Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pupwhipped

Anyone purchase a Speed Queen in the last couple of months?

pupwhipped
12 years ago

Screw it, I think I'm going to buy a Speed Queen....see my current post/plea, "WWYD? Haven't bought a W/D since 1987!"

Has anyone bought a Speed Queen recently....like in the last couple of months or so? Have there been any changes to newer models that might make them not as good as older models? I've done a "little" bit of research and I see something about extra large water levels not being large at all, and rinsing of the clothes not being a true rinse as in the past. I guess what I'm saying is that it seems that goverment regulations have gotten to the Speed Queen brand, as well.

Anyway, probably don't know what I am talking about, but if anyone has purchased a newer model Speed Queen, could you kindly comment on your experience with it?

Thank you very much. Oh, and I'm still amazed that I have to ask total strangers to hold my hand as I try to make an appliance purchase. LOL!!!

pup

Comments (80)

• jessaka
    8 years ago

we got the AWN412. I never thought I would say I loved any appliance, but I do, and I understand why you do. I even had problems with these cheap and expensive toasters. found two used ones in an antique store and got them both. love them. one was a Sunbean toaster that my mom had and what I bought later but it didn't work right after several years. Well, I did love that toaster. It was the one where the toast goes down and comes up by itself. But I am using the other one I bought because it is prettier. It is a Son-Chief. We really need to get back to Made in America.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

The older toasters are usually wonderful..these new things on the market are poor excuses for toasters..

• Vicky Foster
    8 years ago

Yup we bought a washer awn432sp and love ,love it

• anchoralumna
    8 years ago

I bought my Speed Queen about a year ago. They told me I got the last one at the store with "analog" (dial) controls. From there on, the controls were digital only. I have noticed that you don't really get a hot wash, even when it's turned to hot. I believe I saw some sort of discussion (or maybe even a couple of YouTube videos!) on how to override that. One nice thing is that you can set it to rinse twice. I keep it on that all the time. Even with my old Kenmore, stuff could always use another rinse.

• jessaka
    8 years ago

glad I have the dial controls.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Speed Queen still makes manual dials, AWN432, I just bought one in August and the store I bought it at I'd still having them delivered regularly, they can't keep up with demand...Anchor, I would give someone a piece of my mind, they told you a flat out lie. my Queen gives true hot tap, not dubbed down and I thought the electronic model did also.

I don't find I need two rinses unless it's a rare time I've used chlorine bleach, or overdosed on detergent, one deep rinse is enough for me,

But I'd be in that store like a nightmare asking why they lied to you about the manual dial SQ.

• anchoralumna
    8 years ago

Oh, I have the manual dial. Just reporting what they told me when I bought the machines. I've read enough about the digital controls that I wanted to avoid them.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

My Speed Queen dealer is still getting the manual dials in....and my AWN432 has true hot wash..however I hear this will be changing this year as SQ is having to comply with gov. regulations...people should have a choice, on their washing machine, I'm talking about water levels and water temps...this shouldn't be a gov. issue. I've read somewhere the Gov is now putting their nose in air conditioning and wanting temp regulators installed in all units. I think I read they want all units to cool no more than 10degrees cooler than outdoor air..can't remember for sure it could be less than 10 degrees.

• jessaka
    8 years ago

This is so unbelievable. 10 degrees cooler than outside could still kill some senior citizens. and regulating water in a washer will only cause people to have to do more loads of wash. I remember when we lived in a rental and they came in and changed shower heads, and it took 3 times as long to take a shower, so my plumber husband changed it. I just told him about the digital, and will see if he wants to go buy the washer before it goes to digital. He said, "Wait until I wake up to think about it." I hate digital anything. Our stove is digital. I would love an old one where you could still light the oven with a match and maybe you can ours but I can't figure it out. If you hear more about those air conditioner regulations let me know. Interesting.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Jess, are you thinking about buying another Queen?

• dadoes
    8 years ago

Highly unlikely the air conditioning thing would happen.

• jessaka
    8 years ago

I hope you are right dadoes. mamapinky, we have a kenmore dryer that works, but for how long? We have gone through 2 or 3 in ten years. if my husband said, lets get the dial up if they still have them, i would run to tulsa with him and pick it up and give the other away to the homeless group here. just like i gave them my new toaster. or i would give it to habitat for humanity. I gave away dozens of curly bulbs because I couldn't see with them. I have low vision. So i bought up a whole lot of regular bulbs before they quit making them, hoping that someday they will make some that are light enough to see by. I must say that I really love these led lamps i bought for reading since I could not read even under the regular bulbs, not even at 200 w or 250w.

• jessaka
    8 years ago

hi again,

I just called Speed Queen factory. They have no plans on getting rid of the dial type washers and dryers, so we won't be running to Tulsa any time soon to get a dryer.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

No they arnt getting rid of the manual dial washer but they are going to make it more energy efficient in order to comply with gov regulations.

• jessaka
    8 years ago

oh, I see. glad I got one now. Kenmore made the dryer more efficient, but guess what? it takes 15 more minutes to dry my clothes. how efficient is that?

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

How long does it take to dry a load of towels in your Kenmore?

• jtabstog
    8 years ago

My husband and I have also been researching washing machines. We purchased a new GE washer last year and HaTE it. There's not enough water to wash laundry, clothes do not get clean, and at times clumps of detergent are stuck to the clothes where it didn't even dissolve. We have recently decided to purchase a Speed Queen because we know they are dependable and realized most of the commercial Laundromats, at least in our area and even in places we've vacationed, this seems to be the brand used. From what we have discovered government regulations have affected this brand recently as well BUT the washer( AWN432SP113TW04) we have decided on, has a manual positioning that actually fills the tub. Unlike the manual set with our GE. Wish us luck, hopefully this one will clean our laundry.

• jtabstog
    8 years ago

its a plain jane, n0 bells and whistles,

old school washer

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

I have the AWN432 Speed Queen ..yes it is as close as you can get to old skool now. Hot is true hot tap, not dubbed down. It fills full for wash and rinse and if you still need some more water, you just hold the reset button over. You can open the lid during operation but action will stop, however if you youtube it there is a fix that allows the lid to remain open, it only requires a clothspin and 10 seconds, no tools its very simple. There's also a eco cycle that frankly I don't use, so can't comment on it, had I wanted that I would have bought

a FL'er

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

By the way..you don't need luck, you got a Queen...beautiful clean clothes are on the way

• bernettac81
    7 years ago

I bought a new SQ washer dryer combo approx 2 months ago replacing a 1.5 year old GE HE washer that was garbage! I wish I had read all the reviews on the GE model before purchasing. I did a lot of research before buying the SQ. I love this washer! Clothes are clean and fresh, true hot wash, and full tub of water. Bought the models with the electronic control panel, hope they hold up.

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Congrats you did get a 5 year warrenty right? But they have a great reputation.

• jessaka
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Congratulations. Our Kenmore dryer is making noises, and only after a year. Won't be long before I can get it replaced by a SQ. I still just love our SQueen washer..

• bernettac81
    7 years ago

Yes, 5 year all parts and in-home labor.

• judy0603
    7 years ago

I just paid $850 for a Speed Queen for the 25 year warranty.

My Whirlpool lasted almost 9 years....I'm 65 and will not worry about replacing this one!!!

What bernettac said!! And yes, I wanted old school.

Mother worked at Whirlpool/White/Kenmore/Electrolux for 17 years.

She put whatever label they said for the day!! All the same.

• jessaka
    7 years ago

that is great. but you could live past 85, and that would be good.

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

25 year warrenty???

• judy0603
    7 years ago

OOHHH!!! An awn432 and it has a huge tub...I missed the large tub I had for years before the Whirlpool!!

• judy0603
    7 years ago

I had the soap scum line with the whirlpool--it's because it rinsed with cool water, never hot!!!'

I used those mr clean white things to clean it!!

• dadoes
    7 years ago

Soap scum? You use soap, not detergent? Soap can benefit from warm rinses but detergent doesn't need it. Detergent shouldn't present a scum line unless the dosage is too low or the wash water temp too low to hold laundry soils in suspension throughout the wash period.

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Laundering with *soap can cause a ton of issues with an automatic washer.

• judy0603
    7 years ago

Oh, man; just removed jeans from new SQ and they weigh nothing!! That spin cycle is awesome. I am so pleased with this washer. Means they should dry quicker, but I line dry everything.

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Judy..your Queen rinses in hot???

• jessaka
    7 years ago

They have three settings: hot, warm, cold.

• anchoralumna
    7 years ago

?? On my SQ, the wash water is hot, warm, or cold. Rinse water is always cold. Or maybe I'm wrong?

• jessaka
    7 years ago

we have no idea what our rinse cycle has. never checked

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

I just sent my Speed Queen packing 6 weeks ago and can't remember the rinse temps..LOL.

• dadoes
    7 years ago

Rinses, presumably, are always cold. The temp selection choice refers to the wash water.

• jessaka
    7 years ago

you are right. we wash on warm, and my husband just said that the rinse for it is cold.

• dadoes
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Somebody up above is either seriously confused or purposely using hyperbole.

AWN432 has a 3-year warranty on the entire machine. 2 additional years on the motor and cabinet. 15 years on the transmission (which is only the transmission and parts inside of it ... not the tub seals or drive shaft bearings). Lifetime on the outer tub and inner basket, which is for failure only of those two items and is unlikely to occur.

Their web site currently isn't working to download user guides and warranty documents.

• sushipup1
    7 years ago

I actually looked at SQ machines today. Whoa! This forum is sucking me in........

• sushipup1
    7 years ago

That could be my words, but I am not so eloquent..... ;-)

• monicakm_gw
    7 years ago

Has anyone heard any complaints of SQ being too hard on clothes and causing a larger than usual amt of lint? I convinced my mother to buy one and she returned it in two weeks because it was too rough on her clothes. I would like to go with a SQ when I replace my current washer. I'm really tired of all this conservation crap. I'll conserve somewhere else :)

• jessaka
    7 years ago

It amazes me how excited some of us are over a product. Maybe that is because so many fail, and so to get something that works is great.

I am shocked that my Kenmore dryer is still working since they always fall apart, and I was looking forward to a Speed Queen to go along with my Speed Queen washer. The dryer was making a noise a while back, so it quit making it.

I, too, like that you can add things to the washer. We didn't have one of those newer washers without the agitator, so at least our clothes got clean anyway.

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

I have a SQ dryer bought a year ago. its a good dryer but nothing special, no different than any other basic dryer without the bells...unless you need a matched set I'd just buy a basic dryer, much cheaper and does the same thing.

• jessaka
    7 years ago

Moni, There are different settings on the SQ washer. You can do Regular, Permanent Press and Delicate. Is it the washer that you think is hard on clothes? Mine doesn't seem to be.

Mamapinkyo, I still want the SQ dryer because in the last ten years I have gone through 3 dryers, and that is expensive. Same with washers. The dryer I have was bought before I got a SQ washer, and when it goes out, I will get a SQ. Just that I have read that they last longer. Probably read it here.

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Moni....check out the stainless steel tub in your Queen, closer to the bottom and the entire way around...rub a microfiber cloth or a nylon stocking around it and see if it snags.

For awhile SQ was having issues sending their washers out to fast do to high demand and did not take care to finish the tub around the weld lines. let me know.

• judylaylowry
    7 years ago

Does anyone know if the 2017 models, dial type of machine, have the adjustment screw to raise the water level??

• mrb6228
    7 years ago

I think the current models fill enough as is. Check out this video.