Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Laundry room storage

Posted by vidyap7 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 23, 11 at 19:30

Hi,

I would like to put in storage in my laundry room. It's a small room. It's the room we enter from the garage - our normal way in. The other door goes to the kitchen. I have a top loader washer and a gas dryer. They are 11 years old, but still working fine (crossing fingers that I don't jinx it). DH says we need to plan so that it's flexible for both top and front loader washers. Our mode of doing laundry is to get a basket of laundry down from the second floor, load it into the washer, put the empty basket on the washer. When doing multiple loads, the baskets stay on top of the washer. We fold clothes in our rooms. Ironing is done when needed in our room.

My needs for this room are:

1. Place to keep washing supplies. I currently have a small moving cart next to the sink where I keep my supplies.
2. Place to store my mop, bucket and cleaning supplies.
3. Place to store some kitchen appliances like a quesadilla maker, blender, etc. Also for some supplies like paper towels, dishwashing powder, etc
4. This is also the place where DH combs his hair, etc before going out. So, need a place to keep some grooming supplies.

This is how the laundry room is currently:
Photobucket

Here is a tentative design I made. Please critique.
Photobucket

Thanks,
V

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Laundry room storage

That's a very multi-functional room! Given the footage, I'd suggest open shelving versus cabinets. You get more space and it looks like there would a lot of door competition. Open shelves also give you more freedom of movement when getting kitchen appliances. Mops and brooms could go on the wall, back of a door or even btwn two spaces using a sliding utility holder. For the hair combing, a medicine cabinet over the sink or a corner shelf should hold the equipment.

This post has been at the top for a while so thought I'd give it a shot.

o
RE: Laundry room storage

As you move forward & the washer/dryer continue to age (mine gave out at about 12 years) replace each with a front loader as they fail. You then can stack them. This one move will save you tons of space. Of course you will want to have a place in your shelves to store baskets since the top of the washer/dryer will not be available. We used ours unstacked for a while until we re-did the laundry room.

You may also want to evaluate your water savings, as well soap savings -- not published, but my Tide bottles last 3 or 4 times longer than with a top loader -- & may be able to justify changing the machines earlier.

You may also consider a pocket door into the kitchen which will save you floor space. Also consider the possibility of having your garage door swing outward (if room in garage) to save some more floor space & open some wall space.

Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here