builds them like Miele". This was one of the main reasons I purchased mine.

And no, it did not cost $10,000.

@fastonetime, when I did my research last year, I ruled out the Electrolux early on. I found the controls felt cheap and the "push to open" door would drive me nuts. They also rank very low on Consumer Reports vs. other brands/models.

The most solid FL machine available today would be from Miele. You will pay for that quality however.

Good luck with your decision.

o

I'd love a miele, problem is sears doesnt sell one and i have to get a replacement through sears of my choice. I dont know what they did, but it really pissed me off and sets me back, now i have to go to the laundry mat to wash.

I wished i had a consumer reports subscription, if any of you do, what are their best front load, or he top load washers, that they rated? I really wanted to get electrolux because of the internal build quality, but it uses a belt driven motor and all the ones i've had were DD. Im so lost, there seems to be nothing out there that, wows me anymore.

o

Front load listed in order of best to less:
Wpool Duetwfw94hex-87
Samsung wf511ab-86
Maytag maxima mhw6000x-84
Kenmore 40272-84
Samsung wf520ab-83
KMElite4413-82
Samsungwf331an-82
Wpool duet steam wfw9700v-81
LG wm3875h-80
Miele w4842-80
GE profile steam wpdh8900-80
Wpool duet steam wfw 9750w-79
GE profile wpdh8800j-79
Lg wm3885h-79
GE wcvh6800j-79
Maytag Perf series mhwe950w-79
LG steamwasher wm2801h-78
Maytag mhwe550w-78
Samsung wf330an-78
Wpool wfw 9050x-77
Those are the top 20.
There are 53 models in all. The Electrolux are:
#30-Elec.IQ steam eifls551-72
#38-Elec Wave Touch ewfls70j-63
The rest are Frigidaire, Haier, LG,Bosch GE.There were 53 models in all.

Top Load best to less:
Wpool vantage wtw7990x-75
kenmore 2800-74
Wpool cab wtw5700x-74
Wpool cab he wtw6800-74
Wpool cabwtw 6300w-73
Maytag bravos mvwb300w-73
Maytag bravos mvwb750w-71
kenmore elite 2900-70
Wpool cab wtw5500x-69
kenmore elite 2947-69
LG waveforce wt5001c-67
GE prof. harmonyptwn8050m-65
That is the top 12 out of 41.
#15 LG waveforce wt5101h-62
The rest are GE Haier KM Maytag Hotpoint etc some are conv. top loaders.
These are from the 2012 CR Buyers Guide

If there is a specific model I didnt include let me know and I will see if I can find it. Hope this helps. The # after the model# is the washers score out of 100.

o

OMG sparky, your the best! Do they also say like how it did on spin cycle, like for the washers, or does it just give a score, i was going to but a consumer reports subscription, but i only need it for like 3 hours to check info on washers lol. I feel stuck, let down, upset, wanna scream! lol. I've spent hours and hours researching new machines and cannot for the life of me pick one. I like the samsung power foam the 520, but i had a maytag neptune back in 2006 that was from hell and was made by samsung. I really love the electrolux, just dont know about the belt driven motor, or some of the reviews. Although the new Kenmores are really Electrolux, the front loaders. They are no longer going with LG anymore for their front loaders. I wonder why go with one brand for a few years then switch? I'm stuck, i really loved my Kenmore (LG) front load, 796.42192 but a year and a half later the bearing went out and the spider cracked on the back of the tub. And i dont even do much laundry, its just really me. My laundry hook ups are in the garage on a concrete floor, as seen in the photos above. Is a everything a lemon now? I mentioned this before, i'd give anything for a 1957 Lady Kenmore!

o

Do they have a report on this one WFW97HEXW, i really like it, but i've read reviews where it doesnt want to spin and takes hours to try and balance for spin. My front load Kenmore (LG) was perfect, barley and noise, always completed on time. I just am not sure about the bearing, do all front load have bearing problems?

o

@fastonetime, the 97HEX is #3. @sparky823 is showing the top 3 on the first line (94hex-97 - it says "87" but think they meant "97")

#1 94
#2 95
#3 97

My parents have a new entry level LG and it's very quiet. Theirs doesn't have a heater (which I would recommend getting).

Unfortunately, nothing today is going to be made as solid as "yesteryear". Other than Miele, I think many of them are similar. I do think you should be able to get a good 10 years out of a new machine though (at least that's what my contact in high end sales tells me). Miele 20 and most other current brands 10.

As important (if not more) to me is the way in which the machine cleans and rinses. No point having a washer for 10 years if it can't clean.

If I wasn't getting a Miele, I would look for the machine that is "rated" at cleaning really well.

Good luck.

o

i dont know what to get, im confused, lol!

o

Sorry I didnt post that exactly right--small print.
#1-Whirlpool Duet model#
WFW94HEX,WFW97HEX,WFW95HEX

The 87 that I listed at the side was the OVERALL SCORE. I put the OVERALL SCORE at the end of each model.
This list the above as follows:
Wash Perf-Excellant
Energy Effi-Excellant
Water Effi-Excellant
Capacity-Excellant
Gentleness-Very Good
Noise-Very Good
Vibration-Very Good
Cycle Time-75min.

I would get them to exchange for the same machine you have now. You liked it before and it uses plenty of water to get the clothes clean. If you have problems with the next one then switch to a different model. AND like I told you the other day on the other forum, close the laundry room door and ignore the squeaking rods. LOL I think Gates says the LG squeaks also so that is just part of it's make up. The springs squeak on my front loader sometimes also but it will be 11 years old in Jan. and it runs like a top--only one repair and that was under warranty--door lock/board. I have the Maytag Neptune that has been trashed to death but I have liked mine.

o

what is the info on the 70 model electrolux, i looked today and saw that one of the plastic housings has snapped in a few places, also there is a small dent in front near the bottom of the unit. I already talked to the Sears Exec that has been working with me and he said no problem on replacement, they just wanted to see it. I asked why not just replace it and see it then, he said that its just they wanan see if it can be fixed on spot, or if parts have to be ordered. He also said if any part had to be ordered that i would automatically get a replacement because the unit is about 7 days old. I really like the green color of the electrolux. i like the whirlpool duet, but i've read how people say theirs wont spin the water out fully.

o

any front loader get "excellent" on the vibration?

o

ELECTROLUX WAVE TOUCH:
WASH ABILITY-GOOD
ENERGY EFFI-EXCELLENT
WATER EFFI-EXCELLENT
CAPACITY-EXCELLENT
GENTLENESS-VERY GOOD
NOISE-EXCELLENT
VIBRATION-GOOD

Cycle time 55 min. score 63/100
I dont understand the Noise is excellent but only good for Vib.I would think if it vibrates much it would have a much lower score for noise.

About Vibration--The Samsungs are the ones rated at EXCELLENT for that. All the others are either very good or good--some are lower-Bosch GE LG(some of them)and Frigidaire Affinity.

Let me know if I can check out anything else.

o

Noise may not necessarily be related to vibration.

I know my Miele is noiseier than my parents LG but some of the noises come from things like the pump when it's draining water.

o

I had a kenmore 796.4219. What does it say about that one if anything. That was the one the bearing went out. What are the ratings for reliability of electrolux. And what was the breakdown score for the lg 5101 top load. Thanks sparky!

o

Hey Fastonetime

OMG- The bearing went out and the spider cracked on your LG Kenmore after a year and a half! Crap!

It's such a mystery to me why some of these washers have spiders (most all made of aluminum). and some are still going after eleven years, yet others dissolve and break apart in such a short time. I've often wondered about the spider corrosion in my Duet that's almost 7 yrs old- but it's still running like it did the day I got it. KNOCK on wood! I would stick with the LG Waveforce. It sounds like they screwed something up. Plastic can be very strong. It's probably plastic designed for that kind of use. Just make sure what EVER washer you get, plug it into a surge protector and NOT the regular electric outlet

o

Kenmore 4219-
WASHING,ENERGY,WATER&CAPACITY--EXCELLENT
GENTLENESS, NOISE,VIBRATION--VERY GOOD FOR ALL THOSE
115min cycle time

LG5101H--
WASH PERF-VERY GOOD
ENERGY EFFI-VERY GOOD
WATER EFFI-EXCELLENT
CAPACITY-EXCELLENT
GENTLENESS-FAIR
NOISE-VERY GOOD
VIBRATION-EXCELLENT
cycle time 60 min. score 62/100

RELIABILITY:
FRONT LOAD:

LG-7%
WHIRLPOOL-11%
KENMORE-11%
FRIGIDAIRE-11%
MAYTAG-11%
BOSCH-13%
GE-14%
TOP LOAD:
ROPER-6%
AMANA-9%
FRIGIDAIRE-10%
KENMORE-10%
WHIRLPOOL-10%
MAYTAG-11%
GE-12%
FISHER&PAYKEL-15%

Electrolux not listed--may be counted as Frigidaire?

Hope this helps

o

Hi Mark, yes my Kenmore Elite 4219 was the one that started this whole process, the replacement process. My FL, Kenmore (LG) started to make this horrible loud noise during wash and spin cycle, sounded like a thump, over and over and over. I called out sears and they said it needed a new DD motor assy. but that i was okay to use it, they said the motor assy was just slipping. So about 1 week later it came and they put it on, noise returned about 3 days later. Called Sears out again and they listened for awhile, played with the drum, then figured it out, the bearing and the spider. Why wasnt this seen in the first place? The DD motor assy, was perfect as i kept the old one. So they ordered me a whole new tub assy. that had the spider pre bolted on the back. I was waiting for the outer tub and the bearings. Well service came on the day they said, but one problem, i only had the tub, no other parts. I called sears executive headquartes to complain and they advised me that the parts were on back order for a month or more and offered me a replacement washer under my master protection agreement. So i went ahead with it and here i am today, 2 months later, still deciding on what to get! :O(

o

Dont you think that if they had left the machine alone it would still be fine today, other than the plastic squeak? I know as I said before that the old Calypsos had this type hanging system(and possibly GE) and I have heard the Calypso make the squeak and creak noise.
As I told you before I hate to have something new with a "flaw" but I have also felt that sometimes I was too picky and would convince myself I needed to get it checked out only to be sicker(& madder)after service. A car for example, have a small rattle, carry in for service, they take half the car apart to fix it, then when you start home you no longer have that rattle, you have three more to go with it where they took things apart--now that is my luck--and I am thinking"Why on earth didnt I live with one small rattle but it is too late to back up then".
Just go forward from here and I think I would try another one like you have. It seems like a great washer and you know that the LG made F/L didnt last you very long so maybe this next one will?.
OH and about Sears using Electolux now instead of LG for front-loaders, I have always been told it depends on who bid the cheapest to build them. Not sure if that is true but I have heard that. Maybe you need to start looking for the 57 Lady Kenmore!

o

You are so right sparky. I shouldnt have called. But ive not owned a top load in awhile and wasn't sure on the noise. It sounded like metal rubbing almost. And i thought at a price of 1600 it should have that kind of noise. You know those balance ball things some lg and samsung FL have. Do youe think they really work? I wished j could find a nice 57. Im going to figure out what to get tomorrow after the sears tech comes and says what happened.

o

Oh yeah, I think the ball bearings work to balance the machine. Mine (Neptune) has the balance ring(liquid filled) around it and without that it would probably vibrate but it never has(knock on wood). That was Samsungs idea first I think and then LG followed suite with the ball bearings. The Neptune you had didnt have that feature cause it was made by Samsung before they came up with the VRT or whatever they named it. I heard some people I know--in fact one was a dealer, who had one of those Maytags(Samsung) and he said you couldnt level it but I think they were blaming it on the motor some way. Let us know what you decide.

o

It was a terrible machine. It walked all over the floor during spin. Id put a load in and at the end the washer would move about 2 feet to the left. Never wanted to fully spin the water out of every other load. It was mah9700aww if im remembering right. I think the control board had something to do with it or the sensors/suspennsion. It was bad. The feet could be leveled and i always made sure it was level but never helped!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here