Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kidziti

*warning* ... whirlpool's extended warranty scam

kidziti
12 years ago

We had a problem with our 2005 FL Whirlpool washer (GHW9100LW2) banging on the spin cycle. We called Whirlpool about options, and they recommended their "Repair Plus One" service contract, touting is as effectively a flat rate repair plan for the washer at $316. We bit. It was a complete scam, and we are shocked that Whirlpool endorses this tactic.

Coordinated through the Repair Plus One plan, an A&E repairman showed up, examined our machine and spent a lot of time on the phone with a plan representative. He then told us that the plan decided to terminate my policy and cut me a check for $282.15 - that the repairs exceeded the worth of the machine. I was not asked about this - the service technician and plan adjuster simply cancelled my policy and I was informed of that decision by the technician.

It was by searching here on GardenWeb for other options in replacement machines that I discovered several parts of this washer are still covered, including the inner and outer tubs, the most expensive part of the repair. When I called Whirlpool about this, they agreed and told me to contact the insurance company that handled the plan. When I did, they told me the technician and adjuster already knew about that manufacturers coverage and calculated that into the final estimate for repairs. They told me to call A&E and arrange the repair.

The final repair estimate, including parts and labor for non-manufacture warranty work, came to $293.62, only $11.43 more than the amount the plan would compensate me for.

When I called A&E about this, asking them to go ahead with the repairs anyways, they told me I would have to start all over again with a new service appointment. I told them they already did that and knew about both my manufacturer and extended warranty coverages. A&E told me they also needed an authorization number from Whirlpool for the covered parts, and that they (for some reason) could not call Whirlpool for that information, and that I was not authorized to ask for it - essentially telling me that the authorization information form Whirlpool was unobtainable. This from a contracted and authorized Whirlpool repair facility that Whirlpool itself set me up with. What a scam.

So I came within $11.43 of getting the machine repaired, but instead I am asked to pay for an entirely separate service appointment and get an entirely new estimate. When I asked A&E if I could get the parts from Whirlpool and call them to do the repairs, she would no longer guarantee the $293 repair even if I paid for a new service appointment, saying, "I would hate to see you get stuck with a higher estimate."

So Whirlpool has taken care of itself, A&E will make sure it gets to charge another service call, the extended warranty service bailed for $11 when they actually had a chance to provide a service, and a dedicated Whirlpool customer is left in the cold after investing in a recommended repair program.

I highly recommend AVOIDING any extended service plans obliged by Federal Warranty Service Corporation, United Service Protection, Sureway, and Assurant Service Protection.

We have purchased Whirlpool appliances for over 20 years. Our next purchase will NOT be Whirlpool.

Comments (32)

• dadoes
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Extended service plans are rarely worth the cost. It's an insurance policy ... the plan carrier is betting service won't be needed and they'll pull 100% profit, while the consumer is betting service will be needed. As with any insurance policy, which party wins majority of the time?

• kidziti
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I agree that extended warranties are rarely worth it - I almost never buy them.

The thing is that, in this case, the damage was already there (albeit undiagnosed), and Whirlpool promoted this as buying a flat-rate repair for whatever the problem turned out to be.

The washer could have been repaired with an $11.43 outlay, but that did not happen because of the administrative barriers they have put in our way.

• sshrivastava
    12 years ago

In my experience, it's never a good idea buying an extended warranty from anyone but the manufacturer. While Whirlpool endorsed this extended warranty you are speaking about, technically it is a third party warranty with lots of conditions. Usually when you buy an extended warranty from the manufacturer, not a third party, you will have better coverage. Sorry about your trouble.

• kidziti
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You are so right. I purchased it over the phone with a Whirlpool rep thinking I was getting a Whirlpool flat rate repair, but instead got a third party warranty. The policy was $316 and the max value they would pay out on my machine was $282 - I was doomed from the start, and while $34 isn't much in the way of loss, it still smarts that they would throw that out as a remedy to a loyal customer looking for manufacturer support.

We're looking at Samsungs and LGs now. Heard Miele was the best, but (1) I don't really want to spend that kind of money on a washer and (2) while many say that Mieles will last 20 years, they still only warranty them for 1 or 2. I can't reconcile why they won't put their money where their mouth is...

• kcred
    12 years ago

I avoid A&E at all costs! I did buy an extended warranty for my F&P washer/dryer and it has paid for itself, but I will not allow A&E to ever touch my machines again.
    This is not a blanket discrimination of A&E, only my own personal opinion based on their service record with me.
    Best of luck to you in whatever you decide on.

• montel (CA US 10b/Sunset 16)
    12 years ago

We had major problems in the past with A&E and avoid them at all costs.

We just purchased a new LG wave force top load washer and steam dryer. We were very tempted to purchase the extended 5 year warranty available through Home Depot for only $198 for both units. However, we decided to skip it since it appears that A&E does the service.

We have a pretty good local repair company that I will use if needed - and we purchased the units on our AMEX so we will get an extra year of warranty...

• kidziti
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, Chris! Sending email today...

• kidziti
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi, folks - thought I would post here that Chris from Whirlpool did in fact get in touch with me and we discussed my situation over the phone at some length. The crippled Duet washer was removed today - replaced wth a Samsung WF330 - and Chris called an hour after that. So there's timing for you!

It appears that Whirlpool does engage with social networking. In my opinion, that's a huge thing with respect to customer service, which was my only "beef" with Whirlpool.

We are working on the situation now, and with Chris' permission, I will post later what we discussed and the resolution. But I wanted others to know that Whirlpool does seem interested in customer issues enough to reach out in my case, and that - in my opinion - is a huge motivator.

That said, everything I have posted earlier is still true - and I have yet to receive any check from the third-party warranty service. So stay tuned. I give a shout out to Chris with another "thanks" - I suspect he's on the ball enough to be monitoring this thread.

• erline57
    10 years ago

We had a problem getting response from the warranty. They claimed thay had no record of the warranty until i mentioned I paid by credit card and had a copy. Then the gentleman, one of many I talked with, told me "as a courtesy this time they would repair my washer and it it broke again before 8-13-13 it would not be covered". (How did he know the date?) After long wait, and several trips to laundramat. A&E came, (He was very nice) discovered it was defective part installed at factory. No cost to me. BUT, I get letters wanting me to REnew my non-existance warranty!
    I purchased a warranty because we are elderly and washer in basement. Lots of trouble getting one hooked up.

• fordtech
    10 years ago

Getting extended warranty is always a tough choice that should be decided before you go buy the appliance. When you are there and admiring your new purchase you get a little too easy to make a sale to. We read all the horror stories of nearly every machine and every brand and get scared of the potential of being hit with a huge bill with a breakdown.
    I purchased a Maytag refrigerator about 4 years ago and purchased a 5 year extended warranty through Home Depot. I didnt feel too bad about that because it was only 100.00 additional. Soon afterward the company went out of business and sold all its contracts to another company.
    But I also got a lot of offers from Maytag for extended warranty as well and the prices were nearly as high as the purchase of the refrigerator itself over 5 years!
    What kind of risk is that if they collect enough to purchase a new machine?
    I am sure glad that for most of my appliance repairs I can fix it myself because between the outrageous cost of manufacturer extended warranties, non manufacturer warranties that are much cheaper but who never actually honor the contract, and the highway robbers that call themselves appliance technicians (and I am not accusing all of them of being this way but a large number of them) I can see how people really are discouraged from buying any appliance. You just cant trust anyone these days.
    Learn to fix some of this stuff yourself and stop being robbed is my best suggestion.
    If you are too old to do it yourself, maybe just buy the cheapest stuff you can and replace it when it breaks. It wont be much more expensive than these bandits. A lot of them only go around diagnosing and not fixing anything because they are getting 150.00 and up to show up and make phone calls..

Oh, and my Maytag refrigerator which later I read a lot of reviews warning about this model being junk, has been perfect in every way. I guess some people just dont know how to care for thier machines and you read a lot of wailing from those who have breakdowns as a result. Dont buy extended warranties based on all that wailing.

This post was edited by fordtech on Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 20:16

• studio460
    10 years ago

I was about to buy the five-year extended warranty for my new $1,500 LG combo washer/dryer from Home Depot for an additional $150 (I'm also buying with an Amex card). Are you guys saying this is a universally a bad idea? I just checked Home Depot's site--the contract is with a company called N.E.W. Customer Protection Company, Inc., Chicago, Illinois (the name of the company in Florida is New Electronics Warranty Corporation of Florida).

• studio460
    10 years ago

By the way, I have since discovered repairclinic.com, and am able to handle most simple repairs myself, if needed. I'll be replacing the rubber rollers on my current LG as soon as they arrive.

So while I'm confident in performing simple repairs myself, it's major components which worry me. Our LG needed service in the first year requiring the entire drum to be replaced. Sure, I could've done it myself, but the parts costs would've been fairly high if this had happened out of warranty.

By the way, has anyone ever made a successful "extended warranty" claim with Amex? It's a curious process that doesn't sound too easy to accomplish. For shipable items, you basically make a claim to Amex, then once the claim is "approved," you send the item to Amex (not the dealer or manufacturer), then Amex presumably mails you a check (or buys the item themselves, and ships it back to you--I don't remember which). I didn't find this out until I made a second exploratory call to another Amex CSR. The first CSR gave me totally inaccurate information ("Yes, you just take it back to the dealer, and they'll 'know' about the Amex extended warranty, and honor it." This is completely false.)

• chanj
    10 years ago

I've been looking to buy a fridge and washer from PC Richards, and was planning to get extended warranties for both.

Does anyone know who services PC Richard's extended claims?

I've heard from lots of people that extended warranties are not worth it - but my biggest fear is that given how appliances are made today (only expected to last a few years and hence will break sooner than you think), I'm afraid I'll end up paying through the nose if anything breaks...

Lastly, how is it possible that the insurance co that handles the extended warranty can terminate the contract single handedly? Is that even legal? Are there ways to fight it?

• studio460
    10 years ago

Most contracts are written to protect the company, and often have a cancel-at will clause, or some other loophole to protect themselves. Usually, these types of contracts have many such loopholes, written specifically to allow the service provider a way out, if they so desire. Read the contract carefully, and, as always, caveat emptor.

Even if the service provider does fail to comply with services contracted, suing for breach of contract would be an expensive proposition since you'd need a lawyer, and they generally start at $200/hour.

I'm not quite sure what to do either. The Home Depot 10%-off sale ends on my washer tomorrow. Maybe it's worth it just for the parts coverage? I don't know.

I will say one thing . . . I had a problem with a cooktop that I ordered online from Sears. Upon delivery from a common-carrier, I noticed a small scratch. The driver called a "special number," then handed me the phone--the Sears person on the other end offered me a $200 credit to my card on the spot. I also heard an incredible customer-service story about Lowes from a co-worker. Lowes made a mistake on a window order which took so long to correct, they offered him an additional $1,000 store credit as an apology. Although I'm sure there are many reports to the contrary, large retailers are often easier to deal with regarding after-sales issues.

Best Buy was a little tougher, and that's why I'm buying my washer from Home Depot instead. I was delivered a stainless steel refrigerator with a small dent. When I called to ask for another one, they put up a fight, and requested digital photos be taken first. But in the end, they sent us another refrigerator.

This post was edited by studio460 on Tue, Jun 4, 13 at 22:50

• fordtech
    10 years ago

After Home Depot hired a scammer to install carpeting I wont do business with them anymore, and I am boycotting them for other reasons anyway.

But I have found Lowes to be of the best integrity wise and have no problem doing business with them. You can even find great buys at locally owned retailers during thier sales if you keep a sharp eye open. I find that the independents offer a better after sale experience, especially if they have instore maintenance/repair services.

Sometimes the after sale experience is more valuable than a discount.

This post was edited by fordtech on Wed, Jun 5, 13 at 7:51

• studio460
    10 years ago

Yes, I would put them in this order: Sears, Lowes, Home Depot, Best Buy. We had carpet installed by a Home Depot contractor and everything went great.

• studio460
    10 years ago

kidziti said: "We're looking at Samsungs and LGs now. Heard Miele was the best, but (1) I don't really want to spend that kind of money on a washer and (2) while many say that Mieles will last 20 years, they still only warranty them for 1 or 2."

We finally decided on an LG. The main reason which stopped me cold from buying a Miele or Asko are the reports of customers having their control boards go bad. This is incredibly bad for a number of reasons: 1.) they're often very expensive parts to replace; 2.) your model may have been already discontinued, replaced by a newer model, so replacement parts are no longer available from the manufacturer for the older unit; 3.) you may be forced to buy a newer, mis-matched washer or dryer; 4.) or, as some have done, ditch the entire $5,000 investment, and buy new, matched units.

• studio460
    10 years ago

Home Depot's 10%-off sale on major appliances ended today (6-5-13), so I pulled the trigger, and ordered our new LG washer/dryer combo unit. A 10% ($160) discount applied, and was already reflected in the listed price; however, some other, mysterious, further discount of $125 also applied at check-out.

Since I felt ahead of the game with the total $285 discount (plus, free delivery), I went ahead and purchased the $150 five-year extended warranty as well [note that Sears' five-year extended warranty for the same machine is $400].

Not sure how good Home Depot's current contract-service provider is (N.E.W.), but hopefully everything works out if something goes south.

This post was edited by studio460 on Thu, Jun 6, 13 at 6:30

• studio460
    10 years ago

Another thing that caught my eye which I thought a bit unusual:

I noticed that under "specifications" on the Home Depot site, the LG unit is listed as "returnable" for up to 90 days--which seems unusually liberal. For the compact GE units we were also considering, under its specifications on the same Home Depot site, it says "non-returnable," which, conversely, seems unusually prohibitive.

This post was edited by studio460 on Thu, Jun 6, 13 at 18:36

• amazer98
    10 years ago

Even though extended warranties would be cost-effective for many products-- such as home appliances with electronic controls-- I refuse to buy them.

Why? For one simple reason: the companies that underwrite these insurance policies (and that's what extended warranties really are) are basically scam artists. When you buy an extended warranty from a company like Best Buy, Sears, Home Depot or Lowes, even though they may give you a brochure with their logo plastered all over it, the policy is really handled by a company like Assurance or N.E.W.

If you do a google search for 'extended warranty' and one of those store names, you'll see a number of websites with a plethora of complaints from people who have bought these policies and then been royally screwed by the companies responsible for fixing the broken products.

If I could be certain that the warranty would be honored in good faith and with competent service, I would buy these plans, even for somewhat more money than the stores presently ask. But, based on the widespread horror stories I've read, investing in an extended warranty is about as sensible as flushing greenbacks down a toilet.

You're better off hiring a competent repairman to fix the unit.

Here's a good tip: many credit card companies will DOUBLE a product's warranty (up to one year) FOR FREE, if you charge the purchase on the credit card. Check with your card's bank to see if this feature is part of the deal--(I think the credit card company reimburses you for any repair costs).

So with this deal, you at least get 2 years of warranty on most appliances.

• mrfixit2013
    9 years ago

I have to have an appliance service because I have 6 rental homes. I did my research before I purchased all six contracts. My contract includes full replacement of any appliance if the unit can not be repaired. I have had to replace 2 washers and one hot water heater in the past 7 years. I pay nothing for service calls. Make sure you READ the entire contract for cost of service calls and appliance replacement. Good Luck

• fordtech
    9 years ago

I could have saved the money on my service contract for my Maytag refrigerator that has had zero problems for 5 years. That was the duration of the contract. I probably would not have purchased it because of the great durability I have had from Amana/Maytag refrigerators but I fell for reading too many reviews from people who supposedly had horrible service from theirs.
    If only all the people who had zero problems would step up and say so, there wouldnt be so many contracts sold.

• Jessie Rae
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

kidziti, Thank you for sharing your experience with Whirlpool extended warranty scam. I was wondering whether to buy the "flat rate" (they didn't tell me it was an extended warranty) and I found your post through google. I will not be purchasing the extended warranty for my Whirlpool dryer repair. Sorry for your hassle, and thanks again

• kgdallas
    8 years ago

I never buy extended warranties. I've been told my too many salespeople I know that 99.9% of the time they're just a scam and not worth the paper their printed on. The retailers count on people buying them only to boost their "bottom line" because the second you need to use the extended warranty they'll find any and every possible excuse to make your repair not covered.

• amp55555
    8 years ago

Would like to second this WARNING. Was just told by Whirlpool that the Repair Plus One warranty program I was sold when I called for a service visit was terminated by them because the repairs would not be "cost-effective" and they would not replace the unit, despite this being part of the pitch to buy it in the first place. The piece of the fine print they didn't share with me was that the First Visit is an evaluation and only "cost effective" repairs are covered (under the $369 cost of the warranty??) and that then for three months after the first visit, repairs are covered or a replacement given. Whether even that is true or not, I don't know. Apparently they are banking on a trouble free three months following an acceptably small repair, and they get to keep the change.

I had even told the original representative from whom I bought the warranty that I believed my repairs would be more than the $300, which made the warranty -- as verbally presented -- a no brainer. She seemed to think that made it worth the coverage also. The service tech seemed to have the same info as me as well, telling me it looked like I would probably be getting a new washer, and that I was lucky to have the Plus One warranty. What a waste of my time!! They did immediately refund my money and not charge me for the service visit. I was told that since they had refunded the money already, that no contract now existed between us. This was just after I asked to have the audio recording of my first conversation reviewed to show them that they had presented the program differently, with no mention of Initial Visits being different or any disclaimers. I had asked enough questions and had had enough doubts about it that the rep had plenty of time to cough up info on loopholes or exceptions in the coverage. So I think this does count as a scam.

• photo54
    7 years ago

Add me to the list of people that have been taken by this scam sadly. When I called in for repair I was told Repair Plus One would cover repair or replacement of my refrigerator. 7 weeks and 4 repair visits later Whirlpool continues to give me the runaround or just complete silence on this. No follow through on agreements to send the warranty info, no callback, no vouchers for throwing away a full fridge of food multiple times (after being promised them). I will never buy another Whirlpool product again and will advise anyone that will listen to do the same. No more extended warranties either.

• schrobc
    7 years ago

purchased samsung refrigerator in December of 2013 from SEARS and purchased a 5 year extended warranty. After numerous repairs (more that my toes and fingers can count) and living out of coolers weeks at a time, finally got them to replace the unit. Beware, as they do NOT replace at what you paid for the unit even though the service contract seems to imply so. After numerous phone calls to various numbers we did receive funds to replace some of the lost food on one occasion and money towards a dorm unit to store my medicine. When you call you get an answer that I am sure the operator is reading as often times the response has nothing to do with your question. Repairman told us several times that there is no fix for this particular problem and it should be considered to be replaced. After about 3500.00 in repairs that the extended coverage paid for they agreed to replace the unit by giving me points on my credit card to spend at a sears store for a new refrigerator that had to be spent within 90 days. Did they think I could go another 90 days without a refrigerator?. We ordered a consumer reports best buy kenmore elite unit and originally were told delivery would be august 6 which was quickly changed to august 13. Soon we received notice that there was problem at the warehouse and delivery is changed to august 27. Still living with samsung that is not working properly. Now we are told delivery will be this afternoon between 2:15-4:15. We have funeral at 3 but may have to miss it due to delivery time. Samsung and Sears are on my list for Santa-not for those that have been nice, maybe for a lump of coal. Glad we bought the extended warranty, sorry we had to wait so long for appointments and the not care attitude of anyone at SEARS.

• Miles Llorente
    3 years ago

Happy Holidays
    I purchased Whirlpool New Hybrid Dryer not requiring venting to outside, and matching front load washer with Steam. The washer gets cloths cleaner than any washer I’ve owned prior, I no longer use additives or bleach. Wash times are longer, but the machines are great quality, 10 year warranty on drum, etc. The dryer gets cloths dry, the set cost more than competitors but those who are buying Samsung or LG, remember they are manufactured in Korea or China, they may have technology, lower prices but when something goes wrong or breaks, parts come from there and often I’ve herd from others who own these appliances, parts are not readily available and they wait months to get the parts delivered and repairs completed. When I read some reviews bout Whirlpools new technologies, people were complaining about routine maintenance. I couldn’t understand why all the complaining, you get your car serviced, oil changed regularly, maintenance insures your appliance wii last. My phone parents still have the same appliances I grew up with, but manufactures cut cost by making the machines not built like they were in the past.
    I’m loyal Apple consumer, the products cost more, but when they have issues, it cost more to repair than buying new product. It angers me now that I’m retired, I can’t afford new every couple years, and for my loyalty, this is how they have such huge profits. Reality, that’s corporate America. I have learned to do the maintenance myself and repairs are easier going to you tube, watch a repairman show you how to do the repair. Whirlpool offered me a 5 year extended warranty, whirlpool uses qualified repairman to service your products. I pay $80.00 a month for 3 months for my extended warranty. It’s insurance should something major happen, peace of mind. I drove from Los Angeles 2 hours to Dana Point to purchase the set, Orange County Appliance Store offered better prices, I saved $400 on the set. Like all new technology, cost more in the beginning, but I suspect this new technology will become the norm, more manufacturing will follow, lowering prices. Whirlpool now owns Maytag, and Amana which are my kitchen appliances. Whirlpool is the largest manufacturer and made here in America.
    Americans still make quality products, if more Americans trusted American products above buying cheaper made in China, maybe the prices would be lower. Remember, you all want better salaries, better homes, better schools, multiple homes, new automobiles, yet why are you not supporting fellow Americans working to make you quality products? One last thing I like to mention, as a Veteran who Proudly served, I like it when people thank me for my service. If you really want to thank me, contact your representative and Senator and tell them to provide Veterans with benefits that are not below poverty living. It’s an insult to those who served. The majority of homeless here are Veterans. It’s bad enough we witness the corruption in Washington, but Veterans deserve better. If those serving now knew how they will be treated after serving and become disabled, left to live in poverty, I doubt that many would serve and give their life knowing that the country they fought for cared less about them later.
    Do your homework, learn all you can about everything in life, you’ll make wiser decisions and better choices!
    God Bless, good luck, and remember that this current crises we will all get through. In the 90’s, millions of men died from AIDS. The government did nothing for more than 4 years. Because it was Gay men dying. Only after Ryan White, and Rock Hudson died, Elizabeth Taylor was going around speaking out for those dying of AIDS, Ronald Reagan finally did something about getting help to those being infected. I’m sorry about the couple hundred thousand who have died, but millions of men who paid social security, who will never get benefits died. Social Security claims to be broke. Where is all the money they took from the millions who died and will never be given benefits. Like I said,the corruption in Washington, and I won’t mention the one who is fired and only became President to keep NY District Attorney for coming after him for all the crimes he had committed. He got into the White House so they couldn’t go after him!
    That’s life!

• HU-394477667
    2 years ago

I purchased an extended plan for my dishwasher, after the motor went out and no part could be found they replaced my old unit with a newer model. I am so glad I did get this extended plan it saved me over $800 dollars

• fordtech
    2 years ago

HU, was this a factory extended warranty or an aftermarket company?

• HU-451698245
    last year

the main problem where we live is there is only 1 company that does repair for Whirlpool and other brands. (CR Cooling) and they are 2 months out. just pitifulidyl. Sears is best way to go and their warranty service as long as they stay in business!